Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Tom Hicks: Quit talking and coach the players

Read 13133 times
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Tom Hicks: Quit talking and coach the players
      Nov 23, 2007 11:51:52 am
      Nov 23 2007 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL co-owner Tom Hicks today ordered Rafa Benitez to "quit talking about new players and coach the players we have".

In an angry rebuke to the Reds boss who launched a cryptic attack on the club owners yesterday, Hicks made it clear the club will not even consider any demands from Benitez until mid-December at the earliest.

At yesterday’s weekly Melwood press conference, Benitez admitted he was frustrated with life at Anfield and continually told reporters that he wished only to concentrate on coaching and training his team.

His repeated comments have been taken as a thinly veiled attack on Hicks and George Gillett – who recently told Benitez to forget about transfers for the time being and to focus only on the players he already has at his disposal.

In an exclusive interview with the ECHO today, Dallas-based Hicks responded to Benitez’s comments by defending the level of financial support he has afforded the manager and insisting the time has come for the Spaniard to do his talking on the pitch.

He said: “After the Champions League final in Athens, Rafa made certain demands of us and we responded to those demands in the summer.

“We brought in some good players and spent more money than has ever been spent before at this club.

“We now have some crucial games coming up in the Premier League and the Champions League and we want to see if we can win these games with the players we have.

“This was the message we gave to Rafa recently and I think during the international break he must have grown a bit frustrated about this.

“We told him to concentrate on the games coming up and nothing else and I guess he didn’t like that.

“But, for the time being, we just need to be focused on what happens on the pitch.

“George and I will be over in mid-December and that is the time to talk about other issues. It is really time for Rafa to quit talking about new players and to coach the players we have.”

Sources close to the Americans admit they are concerned with the present climate but hope to see harmony in relations restored quickly.

tonybarrett@liverpoolecho.co.uk
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Tom Hicks: Quit talking and coach the players
      Reply #1: Nov 23, 2007 12:01:44 pm
      I have seen this scenario get played out before. This is not good.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Nov 23, 2007 12:48:35 pm
      Good chairmen should never be seen and rarely be heard. What good is it them coming out with that attitude. We are doing ok so far and its still only November shut your faces and let Rafa get on with it and if he wants 3 players in January buy them and put your money were your mouth is if not pack up and p**s off. Liverpool football club is bigger then any one person chairman included

whether hicks/Gillette are in charge of the club or whether Rafa's the manager the club comes first so pack in the bickering and do whats best for our club. End of 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #3: Nov 23, 2007 12:51:42 pm
      Rafa didn't buy big enough in the summer.  I always knew when the new investors said they would back him for whoever he wanted then he would be under pressure this year.

Good Chairmen should indeed be seen and not heard but Rafa yesterday at the press conference? Have you ever heard a Liverpool manager touting himself for an England job before?

This could be an interesting one.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #4: Nov 23, 2007 12:54:19 pm
      Rafa will walk - he won't wait for the pay-off.

He will simply walk-away if he feels his work is question or not respected... just like he did at Valencia.

I don't think Señor Hicks thinks he would actually do it... but he would.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2876 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Nov 23, 2007 12:59:30 pm
      Rafa didn't buy big enough in the summer.  I always knew when the new investors said they would back him for whoever he wanted then he would be under pressure this year.

Good Chairmen should indeed be seen and not heard but Rafa yesterday at the press conference? Have you ever heard a Liverpool manager touting himself for an England job before?

This could be an interesting one.

was it not put to him along the lines of "would you be intrested in the England job"  to which he said " you never know in the future what can happen" Its hardly putting your hands up saying pick me please I want the job. The fact that he turned his hometown club down (Real Madrid) to saty with us suggests to me he doesnt want to leave us unless he is unhappy then I believe hed go on his own accord.

And besides England is a step down from Livepool 
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Nov 23, 2007 12:59:48 pm
      We could do without all this off the pitch bollocks,Rafa has had more than enough to spend he needs to start winning games consistently or dare I say it we might see Jose in the Home dug out sooner than we think.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #7: Nov 23, 2007 01:04:33 pm
      Just what we need before tomorrows game this!! I thought it was strange that the chairmen posted that statement on LFC TV yesterday..now we know why.

Lets hope they kiss and make up soon or else we could be left with a no win situation and our season would be the main casualty.

???

Life's never dull being a red!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Nov 23, 2007 01:05:34 pm
      We could do without all this off the pitch bollocks,Rafa has had more than enough to spend he needs to start winning games consistently or dare I say it we might see Jose in the Home dug out sooner than we think.

If I say Moanrinio dirtying the LFC bench I would be physically sick.

Jose went loop the loop between the ears many moons ago... and if Hicks has a problem with under-public-ego Rafa... he would have a genuine mare managing Moanrinio.

Moanrinio can't keep his mouth shut... I can't think of someone less suited to manage LFC.

IN RAFA WE TRUST.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #9: Nov 23, 2007 01:12:07 pm
      More on the story from BBC...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A29449326

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #10: Nov 23, 2007 01:18:04 pm
      Maybe Rafa is hell bent on selling Crouch to raise funds for a big spanish name (David Villa?)... and this is Rick Parry's way of gently telling Rafa who really is in charge.

