Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

Read 43721 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1531 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #230: Jun 05, 2020 01:03:49 pm
      If you're not going to strengthen when you've just won the ECL and PL, when are you going to?

I can't believe we are pulling out and letting a rival gain ground on us. 24 years of age, his prime to come, most prolific, wants to play for us, but it ain't happening?

Mr. Henry, why?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #231: Jun 05, 2020 01:19:05 pm
      If you're not going to strengthen when you've just won the ECL and PL, when are you going to?

I can't believe we are pulling out and letting a rival gain ground on us. 24 years of age, his prime to come, most prolific, wants to play for us, but it ain't happening?

Mr. Henry, why?

If you've been laid off work because of coronavirus, and you've used up a good chunk of your savings, do you go out and buy a new car?

Of course not, unless you're Abramovich, who loans the club money, charges interest on it, and uses it to avoid taxes, then gets charged for breaking FFP rules (something we have come under scrutiny for).

I understand the frustration, but from the start, these owners have stated very clearly "The Club will only spend the revenue it generates."

I don't understand people kicking off over something we've known for years.

On top of that, I understand we've expored the usual system of spreading payments over the length of the players contract, but Werner's club apparently want it all in one go.
      It's just another nail in the coffin of the deal.

We'll look elsewhere, we'll sign someone nobody expected, and some will moan because they think the player won't fit or isn't good enough, or because we haven't spent as much money as some sugar daddy club.

Then it'll turn out Klopp got it right again, and no bugger will backtrack or admit they got it wrong.

Trust the manager.
      He hasn't steered us wrong so far.
      « Last Edit: Jun 05, 2020 01:25:30 pm by Swab »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #232: Jun 05, 2020 01:22:39 pm
      If you've been laid off work because of coronavirus, and you've used up a good chunk of your savings, do you go out and buy a new car?

Of course not, unless you're Abramovich, who loans the club money, charges interest on it, and uses it to avoid taxes, then gets charged for breaking FFP rules (something we have come under scrutiny for).

I understand the frustration, but from the start, these owners have stated very clearly "The Club will only spend the revenue it generates."

It's ridiculous.

I've seen calls again for FSG Out on Twitter by some idiots.

We're about to win the league on the back of a European Cup, Super Cup and Word Club treble.

We will sign players again and Jürgen has proven under these owners he can build a strong squad. That will happen again just don't expect huge transfers this summer.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #233: Jun 05, 2020 01:24:26 pm
      It's ridiculous.

I've seen calls again for FSG Out on Twitter by some idiots.

We're about to win the league on the back of a European Cup, Super Cup and Word Club treble.

We will sign players again and Jürgen has proven under these owners he can build a strong squad. That will happen again just don't expect huge transfers this summer.

I edited the previous post which pretty much says the same things mate.

It's like it's a F***ing sport for some people.
      Same sh*t every year.

The papers link us with a player, and if the deal doesn't happen, some people lose the plot.
      It's F***ing standard at this point.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 319 posts | 80 
      Reply #234: Jun 05, 2020 01:53:27 pm
      FSG is taking major financial hits on 3 fronts currently due to Covid.
      Cautionary / disciplined spending during uncertain times is their only course.
      LFC is in better financial shape than 95% of the teams and will emerge from this phase in tremendous financial shape comparatively speaking.
      In the mean time, LFC has a roster that dominates its league.
      How can anyone complain?

That being said, I'd feel even better if LFC removes Lovren from the current equation.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1531 
      Reply #235: Jun 05, 2020 02:02:31 pm

On top of that, I understand we've expored the usual system of spreading payments over the length of the players contract, but Werner's club apparently want it all in one go.

We'll look elsewhere, we'll sign someone nobody expected, and some will moan because they think the player won't fit or isn't good enough, or because we haven't spent as much money as some sugar daddy club.

Then it'll turn out Klopp got it right again, and no bugger will backtrack or admit they got it wrong.

Trust the manager.
      You say trust the manager, and I do. I also read that Klopp told the club he would be a good fit for Liverpool. Come on, are you telling me we don't have £53m after the ECL win, not buying anyone last season, and money coming from winning the 2019-2020 Premier League title? I don't buy that.

EDIT: I'm also old enough to know how it works. I understand the virus is dictating a lot of things right now. I'm not calling for anyone to be removed or other knee jerk reactionary statements like that. I'm just disappointed we are seeing a rival close the gap on us with a player who wanted to come here. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,408 posts | 6411 
      Reply #236: Jun 05, 2020 02:05:22 pm
      You say trust the manager, and I do. I also read that Klopp told the club he would be a good fit for Liverpool. Come on, are you telling me we don't have £53m after the ECL win, not buying anyone last season, and money coming from winning the 2019-2020 Premier League title? I don't buy that.

