Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool

Read 55431 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,420 posts | 6419 
      Re: 2019 UEFA Champions League Final, Madrid: Spurs v Liverpool
      Reply #92: May 09, 2019 02:13:21 pm
      Can't wait....not sure why everyone is so worried about Spurs. Can they beat us on a given day? I suppose so. Is it likely? I wouldn't put money on it.

If we are fully fit I can't see us losing to them. I just can't. Not after who we've dispatched to get where we are.

(Nevermind the fact we beat them twice in the league and are 20+ points ahead of them in the table).

They are the ones that should feel lucky to even be in the final after their lucky break against City and then Ajax's total blunder of a second half.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6975 
      Reply #93: May 09, 2019 02:22:56 pm
      Significant downside for Spurs is that away goals don't count in a final.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #94: May 09, 2019 02:43:52 pm
      Significant downside for Spurs is that away goals don't count in a final.
      ...and that LFC play both halves.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2019 03:14:32 pm by nikos »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,727 posts | 3944 
      Reply #95: May 09, 2019 03:31:04 pm
      F***ing can’t stop thinking about this.

ANOTHER FINAL!!!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #96: May 09, 2019 03:36:24 pm
      I am so bummed that it's Spurs in the final, not just because i think they will be a harder challenge but mainly because in European competitions i don't like having to face other English teams. I was looking forward to 2 historic teams, Liverpool and Ajax, battling it out in Madrid. I also feel bad for Ajax because they will probably have a Monaco-esque dismantling soon as their best players get poached by bigger clubs and this may have been their best chance at a CL Final for a while.

As for the final itself, i fully expect us to come on top. We have pedigree and recent experience in European finals, while Spurs will be new to the environment. During his press conference after the Barcelona game, Klopp made reference to the team wanting to get back to the CL final to "make it right", since last year's was such a let down thanks to that thundercunt Ramos, so i think we will have even greater desire to win and not give up.

Main concern is being in neutral ground. We use Anfield and the crowd as our 12th man to push us forward, but the atmosphere in Madrid simply will not be the same as if we were at Anfield. Do not believe Klopp has won a game in Spain (someone flashed that stat prior to the 1st leg of the Barcelona game, i believe) but this final should change that.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #97: May 09, 2019 04:08:22 pm
      Lads an ladies, who cares who we play. I’m still not sure how the fook we got there! Let’s appreciate the impossible of turning over Barca 4-0 when all seemed lost.
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #98: May 09, 2019 07:13:02 pm
      Big time gap between Wolves and the final. Nearly 3 weeks. Time to get the players fit and fresh but staying sharp at the same time. Hard to stay focused over that period. 3 weeks is a long time for players who are fit and well not to play a competitive game.

Spurs is a good match up. Obviously we did the double over them. Been said they play better without Kane, certainly the spirit in their camp is great and they have several top players. Could be a high scoring final - 5 or 7 goal thriller wouldn't surprise.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,727 posts | 3944 
      Reply #99: May 09, 2019 07:24:00 pm
      Big time gap between Wolves and the final. Nearly 3 weeks. Time to get the players fit and fresh but staying sharp at the same time. Hard to stay focused over that period. 3 weeks is a long time for players who are fit and well not to play a competitive game.

Spurs is a good match up. Obviously we did the double over them. Been said they play better without Kane, certainly the spirit in their camp is great and they have several top players. Could be a high scoring final - 5 or 7 goal thriller wouldn't surprise.

I think I would honestly pass out and die if that’s the case
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #100: May 09, 2019 07:34:25 pm
      I think I would honestly pass out and die if that’s the case

Nuther night of high drama...wouldn't rule out extra time...even penalties..shredded nerves go with the territory.

..we need the close season break as much as the players.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #101: May 09, 2019 07:42:27 pm
      We need everyone back fit and match fit. I'm just worrying will Bobby be match fit if he dosent play v wolves. Three weeks we need to keep sharp in meantime. Is it not very late for CL final 1st June. Used to be few days after or before cup final.
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #102: May 09, 2019 07:42:32 pm

So one good half of football is good enough?

