Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Shrewsbury?

Adrián
      51 (61.4%)
      Neco Williams
      7 (8.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Yasser Larouci
      1 (1.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Pedro Chirivella
      8 (9.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      13 (15.7%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.2%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Jan 30, 2020 06:52:14 pm

Shrewsbury 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27476 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Re: Shrewsbury 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Jan 26, 2020 08:18:05 pm
      Only response to some of the commentary on here about the match is, I think Yasser Larouci is receiving some unfair criticism. Those goals are down to our midfield and central defense, not our left back. Yes he committed the foul on the penalty but look where it happened and what he is trying to do to cover for the mistakes of more senior players (and it was a free kick, not a pen).

He is a bright prospect and I don't think did  anything especially poor today, unlike some more senior players.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #300: Jan 26, 2020 08:18:28 pm
      Klopp is sort of taking a stance because he feels the FA scheduling replay during winter break period is wrong and the senior players deserve their rest.

We only have the team that played today to blame for that then, so guess we go again with the same starting 11.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #301: Jan 26, 2020 08:19:37 pm
      Klopp is sort of taking a stance because he feels the FA scheduling replay during winter break period is wrong and the senior players deserve their rest.

But not all of them. How many minutes have Matip, Lovren, Fabinho, Origi, Shaqiri, Lallana and Keita played?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,311 posts | 1671 
      Reply #302: Jan 26, 2020 08:19:49 pm

What ?!

It’s a mid season break and wants the players to be refreshed for the big sh*t - the league and CL , not the FA Cup

Absolute bollocks the league is good as done. What about the players who need the minutes that we complain about Matip,Lovren ,Fabino ,keita,shaqiri, Adrian , lallana absolute horseshit that these cant play . Also it is the FA cup we have our best chance probably ever of doing and matching the Mancs treble
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #303: Jan 26, 2020 08:20:26 pm
      We only have the team that played today to blame for that then, so guess we go again with the same starting 11.

Jürgen's post-match comments seem to indicate he thinks he can't do this.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #304: Jan 26, 2020 08:21:15 pm
      I am so confused, why is Klopp not going to be managing the replay? And why no senior players?

I think it's a combo of making a point to the League/English footy in general and having promised the players a mid-season break. I think it's OTT and means we're effectively throwing the towel in.

I really don't see any reason why Lovren. Matip and Adrian can't be in the side as a minimum. They figure not to get a great deal of playing time outside of the FA Cup assuming the lads ahead of them stay fit.

If we run with the full Under 23 squad I figure our back 4 will get shown up like they did at Villa. You need that bit of experience at the back and ideally in midfield as we saw with Gomez and Lallana in the Everton game.

I'm a bit miffed to be honest. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #305: Jan 26, 2020 08:21:23 pm
      Club shouldn't be charging any more than £10 a ticket for the replay then. General sale & the match shouldn't count as a credit

Charge it a tenner but for those on the ACS of course it's gonna count as a credit or what's the F***ing point having the system. I won't be going, letting my dad & nephew go again. End of the day we get to Wembley I've already said their going rather than me and my brother.
      rossyred

• 9,311 posts | 1671 
      Reply #306: Jan 26, 2020 08:22:32 pm
      Jürgen's post-match comments seem to indicate he thinks he can't do this.

Yes he can he has been told not to arrange any friendlies etc. Do you reckon Spurs and Southampton or Newcastle  will send out all kids and get some f**ker else to manage the sides ?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #307: Jan 26, 2020 08:23:38 pm
      But not all of them. How many minutes have Matip, Lovren, Fabinho, Origi, Shaqiri, Lallana and Keita played?

It's a principle sort of thing with Klopp (the way I see it) more so then us really needing our squad players to rest. I am sure the players you listed and a couple more would like to get some minutes under their belts as well but Klopp has been very vocal about fixture congestion and he is willing to throw away the FA Cup over it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #308: Jan 26, 2020 08:24:45 pm
      I think it's a combo of making a point to the League/English footy in general and having promised the players a mid-season break. I think it's OTT and means we're effectively throwing the towel in.

I really don't see any reason why Lovren. Matip and Adrian can't be in the side as a minimum. They figure not to get a great deal of playing time outside of the FA Cup assuming the lads ahead of them stay fit.

If we run with the full Under 23 squad I figure our back 4 will get shown up like they did at Villa. You need that bit of experience at the back and ideally in midfield as we saw with Gomez and Lallana in the Everton game.

As long as we field a team that Klopp honestly thinks can win then I am happy. But if we do play the kids like with Villa because of Klopp's anger towards the situation, I won't be best pleased. But then again he is on course to bringing home no.19 so who am I to question the great one haha. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,454 posts | 2848 
      Reply #309: Jan 26, 2020 08:25:55 pm
      Doesn't sit well with me this.

If we've got this attitude towards the Cup then we might as well not enter it and give our space to someone else.
      rossyred

• 9,311 posts | 1671 
      Reply #310: Jan 26, 2020 08:26:34 pm

Exactly and I feel exactly the same if we were that bothered about the possibility of a replay get the F***ing thing won on the day . Before there is a meltdown I understand this wasnt his fault that the senior players were so bad but that's the gamble of playing second string I suppose. I still do not agree that some players need the two week break as much as others when they have played probably 1/4 the amount of others
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #311: Jan 26, 2020 08:28:45 pm
      From This is Anfield:

"We have to respect the players' welfare. They need a rest. They need a mental rest, a physical rest, and that's what the winter break is all about. Then another competition tells us that's not so important so we had to make these decisions beforehand because these boys have families.

