Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 18th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Club Furlough Staff (Now Reversed)

Read 25007 times
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,182 posts | 533 
      Re: Club Furlough Staff
      Reply #115: Apr 05, 2020 11:41:38 pm

Let's hope so. Hopefully a u-turn followed by an apology but I'm not holding my breath.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 320 posts | 81 
      Reply #116: Apr 06, 2020 12:24:58 am
      Not familiar with the UK tax system so help a bloke out.

In whats ways is Liverpool FC helping fund the UK govt via taxes?
      Revenue tax?
      Sales tax?
      Profit tax?
      Payroll tax?
      etc
      etc
      etc.

Is it wrong to assume some % of taxes paid by a UK employer is specifically intended to enter a pool of funds created to cover unemployment benefits?
      Is it also wrong to assume the UK govt will adjust its future tax rates (higher) in order to compensate for extreme govt outlays that are currently in the works.

IMHO.....both assumptions are/will be reality and LFC's past and future contributions have/will exponentially out weigh the govt benefits necessary to cover the furloughed LFC employees.

I love to read keyboard masters of other people's money.
      Understand, LFC has been funding the safety net, probably disproportionately.
      And like every UK business that survives this difficult moment, LFC will likely be asked to carry a bigger tax burden.

But apparently that is not enough.
      "Pay into the system LFC but how dare you use it!"

Give me a break.
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020 12:38:00 am by Borg »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,535 posts | 8691 
      Reply #117: Apr 06, 2020 01:05:06 am
      Not familiar with the UK tax system so help a bloke out.

In whats ways is Liverpool FC helping fund the UK govt via taxes?
      Revenue tax?
      Sales tax?
      Profit tax?
      Payroll tax?
      etc
      etc
      etc.

Is it wrong to assume some % of taxes paid by a UK employer is specifically intended to enter a pool of funds created to cover unemployment benefits?
      Is it also wrong to assume the UK govt will adjust its future tax rates (higher) in order to compensate for extreme govt outlays that are currently in the works.

IMHO.....both assumptions are/will be reality and LFC's past and future contributions have/will exponentially out weigh the govt benefits necessary to cover the furloughed LFC employees.

I love to read keyboard masters of other people's money.
      Understand, LFC has been funding the safety net, probably disproportionately.
      And like every UK business that survives this difficult moment, LFC will likely be asked to carry a bigger tax burden.

But apparently that is not enough.
      "Pay into the system LFC but how dare you use it!"

Give me a break.

I love how some people just look at numbers rather than reality!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #118: Apr 06, 2020 08:29:41 am
      i don't understand why this is a bad thing. 'rich' clubs and 'poor' clubs have the option to take this "handout" right? why is it bad if we take it just because we are wealthier than, say, Newcastle? why should we dismiss a handout just because we are well off? what i've learned after coming from a good background and not being as financially sound today is that you should never dismiss a handout no matter how much you have, as you never know what tomorrow may bring. we won't be rich forever. the owners don't have endless riches. i obviously don't understand the full story but i don't understand why our own fans are heaping sh*t on the club for... accepting a handout that everyone can accept if they want?? in times of unprecedented crisis?
      Kopite78
      Reply #119: Apr 06, 2020 08:38:05 am
      i don't understand why this is a bad thing. 'rich' clubs and 'poor' clubs have the option to take this "handout" right? why is it bad if we take it just because we are wealthier than, say, Newcastle? why should we dismiss a handout just because we are well off?

It has nothing to do with how rich or not we are it's to do with the history and principles of the club

This should be an absolute last scenario for me, not being one of the first to jump on and take advantage

Anyone who is unaware of our history as a club I'd suggest whilst you have alot of free time  read up on it (not having a go or pointing fingers at you mate, but some people arent aware and maybe that why they arent understanding why so many are so pissed off at this)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #120: Apr 06, 2020 08:41:26 am
      Paul Tompkins can get his head out of his arse too.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #121: Apr 06, 2020 09:12:57 am
      Would there be a problem if the club used the money saved on wages to reduce the cost of season tickets for REDS supporters.I thought I would ask the question.
      As an after thought what if the club gave the money it was getting to a worthwhile charity.

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020 09:54:51 am by Billy1 »
      Kopite78
      Reply #122: Apr 06, 2020 09:47:43 am
      Would there be a problem if the club used the money saved on wages to reduce the cost of season tickets for REDS supporters.I thought I would ask the question.

They could afford both Billy

But in any case it's very unlikely that they would even consider this
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #123: Apr 06, 2020 09:55:53 am
      They could afford both Billy

But in any case it's very unlikely that they would even consider this

I think you are correct in both instances.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #124: Apr 06, 2020 09:58:57 am
      Maybe the club have taken advantage to cover the cost of the high earners at the club & could only do so if they went with all staff..?

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,689 posts | 6981 
      Reply #125: Apr 06, 2020 10:47:16 am
      Maybe the club have taken advantage to cover the cost of the high earners at the club

It's limited to £2,500 a month so no, they're still dispensing £20M a month to the players but seemingly using the government for the £750,000 a month for their non playing staff.

Very bad look.  To put it in perspective, the playing staff could have taken around about a 5% pay cut to pay for it.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,271 posts | 283 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #126: Apr 06, 2020 10:57:21 am
      Bad, bad, bad.

