Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join

Read 33896 times
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Re: European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join
      Reply #759: Apr 20, 2021 08:21:02 pm
      So what are peoples thoughts on the proposed CL changes by UEFA

Run them through me again?
      RomaN
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 38 
      Reply #760: Apr 20, 2021 08:21:04 pm
      So what are peoples thoughts on the proposed CL changes by UEFA

F***ing sh*t
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #761: Apr 20, 2021 08:21:13 pm
      Whatā€™s depressing is that we are going back to how football was.
      And itā€™s pretty crap.

This current pandemic footy lark yeah maybe, I still enjoyed the game when we were allowed to attend!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #762: Apr 20, 2021 08:23:16 pm

Man City finally allowed to win one
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #763: Apr 20, 2021 08:24:00 pm
      Rather him then Mike Edwards to be fair

Both got nothing to do with this.  Collymore saying one club could be up for sale before end of week  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,105 posts | 2736 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #764: Apr 20, 2021 08:25:06 pm
      Genuine question Keith -- how can you ridicule the ESL as a greedy power grab, and yet want a gozillionaire owner to copy what City have done?  Aren't they basically the same thing?  You want to spend billions to buy yourself a guaranteed spot in the CL -- how is that any different than just creating a new league with a guaranteed spot?  In both cases, you remove the spirit of fair competition....

That's why I said wouldn't go down well. I said ages ago I wish as a fan we were in the same position as Chavs and city with rich owners who spend on players. I'd be a hypocrite if I changed my stance now. Doubtful it will happen but just one fans opinion.

When you see other teams try and buy success you just want to join them, well I do anyway. I know many will disagree and understandably so.

United have the best academy in English football if not the world yet still can no longer compete with big spenders like City and Chavs. I just want to be fighting for the Premier league again and least have a chance and not just make the numbers up like we have been for the last 6/7 years.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #765: Apr 20, 2021 08:26:04 pm

Won't be able to find him to get the chop
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #766: Apr 20, 2021 08:26:21 pm
      DanMann

• 5,775 posts | 889 
      Reply #767: Apr 20, 2021 08:27:09 pm
      This is pointless. They must have known there would be backlash.

At least stick to your guns for a week. Making that huge statement and then backtracking after 2 days is just pathetic  :lmao: :lmao:

Just embarrassed the club for no reason. Can still see some punishment coming after this from the FIFA / UEFA mafia.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #768: Apr 20, 2021 08:28:30 pm
      This current pandemic footy lark yeah maybe, I still enjoyed the game when we were allowed to attend!!

I just wish it was fairer.
      Guard Iola said earlier itā€™s not competition if success of guaranteed. Yet he spends trillions on transfers and wages to guarantee it. Only by finishing with a freaky 99 points could we win. Itā€™s not right.
      The relegated parachute payments isnā€™t right.
      FFP has failed.
      Itā€™s so expensive to watch.

Iā€™m totally detached from it. I have been for years really. Its all very obscene now.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,195 posts | 4406 
      Reply #769: Apr 20, 2021 08:30:58 pm
      All this momentum from fans United across Europe now is the time to demand reform in those old crusty corrupt guardians of football UEFA and FIFA.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #770: Apr 20, 2021 08:31:59 pm
      That's why I said wouldn't go down well. I said ages ago I wish as a fan we were in the same position as Chavs and city with rich owners who spend on players. I'd be a hypocrite if I changed my stance now. Doubtful it will happen but just one fans opinion.

When you see other teams try and buy success you just want to join them, well I do anyway. I know many will disagree and understandably so.

United have the best academy in English football if not the world yet still can no longer compete with big spenders like City and Chavs. I just want to be fighting for the Premier league again and least have a chance and not just make the numbers up like we have been for the last 6/7 years.

I'll be honest.  I started following LFC in 1998, and we haven't been terribly successful for any real stretch of that 20+ years.  During that time, I have never, ever wanted to achieve success in the way that Chelsea and City have.  It just feels cheap (actually ridiculously expensive) and undeserved to me.  I don't see how fans of those clubs can actually enjoy it if I'm honest. 

We won our title last year (and the CL win the year befor) the hard way -- the right way.  Sure we bought some big money players in the build up, but it wasn't done with the owners billions, it was with money the club has generated and a group of players and manager who found a way to become bigger and better than the sum of its parts. 
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #771: Apr 20, 2021 08:34:34 pm
      I'll be honest.  I started following LFC in 1998, and we haven't been terribly successful for any real stretch of that 20+ years.  During that time, I have never, ever wanted to achieve success in the way that Chelsea and City have.  It just feels cheap (actually ridiculously expensive) and undeserved to me.  I don't see how fans of those clubs can actually enjoy it if I'm honest. 

We won our title last year (and the CL win the year befor) the hard way -- the right way.  Sure we bought some big money players in the build up, but it wasn't done with the owners billions, it was with money the club has generated and a group of players and manager who found a way to become bigger and better than the sum of its parts.

