Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 173492 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #529: Mar 18, 2020 07:03:55 pm
      Very much doubt we’ve won it 18 times in anyone’s lifetime on here
      Just saying like 🤔
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #530: Mar 18, 2020 08:43:55 pm
      Near enough at this exact time last week I was inside a packed Anfield celebrating Gini's header

Seems a F***ing world away!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #531: Mar 18, 2020 08:48:31 pm
      The government will disagree with you

The day I look towards any government to be a bastion of common sense and prudence.....well.....

Kopite78
      Reply #532: Mar 18, 2020 09:08:40 pm
      The day I look towards any government to be a bastion of common sense and prudence.....well.....

Well if you think playing football right now is a priority or common sense I'd put you in with them buddy

And I'm not saying I back the government, I'm saying theres F**k all chance that sport is given a green light to come back in 3 weeks.. and to be honest it's about the last thing on my mind,  which is odd because of how big a part its played in my entire life
      « Last Edit: Mar 18, 2020 09:17:26 pm by Kopite78 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #533: Mar 18, 2020 11:24:02 pm
      Well if you think playing football right now is a priority or common sense I'd put you in with them buddy

And I'm not saying I back the government, I'm saying theres f**k all chance that sport is given a green light to come back in 3 weeks.. and to be honest it's about the last thing on my mind,  which is odd because of how big a part its played in my entire life

Where did I say playing football is a priority?
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,132 posts | 127 
      Reply #534: Mar 19, 2020 12:19:27 am
      Where,  and how has this got to were it is. I've got my own ideas, but please keep you and your family as safe as you can peeps
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #535: Mar 19, 2020 07:08:33 am
      If clubs could play friendly matches during the second world war I fail to see why we can't play league matches in empty stadiums.2 games a week would see the season finished in a month,surely that is possible.After waiting 30 years for our REDS to win this league I  cannot afford to wait much longer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #536: Mar 19, 2020 09:03:18 am
      If clubs could play friendly matches during the second world war I fail to see why we can't play league matches in empty stadiums.2 games a week would see the season finished in a month,surely that is possible.After waiting 30 years for our REDS to win this league I  cannot afford to wait much longer.

I agree Billy, test players and staff regularly and play games behind closed doors. People need some entertainment, its very important for morale etc. Shutting down and cancelling all events is a big over reaction. An example is the Eurovision song contest, yes I know its sh*t but its surprisingly popular, why not have that proceed but without the audience/crowds and everyone can just watch on TV, people need a distraction from this relentless doom and gloom.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #537: Mar 19, 2020 09:12:39 am

Completely different scenario - Also think having the footy on telly would encourage social gatherings, even with the pubs being shut I'm sure there'd be a lot of people who'd think "f**k it I'll invite the lads around to watch the match", especially if it's a title clincher for example. Can't imagine people would fancy the idea of watching us win the league in a room on their own
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #538: Mar 19, 2020 09:32:30 am
      Where did I say playing football is a priority?

You didn't, mate. Wouldn't worry about it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,519 posts | 3462 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #539: Mar 19, 2020 09:37:47 am
      Completely different scenario - Also think having the footy on telly would encourage social gatherings, even with the pubs being shut I'm sure there'd be a lot of people who'd think "f**k it I'll invite the lads around to watch the match", especially if it's a title clincher for example. Can't imagine people would fancy the idea of watching us win the league in a room on their own

For some of us in a room on your own is best for all concerned
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #540: Mar 19, 2020 10:17:02 am
      United fans can take the piss all they want, when we finally lift that trophy, and we parade it round the city, once this virus is finally beaten, after months of isolation and fear, I'll call it now there will be absolute scenes like you have never seen, the roof is going to come off and it will be an event never to be replicated
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #541: Mar 19, 2020 10:28:12 am
      At a conference call scheduled for 10.30am on Thursday representatives of all 20 Premier League clubs are expected to restate a determination to get the current season finished if at all possible, ideally by 30 June. That extended date has been made possible by Uefa’s decision to postpone this summer’s European Championship until 2021 principally to make more time for club seasons to be completed.

The initial shock of all Premier League and EFL matches being suddenly suspended until 4 and 3 April respectively last week prompted an immediate feeling among clubs that the season will not be finished. That remains a possibility, but there is said to be a strong collective determination now to get matches played if they can. Sixteen of the clubs have nine games to play, with Liverpool potentially one game away from mathematically being champions – 25 points ahead of Manchester City, in second place. City and three other clubs – Sheffield United, Arsenal and Aston Villa – have 10 games remaining.