At Wembley we tore them apart, missed atleast 4-5 sitters. At Anfield , it was a game of 2 halves.  We should absolutely destroy them. We outplayed Barca in in the Camp Nou. Spurs should be easy, especially after the last final.

You called the Barca game but I think your being a bit to optimistic this time. I can't see it being easy. They are wound up for this.They have had some close shaves and might think destiny is on their side. My feeling is this is going to be one of the great finals,High drama right to the last kick.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #103: May 09, 2019 07:58:00 pm
      Will the fact that salah and mane are strict Muslims who practice ramadan to the book no drink or food from 6am to 9.15 pm affect them as it runs till June 4. I  sincerely hope not need keep there energy up. I think.this was an issue last year
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #104: May 09, 2019 07:58:34 pm
      High ticket prices and sky high accommodation and flight prices will test the fans finances. Both clubs getting 16,613 tickets each that leaves 33,000 odd tickets. This is ridiculous in this age where neutral fans can easily watch the game on TV.

UEFA should at the very least give teams 50% of their home attendances.Bout 25,000 each.

Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #105: May 09, 2019 08:01:40 pm
      Will the fact that salah and mane are strict Muslims who practice ramadan to the book no drink or food from 6am to 9.15 pm affect them as it runs till June 4. I  sincerely hope not need keep there energy up. I think.this was an issue last year

Think they can get special dispensation for essential employment issues. But their wishes in respect of their beliefs must be respected obviously.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #106: May 09, 2019 08:08:34 pm
      You called the Barca game but I think your being a bit to optimistic this time. I can't see it being easy. They are wound up for this.They have had some close shaves and might think destiny is on their side. My feeling is this is going to be one of the great finals,High drama right to the last kick.

I mean, if you were to analyse previous Spurs matches, there is lots of luck involved. Against city, Aguero missed a penalty, Laporte gifted them 2 goals, and the third Llorrente goal was a spawny goal.

Against Ajax though, they subbed Llorrente on in second half, and started hoofing it to him, which proved to be a known weakness of this Ajax side. Blind couldn't cope with him. And Ajax being Ajax just never knew how to play defensively which ultimately was their downfall. I mean who the f**k attacks in injury time, just take the ball to corner and waste the time.

To say that this Spurs team, who are playing their first final, would be tough to play is a bit of over estimation of them IMO. There is a reason they lost 13 in the league, which includes 2 from us. Out of the 4 halves they've played against us, only in 1 they were better. We have the experience of the final, and the failure too , to fuel us for Madrid. I think we will tear them a new one, but then again that is my opinion.
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #107: May 09, 2019 08:23:12 pm
      I mean, if you were to analyse previous Spurs matches, there is lots of luck involved. Against city, Aguero missed a penalty, Laporte gifted them 2 goals, and the third Llorrente goal was a spawny goal.

Against Ajax though, they subbed Llorrente on in second half, and started hoofing it to him, which proved to be a known weakness of this Ajax side. Blind couldn't cope with him. And Ajax being Ajax just never knew how to play defensively which ultimately was their downfall. I mean who the f**k attacks in injury time, just take the ball to corner and waste the time.

To say that this Spurs team, who are playing their first final, would be tough to play is a bit of over estimation of them IMO. There is a reason they lost 13 in the league, which includes 2 from us. Out of the 4 halves they've played against us, only in 1 they were better. We have the experience of the final, and the failure too , to fuel us for Madrid. I think we will tear them a new one, but then again that is my opinion.

And I've no reason to argue those points with you. They have had their problems but this is a one off final and although this is their first big final for some considerable time they have very experienced professionals in most positions.They won't freeze or underperform because it's a final. Not claiming you are underestimating them.We both know things can go wrong. My feeling is it will be a cracker.We will have to be at our best to beat them. Form this season makes us favourites but it's not a factor IMO. On the day or night we will have to beat a fine Spurs team that don't lie down easy. We can beat them and I believe we will but it's going to take both teams to the limit.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #108: May 09, 2019 08:25:46 pm
      A couple of days ago if you said we be in a champions league final and play spurs we been delighted. Man city I think would love to swap places with us even if it meant they were behind us in the league. It must inspire Brighton too that anything is possible. I'm just hoping Brighton have a good go. Swansea showed if you go at city you can get rewarded. If you sit back and invite pressure it's very hard to keep them out for 90 mins. Brighton are at home and safe so nothing to lose have a go ask questions of city backline.
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #109: May 09, 2019 08:36:09 pm
      A couple of days ago if you said we be in a champions league final and play spurs we been delighted. Man city I think would love to swap places with us even if it meant they were behind us in the league. It must inspire Brighton too that anything is possible. I'm just hoping Brighton have a good go. Swansea showed if you go at city you can get rewarded. If you sit back and invite pressure it's very hard to keep them out for 90 mins. Brighton are at home and safe so nothing to lose have a go ask questions of city backline.