Mind boggles.

Blimey between SG being depressed, JAR not wanting to go, Crouch tempting Villa, Carra now feeling guilty, Kuyt burgled, Torres dropped for Spain, Voro falling out with his national manager, Sami just missing out, Masch in the shop window, Yossi missing out on his national sides most famous win ...and Rafa asking for more money... it rarely ever gets dull at Anfield!!!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #11: Nov 23, 2007 02:05:06 pm
      Personnally I think the character references which were produced (allbeit in a circumstantial way) about Hicks are beginning to rear their ugly head.
      This I think is a case of "Im the boss now listen do your F***ing Job shut your mouth and get on with". Americans are well known for there total and utter lack of diplomatic flair, in fact what flair none if I recall, Vietnam case in instance i Think. American coperate bosses are well renowned for putting people in their place and for stating my way or the highway. The trouble being that this lack of diplomatic skill could leave the club in a very precarious position if this fallout is not handled correctly. Rafa like everyone needs to have his ego stroked but he must also remember that some other managers in the EPL manage quite well without all the resources he has had of late. To be fair to Hicks he only sees the fact that he has spent a lot of money in order to make more money "speculate to accumulate" is a big term in big business, and he will be blinkered to the emotional aspects of football in this country, no matter what his and Gillets media and speech writers will have you listening too. Hicks & Gillet will only see the money they have put in and will want some return from it and for Rafa to want to hark on about who he wants to transfer in even before the deadlines are in place is a little pretentious and immature from where Im sitting.

However having said that I do believe some of the media speculation is doing more harm than good aswell and I have to disagree with a lot with some of things that Tony Barret has put forward in that article. Words like "cryptic attack" how can you have someone cryptically attack someone, this is ambigous to say the least and is so open to interpretation that anyone could read anything into the statements. I also did not like the way he stated
      "Benitez admitted he was frustrated with life at Anfield" He didnt say that he said he was frustrated with some things, which could mean any number of things, "frustrated with the game plans not going right" "frustrated his wife isnt giving into his sexual advances" or any other crap that comes to mind!!

In conclusion I really do think this is a "6 of one half a dozen of the other" petty quibble and both men need to get the air cleared before any other lying propaganda can be perpetrated by the Liverpool FC hating media, if its not then some more comments could be taken even more out of context and could lead to more tention and so on and so forth. Until they meet to settle this Rafa and Hicks need to keep their mouths shut and concentrate on the whole which is Liverpool FC, show a united front and sort this out in private, thats how it was done in the old days and thats how it should be done now. I would argue that we need not let our competitors start laughing at us which only gives them amunition to play the mind games. Im sure Ferguson will have comment about things before long a sort of anicdotal snippet at the end of a press conference on or before we play the SCUM in December.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #12: Nov 23, 2007 02:33:04 pm
      I don't like the sound of this!!!!

I wasn't keen on the americans to begin with.  I knew they were buying a club with money they don't have.

I have queries with both the Chairmen and Benitez. 

Firstly Benitez came to Liverpool knowing the club were financially sound but not as rich as the top 2 clubs in the premiership, yet he still joined.  Benitez always comes out and tells the media, WHY?  Does he feel that the fans will always back him?

Secondly.  The chairman promissed that Benitez would have enough money to buy the squad he wanted.  The chairman did not spend a great deal over the summer, when you consider the sales we made too.  They also lied to us about not putting Liverpool in debt.  They also promissed that the Stadium would be resolved very quickly, yet still we are awaiting for the work to start and now the price has doubled.

Also H&G promissed us one signing that we would all be excited about was that Torres?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Nov 23, 2007 03:07:08 pm
      Not happy hearing about all this today. There's nothing worse than dirty washing in the public, although I think the usual media vultures are making a mountain out of a mole hill - as per usual. If all what we read is to believed then I expect clear the air talks as soon as possible. Until then, I don't want to hear anymore about it!

In conclusion I really do think this is a "6 of one half a dozen of the other" petty quibble and both men need to get the air cleared before any other lying propaganda can be perpetrated by the Liverpool FC hating media, if its not then some more comments could be taken even more out of context and could lead to more tention and so on and so forth. Until they meet to settle this Rafa and Hicks need to keep their mouths shut and concentrate on the whole which is Liverpool FC, show a united front and sort this out in private, thats how it was done in the old days and thats how it should be done now.

Couldn't agree more Prag!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Nov 23, 2007 03:14:32 pm
      I agree that more is probably being made of this than there actually is to it, but it is gonna have a disruptive effect on the team & needs to be sorted. One thing's for certain, Tony Barrett certainly isn't helping at all. I'm not sure myself, does anyone know wher his loyalties lie club-wise?
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #15: Nov 23, 2007 03:36:50 pm
      If this is true, then the owners can F**k off. They said they would back us and allow Rafa to get who he wanted, now he has stated targets there telling him to sit down and shut up. It's about time they put their money where their mouth is and start doing, I'm fed up of hearing them say in their annoying accents 'Rafa can buy who he wants, we back him all the way' F***ing do it then. I don't think they would be able to sack him with the amount of support he has got from the fans, and who can they bring in who is better than him?