Premier League club sources have told the Guardian that at the 13 March emergency meeting, where the suspension was decided, the clubs did not discuss the thorny question of how to decide finishing places if the season is not completed. The suggestion then by Karren Brady, West Ham’s vice-chairman, in her column in the Sun – that the season should be considered null and void – was widely ridiculed at the weekend, but she was not alone in considering that the clearest solution. Now, particularly after Uefa’s decision, there is a renewed resolve across Europe to complete the club season, including the Champions League and Europa League if possible.

The Premier League’s football department has been modelling scenarios for getting games on once the course of the virus and the government’s health advice allow it. It was widely believed even when the 4 April date was pencilled in that matches could not start again by then, and the meeting is expected to discuss whether that should still be maintained as a realistic target.

Fifa announced on Wednesday following a meeting of its council bureau that it has formed a working group with all six continental confederations to consider adjusting players’ contracts and registration periods, which mostly run to 30 June, if the seasons cannot be completed by then and need to be extended. The possibility of playing matches behind closed doors – which nobody in football really wants in normal circumstances – is more practicable. being able to envisage circumstances where large crowds of people will be allowed to watch.

On Monday the government issued advice against mass gatherings, after the football leagues had themselves decided three days earlier to suspend matches following the positive diagnosis for Covid-19 of the Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta. The updated advice – that people should now be “social distancing”, which includes avoiding meeting friends and family – suggests it currently rules out two Premier League football teams, with all the ancillary staff, meeting to play a match, even in the absence of spectators.

The meeting is also expected to address the financial crash the crisis is threatening to cause clubs, although the scale of the Premier League’s TV and commercial deals cushions them from the more immediate problems being experienced in the EFL. The league is understood to have been discussing with Sky and BT Sport ways to provide more televised content in the form of interviews and behind‑the‑scenes access, to give subscribers something compelling to watch while most of sport itself is suspended. Sky has now offered to allow subscribers to pause their payments without being charged a fee or held to a notice period, while the suspension continues.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/18/premier-league-expected-to-push-for-30-june-season-finish
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #542: Mar 19, 2020 11:02:58 am
      The world existed before you were born, you know?  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #543: Mar 19, 2020 11:03:47 am
      https://onefootball.com/en/news/borussia-mgladbach-squad-give-up-their-salaries-to-pay-workers-29500593

Borussia M'Gladbach squad give up their salaries to pay workers

Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach have made an incredible gesture as the coronavirus continues to sweep through football.

With clubs taking special measures to protect against the financial damage of the Covid-19 outbreak, Gladbach have gone above and beyond to make sure every club employee continues to pick up their wages.

“The team has offered to forego their salaries if it can help the club and thus the employees,” sporting director Max Eberl announced on Thursday.

In total, more than €1m a month will be given up by the squad and instead be used to pay the club’s other workers.

“I am very proud of the boys,” Eberl added.

“It’s a clear message: we stand together for Borussia, in good times and in bad. They want to give something back to Borussia and also to all the fans who support us. The coaching staff have joined in, as have our sporting directors and managing directors.”

Now that is fantastic and we can only hope other clubs follow their lead.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,886 posts | 704 
      Reply #544: Mar 19, 2020 12:01:20 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      I think people need some distraction from all this negativity and doom and gloom.

You just don't get it, do you?

I see no reason why all the matches can't be played behind closed doors starting 4th April. All players and staff should be self isolated for 3 weeks now.

You don't want to see a reason.

How about the government you voted for, banning all sports events, for starters, which may well happen by then. There is no league, or indeed sport that would go against that advice. And don't say it won't happen, because it already has happened, albeit in other countries.

Apart from the fitness issues, playing games behind closed doors didn't work in other countries. Valencia played 1 such game last week. 35% of their staff have since tested positive. Juventus played their last game behind closed doors. 1 Juventus player subsequently tested positive. That test result, took 120 members of their staff out of action. While those who don't get it on the pitch, can still get it off the pitch. You cannot play any games on April 4. 

The date will be pushed back until mid-April at the earliest. One date suggested was April 15 which is off limits to us, and if you see no reason why that is, I'm afraid you're beyond help.

In an ominous sign of just how long we have to wait before we're "distracted from all this negativity and doom and gloom", Eurovision has been cancelled for the first time ever. That was scheduled for May. Biggest live music concert in the world. Gone.

