Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 42968 times
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #920: Feb 24, 2019 05:25:03 pm
      Thought Fabinho had his best game yet in a Liverpool shirt. We are a damn good team and we shouldn't forget that. There isnt a Liverpool supporter that wouldnt have taken 1 point ahead of everyone else going into March. Sometimes i think we need a plan B up top but im not moaning, not today. Seen us outplayed at that shithole too many times to complain about today. We were the best team by far.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #921: Feb 24, 2019 05:25:35 pm
      I think I will write to JĆ¼rgen to say being top of the league just isn't good enough and unless the lads can win every game 4 or 5 nil he should just go. Does he realise he is upsetting people who have a right to be entertained whilst sitting on their arses in front of the Television whilst those idiots travelling to Old Trafford sing their hearts out in support.
      If we stumble our way through the next 11 games but still win the league I take it some will still be complaining that winning the league just isn't enough the demand to be excited ,thrilled and entertained every single game.
      Probably a good time to take a break.

If this carries on mate you'll be as pissed off as a lot of us are now. I've gone early and seen enough to look at things realistically and say although we are top there's not much hope of winning the league now. Too many games to go and were dropping point after point. This could be the last week where we can say 'but we are top...'

We look like sitting ducks ready to be shot at.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #922: Feb 24, 2019 05:27:20 pm
      This run in ainā€™t good for the ticker..
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Reply #923: Feb 24, 2019 05:31:56 pm
      Poor showing today. Obviously happy we at least came away with 1 pt, but we severely lack both creativity & that killer instinct. Should have been able to take full advantage of their injuries and did nothing with it. de Gea didn't break a sweat.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,812 posts | 1406 
      Reply #924: Feb 24, 2019 05:33:35 pm
      If this carries on mate you'll be as pissed off as a lot of us are now. I've gone early and seen enough to look at things realistically and say although we are top there's not much hope of winning the league now. Too many games to go and were dropping point after point. This could be the last week where we can say 'but we are top...'

We look like sitting ducks ready to be shot at.

And that is the root of my frustration. We played so well up until recently that it afforded us the cushion we had but now we've burned through it. I give the Leicester game a pass because the conditions were awful, but the West Ham and today's games are inexcusable with how terrible we looked, decent result aside. The West Ham game was probably the worst in recent memory because not a single player had a good game and Alisson let in an incredibly weak goal 2 feet from him. Then today if not for him we walk out of OT with an L and in 2nd place.

We are walking a very tight rope and there is no more cushion left.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #925: Feb 24, 2019 05:34:18 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC_Vines/status/1099709976090685445

Klopp's reaction said it all.

Wasted opportunity today, need to play better sooner rather than later.

I agree with Klopp but perhaps he can reflect on the folly of starting Milner instead of Trent and not making any changes until 70 turgid ineffective minutes had passed. The second Mata and Herrera went off we should have switched to a more attacking mode bringing on Keita and Shaq.

Overall a horrible game again after F***ing warm weather training which I'm struggling to see the benefits of.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #926: Feb 24, 2019 05:36:42 pm
      I think you mean 'Wouldn't' Spike :D

Fixed Rushie mate .... good spot.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #927: Feb 24, 2019 05:40:56 pm
      We're up against the team with most points in the history of the league, in arguably the currently most competitive league in the world, and people are coming up with narratives as to why we're not cruising on our way to the title because half-way through the season we had a bigger lead (our largest was in December). Sometimes it feels as if people would be more confident if we never actually had a larger points advantage. As it turns out, we've been in the top for 12 rounds straight. I'm not telling anyone how they should feel but don't try and project your panic into the players, no one is bottling anything.

I think some of us (itā€™s just us, thereā€™s no we or them, me and you) are led by the ā€œyouā€™re as good as your last gameā€ notion, extrapolating the current form for the rest of the games. Along with assuming that City will win all their games, leads us to think weā€™re not good enough to win it from here. Itā€™s not wrong but I think itā€™s cruel because weā€™re already writing ourselves off.

Itā€™s one thing to be able to ā€œseeā€ an outcome. But the actual outcome could differ. Who could see Spurs lose to Burnley? If only we can all have that little more ā€œhope in our heartsā€... Which we already know not all of us can...
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2019 05:46:00 pm by ruthcity »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #928: Feb 24, 2019 05:41:31 pm
      Alisson's save first half?

That could have won us the title.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #929: Feb 24, 2019 05:44:23 pm
      I thought the midfield did really well, United didnā€™t get a foot on the ball at home which is impressive.

Creativity was put onto the shoulders of the front 3 and 2 full backs and they failed to do so.

It was not a poor team performance it was a poor attacking performance.

I agree, it wasn't an all round poor performance. Midfield did very well, and I voted Fabinho as MOTM, and Alisson and as per usual, Big Virge did fantastic but Matip was poor, lumping long balls forward, Milner offered nothing in attack and the front three were impotent; Firmino's withdrawal can't even be blamed for that because they were woeful before it. Klopp was equally culpable for the performance today. He could see it wasn't working and not for the first time this season, left it far too late to change things from the bench.

By far the second half was our poorest performance this season, indeed for some considerable time but what concerns me is the downward trend we've been on since the turn of the year. Two warm weather training sessions and we may as well have trained in antarctica for all the use it's done us. It's also exposed to squad problems we have, specifically the lack of quality in certain areas.