I really don't the sounds that are coming out of the club at the moment.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #16: Nov 23, 2007 03:40:59 pm
      ffs this is so annoying

In any business its natural to dispute things. Just make sure things get resolved. Rafa will speak his mind but he's not an arse like Mourinho. They want to wait till December to discuss funding and maybe Rafa wants to get the ball rolling now as he knows if we wait we will miss out on opportunities

The papers are to blame, they look for one sign of unease and take it out of proportion in order to sell papers.

I'm sure things will be OK they just to to clarify things.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2007 06:20:01 am by LondonRed »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #17: Nov 23, 2007 06:03:57 pm
      I don't know the situation behind the scenes, but I get this feeling Rafa is trying too many things and has too much on his plate.  The chairmen has probably told him concentrate on what your best at coach the team for the next few weeks and get some results.  Nothing wrong with that!
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #18: Nov 23, 2007 06:15:45 pm
      One message to the chairmen,don't let rafa go ...............T(trust)
                                                                                       R(rafa)
                                                                                       U(u)
                                                                                       S(stupid)
                                                                                       T(tycoons)
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #19: Nov 23, 2007 06:16:29 pm
      First off a year ago our club was in big trouble, certainly off the pitch, we had little funds to compete for players and the stadium just wasn't going to happen.

We look set to have an amazing stadium on the way and Benitez was given, in the summer, the go ahead to pick his targets and the board would back him.

What happened?  I personally still believe he didn't bring enough quality in to the club.  Torres apart - he didn't get anyone special.  We were never only one striker short of having a world class team where we?

Because Rafa DID have the choice of the market then this season he was always going to be under pressure - he could no longer rely on the 'board didn't back me' line. 

He is fond of throwing a strop to try to intimidate the owners.  If it is over sorting Mascherano's deal out then fair enough - that does need sorting out.

To hear a Liverpool manager touting himself for an England job I found disrespectful to my club.  It was wrong of Benitez to do that.  I understand his frustration to some extent but his actions have disappointed me. 
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Nov 23, 2007 06:19:48 pm
      I wouldn't say he touted himself for the England job, the question was put to him by a reporter and he answered it as diplomatically as he could. The way he answered the question might not have been ideal, but he was put on the spot and sometimes people get things wrong. I don't believe he wants the job, and I can't believe how much this thing has blown up either.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #21: Nov 23, 2007 06:30:20 pm
      The media caught him at the wrong time, he was pissed, like most of us after a little difference of opinion with the boss!  He's not going anywhere, he's not the right man for England, and he has a job here which is far from complete. Its all Bull S***!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #22: Nov 23, 2007 06:47:32 pm
      I wouldn't say he touted himself for the England job, the question was put to him by a reporter and he answered it as diplomatically as he could. The way he answered the question might not have been ideal, but he was put on the spot and sometimes people get things wrong. I don't believe he wants the job, and I can't believe how much this thing has blown up either.

True! This thing has been blown way out of proportion! I don't think there is as much of a problem as is being made out by the papers! Fingers crossed anyways! Exactly what we need isn't it? :P
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #23: Nov 23, 2007 07:15:33 pm
      True! This thing has been blown way out of proportion! I don't think there is as much of a problem as is being made out by the papers! Fingers crossed anyways! Exactly what we need isn't it? :P

Its more than way out of proportion its giving the media ammunition, this is why I still think that both should just STFU. And do it behind closed doors, and they need to do it fast,................... NO in fact F**k it lets do the American way QUEENSBURY RULES fisty cuffs at 20 paces, my monies on Rafa as he has a slightly bigger belly if anyones got a bet for Hicks Im in at 9/1 for Rafa to knock him out in the 3rd. FFS its getting banal but if the media cant cream any more crap off the info orange then dont be surprised to see the Next Sky Sports pay per view being Rafa and Hicks going at it in Las Vegas all exclusive live event for £1400.95 punch off at 3am.
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #24: Nov 23, 2007 08:29:15 pm
      Has it struck anyone how surreal  this situation really is. only yesterday I was reading an interview with Rafa in the official mag where he stated he'd like to stay at anfield for more than twenty years, about half an hour later I read Tony Barrett's Echo article online. Both of Barrets articles yesterday and today have a slightly sensationalist tone to them, and have alarmed a lot of reds fans myself included. But to be honest this macho posturing between Hicks and Rafa clearly has'nt helped the situation. it's interesting that Rick Parry has'nt pipped up yet to try and calm the waters, his column in next weeks LFC magazine is going to be interesting !!
      Why do things like this always seem to happen to us the Noel white saga, Paco leaving, bust ups between the Manager and owners and even bust ups between our co-chairmen if the gutter press are to be believed !! Does anyone else have the feeling we've been cursed by a blueshite or manure supporting witch ?? supporting this club is as much a daily test of faith, patience and belief as going to any church, mosque or a synagogue.
      any way back to topic as I read the north wales daily post today a throwaway line in an artice by ian doyle really got me thinking. It said that "Foster Gillette was back in america for an extended period"  Is this part of the reason for Rafa's outburst maybe. as I recall Foster is meant to be in this country full time , the face of the co-chairmen at anfield. He's meant to work with rick parry and Rafa as
      a quicker way of communicating with the owners so that their not waiting weeks for answers to their questions about finances et al
      I know it's probably nothing but I had a bad feeling when I read that line to me it meant "Rafa's been abandoned". I can also only assume that Rafa and Rick's working relationship is hardly peachy after Rafa's outburst post-Athens.
      I hope this sh*te is put to bed quickly for the good of our club,  the fans Faith, the players state of mind and for Rafa too.
      YNWA Rafa
      Sorry i forgot to ask did they show the now infamous interview on LFC TV at all ?? interesting to know if they chose to broadcast it or not !
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2007 08:34:07 pm by kingjari »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #25: Nov 23, 2007 08:49:50 pm
      I agree that more is probably being made of this than there actually is to it, but it is gonna have a disruptive effect on the team & needs to be sorted. One thing's for certain, Tony Barrett certainly isn't helping at all. I'm not sure myself, does anyone know wher his loyalties lie club-wise?