Good post. Yes I think our heroics inspired Spurs a little bit. You imply that teams lower down haven't put in the effort against City. That used to happen to United. That intimidation factor was worth a goal start to United and City are getting similar undeserved respect.

Lets hope this "never give up" mentality has spread to Brighton. If you have belief you have a chance. Question is-will Brighton bother ?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #110: May 09, 2019 08:47:48 pm
      I can’t shake this horrible worried feeling - similar to how I felt against city in Europe.

Playing an English team is f**king horrible

Yes it will be horrible, Horrible for f***in them, they will think they can get the better of us because they know us too well from our league encounters, however, we are a totally different animal when we play at CL level, that will be their downfall, that then add their ‘Rabbit in the headlights’  first final inexperience,
      Whereas we’ve been their done that wear the T-shirt,

I think we will f***in batter them,  they won’t get a f***in sniff unless it’s their missus panties, seriously, I’ll be shocked if we’re not 2-0 up at HT,

We’ll have Bobby & Mo back by then, back to run f***in riot all over their panicky back line and sh*t Keeper.
      No6,No6,No6No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6.No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6, No6.

F**k OFF SPUDS !!!

YNWA
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #111: May 09, 2019 08:59:30 pm

Yes it will be horrible, Horrible for f***in them, they will think they can get the better of us because they know us too well from our league encounters, however, we are a totally different animal when we play at CL level, that will be their downfall, that then add their ‘Rabbit in the headlights’  first final inexperience,
      Whereas we’ve been their done that wear the T-shirt,

I think we will f***in batter them,  they won’t get a f***in sniff unless it’s their missus panties, seriously, I’ll be shocked if we’re not 2-0 up at HT,

We’ll have Bobby & Mo back by then, back to run f***in riot all over their panicky back line and sh*t Keeper.
      No6,No6,No6No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6.No6,No6,No6,No6,No6,No6, No6.

F**k OFF SPUDS !!!

YNWA
      Feel the same way.

First timers in the final of this competition by rule go down to history as finalists and feel honoured with this tag in the end.

Can’t see why they would be an exeption.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2019 09:05:50 pm by nikos »
      Harrisimo

• 8,389 posts | 1422 
      Reply #112: May 09, 2019 09:04:08 pm
      First timers in the final of this competition by rule go down to history as finalists and they are happy in the end.

Don't think we can read to much into this first final stuff. They won't freeze. We can't take anything for granted. We will win but it won't be easy. I doubt Klopp will even mention it's their first final.We go in fully prepared and expecting a very hard game and we will have to be on top blob to win it.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #113: May 09, 2019 09:10:20 pm
      Don't think we can read to much into this first final stuff. They won't freeze. We can't take anything for granted. We will win but it won't be easy. I doubt Klopp will even mention it's their first final.We go in fully prepared and expecting a very hard game and we will have to be on top blob to win it.
      Nothing is taken for granted.

This is only statistics and fan’s sentiments.

Our players need to stay focused on the task until the end.

What I am suggesting is big clubs know better how to be more effective under the pressure of a final.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019 09:20:59 pm by nikos »
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #114: May 09, 2019 09:23:06 pm
      I think the intensity of the title race, with the relentless pressure (which we’ve never seen in any previous race imo) stands us in good stead for this.

We have played the last 3 months knowing each time that any slip up will cost us the league. We can transfer that ability to cope with the pressure to this, whereas Spurs don’t really have any previous or recent experience to rely on.

Quick Reply