All this being said, today's result can only truly be assessed once City play here. If they come to Old Trafford and sweep away United we can view it as a terrible point and a missed opportunity. If they come here and struggle and drop points as we have, then we can consider it a valuable point gained. If we do lose the title on the back of this though, those players need to hang their heads in shame because realistically a team doesn't get to make three forced subs in the first half and have a fourth player hobbling around and get to dictate play against our almost strongest team. In short, time will tell the relevance of this result.
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #930: Feb 24, 2019 05:50:45 pm
      As I said earlier their injuries disrupted us far more . We should have smelt blood and gone for the Jugular trusting our natural attacking instincts but seemed to run out of ideas
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #931: Feb 24, 2019 06:00:14 pm
      I think our players should have been hypnotised into believing that this game would win us the League!
      Different mindset, different outcome!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #932: Feb 24, 2019 06:01:55 pm
      I think our players should have been hypnotised into believing that this game would win us the League!
      Different mindset, different outcome!

They should already be in this mindset for every game, without the need of hypnotism this is our biggest chance to win the league in years.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,521 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #933: Feb 24, 2019 06:04:59 pm
      Alisson's save first half?

That could have won us the title.

Absolutely. I cheered that almost as much as if we'd scored.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #934: Feb 24, 2019 06:08:07 pm
      Seriously can't be arsed.

The overreactions on here are comical, including the fuckers we never see after wins.
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #935: Feb 24, 2019 06:13:16 pm
      Some sensitive little souls on here  :lmao:
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #936: Feb 24, 2019 06:14:49 pm
      After all the disappointment of not winning dies down, we'll say stuff like we're top of the league, took a point off United away etc etc....but there are even more questions about our chances being asked after that. They were there for the taking and we hardly created a decent chance.....still we won a point..are still top of the league...it's in our hands..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #937: Feb 24, 2019 06:15:10 pm
      Seriously can't be arsed.

The overreactions on here are comical, including the fuckers we never see after wins.

Perhaps some people have lives, who knows.

Anyway that was the worst performance from us, bar the defence in a defending sense, for as long as I can remember. Today was a great chance for 3 points with their injuries but we had no passion, no skill, no heart, it was pathetic.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #938: Feb 24, 2019 06:17:31 pm
      After all the disappointment of not winning dies down, we'll say stuff like we're top of the league, took a point off United away etc etc....but there are even more questions about our chances being asked after that. They were there for the taking and we hardly created a decent chance.....still we won a point..are still top of the league...it's in our hands..

It's the performance rather than the result which is the issue, they beat us in almost every 50-50, we didn't press, didn't play the right pass, didn't trouble De Gea once! it was bad.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #939: Feb 24, 2019 06:20:47 pm
      Unusual for me but I feel deflated after that result.  Looking at it sensibly, its a point gained at our toughest away fixture yet it was one of those where all our old issues against bus-parkers came back.  Probably the oddest, most tedious game I've seen in 45 years as a supporter!

Looking at it now, I think the lads were pleased to get a draw.  Klopp said they didn't 'feel right.'  Not surprised.  We looked set up for a midfield battle, yet found ourselves dominating midfield and smashing ourselves to bits against the wall of defenders.  We seemed to stop and hold so many times in attack, when the right quick pass would have opened them up before they got organised.  I think we feared to risk losing far more than we wanted to risk going for the win - and maybe that felt right to the lads today.  It was tense out there.  The Manure defended well.
      Midfield did a good midfield job, but a poor attacking one.  Defence was ok but we look nervy at set pieces and slow to get back.
      Our front three were static, isolated from each other and kept over-hitting or misplacing passes.  Service consisted largely of overhit crosses (against a pretty tall team!).

All in all, I'm trying hard to convince myself that we gained a point rather than lost 2, but 29 recent seasons have taught me to be cautiously optimistic on the back of a performance like that, so that's me.  I kind of get everything I'm reading on here, tonight, positive and negative.  Totally get it.  Splinters in me arse from this fence I'm sitting on!

Still, I'll keep singing for the next one.  Come on you mighty REDMEN!  We are TOP OF LEAGUE! 
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #940: Feb 24, 2019 06:33:00 pm
      It's the performance rather than the result which is the issue, they beat us in almost every 50-50, we didn't press, didn't play the right pass, didn't trouble De Gea once! it was bad.

I'm aware of that as is 99% on here. I think everybody will agree that we have a creative strike force and they don't always click or create. The energy was there, but for whatever reason the spark was lacking. Bobby going off didn't help.

United did get back in numbers  and it's not as if their subs are really poor players. So may be we assumed to much, thought they were in disarray when they actually hung in there. Still we should've, considering we lay claim to being serious contenders, at least created chances. No hiding from the fact tho, that it was an opportunity missed.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #941: Feb 24, 2019 06:33:59 pm
      Disappointed not to win cause Utd are sh*te, but gone top again 😀
      Pints of san miguel for 3euro though dulled any pain nicely..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #942: Feb 24, 2019 06:43:40 pm
      Its important to still be in the hunt with 10 games to go and then we can really go for it. We were never going to run away with it.

I think the Watford game is the interesting one because I think not only do we need to win but we also need to play well

Quick Reply