Just posted this in another topic :  My friend goes out with Ian Doyle (Daily Post Chief Sports Writer), I asked her to ask Ian just what team does Barrett support - just had text back and Ian says he supports Liverpool    ???  You'd never think so would you ?  ;)
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #26: Nov 23, 2007 09:16:46 pm
      its rafas team he knows the players he wants and the new yankee owners wont let him go to them and say in jan i want this player and that player, rafa is well within his right to do that and the owners should listen as they know nothing about our football.

However using a press conference to put the shits up the board saying maybe england so the board will panic into thinking he will go if he doesnt get his own way is not the right way to do it in my opinon i think rafa needs to watch how he handles the situation and i hope he knows what he is doing.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #27: Nov 23, 2007 09:17:44 pm
      They all need to grow up.

Having a public spat is not the way our club is run. Where is Gillett these days? He is certainly the more media savvy of all 3 of them. And where is slick Rick?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #28: Nov 23, 2007 09:20:08 pm
      By the way, yes, the press conference is on the official site
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #29: Nov 23, 2007 09:58:57 pm
      Maybe Rafa is hell bent on selling Crouch to raise funds for a big spanish name (David Villa?)... and this is Rick Parry's way of gently telling Rafa who really is in charge.

it will be out of place to sell Crouch. He is too valuable to Liverpool. IMO
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2007 10:02:26 pm by solodee »
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #30: Nov 23, 2007 10:02:26 pm
      A phrase that lifted the lid on Anfield's inner turmoil
      Nov 23 2007 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

Liverpool writer Tony Barrett analyses the civil war threatening to break out at Anfield and the reasons behind the sudden outburst

"AS always I am focused on training and coaching my team." - on the surface a throwaway phrase from Rafa Benitez indicating he is interested in nothing but getting the best out of his team.

But as the Liverpool manager uttered these words again and again in response to routine questioning at a Melwood press conference yesterday afternoon Anfield officials shuddered – this was the clearest sign yet that Benitez was losing patience with the club’s American owners.

The fact that the very same words were used by Tom Hicks and George Gillett in a recent communication delivered to the Spaniard when Benitez had sought rapid movement on potential deals for the January transfer window marked this out as a thinly veiled attack on his employers.

But, as a hastily released statement on the club’s official website reiterated, Hicks and Gillett are in no mood to discuss comings and goings at Anfield for the time being at least.

That statement – issued from America just two hours after Benitez’s press conference – read: “We made a significant investment in the playing squad during the summer and desperately want this team to succeed.

“There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already have at the club.

“We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then.”

As far as they are concerned, such conversations will take place when they come to Anfield for the visit of Manchester United on December 16.

In the wake of the rift between Benitez and the club’s hierarchy being exposed in all its gory detail, that meeting assumes even greater significance. An almost total breakdown in communications, a growing sense of mutual suspicion and even a sprinkling of resentment means that when Benitez finally sits down with Hicks and Gillett their entire working relationship will be in question.

In many respects, the current impasse is simply a clash of two very different cultures.

Madrid-born Benitez, ever impatient for success, wants to see the club making progress on all fronts today, not wait until tomorrow to see what the future brings, by which time potential transfer targets may have moved elsewhere.

As a pure football man, the vagaries of high finance and restructuring deals mean little to him. All he wants to know is that he can bring in the players he feels Liverpool need if they are to mount a genuine Premiership challenge this season.

But Hicks and Gillett, businessmen to their very core, want to see a return on their initial investment before they even think of sanctioning further spending.

And that means satisfying themselves that the money spent on players like Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Andriy Voronin and Yossi Benayoun in pre-season will pay dividends.

That is why a deal to sign Javier Mascherano is yet to be signed and sealed and why moves for other targets – even much needed central defensive reinforcements – are being put on the backburner, and Benitez has been so brusquely told to concentrate on coaching the players he already has at his disposal.

Last May, the Americans were left shocked and disappointed by Benitez’s outburst the morning after the Champions League Final in Athens when he again used a press conference to state his case.

Then, he talked of the need for an Anfield revolution and for the club’s new owners to invest heavily if Liverpool were to compete at the top level.