Yes, but itā€™s not sustainable. Not when rivals spend 150 millions on reserve players.
      We might not win the title again for years.

A transfer / wage cap would help. Maybe even a rule on homegrown players on starting 11.
      blacknamberred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #772: Apr 20, 2021 08:35:10 pm
      This is pointless. They must have known there would be backlash.

At least stick to your guns for a week. Making that huge statement and then backtracking after 2 days is just pathetic  :lmao: :lmao:

Just embarrassed the club for no reason. Can still see some punishment coming after this from the FIFA / UEFA mafia.

Huge fines will be dealt if UEFA still choose to punish.  The owners' personal earnings should be affected instead of the club's finances.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #773: Apr 20, 2021 08:35:41 pm
      All this momentum from fans United across Europe now is the time to demand reform in those old crusty corrupt guardians of football UEFA and FIFA.

Wonder if Carragher, Neville and co will continue to call for fans to mobilise for the good of the game, or if it'll be "ok back in your box and 3 cheers for business as usual". Well I don't actually wonder.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #774: Apr 20, 2021 08:36:08 pm
      Great to see the fall out but it makes you wonder where this energy is for the Qatar World Cup situation.

Thereā€™s not too much us fans can do but pundits and clubs who are taking the moral high ground now are happy to stay quiet around a much more serious issue.
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #775: Apr 20, 2021 08:36:13 pm

This pretty much sums up my feelings.  FIFA, UEFA, and the domestic FA's have allowed the super rich to ruin the sporting integrity of the game for the past 15+ years.  They could have addressed the spending of Chelsea, City, PSG, Real, etc years ago, but they were too busy lining their own pockets.  I think that is why the idea of sticking it to all of them didn't really bother me.  Hopefully the fans can use the momentum of the current situation to incite meaningful change. 
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #776: Apr 20, 2021 08:38:41 pm
      Huge fines will be dealt if UEFA still choose to punish.  The owners' personal earnings should be affected instead of the club's finances.

Thatā€™s the thing right there isnā€™t it? FSG and the owners do this appalling turd, walk away having lost nothing, and the clubs, fans, players and staff have to live with the stink.

Owners do not = the club!
      DanMann

• 5,775 posts | 889 
      Reply #777: Apr 20, 2021 08:40:16 pm
      Rumour has it that the SL Clubs did this merely as a demonstration to unite the fans in the cause against the organisations and draw attention to the abuse of money in the Sport.

:f_tongueincheek:
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #778: Apr 20, 2021 08:43:57 pm
      Glad it's collapsing but back to the totally honest people at FIFA and UEFA who wanted to stop our season mid winter to stage a World Cup in Qatarbent bas**rds
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #779: Apr 20, 2021 08:44:53 pm
      Yep agree with that, the owners trying to call Uefa's bluff.

Agree that was the clear strategy but I donā€™t think this was all part of the plan. I think theyā€™ve dropped a massive bollock

I could well be proven wrong with a load of concessions from which come out but I thing they dramatically misread the sentiment of the public. They thought they held more cards than they did. Theyā€™ve been called and they have F**k all and are waiting for the river card trying to save them

Look at the heads rolling. Itā€™s like an episode of GoT and is F***ing delightful

Personally itā€™s no coincidence that this was led by the yanks. Forgive me for a sweeping generalisation and isnā€™t meant to be racist, but based on my observations, that they are a really ignorant nation when it comes to external world views. They are so consumed with their own ā€œcultureā€ - I donā€™t think they understand the views outside of the US

Why is relevant, well Iā€™m sure they thought thereā€™d be resistance but ultimately throw enough money then it would passify the situation. After all they live in a country where 50% of the nation votes for a part that aggressively opposes universal healthcare and supports tax breaks for the rich and sells the notion of the American dream to the uneducated and privileged few

The UK is defo no utopia but we are less comfortable with overt displays of wealth and using wealth as a aggressive capitalist  tool. There is more history of working class ethics and a greater respect of tradition

This is why I think theyā€™ve massively misread the situation. They fundamentally misread the fans and how strong a reaction this would provoke. Seeing them retreat with all of the grace of a dumper truck is fantastic to watch
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #780: Apr 20, 2021 08:45:15 pm
      This pretty much sums up my feelings.  FIFA, UEFA, and the domestic FA's have allowed the super rich to ruin the sporting integrity of the game for the past 15+ years.  They could have addressed the spending of Chelsea, City, PSG, Real, etc years ago, but they were too busy lining their own pockets.  I think that is why the idea of sticking it to all of them didn't really bother me.  Hopefully the fans can use the momentum of the current situation to incite meaningful change.

And how many of our fans want rbe club to spend that sort of money to get the likes of Mbappe and Haaland
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #781: Apr 20, 2021 08:45:34 pm
      Wouldnā€™t surprise me if Henry and Co claim they had no intention of joining the super league and that the official statement on the website was the result of a mass hacking crime.

I hope we, and united, get sent to league two: banned from Europe for a few years and fined heavily.

Quick Reply