Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Utd?

Alisson Becker
      40 (41.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
       Fabinho
      40 (41.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (2.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      13 (13.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2021 06:22:40 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30374 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Jan 18, 2021 09:34:56 am
      Im not Ole`s biggest fan even tho im Norwegian. I dont see him as a very good coach but i saw a utd team who were pumped and ready for the liverpool game. You guys defended as a team and put bodies upfront when attacking. So i disagree agree on united came to Anfield without commitment/ambition, i think you guys had a good plan and did well. Ole should get +1 for that from you guys imo.

Honestly United sh*t the bed massively yesterday. They should have had the confidence to play some football against us but played far too quick and direct when trying to break and it hurt them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #645: Jan 18, 2021 09:38:36 am
      Do our front 3 have performance related bonuses inserted into their contracts because this season and most pars of last season they look selfish and don’t
      Pass as often as they should to each other..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #646: Jan 18, 2021 09:46:44 am
      I take my hat off to both Henderson and Fabinho, who throughout the entire game kept a potent front three of Rashford, Martial and Cavani very quiet
      Overall, disapointed not to win the game but once again we only have ourselves to blame for poor finishing and general lack of front of goal opportunities.
      I feel sorry for Salah as every time he gets on the ball he has two or three players on him straight away and he just gets crowded off the ball.
      Thiago is world class ! His quick feet with the ball is a delight to watch.
      Trent, on the other hand, has gone right off the boil. Virtually every cross he put in yesterday never got past the first man.

You can see the frustration in Jürgen's face on the touchline. We are not alone.

In other news, how good is it to see VVD practicing some ball control at last !!

It's only January.... May is five months away yet

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2021 09:59:40 am by 6stringer »
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #647: Jan 18, 2021 10:16:34 am
      I take my hat off to both Henderson and Fabinho, who throughout the entire game kept a potent front three of Rashford, Martial and Cavani very quiet
      Overall, disapointed not to win the game but once again we only have ourselves to blame for poor finishing and general lack of front of goal opportunities.
      I feel sorry for Salah as every time he gets on the ball he has two or three players on him straight away and he just gets crowded off the ball.
      Thiago is world class ! His quick feet with the ball is a delight to watch.
      Trent, on the other hand, has gone right off the boil. Virtually every cross he put in yesterday never got past the first man.

You can see the frustration in Jürgen's face on the touchline. We are not alone.

In other news, how good is it to see VVD practicing some ball control at last !!

It's only January.... May is five months away yet

:kop5cf8koxp6:

It's not TAA fault if our stikers are out of form. These crosses to Vardy, Kane, Cavani, Martial... and they're in. Same for Robertson. If their stats are poor I don't think it's their fault this season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #648: Jan 18, 2021 10:19:17 am
      If everton win their game in hand then we fall out of the top 4 and below them.

Averaging less than 2 points a game isn't going to get you in a title race. If you look closely the season has settled down now, with the two manc clubs picking up title winning form.

Our battle realistically is top 4 and we will need to start improving our results to stand a chance. Burnley is a must win. Of course if at some point we win 6 in a row we can see where that leaves us but I dont see it happening.

If we had won yesterday then we would be sitting top of the table this morning. So would we have been in a title race then? Surely we would if we’re literally sitting top of the league?

So basically you’re writing us off after one game? When we still have 20 more to play?

The table is very tight with teams taking points off each other. You can jump from fifth to first or drop from first to fifth quite easily. You mention the Manchester clubs, but neither of them have been particularly impressive this season. It’s we’ve been poor for our usual standards. Had we not dropped points against sides we would normally beat brighton, newcastle, wba etc then we would have a healthy lead at the top right now.