Yesterday, he asked not for a revolution and not for millions upon millions of pounds to spend. He asked to be given the freedom to operate in the transfer market without restrictions, to be allowed to sell players no longer deemed of any great valueto fund the acquisition of players whom he feels can make a real difference.

Benitez has been here before, of course. In his final season at Valencia he clashed with sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch over the La Liga side’s transfer policy time and time again.

At one stage he became so frustrated, he famously accused his boss of bringing him a lampshade when he’d asked for a table.

This time around Benitez has been told not only is the furniture store not yet open, he can’t even get rid of the table and chairs he no longer likes until Hicks and Gillett give the go-ahead to do so.

In his eyes, this is an infringement on his jurisdiction as team manager. In the view of the Americans, it is a normal business practice as they take stock of how their investment is performing.

The rights and wrongs of the two positions can be debated endlessly.

On the one hand, the transfer market will not wait for Liverpool and by mid-December it is wholly possible that the players Benitez has earmarked will have tired of waiting for the Reds to make their move and gone elsewhere.

It is also almost unheard of for a top European club not to decide upon its transfer strategy until two weeks before the window opens and that clearly carries its own risks.

But, on the other hand, the delay could result in Liverpool’s own financial situation becoming much clearer by the time the meeting between Benitez and the Americans takes place.

Talks aimed at securing a major financial restructuring deal with two American banks are at an advanced stage and are expected to come to fruition before mid-December.

Also, the fact that the meeting is pencilled in to take place the weekend after Liverpool will have either reached the knockout stages of the Champions League or been knocked out of the lucrative competition altogether is likely to be more than a mere coincidence.

Liverpool’s whole spending power for the immediate future will be determined in early December and should things have not gone to plan on and off the pitch it is eminently possible that the manager’s hands will be tied in the transfer market.

For the time being, both parties are engaged in a game of risk being played for the highest stakes.

Benitez’s outburst yesterday and the Americans’ reaction to it has hardened positions and there appears little prospect of any ground being given in the short term, particularly with the chances of mediation being so slim with Benitez’s relationship with chief executive Rick Parry also at a low point.

Hicks and Gillett do not want to be seen to giving into demands and, as hard nosed American businessmen, the chances of them doing so seem remote at best.

But their position is far from risk-free. They will know, for example, that Mascherano’s situation at Anfield is being monitored by some of Europe’s top clubs, all eager to snatch the Argentinian midfielder away from Liverpool’s grasp when a deal for him could already have been concluded.

They have also been given details of Benitez’s entire transfer strategy for the coming weeks – with players marked for departure as well as arrival and a desire on the manager’s behalf to balance the books – and should the necessary defensive reinforcements not be recruited then an injury to one of the Liverpool’s main defenders could cost them any realistic hopes of challenging for the title.

For Benitez, the risks could not be greater. He has publicly challenged his employers for a second time in a bid to spur them into action.

Should they refuse to budge, his bluff will have been called and he will have to decide whether he can continue to work for people who have refused to back his judgement.

Earlier this week, Benitez spoke openly about being happy with his club, his players and his city. Yesterday, he was so unhappy with his lot he even talked of becoming the next manager of England.

It seems improbable that such talk was anything more than a shot across the bows for Messrs Hicks and Gillett.

But the fact that they fired straight back, and with interest, has today left Benitez at the crossroads of his Anfield career.

That meeting on December 16 may have to be brought forward – it is time for the air at Anfield to be cleared once and for all.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #31: Nov 24, 2007 12:30:40 am
      Rafa didn't buy big enough in the summer. 

Agree with this JD but did he really have the money to spend on the top quality players?? I think the new owners are trying to play a 'media friendly' game with this. They can say that Rafa spent big in the summer but when we look at the money coming from sales as well we know he didn't spend as much as the media will lead most people to believe.

Pragmatic made an excellent point in that Tom Hicks and George Gillett will only see the money they have put in for transfers and will either convieniently forget or overlook the money Rafa has recouped in sales during the summer. I feel this could be one of the main reasons behind Rafa's frustration as most people think Liverpool have spent big over the summer, when really we have not spent much more than in other seasons.

Rafa will walk - he won't wait for the pay-off.