Should be ashamed of themselves and don’t care if it looks bad changing their minds for the good. Just F***ing reverse your decision!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,548 posts | 3475 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #127: Apr 06, 2020 11:28:33 am
      Simple fact is until the pfa agree to any reductions or deferrals then there is no chance of anything happening. As I said before a business has made a business decision, like it or not. Morals don't come into it
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #128: Apr 06, 2020 11:55:37 am
      Come at this from another angle, and I'm right on the fence here,
      1/ Lets say we have for arguments sake 60 none playing staff are involved, lets also say they average £100k per annum. That equates to them saving only 25% of their none playing staff wage bill. In real terms that's circa £1.5m per annum, given that the government has capped its grant to £2.5k per months per employee. That assuming that LFC are going to make up the balance in full?? You'll never find the later out due to NDA's in their contracts of employment.
      2/ The contractual position with the TV companies must be a mine field, the contractual clause that covers such eventualities as this, must be wide open to interpretation. I would say if you are contracted to play (and televise) so many games, and you don't, then you don't get paid. If the EPL don't get dosh then how does it filter down to the clubs.
      3/ Do the EPL and the clubs for that matter have insurance cover against "force majeure" act of god, something unforeseen! and if not, why not? Basic commercial risk management.
      4, Given that all streams of income have now largely ceased, and given that the FFP rules dictate (and I'm paraphrasing) that no more than 50% of income can be spent on wages. Forget LFC, this situation is unsustainable for the majority of PL clubs, if thats the case the Championship must be in dire straights.
      5/ Its because of the nature and open-endedness of the present crisis that the entire footballing world are unable to plan anything. In my honest opinion, this is what takes place when accountants take over. Klopp has, and all other managers for that matter, been silenced since this debacle commenced. At the moment what they say and think is irrelevant.

IMHO the players should be taking at least a fifty percent pay cut, from a moral stand point.
      Anyway, F@@K the players and football, remember at a time like this the doctors and nurses who generally work for buttons, without ego's, and all the other critical workers for that matter. Who are literally putting their lives on the line.
      Get a f@@kin grip football, prospective please.
      YNWA
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020 12:33:53 pm by neilh2105 »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,548 posts | 3475 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #129: Apr 06, 2020 12:08:10 pm
      Just a thought about this and what would Shankly think argument. What about what would Peter Robinson and Sir John Smith think. Two shrewd operators, first club with a shirt sponsor etc
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #130: Apr 06, 2020 12:18:18 pm
      Am
      I right that all staff furloughed would have to seek financial help in the form of universal credit and would have to wait for payments due to high demand..?
      Kopite78
      Reply #131: Apr 06, 2020 12:18:20 pm
      Just a thought about this and what would Shankly think argument. What about what would Peter Robinson and Sir John Smith think. Two shrewd operators, first club with a shirt sponsor etc

That's completely different from asking for a bale out from taxpayers when it's not what it it put in place for nor needed

I think we know what Shanks like Klopp would think about this
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #132: Apr 06, 2020 12:29:46 pm
      Am
      I right that all staff furloughed would have to seek financial help in the form of universal credit and would have to wait for payments due to high demand..?

No the club pays them 80% of their normal wages capped at £2500 per month. The employer is then reimbursed by the government, in theory?
      That assuming they are all on PAYE.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #133: Apr 06, 2020 12:44:55 pm
      Someone in FSG or the Club, has fu**ed up big style again.

The Run for the 96 5K was always sponsored by EFC in the Community, when Carra's Foundation got involved 1 or 2 yrs ago, someone got bollocked good style for not getting LFC involved, and now they are.

They need to pull back on this furlough decision today.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #134: Apr 06, 2020 01:03:03 pm
      Thinking all the merchandise the club sell, all over the world, must rake in a small fortune for FSG. Surely paying staff at the lower end of the scale a drop in the ocean. This making it totally unnecessary to rely on the tax payer for any form of financial support.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,271 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #135: Apr 06, 2020 01:05:41 pm
      John Bishop
      @JohnBishop100

Totally agree with this from @Carra23. The club does not need the scheme. It’s income is deferred not threatened, the games will be played, the TV rights and prize money paid. The club can sustain itself till then. Tax payers money needs to be used for those who need it most.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #136: Apr 06, 2020 01:21:29 pm
      Thinking all the merchandise the club sell, all over the world, must rake in a small fortune for FSG. Surely paying staff at the lower end of the scale a drop in the ocean. This making it totally unnecessary to rely on the tax payer for any form of financial support.

Something I’m not sure they’ve even considered is Nike. Our deal with them is largely dependent on sales, well the profit hunting FSG have now damaged our reputation, something that isn’t going to encourage people to be buying next seasons kits...I know I’m only one person but I won’t be helping to line their pockets by buying it, now take into account all the other supporters in the U.K. and that’s a lot of money lost.

So not only is it the owners bringing a bad look to the club with this, but they are also reducing their own profit in the long term too. They’ve hoped for a quick short term gain but they’ve done more harm than I think they could possibly have even anticipated.

If they want to know what it’s like to be on the wrong side of the supporters of this club, then they only need to think back to the previous ownership. It’s obviously not the same situation, but it should serve as a reminder for them.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #137: Apr 06, 2020 01:27:23 pm
      Something I’m not sure they’ve even considered is Nike. Our deal with them is largely dependent on sales, well the profit hunting FSG have now damaged our reputation, something that isn’t going to encourage people to be buying next seasons kits...I know I’m only one person but I won’t be helping to line their pockets by buying it, now take into account all the other supporters in the U.K. and that’s a lot of money lost.

So not only is it the owners bringing a bad look to the club with this, but they are also reducing their own profit in the long term too. They’ve hoped for a quick short term gain but they’ve done more harm than I think they could possibly have even anticipated.

If they want to know what it’s like to be on the wrong side of the supporters of this club, then they only need to think back to the previous ownership. It’s obviously not the same situation, but it should serve as a reminder for them.

Enough people will still buy the kit even after this that Nike won't care. Unless a significant number worldwide actually boycott it, they probably won't even notice.

Quick Reply