If you don’t think we’re good enough to win the title then that’s fine, but we’re not out of any title race just yet and anybody who says we’re no longer in the race looks a bit daft in my opinion.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #649: Jan 18, 2021 10:50:53 am
      Honestly United sh*t the bed massively yesterday. They should have had the confidence to play some football against us but played far too quick and direct when trying to break and it hurt them.

but would you dare to throw the sink against a team like us at Anfield? knowing how good we are at counter attacks and pace of our forwards. I hate giving compliments to the scum but they did well yesterday. They had a plan and they stuck to it. Even rashford was making defensive runs. Reminds me when we when to Stramford bridge when no one had won there for a long time, and we defended amazing as a team.

edit: watched the extended highlights and Mo`s and Bobby`s form is worrying. Mo needs to mix it up, he is far too depended on his left and Bobby needs to sit on the bench for few games.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #650: Jan 18, 2021 10:59:04 am
      In the last 4 league games we have taken just three points ! Drawn with West Brom, Newcastle & Man Utd, whilst losing away at Southampton, taking just 3 points out of a possible 12. This seems to be the reason that we are slipping out of the title race. We are not totally out of the race but badly need to string a few wins together !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #651: Jan 18, 2021 11:17:40 am
      In the last 4 league games we have taken just three points ! Drawn with West Brom, Newcastle & Man Utd, whilst losing away at Southampton, taking just 3 points out of a possible 12. This seems to be the reason that we are slipping out of the title race. We are not totally out of the race but badly need to string a few wins together !

The only two really crap results were WBA and Newcastle. Southampton and Man Utd are both good teams and in form so no shame there. Having said that we have to start picking up points again starting with Burnley then Spurs.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #652: Jan 18, 2021 11:39:28 am
      If we had won yesterday then we would be sitting top of the table this morning. So would we have been in a title race then? Surely we would if we’re literally sitting top of the league?

So basically you’re writing us off after one game? When we still have 20 more to play?

The table is very tight with teams taking points off each other. You can jump from fifth to first or drop from first to fifth quite easily. You mention the Manchester clubs, but neither of them have been particularly impressive this season. It’s we’ve been poor for our usual standards. Had we not dropped points against sides we would normally beat brighton, newcastle, wba etc then we would have a healthy lead at the top right now.

If you don’t think we’re good enough to win the title then that’s fine, but we’re not out of any title race just yet and anybody who says we’re no longer in the race looks a bit daft in my opinion.

City 1/2 with the bookies. Thats where the title will land. Regardless of the table they have their squad back together. Ours as we already know won't be coming back together this season. Matip will play about 6 more games in total and that will be that from the 3 centre halves.

We are a good team but not good enough to play our engine room im defence.

It isnt the gap that bothers me its form, injuries and the games about to pile up again causing even more injuries.

I wanted to beat United but if we did I wouldn't say we were long term title challengers. Its too big of an ask.

The club is okay with and is happy to wait for other windows to resolve the issue. The only worry with that is exactly how far will we fall down the league.

If we got 4th I'd say the coaches and players did okay to be honest. Nobody else around us is sticking 2 midfielders at the back.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #653: Jan 18, 2021 11:41:09 am
      I'm also amazed at how well Ole is doing considering how average he was in Norway as a manager. The one thing I think he is quite good at is surrounding himself with talented staff AND at motivating the players and these are key skills for any manager.

In a game of Ifs I think we would have won the game yesterday if just one of our forwards was in form but I also think that Utd would have won if one of their forwards had a good game. all in all a draw was a fair result and I actually think it was a better result for us than them, considering recent results.

It was really an odd game, both teams played well apart from the final third.

Is OGS really doing that well?bottled the CL group,bottled 4 semi-finals and top of the PL when let's be honest it's been an awful standard,we are 3 points away when we have played around 14 PL games without our 2 first choice CB's with a young lad that played non-league last season and another that played in the German 2nd division covering with Fab,it looks as though FSG are not going to back Jürgen in the transfer market,which shows their complete lack of ambition and what penny pinchers they are,do you think Chelsea,City or Utd would be buying a CB or 2 if they were in our situation?of course they would,come the 4th of January they would have signed 1 maybe 2.If i were Jürgen i would be well pi**ed,not one of the top 6 managers would have won the CL and PL with a net spend of just over 20m in 5 years,a bloody joke.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #654: Jan 18, 2021 11:44:24 am
      City 1/2 with the bookies. Thats where the title will land. Regardless of the table they have their squad back together. Ours as we already know won't be coming back together this season. Matip will play about 6 more games in total and that will be that from the 3 centre halves.

We are a good team but not good enough to play our engine room im defence.

It isnt the gap that bothers me its form, injuries and the games about to pile up again causing even more injuries.