Although I personally don't think Rafa will walk away from the job, I do agree with Donrafael that if he was ever to be pushed too far he would have no hesitation to walk away from the job but in reality I think that point is a long way off and that this will be resolved(if indeed there is anything to resolve) pretty quickly!
      popool
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #32: Nov 24, 2007 01:14:56 am
      Talk about trying to let everyone (including Rafa)know who is Boss...
      What I find odd is that our distant Chairmen would try and unsettle Rafa from afar, when the alternative to our manager is a funding plan of biblicale proportions if they want to replace him.
      what is the alternative to backing Rafa now?
      As far as i am concerned it is the risk of losing him and then having to find the dollars which would take our new guy in his direction.
      Rafa has every right to ask what his budget will be in the January transfer window now.
      what is the point of finding out in December when every forward-thinking team has established (and tapped up) their principal targets. Telling a man of Rafa's calibre to coach his team is a real slap in the face, and is a personal affront to his development of where we need to be.
      He is a stubborn swine with team selection, which has left us all aghast at some stage or other, but let's be honest, we are progressing AND are still unbeaten in the league, whereas last season the title was a distant,torn up betting slip. How many of us who gamble every year on us winning the title have thrown our slip for this season away yet?
      Nine points from our next three will be a recognition of our progress this season, and is realistic, which then questions the timing of our Chairmens rebuke of our managers need for forward planning.
      That is who and what Rafa is. He is pragmatic, and forward thinking.
      I know we all feel he can be a pain in the backside with his selection policy, but it has worked within all of his managerial  success, so why change?
      i love to here his interviews where he explains his rotation as an ulterior motive to our strength when the season really matters. He believes when it comes down to the business end of the season, he has a squad who can deliver. Let's be honest, we haven't had a decent run yet and are still unbeaten, previously we were already out of it.
      Valencia won their first title with Rafa under very similar circumstances, as anyone who has read Rafa's book will know. The only difference so far is a decent run of wins, which even in our previous seasons under Rafa, is something we have always been capable of.
      If the Americans destabilise us at this most crucial juncture in our progress under Rafa, it will cost them multi-millions to back a new guy, and lose the impetus (sometimes hard to recognise) we are making under our Rafa.
      Mark my words, it will be a sad day if we allow our distant rulers dictate the departure of our best asset by far.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #33: Nov 24, 2007 01:26:13 am
      Talk about trying to let everyone (including Rafa)know who is Boss...
      What I find odd is that our distant Chairmen would try and unsettle Rafa from afar, when the alternative to our manager is a funding plan of biblicale proportions if they want to replace him.
      what is the alternative to backing Rafa now?
      As far as I am concerned it is the risk of losing him and then having to find the dollars which would take our new guy in his direction.
      Rafa has every right to ask what his budget will be in the January transfer window now.
      what is the point of finding out in December when every forward-thinking team has established (and tapped up) their principal targets. Telling a man of Rafa's calibre to coach his team is a real slap in the face, and is a personal affront to his development of where we need to be.
      He is a stubborn swine with team selection, which has left us all aghast at some stage or other, but let's be honest, we are progressing AND are still unbeaten in the league, whereas last season the title was a distant,torn up betting slip. How many of us who gamble every year on us winning the title have thrown our slip for this season away yet?
      Nine points from our next three will be a recognition of our progress this season, and is realistic, which then questions the timing of our Chairmens rebuke of our managers need for forward planning.
      That is who and what Rafa is. He is pragmatic, and forward thinking.
      I know we all feel he can be a pain in the backside with his selection policy, but it has worked within all of his managerial  success, so why change?
      I love to here his interviews where he explains his rotation as an ulterior motive to our strength when the season really matters. He believes when it comes down to the business end of the season, he has a squad who can deliver. Let's be honest, we haven't had a decent run yet and are still unbeaten, previously we were already out of it.
      Valencia won their first title with Rafa under very similar circumstances, as anyone who has read Rafa's book will know. The only difference so far is a decent run of wins, which even in our previous seasons under Rafa, is something we have always been capable of.
      If the Americans destabilise us at this most crucial juncture in our progress under Rafa, it will cost them multi-millions to back a new guy, and lose the impetus (sometimes hard to recognise) we are making under our Rafa.
      Mark my words, it will be a sad day if we allow our distant rulers dictate the departure of our best asset by far.

Excellent post mate! The only point I would make is that we dont fully know what exactly is being said between Rafa and the owners, but I do agree that if Tom and George think that by Rafa leaving it wll save them money then they don't really understand the English game. It will cost them just as much to fund a new manager as it will to give Rafa the money to buy who he wants this winter, and I know who I would want to be in charge of the team come transfer time!!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #34: Nov 24, 2007 03:20:49 pm
      Not sure if this was posted but Rick Parry is alive and well and said this before the Newcastle game...

“We need to focus on events on the pitch and nothing else, starting with today’s game against Newcastle.

“Next we have another big game against Porto in the Champions League so we are in the midst of a string of important games and we just need to focus on events on the pitch, which has always been the Liverpool way.”
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #35: Nov 24, 2007 03:36:41 pm
      Maybe the owners want to see the outcome of the champions league before making their intentions in the transfer market clearer!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #36: Nov 24, 2007 03:39:56 pm
      Benitez admits the issue was to do with transfers - and it looks like the signing of new players.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/11/24/rafa-chairmen-dont-understand-transfers/
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #37: Nov 24, 2007 05:58:17 pm
      I would say both sides have faulted. The owners should keep their mouth shut and what was told to the press about Rafa should be kept private, this is really embarrassing. You don't wash your dirty linen in public and allow the press to sensationalize it and upsets the manager, this is not the way how the Yankees should manage things. They better learn this bitter lesson and learn it fast, this is Football and not American football or wrestling where the game is often sensationalized for greater audience and profit.

Rafa should also go slow on his purchases of players, it appears that he has gone on a shopping spree where any so called potential players that becomes  available becomes his target. He must know what style he wants to play and buys players that fit into his style and system, otherwise, he would continue to buy and buy and buy which will eventually break our bank.

