Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

Read 43625 times
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Re: Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
      Reply #253: Jun 05, 2020 03:02:30 pm
      Yup...

Still believe he will be a LFC player this summer..
      No he wont?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #254: Jun 05, 2020 03:09:59 pm
      If you've been laid off work because of coronavirus, and you've used up a good chunk of your savings, do you go out and buy a new car?

Of course not, unless you're Abramovich, who loans the club money, charges interest on it, and uses it to avoid taxes, then gets charged for breaking FFP rules (something we have come under scrutiny for).

I understand the frustration, but from the start, these owners have stated very clearly "The Club will only spend the revenue it generates."

I don't understand people kicking off over something we've known for years.

On top of that, I understand we've expored the usual system of spreading payments over the length of the players contract, but Werner's club apparently want it all in one go.
      It's just another nail in the coffin of the deal.

We'll look elsewhere, we'll sign someone nobody expected, and some will moan because they think the player won't fit or isn't good enough, or because we haven't spent as much money as some sugar daddy club.

Then it'll turn out Klopp got it right again, and no bugger will backtrack or admit they got it wrong.

Trust the manager.
      He hasn't steered us wrong so far.

Remember the mantra of the Internet armchair Fan: "Don't just stand there....SPEND something."
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,160 posts | 3467 
      Reply #255: Jun 05, 2020 03:15:23 pm
      If it was only Werner, then that's a fair argument. But it's not just Werner. Their time in charge is littered with missing out on transfer targets, because they refused to pay the going rate. This is the latest case, and there will be more.

The new training ground is simply to move all the different club sites and centralise them in one spot. I've no issue with that in itself, it makes sense logistically, but if we want to be competing for multiple trophies per season as our rivals are, we'll need a bit more investment in the future than a new training ground.

Who are these targets We are missing out

Have you not considered the idea that Klopp has a say in it as well
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #256: Jun 05, 2020 03:30:44 pm
      It's that a question or a statement?

It's worded as a statement but the question mark has me caught in a quandary.
      an inquisitive statement Mr big words
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #257: Jun 05, 2020 03:57:05 pm

Care to expand on this... have you 100% proof or are privy to conversations between clubs, player & manager..?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #258: Jun 05, 2020 04:06:44 pm
      I really hope we've passed on Werner to peruse either Sancho or Havertz this Summer.

We definitely need one top signing this Summer to keep the squad strong next season and we're missing a creative player in the side.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #259: Jun 05, 2020 04:16:02 pm
      I really hope we've passed on Werner to peruse either Sancho or Havertz this Summer.

We definitely need one top signing this Summer to keep the squad strong next season and we're missing a creative player in the side.

I think we're about to sign Marco Reus.

Finally!
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #260: Jun 05, 2020 04:21:39 pm
      I think we're about to sign Marco Reus.

Finally!

Nope it's David Villa and David Silva.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #261: Jun 05, 2020 04:27:09 pm

😂😂😂😂
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #262: Jun 05, 2020 04:48:18 pm
      Care to expand on this... have you 100% proof or are privy to conversations between clubs, player & manager..?
      I do not I wish I did though.. Care to expand on why you think the player still ends up at LFC haha
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,493 posts | 232 
      Reply #263: Jun 05, 2020 05:17:11 pm
      Nope it's David Villa and David Silva.

Its neither them. Its Dani Alves, Simao and Carlton Cole all returning from retirement to finally make their long awaited signings.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #264: Jun 05, 2020 05:29:27 pm

The clubs mouthpiece journalists are all reporting we aren’t going to go after him and he’s going to Chelsea. Pearce and Reddy, etc don’t report anything anymore unless the club gives them the info so I’d be willing to bet it’s a done deal.

It is what it is, I just don’t buy that Jürgen wasn’t interested. If he’s really had a conversation with him which is widely reported that he has, then he was obviously interested. And if he was interested and we didn’t get him then it likely is due to finances which is unfortunate and which also means we shouldn’t be holding our breath for any other significant incomings. Hopefully we don’t have any significant injuries from our forwards next season and hopefully Afcon gets moved or cancelled altogether. If not Origi and Minamino better step up their game.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #265: Jun 05, 2020 05:30:33 pm
      Care to expand on why you think the player still ends up at LFC haha

Until I see the lad holding up a jersey other than Liverpool FC’s .. I have hope.