April 4?  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from Fourbrick
      If the league has to be cancelled, the fairest way to do it would be to average out the points from each game and then pro rata the remaining games. We still win by a country mile.

They could do two things in that scenario. Either take the current table as final, from teams who have all played the same number of games, i.e. 28 games, as in motorsport, or call all remaining games as 0-0 draws, awarding 1 point each, as in rugby. In either case, we are champions, and I will recognise us as champions.

There's no rule in the book for things like this. It's not our fault. We were asked to play the games, we played them, we won them. Trophy please.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #545: Mar 19, 2020 12:40:31 pm

Was talking about the guy who said clubs will be back training soon,y'all only just closing the schools.So yeah don't take it personally,nothing is happening anytime soon.common sense,no?

Arsenal are talking about being back in training next week, they will have isolated for 2 weeks. thats fact. Now what that training looks like, who knows, could be running alone, passing etc. but no close contact.

At the end of the day who knows. but I was just stating a fact Id seen, and then extrapolated that into other squads being back week after.

We are allowed outside you know, its actually being advised to go out and do some sort of physical activity, just keep 2m distance from people.

This is in UK BTW. I know other countries are slightly different, and I know things can change everyday.

Anyway hope everyone is safe and sound. YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #546: Mar 19, 2020 12:49:56 pm

Well in that case they are F***ing idiots and they'll probably be inviting their mates around to play on the Xbox anyway.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #547: Mar 19, 2020 12:53:01 pm
      You just don't get it, do you?

You don't want to see a reason.

How about the government you voted for, banning all sports events, for starters, which may well happen by then. There is no league, or indeed sport that would go against that advice. And don't say it won't happen, because it already has happened, albeit in other countries.

Apart from the fitness issues, playing games behind closed doors didn't work in other countries. Valencia played 1 such game last week. 35% of their staff have since tested positive. Juventus played their last game behind closed doors. 1 Juventus player subsequently tested positive. That test result, took 120 members of their staff out of action. While those who don't get it on the pitch, can still get it off the pitch. You cannot play any games on April 4. 

The date will be pushed back until mid-April at the earliest. One date suggested was April 15 which is off limits to us, and if you see no reason why that is, I'm afraid you're beyond help.

In an ominous sign of just how long we have to wait before we're "distracted from all this negativity and doom and gloom", Eurovision has been cancelled for the first time ever. That was scheduled for May. Biggest live music concert in the world. Gone.

April 4?  ;D ;D ;D

They could do two things in that scenario. Either take the current table as final, from teams who have all played the same number of games, i.e. 28 games, as in motorsport, or call all remaining games as 0-0 draws, awarding 1 point each, as in rugby. In either case, we are champions, and I will recognise us as champions.

There's no rule in the book for things like this. It's not our fault. We were asked to play the games, we played them, we won them. Trophy please.

I did say that all the players and staff need to be tested on the day of the match, if they are clear then they can work/play, if not they go into self isolation, what's the issue with that?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,499 posts | 2869 
      Reply #548: Mar 19, 2020 01:08:24 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #549: Mar 19, 2020 01:10:30 pm
      Well in that case they are f**king idiots and they'll probably be inviting their mates around to play on the Xbox anyway.

Gaming is all done online, grandad. No need to take your Playstation pad over to your mates anymore  ;D

But seriously it would definitely tempt a lot of people. No title won in 30 years. Even I'd be tempted to get my mates round / arrange something. I wouldn't like, but if there was one scenario where I would then that would be it
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #550: Mar 19, 2020 01:16:44 pm
      Gaming is all done online, grandad. No need to take your Playstation pad over to your mates anymore  ;D

But seriously it would definitely tempt a lot of people. No title won in 30 years. Even I'd be tempted to get my mates round / arrange something. I wouldn't like, but if there was one scenario where I would then that would be it

I'd arranged with my sons to watch the winning match, whenever it was.

My youngest was going to fly home, and we were going to make a night of it.

Probably won't happen now, and that makes me a bit sad, but another arrangement is doing it by skype.
      Won't be the same, but it'll be something.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #551: Mar 19, 2020 01:20:28 pm
      So no actual football till after 30th April minimum. and season will be finished, somehow,

Not if your playing VR or still love playing guitar hero or Fifa with your mates actually in your company. not all PS4 players are teenagers. ;)

Quick Reply