In summary i don't believe the management did spend a nett 50 mil pds on players but merely 25-30 milllion pds, i guess so, after considering the players that were sold. So, with that kind of money spent, the management should know too well that we should spend another 20 to 25 million pd  before we can call ourselves serious title contenders.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #38: Nov 24, 2007 06:19:42 pm
      Yesterday's press conference was sooo funny...

Rafa repeated "I am here to train and coach the players" 25 (TWENTY FIVE) times during the press conference....

Making a point?

What a guy... love him to bits.
      Barney From Oz
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #39: Nov 25, 2007 10:41:22 am
      Firstly, personally it sickens me to see grown men have a pathetic arguement in the public domain over something that can be sorted out behind closed doors. To me I find these sort of antics from both sides extremely embarrassing to our club.

If I were in Rafa's shoes, I'd take a long hard look at his self imposed rotation policy and ask myself if this policy is really working for Liverpool's chances in the Premier League. He made 2 classy signings in Torres and Babel, the rest I think were very ordinary. Personally I'd like to see Rafa play our strongest team in the Premier League and Champions League and play whoever in the Carling and FA Cup. I found that when players like Torres, Kuyt, Babel and Gerrard are on the pitch at the same time, we have a Liverpool team that is impossible to stop. The team performs so much better when those four players are on the pitch at the same time.

With regards to Hicks and Gillett, I'd like to see them keep their word and give Rafa the squad he wants. They really should steer clear from Rafa and let him build the team, instead, they should concentrate all their efforts into getting the new stadium under way. I think the new stadium is far more important than any publis spat with the team manager.
      Bootle Buck
      • Forum David Johnson

• 233 posts | 30 
      Reply #40: Nov 25, 2007 11:27:33 am
      Admittedly I wish it hadn't come to this and I think both parties haven't handled this at all well. But the one thing that gets on my tits is the one question...

I'd like to know where this "significant investment" in the squad has come from ????

OK we spent in the summer but we sold as well. Our net spending was only 20 odd million, the same as Everton and even Fulham to name just a couple.

Given the fact all clubs got around 50 million TV money plus we got just under 20 million for reaching the Champions lague final.

Hicks & Gillett ...you have been spending OUR money, money that was acquired by this club anyway. You have not spent a penny yet. So before you try and get the fans to side with you over Rafa get your facts straight. Remember Everton & Fulham aren't superpowers of "Soccer" and we have matched them in the market with our net spending.

So take that away to chew on for a bit and come back to us with a more sensible statement. We may not be businessmen and we may not have acquired billion dollar fortunes..... but we're not F***ing stupid neither.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #41: Nov 25, 2007 03:09:20 pm
      'Hey Hicks...Quit bull shi**ing us and buy some players with YOUR money'
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #42: Nov 25, 2007 03:17:03 pm
      Rick Parry - do your job - clear the air VERY PUBLICLY - and stop sh*t stirring in the background...

Unless you want Rafa to walk - of course... do you?

G&H are learning the game, it's your job to translate Rafa's demands into Enterprise-Franchise-Speak... DO IT!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #43: Nov 25, 2007 03:52:27 pm
      'Hey Hicks...Quit bull shi**ing us and buy some players with YOUR money'

Excellent point.  Our summer transfer spending got to just over £17 million this summer
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,2888.0.html

In fact the most commented on article ever on Anfield Online was the one in which JD dared to criticise the two Yanks and took a substantial amount of stick off a lot of people who must now be wondering...
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/07/07/are-the-anfield-chairmen-pulling-a-fast-one/
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,3306.0.html