Forget the media speculation.. the club are not going to pay the asking price from the off & then expect to get other deals at lower prices...

Remember when Fabinho was going to United..?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #266: Jun 05, 2020 05:37:20 pm
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #267: Jun 05, 2020 06:28:48 pm
      Would be sad to see him in a Chelsea shirt, but I'd rather go for Haveertz I think he's a better fit. Could rotate in midfield and probably play the Bobby role once the time comes
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,365 posts | 8617 
      Reply #268: Jun 05, 2020 07:08:25 pm
      Couldn't be arsed reading the proceeding four or five pages. I imagine a few people got their knickers in a twist etc. I'm too busy getting giddy about the title to start cry-arsing about transfers.

I did read somewhere online before on way home from work that supposedly Klopp has switched from wanting Timo to wanting Ousmane Dembele, but could just be press bullshit.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #269: Jun 05, 2020 07:49:18 pm
      From The Athletic:

"Werner set Liverpool a separate deadline to make a final decision on whether they were prepared to meet his release clause. Klopp consulted with Fenway Sports Group, then called the striker to explain why the move would not happen. Sources have told The Athletic that the Liverpool manager insisted the reasoning was purely financial, rather than any negative reflection on the player or his proposed role in Klopp’s squad. Werner accepted the explanation and the two men remain on good terms.

FSG does not take money out of Liverpool, but they do expect the club to live within its means. During the COVID-19 shutdown, the message coming from the highest levels at Anfield has been that there will be no major signings in the coming transfer window. The wage bill stands at £310 million and when the club reversed its decision to furlough staff in April, chief executive Peter Moore warned of “unprecedented operating losses” as a result of the pandemic.

When contacted by The Athletic, Liverpool insisted the decision to pass on Werner was not a financial one. It would, however, have been a vast outlay for a player who would have started his Anfield career as a substitute. Klopp can currently field arguably the most devastating front three in world football, and Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah are all in their prime years.

He had been planning to ease Werner into the starting XI around January 2021, when Africa Cup of Nations commitments were scheduled to occupy Mane and Salah for up to six weeks. But with that competition increasingly likely to be pushed back to 2022 as football’s schedule adapts to the effects of COVID-19, such expensive and high-calibre squad cover next season is less necessary.

Liverpool’s withdrawal opened the door for other suitors. Werner’s representatives re-opened talks with Manchester United and Chelsea."
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #270: Jun 05, 2020 08:05:35 pm
      Stu, if we were doing sh*t mate I'd listen to your argument and probably have a go myself, F**k knows I have in the past on these boards but we HAVEN'T got a sh*t squad, we ARE winning stuff and for me at least, the future looks F***ing good man.

If Werner goes to Chelsea it's because we didn't want him and let's leave any fsg sh*t aside and be totally honest here, if JĂźrgen wanted him, he would've got him.

Maybe he wanted more money, maybe he wanted Chelsea, who gives a sh*t, we carry on as we were, with a quality team of lads that I F***ing love and we also carry on winning trophies.

Hear what you're saying Ian and am as made up as yaself with our present situation, the league is ours with time to spare and the glory days are back; the sole architect of the club's resurgence is the genius of JĂźrgen Klopp.
      His appointment got FSG right out of the sh*t, pre-Klopp and after a series of disastrous decisions the voices of dissatisfaction were deafening and protest was in the air.

Credit for his appointment is misplaced, Klopp signed up to LFC as a club he had long admired and respected, he was committed to bringing back success to the club, that continued success will be undone without strength in depth, if any of our key men are injured we will struggle.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #271: Jun 05, 2020 08:54:27 pm
      Oh come one, you're not going to go down the road of "they're taking money out of the club" again are you?
      Do you actually remember me saying something like that? I think in the beginning almost everyone thought that's exactly what FSG were doing. But no. I just think the way they run the club, mostly like a business (ok, their businessmen first and foremost) means that when we don't sell our stock we can't buy goods.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1516 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #272: Jun 05, 2020 08:58:24 pm
      Yup...

