Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM Liverpool v Napoli

Alisson
      55 (43%)
      Alexander Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Matip
      3 (2.3%)
      van Dijk
      19 (14.8%)
      Robertson
      13 (10.2%)
      Milner
      3 (2.3%)
      Henderson
      16 (12.5%)
      Wijnaldum
      5 (3.9%)
      Mane
      0 (0%)
      Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Salah
      12 (9.4%)
      Keita
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Dec 12, 2018 10:11:57 pm

Liverpool 1:0 SSC Napoli: In game and post match discussion.

Read 26231 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Napoli
      Reply #759: Dec 11, 2018 10:38:40 pm
      Bet he's feeling like a pr**k right now, hope he has nightmares of the match but our players and all the fans are this is Anfield signs.

He might be feeling Virgil's tackle for a while
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #760: Dec 11, 2018 10:39:18 pm
      VVD immense clear MOM
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #761: Dec 11, 2018 10:40:31 pm
      Sorry but I saw Henderson put in two crunching tackles so your stats are wrong

Well they might be mate, but I took them from here - https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1328415/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2018-2019-Liverpool-Napoli
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,563 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #762: Dec 11, 2018 10:40:39 pm
      Is this the hardest MOTM poll to pick ever??

Lot of really good performances our there tonite alright
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #763: Dec 11, 2018 10:40:56 pm
      Is this the hardest MOTM poll to pick ever??

One of the easier ones given the game actually. Without the save from Alisson we are sent packing into the Europa and having our league season derailed. Now we progress and go into a big game at the weekend full of confidence and with yet another clean sheet. Few players were worthy of MOTM but for me this is the reason Alisson gets it. He didn’t even have a massive amount to do all game so to still be so switched on is a testament to his mindset over the previous keeping disasters over recent years.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #764: Dec 11, 2018 10:40:57 pm
      What was it about the referee that pissed you guys off so much? He was alright. van Dijk's tackle was a reckless one, and it's in the rules of the game that you a player should be cautioned if he acts with "disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent". So yeah VVD got the ball but it was really dangerous play. Other than that, apart from the odd foul here and there, the ref got everything spot on actually.

He blew up for sh*te little things that are just part of football especially when it happened to a Napoli player.

Crap performance in my opinion.

Oh and he had a turtleneck on.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #765: Dec 11, 2018 10:41:37 pm
      Jürgen is just so special every word that comes from his mouth is just so honest and descriptive . He explains the game so honestly and you just want to say "yes Jürgen we are with you 100%"
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #766: Dec 11, 2018 10:42:57 pm
      What was it about the referee that pissed you guys off so much? He was alright. van Dijk's tackle was a reckless one, and it's in the rules of the game that you a player should be cautioned if he acts with "disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent". So yeah VVD got the ball but it was really dangerous play. Other than that, apart from the odd foul here and there, the ref got everything spot on actually.

Thought he was way too protective in the 1st half, but 2nd half I didn't even think about the ref or consider him an issue, maybe someone had a word with him :D
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #767: Dec 11, 2018 10:43:25 pm
      Fair point I'm his biggest critic but he was good tonight, only slightly poor performance was Gini but who cares, we made it through.

I genuinely haven't got a clue what game you watched that you've come to the conclusion that Wijnaldum had a slightly poor performance. Unbelievable.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #768: Dec 11, 2018 10:43:58 pm

Nope zero tackles won tonight
      1 interception
      Dribbled past twice.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #769: Dec 11, 2018 10:44:11 pm

I don’t agree Diego.

He played the ball fairly his foot has to plant again somewhere - complete happenstance it was Mertens foot......
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #770: Dec 11, 2018 10:44:30 pm

they are still looking for fault with what was tonight a faultless performance he covered the back four right across the line from trent across to Robbo if they needed cover he was there and he put in some really good tackles to say otherwise is just the usual bollox
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #771: Dec 11, 2018 10:44:36 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #772: Dec 11, 2018 10:45:23 pm
      I genuinely haven't got a clue what game you watched that you've come to the conclusion that Wijnaldum had a slightly poor performance. Unbelievable.

Gini was terrific - as he has been most of the season D.

Priests and mountains of sugar ;)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #773: Dec 11, 2018 10:45:30 pm
      Not disputing the Virgil foul and card but I thought he was too keen to stop play for soft fouls mainly on their players. Some of the touchline decisions were a bit iffy too in relation to throw ins. You almost are compelled to expect the benefit of the doubt in a home game and hostile atmosphere the ref certainly wasn't interested in it. The other 4 matches he refereed us in we lost so he was always going to be up against it.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #774: Dec 11, 2018 10:45:51 pm

Gini was a F***ing workhorse!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #775: Dec 11, 2018 10:46:50 pm
      I'm off not going to let any negative posters destroy a great night for this club and for the players but most of all Jürgen my admiration for this man seems to get higher and higher I am just so proud that he is our manager
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,459 posts | 3429 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #776: Dec 11, 2018 10:47:12 pm

Tune into the europa league on Thursday nights
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,697 posts | 3936 
      Reply #777: Dec 11, 2018 10:47:13 pm
      It’s amazing the difference between tonight and in Italy - like 2 different teams.

Make no mistake - Napoli were crap because the midfield 3 sucked the life out of them.

What a save from Alisson - literally i still can’t believe he kept that out. MOTM for Becker 100%.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,697 posts | 3936 
      Reply #778: Dec 11, 2018 10:48:53 pm

Wijnaldum the pick of the bunch for me - he was quite simply superb tonight
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #779: Dec 11, 2018 10:49:01 pm
      Like the fact it was a very controlled approach to the game, we didn’t go gung-ho from the off looking to blow them away. We took control of the game and gradually increased the intensity as the game went on and created just as many chances IMO, whilst leaving no vulnerabilities in our defence. A goal from them would have been a sucker punch.

Commentators were sucking Koulibaly off all game, yet he was left on the deck by Salah and got destroyed on the goal...funny how they forget that bit.

Also, IMO we’ve seen a very similar movement to that. I think the way he stood Koulibaly up and then used a quick burst of pace, leaving him on the deck was very similar to what Torres done to Ben Haim. Very different goal obviously, just the movement to kill off the defender.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #780: Dec 11, 2018 10:49:33 pm
      I thought tonight that we simultaneously played the best football and the worst football I've ever seen. Our goalkeeping, defence, and midfield were immense. The speed and accuracy we passed the ball, the pace of our attack was breathtaking to behold; and then we fluffed it. Chance after chance missed, Mane missing chances that were more difficult to miss than win, although I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to nerves. Never have I seen a more wasteful display from a forward line as from ours today. As I said during the match, 10-0 would not have flattered us. Napoli were comprehensively beaten tonight. Voted Gini MOTM but it could easily go to Hendo, Big Virge, Robertson or Alisson, all of whom were immense. But please LFC, never put me through that again.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #781: Dec 11, 2018 10:49:36 pm
      I don’t agree Diego.

He played the ball fairly his foot has to plant again somewhere - complete happenstance it was Mertens foot......

There was only one place his foot could be planted the way he went for it though, and it was relatively high on his opponent's legs, hence a dangerous play... in other words that's acting with disregard to the danger or consequences to an opponent, as stated by the rules. I know we always seem to think that if a player touches the ball first then everything else is excused, and this might often the case, but those are not actually the rules of the game

Quick Reply