Settle down now, you aren't allowed to be disappointed that the club have missed out on a hugely talented player (available at a really good price) that would give us  some insurance (not to mention possibly a future star) for years to come.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #237: Jun 05, 2020 02:08:52 pm

I'm saying we have players rewarded with huge new contracts, a new stand, plans to expand another stand, a new training facility, and no idea where our revenue will will be coming from for the foreseeable future.

A lot of clubs are doing exactly the same thing we are.

Usually, you have a pretty good idea about revenue forecasts.
      At the moment it's all up in the air, including TV money which is a pretty big chunk, not to mention no matchday revenue, which includes all the merch sold on matchday, hospitality, concession stands and everything else.

Our wage bill was already about 58% of turnover before this sh*t started.

If it can't be done, it can't be done.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1531 
      Reply #238: Jun 05, 2020 02:10:15 pm
      Settle down now, you aren't allowed to be disappointed that the club have missed out on a hugely talented player (available at a really good price) that would give us  some insurance (not to mention possibly a future star) for years to come.

Exactly FL, I understand how it might not happen because of this or that, but come on, everyone now and again you just know it makes sense to the point that you make sure it does happen. Nothing about this Werner saga makes sense to me. We ain't Chelsea or City, but we ain't broke, either. Or shouldn't be. It's called strengthening the team, something we didn't do last summer either. There are few issues here not adding up for me.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #239: Jun 05, 2020 02:12:03 pm
      Exactly FL, I understand how it might not happen because of this or that, but come on, everyone now and again you just know it makes sense to the point that you make sure it does happen. Nothing about this Werner saga makes sense to me. We ain't Chelsea or City, but we ain't broke, either. Or shouldn't be. It's called strengthening the team, something we didn't do last summer either. There are few issues here not adding up for me.

Oh come one, you're not going to go down the road of "they're taking money out of the club" again are you?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #240: Jun 05, 2020 02:18:00 pm
      Just seen on twitter someone posting a breakdown of the money

£52 mil fee

Plus -£12 mil to the agent

Wages are - £16mil a year over 5 years

So that’s a potential outlay of £140mil for a player who would be there to support and back up the front three !!

No point taking the fee into it because it’s about 3mill more than what they will be getting for Morata. The fee is irrelevant, it’s essentially not coming out of their pocket.
      The only thing they are paying for is the agent and his wages.

Ultimately, he just wants to play in the Premier League, he couldn’t give a toss what team that’s for because if he did then he’d have waited 6/12months and could likely have come to us. Which kind of tells me whoever he signs for he will have no real allegiance to so the minute a team like Juve or Madrid come knocking then he will happily be off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #241: Jun 05, 2020 02:19:42 pm

Trust the manager.

Can you please explain how the club has had to use savings in your analogy? The only revenue which should have dried up is ticket sales for 5 home fixtures, merchandising should be more or less the same,  TV earnings should be the same, same with sponsorship's etc. If we are really that close to the bone that we can't afford to stump up an extra £16m then God help us because we are a second wave away from liquidation.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,282 posts | 933 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #242: Jun 05, 2020 02:24:49 pm
      The top and bottom of all this is were a buissness here to make money for our owners nothing to do with our history. They are not like City's owners or Chelsea who run there team for pleasure were here to make money plain and simple. For all us supporters this was a terrible decision for FSG it was poor business end of something I fear we will live to regret
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #243: Jun 05, 2020 02:26:16 pm
      I'm saying we have players rewarded with huge new contracts, a new stand, plans to expand another stand, a new training facility, and no idea where our revenue will will be coming from for the foreseeable future.

A lot of clubs are doing exactly the same thing we are.

Usually, you have a pretty good idea about revenue forecasts.
      At the moment it's all up in the air, including TV money which is a pretty big chunk, not to mention no matchday revenue, which includes all the merch sold on matchday, hospitality, concession stands and everything else.

Our wage bill was already about 58% of turnover before this sh*t started.

If it can't be done, it can't be done.

???? No idea where our revenue will come from?? What in the hell are you talking about? The only revenue stream which has dried up for the foreseeable is Gate receipts but that is peanuts compared to TV revenue and if anything could be replaced with virtual season tickets. Sponsorship deals are locked in, so is merchandising. We have plenty of revenue streams and there is no reason at all why we could not find the extra money for a top top talent who has now gone to our rival instead.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,282 posts | 933 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #244: Jun 05, 2020 02:27:30 pm
      Stu, if we were doing sh*t mate I'd listen to your argument and probably have a go myself, f**k knows I have in the past on these boards but we HAVEN'T got a sh*t squad, we ARE winning stuff and for me at least, the future looks f**king good man.