“International players like Jordan Henderson, Virgil van Dijk, Gini Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, all these guys, they are never off. This is the week I said in the moment it's clear there would be a winter break months ago, before I knew the FA Cup replay could come in between, that it would be a winter break. We will respect that and we will do that.

“The players will have one week off. They don't have it 'off', they will train but they will train for themselves. They have running programmes, they have fitness programmes, that's what they do. They never have 'off'. But they don't come to Melwood and they don't play a football game.”
      rossyred

• 9,311 posts | 1671 
      Reply #312: Jan 26, 2020 08:29:47 pm
      I wonder if we are going to here more about this Premier League letter, because it seems very unlikely to me that they will be saying we can't use certain players for a Cup replay. My guess is that Jürgen is planning to take them somewhere warm for a training camp and doesn't want to leave them behind.

Aldo just pointed this out on LFC TV but I agree, why would Matip, Lovren and Origi need a winter break? If Keita and Lallana and Milner can get back fit by the time of the replay date, they should be playing in it, not off on some holiday.

Thought I read no overseas trip ?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #313: Jan 26, 2020 08:31:59 pm
      Yes he can he has been told not to arrange any friendlies etc. Do you reckon Spurs and Southampton or Newcastle  will send out all kids and get some f**ker else to manage the sides ?

I'm not agreeing with him here. I already said I expect the Premier League to come out and clarify "we didn't mean FA Cup replays" and I think Jürgen is in for a fight on this one. Jürgen said the letter mentions "friendlies and competitive games" but  again, I expect the Premier League to weigh in on this quite soon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #314: Jan 26, 2020 08:31:59 pm
      From This is Anfield:

"We have to respect the players' welfare. They need a rest. They need a mental rest, a physical rest, and that's what the winter break is all about. Then another competition tells us that's not so important so we had to make these decisions beforehand because these boys have families.

“International players like Jordan Henderson, Virgil van Dijk, Gini Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, all these guys, they are never off. This is the week I said in the moment it's clear there would be a winter break months ago, before I knew the FA Cup replay could come in between, that it would be a winter break. We will respect that and we will do that.

“The players will have one week off. They don't have it 'off', they will train but they will train for themselves. They have running programmes, they have fitness programmes, that's what they do. They never have 'off'. But they don't come to Melwood and they don't play a football game.”

Basically getting a weeks holiday but will have to report down what they've done. Milner's book "Ask a footballer" goes into a little bit of detail what this involves.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #315: Jan 26, 2020 08:36:23 pm
      Thought I read no overseas trip ?

OK. I hadn't seen this.

Spurs, Southampton and Newcastle also have replays - wondering if they will say something similar.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #316: Jan 26, 2020 08:38:01 pm
      Basically getting a weeks holiday but will have to report down what they've done. Milner's book "Ask a footballer" goes into a little bit of detail what this involves.

Sure. I'm with him on the question of fixtures, but something doesn't seem to fit with this given that we're in the competition. I know with the League Cup it was a case of not being in two places at once. This one seems a little different.
      rossyred

• 9,311 posts | 1671 
      Reply #317: Jan 26, 2020 08:38:48 pm
      OK. I hadn't seen this.

Spurs, Southampton and Newcastle also have replays - wondering if they will say something similar.

Sure they would rather not have one I'm not saying that but there are numerous players who you alluded to as well who need the minutes as well as the fact that some fans and especially season ticket holders would like a cup run
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #318: Jan 26, 2020 08:39:50 pm
      Charge it a tenner but for those on the ACS of course it's gonna count as a credit or what's the f**king point having the system. I won't be going, letting my dad & nephew go again. End of the day we get to Wembley I've already said their going rather than me and my brother.

If you're on the ACS you can still get your seat just don't count the ticket as a credit.

Then instead of offering the remaining tickets to members with criteria just lash it on general sale. If you offer a credit for the game you're just going to get all the fair weather credit hunters buying up for the credit in the hope we get a big draw in the next round. With the tickets being cheap most of them will probably just take the hit & the ground will be empty

Put it onto a general sale & then loads of kids, dad's & lads etc who don't really get the chance to go to a game will be able to get a ticket

I've already got my credit from the Everton game so I'll be going to this regardless, I'd just rather be sat next to a group of people who actually want to be there as opposed to an empty seat belonging to a credit hunter
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,482 posts | 3436 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #319: Jan 26, 2020 08:41:27 pm
      Klopp quoting the pl league letter about clubs respecting the winter break.
      Harrisimo

• 8,365 posts | 1414 
      Reply #320: Jan 26, 2020 08:45:15 pm
      Our "Winter break"...( other teams will differ slightly)...will be between home game 1st Feb V Southampton..to..15th Feb away to Norwich.After that we go full pelt for Premier League and Champions League. The FA Cup is not a target this year.I'm sure Klopp thought Everton would knock us out and that would be that.

Because of today the replay will probably be Sat 8th or Sun 9th. Inevitably some senior  players won't play the next two league games..namely West Ham Away and Soton at home. So arguably they could play in the replay. But looks like the squad will be going for a warm weather light training break during the "winter break".

Neil Critchley will manage the replay. Might be some senior players will remain and play in the replay. Whatever is decided I would trust the boss to get the balance right. Personally I wouldn't want this to disrupt the boss in his pursuit of the League title and retaining the Champions League.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #321: Jan 26, 2020 08:45:32 pm
      Klopp quoting the pl league letter about clubs respecting the winter break.

Would love some of the players like Lovren and Matip to step up and say "I helped get us into this situation. I need the games and I need to help the young players in that replay."

As I say, I do expect the PL to change its tune very quickly.

Quick Reply