Still believe he will be a LFC player this summer..
      Funnily enough. So do I.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #273: Jun 05, 2020 08:59:31 pm
      The thing that irratates me is the idiotic chavs and journo’s that are trying to create the narrative that Chelsea have jumped ahead of us to sign him. They are banging on about how Lampard and Cech went to see him for talks before the lockdown...yet seem to forget that before and during the lockdown he was constantly saying about us. They are signing him because we’ve rejected the player, there’s no master stroke by anyone at Chelsea, it’s because he can’t get his first choice. Obviously they are content being sloppy seconds.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,875 posts | 704 
      Reply #274: Jun 06, 2020 12:04:50 am
      Quote from Lallana in Pyjamas
      Who are these targets We are missing out

Have you not considered the idea that Klopp has a say in it as well

Dempsey: Wouldn't pay up
      Salah 2014: As above
      Sanchez: As above
      Konoplyanka: As above
      Fekir: As above
      Werner: As above

There's a few of the ones that got away. We went 7 years without a trophy until last year. Even Wigan were winning them in that time.

Common Denominator: FSG

Quote from LFCexiled
      Littered with missed transfer targets? We done a treble last year and we're going to win the league for the first time in 30 F***ing years. Not bad really seeing as we missed all these transfer targets.

As for the new training ground. Are you seriously trying to say it was just to get everything in one place? Grasping at straws to prove a point there mate. Have you even looked at what's going on there? Millions spent on pitches that match Anfield, youth and first team training together to breed success for the future.
      Nothing that's happening as regards that development is just 'tidying up'.

All that's going on in and around the club is part of a plan to make the club stronger and more sustainable long term and not signing a player who may or may not have been a fit doesn't and shouldn't affect that.

Werner was ideal for what we need at this time. The squad needs to be strengthened, and the strike force need serious competition. This guy scores 30 goals a season in a major league, is an international, and still knocking them in the European Cup. He's proven at the highest level, and wanted to play for Klopp. Unfortunately the owners didn't want to pay for him so he went elsewhere. Even the signings they do get over the line are often long and drawn out, while they're arguing the toss over incentives and moneyball. You snooze you lose, in the dog eat dog transfer market. And we've lost again.

We have one trophy left to play for, with 9 games to go. If we invested in a proper reserve keeper, we might still be in the cups. What we got was someone at the last minute on a free transfer. As we're out of the cups, his season is already over and he will never play for us again.

I'm convinced that the training ground was and is primarily JĂźrgen's idea. It's of no concern to the owners where we train. They're baseball heads not football people, and their only interest in the club is the glamour side. JĂźrgen probably wondered why are there different sites for us, when we can amalgamate Kirkby and Melwood, (Tranmere for the women) so everyone operates in the one spot. So we have a new training ground. I've no doubt it will be state of the art, but that's not enough for us to succeed in it's own. We thought after winning the league in 1990, that the club was running smoothly. Within a couple of years, we were struggling to finish in the top 8 with a lot of catching up to do.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #275: Jun 06, 2020 02:28:03 am
      Dempsey: Wouldn't pay up
      Salah 2014: As above
      Sanchez: As above
      Konoplyanka: As above
      Fekir: As above

In hindsight, the only one that we really missed out on there is Sanchez, who rejected us, not the other way around because his missus wanted London.

Salah wasn’t ready for the Premier League and wouldn’t have been the player he is now, Dempsey was hardly a world beater and would essentially have been at the expense of Hendo in exchange so that definitely worked out for the better and if you think Dempsey would have been the key to us winning trophies then you’re very much mistaken. Konoplyanka has achieved what exactly since then to suggest we missed out?
      Fekir was a risk and ended up at Real Brits so shows the standard of team after him once we walked away. Also the fact we won the CL and got 97 points in the league Doesn’t really scream out as a big loss.

bi*ch and moan about the owners not paying but if Klopp really wanted Werner that badly then they’d have gotten him signed because the players that are likely to depart this summer will comfortably cover his fee in the same way as Morata essentially covers the fee for Chelsea.

Quick Reply