If Werner goes to Chelsea it's because we didn't want him and let's leave any fsg sh*t aside and be totally honest here, if Jürgen wanted him, he would've got him.

Maybe he wanted more money, maybe he wanted Chelsea, who gives a sh*t, we carry on as we were, with a quality team of lads that I f**king love and we also carry on winning trophies.

Open your eyes see what FSG are doing. Were here to make money out of, end of
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #245: Jun 05, 2020 02:29:43 pm

That is probably true, but they only make money if the team is successful, what I fear now is that Chelsea and City will be serious competitors next season, whilst we yet again have to hope none of our front three get tired or injured.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #246: Jun 05, 2020 02:32:33 pm
      Littered with missed transfer targets? We done a treble last year and we're going to win the league for the first time in 30 F***ing years. Not bad really seeing as we missed all these transfer targets. Also, as a little aside and for the future, the kids won the fa youth cup last year.

As for the new training ground. Are you seriously trying to say it was just to get everything in one place? Grasping at straws to prove a point there mate. Have you even looked at what's going on there? Millions spent on pitches that match Anfield, youth and first team training together to breed success for the future.
      Nothing that's happening as regards that development is just 'tidying up'.

All that's going on in and around the club is part of a plan to make the club stronger and more sustainable long term and not signing a player who may or may not have been a fit doesn't and shouldn't affect that.

If you've got a problem with fsg then fair enough but just ignoring the good that they've done just to have a dig makes you look foolish to be honest.

Sorry to just pick one part out, but this is a really good point, and this kind of facility is well overdue.

It bodes well for the future of the club.

It also says a lot that we are laying out pretty hefty sums on facilities, and still winning trophies.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #247: Jun 05, 2020 02:33:49 pm

The accounts are freely available online for anyone to look at.

Go ahead and show the money they are taking out.

In other words, put your money where your mouth is or stop chatting sh*te.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4593 
      Reply #248: Jun 05, 2020 02:34:15 pm
      Has he signed for anyone yet..?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #249: Jun 05, 2020 02:35:26 pm
      Has he signed for anyone yet..?

Media gossip that the usual suspects are taking as gospel.

At this point I don't give a sh*t who we sign, because I trust JK 100%
      That goes for if we don't sign anyone as well.

If we signed someone the same people would be whinging that they were keeping a young lad out of the team.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #250: Jun 05, 2020 02:38:40 pm
      ???? No idea where our revenue will come from?? What in the hell are you talking about? The only revenue stream which has dried up for the foreseeable is Gate receipts but that is peanuts compared to TV revenue and if anything could be replaced with virtual season tickets. Sponsorship deals are locked in, so is merchandising. We have plenty of revenue streams and there is no reason at all why we could not find the extra money for a top top talent who has now gone to our rival instead.

The issue I can see is there is no is guarantee that this remaining season will be played out in full and next season will be played out in full let along what restrictions will have. We seen how quick things can change with what happen with COVID-19, in the blind of eye things can be shut down and if that happen then TV deal/Sponsorship will be looking for some of their money back because they are not provided with the service they paid for.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #251: Jun 05, 2020 02:38:52 pm
      F***ing business men coming over here to make money off their business, bas**rds.

Mate, I don't give a sh*t how much they make as long as we're successful and at the moment we are so I'll reserve my knee jerk reactions for a time that deserves a knee jerk, never.

All this F***ing negativity because we haven't signed one F***ing player, as though he was F***ing Messi or something.

He may not have wanted to come.

We wanted to pay £48m

Chelsea have offered £52m

Klopp may not have wanted him.

He may have decided he wanted Chelsea instead.

He might of wanted an extra 50k a week.

The list is endless depending on what your agenda is.

I don't give a F**k but all the veiled anti fsg sh*te is F***ing riling.

If anybody's got an issue with fsg just F***ing say it, don't use stupid F***ing reasons to justify some illogical hatred of them, it's weak as F**k.

They won't make money until they sell us, and by all accounts Mike Gordon is here for the long term, and may end up buying the rest of JH's share.

I don't know the truth of it obviously, but it's fair to say Gordon made a massive statement by increasing his stake and taking over running the club while JH concentrated on rounders.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4593 
      Reply #252: Jun 05, 2020 02:41:29 pm
      Media gossip that the usual suspects are taking as gospel.

At this point I don't give a sh*t who we sign, because I trust JK 100%
      That goes for if we don't sign anyone as well.

If we signed someone the same people would be whinging that they were keeping a young lad out of the team.

Yup...

Still believe he will be a LFC player this summer..

Quick Reply