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2007 03:55:59 pm by koolkidda »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #44: Nov 26, 2007 01:23:00 am
      Gillet and Hicks are obviously waiting to see if we qualify for the C.L Knock out stages before they comit any more big spends on players. Rafa has shot himself in the foot with his rotation policy. If he had fielded his strongest side in all the C.L. games so far, we would have qualified by now and the money would probably have been granted. If they spend a further 20 mill on players come Jan, at least they will be sure to recoup at least 10mill if we make the K.O. stages. Its of Rfa's making. If he walks now he will go down in my estimation, and Maureen ? he won't do anything for us without a further 200 mill. so that counts him out.
      Stop the snipeing and get on with the business of winning games.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #45: Nov 26, 2007 01:57:09 pm
      Short and sweet  ......  G&H "Quit talking and support your Manager", otherwise pack your bags and head towards the direction where you came from. End of.
      johnbarnesno1
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #46: Nov 26, 2007 03:23:18 pm
      Why can't they keep their conversations in the boardroom, and stop worrying the fans that what's probably not that big a fall-out will lead the Rafa leaving!
      popool
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #47: Nov 30, 2007 11:23:03 pm
      Excellent post mate! The only point I would make is that we dont fully know what exactly is being said between Rafa and the owners, but I do agree that if Tom and George think that by Rafa leaving it wll save them money then they don't really understand the English game. It will cost them just as much to fund a new manager as it will to give Rafa the money to buy who he wants this winter, and I know who I would want to be in charge of the team come transfer time!!
      popool
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #48: Nov 30, 2007 11:51:36 pm
      nice one for the reply.
      i think we are in a boss position at the moment.
      the only progress as far as the media is concerned so far this season is that we have progressed into being part of the big four again, whereas last season we were relegated out of that to abdicate our position to the big three. By God it vexed me. Even accepting our progress we still have to put up with our live games being commentated on by Mr Gray, who regardless of our progress, still pumps blue manure, and if we should have solidarity through our troubles, it is directly because of that garbage which is allowed to belittle us at every opportunity.
      Any other side who demolished Newcastle like we did would have been heralded as a title-elect side by the biased autocrats at Sky.
      Instead, we shall slowly continue our progress in spite of them.
      It is now Grand-Slam Weekend when we meet the Mancs, and Arsenal play Chelsea.
      Heaven forbid we stuff them, (which we will) cos' they will come at us unlike any team so far at Anfield and pay the price, so there is fifteen out of fifteen to us, and we will still be rated as outsiders.....
      Good.
      I truly believe we have been discounted to our advantage, and by the time the people and media wake up, we will have our nirvana in our grasp, and without this stealth, we would have succumbed to the pressure.... we will see.
      Think about it.
      How dirty are we all going to feel when them at sky laud our names as champions, and start a new era of suck-holing us, after years of diatribe and misdirection at THE club of england, and, THE club of moral fortitude, which has been overlooked and neglected for so long.
      As much as i believe and want, the down side of being that showers media darlings, does not sit well with me, so
      the quicker we have our football providers ousted, the greater our next championship trophy will be.
      Come on Setanta......
      eradicate that itch we can't scratch, and get rid of Maxwells Plum
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #49: Dec 01, 2007 11:07:26 am
      nice one for the reply.
      I think we are in a boss position at the moment.
      the only progress as far as the media is concerned so far this season is that we have progressed into being part of the big four again, whereas last season we were relegated out of that to abdicate our position to the big three. By God it vexed me. Even accepting our progress we still have to put up with our live games being commentated on by Mr Gray, who regardless of our progress, still pumps blue manure, and if we should have solidarity through our troubles, it is directly because of that garbage which is allowed to belittle us at every opportunity.
      Any other side who demolished Newcastle like we did would have been heralded as a title-elect side by the biased autocrats at Sky.
      Instead, we shall slowly continue our progress in spite of them.
      It is now Grand-Slam Weekend when we meet the Mancs, and Arsenal play Chelsea.
      Heaven forbid we stuff them, (which we will) cos' they will come at us unlike any team so far at Anfield and pay the price, so there is fifteen out of fifteen to us, and we will still be rated as outsiders.....
      Good.
      I truly believe we have been discounted to our advantage, and by the time the people and media wake up, we will have our nirvana in our grasp, and without this stealth, we would have succumbed to the pressure.... we will see.
      Think about it.
      How dirty are we all going to feel when them at sky laud our names as champions, and start a new era of suck-holing us, after years of diatribe and misdirection at THE club of england, and, THE club of moral fortitude, which has been overlooked and neglected for so long.
      As much as I believe and want, the down side of being that showers media darlings, does not sit well with me, so
      the quicker we have our football providers ousted, the greater our next championship trophy will be.
      Come on Setanta......
      eradicate that itch we can't scratch, and get rid of Maxwells Plum
      Well written I agree with everything!
      angelofthenorth
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #50: Oct 08, 2008 11:33:49 pm
      Just posted this in another topic :  My friend goes out with Ian Doyle (Daily Post Chief Sports Writer), I asked her to ask Ian just what team does Barrett support - just had text back and Ian says he supports Liverpool    ???  You'd never think so would you ?  ;)

funny that, he was also seeing my mate aswell as his ex behind her back and now your friend. A rat journo, who'd of thought, eh. :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #51: Oct 08, 2008 11:37:37 pm
      funny that, he was also seeing my mate aswell as his ex behind her back and now your friend. A rat journo, who'd of thought, eh. :)

In the history of the forum, this has to be the most outstanding first post ever.

I love gossip me.

An enormous welcome from me.

Ian Doyle - you dirty dog (allegedly).
      angelofthenorth
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #52: Oct 08, 2008 11:39:19 pm
      no gossip. just being FACTUAL as most people aren't really. :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #53: Oct 08, 2008 11:53:57 pm
      no gossip. just being FACTUAL as most people aren't really. :)

I know. But you understand why we have to throw in words like allegedly and gossip on a publicly displayed website. ;)
      angelofthenorth
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #54: Oct 09, 2008 12:01:26 am

I know. But you understand why we have to throw in words like allegedly and gossip on a publicly displayed website. ;)

live by the sword....
      you know the rest.
      :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #55: Oct 09, 2008 12:05:45 am
      This is better than neighbours!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #56: Oct 09, 2008 12:12:06 am

so is watching paint dry to be fair mate.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #57: Oct 09, 2008 08:48:56 am
      so is watching paint dry to be fair mate.

:lmao:!!!

Any more gossip on Ian Doyle angelofthenorth?  ;)
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #58: Oct 09, 2008 08:57:17 am
      f***in fish wifes, all of you :f_thepost:
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #59: Oct 09, 2008 07:26:52 pm

spill the beans then, who's your mate ??  ;)  By the way, she's not with him now.  Hasn't been for months  :D

Quick Reply