I wanted to beat United but if we did I wouldn't say we were long term title challengers. Its too big of an ask.

The club is okay with and is happy to wait for other windows to resolve the issue. The only worry with that is exactly how far will we fall down the league.

If we got 4th I'd say the coaches and players did okay to be honest. Nobody else around us is sticking 2 midfielders at the back.

Why are you happy to wait for another window,we have our 2 first choice CB's injured for the rest of the season,we should have signed at least 1 on the 4th of January,we are in a great position and need to strengthen to stand a chance and have players in their right positions.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #655: Jan 18, 2021 11:49:58 am
      Why are you happy to wait for another window,we have our 2 first choice CB's injured for the rest of the season,we should have signed at least 1 on the 4th of January,we are in a great position and need to strengthen to stand a chance and have players in their right positions.

I'm not happy with it but it'd not my decision. I've just learnt to accept they've written it off and hoping we dont fall out the top 4 because of it.

The world and his wife knows we need centre halves. I dont know of another team in the country who started a season with 3. And we know 2 of ours are injury prone to start with.

But what's the point of talking about it when the ownership is more worried aboit the financial implications of covid19?

Hopefully the coaches and players get us in that top 4, covid disappears, our players stick around and we can go again.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #656: Jan 18, 2021 12:01:59 pm
      I'm not happy with it but it'd not my decision. I've just learnt to accept they've written it off and hoping we dont fall out the top 4 because of it.

The world and his wife knows we need centre halves. I dont know of another team in the country who started a season with 3. And we know 2 of ours are injury prone to start with.

But what's the point of talking about it when the ownership is more worried aboit the financial implications of covid19?

Hopefully the coaches and players get us in that top 4, covid disappears, our players stick around and we can go again.

If FSG don't buy any CB's i don't think we will be in the top 4,everyone on here saying about our strikers not scoring but the midfielders have  haven't scored enough this season,Robbo has the same amount of league goals as Hendo and Gini,having no CB's and playing players out of position means the team is unbalanced and fielding Williams and Philips in there is not the long term answer.Selling to buy is not the owners we need for a world class club like Liverpool FC with the best manager in the world,Jürgen is getting more and more frustrated on the touchline and in interviews,it wouldn't surprise me if he walks away after this season.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #657: Jan 18, 2021 12:07:09 pm
      If FSG don't buy any CB's i don't think we will be in the top 4,everyone on here saying about our strikers not scoring but the midfielders have  haven't scored enough this season,Robbo has the same amount of league goals as Hendo and Gini,having no CB's and playing players out of position means the team is unbalanced and fielding Williams and Philips in there is not the long term answer.Selling to buy is not the owners we need for a world class club like Liverpool FC with the best manager in the world,Jürgen is getting more and more frustrated on the touchline and in interviews,it wouldn't surprise me if he walks away after this season.

Their attitude to covid is very conservative and who knows how much longer this will all go on for.

I think its pretty clear now the centre back signing isn't coming so I hope you are wrong and we can make the top 4.

But yes I think title talk has long gone now.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #658: Jan 18, 2021 12:50:52 pm
      Do our front 3 have performance related bonuses inserted into their contracts because this season and most pars of last season they look selfish and don’t
      Pass as often as they should to each other..

I see things different mate. Teams play 10 men around their goal box against us, a successful passing to teammate, especially another forward is almost impossible, so they have not much choice then try scoring themselves.
      I imagined, having a prime SG in this team and he will score ton of goals for fun. Our current midfield is such a toothless, that's really a shame.   
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #659: Jan 18, 2021 01:04:25 pm
      Yet another game where we were the better team and didn't win.  Its getting annoying now.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #660: Jan 18, 2021 01:45:46 pm
      Yet another game where we were the better team and didn't win.  Its getting annoying now.

They had the better chances mate and we never really looked like scoring (again).
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,052 posts | 2728 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #661: Jan 18, 2021 01:52:21 pm

What match was you watching ? You had one chance on goal that DeGea pushed out for corner, that was it.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #662: Jan 18, 2021 02:06:13 pm
      What match was you watching ? You had one chance on goal that DeGea pushed out for corner, that was it.

It's up to us to break down these bus parkers/anti football teams and at the moment we are not good enough.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #663: Jan 18, 2021 02:08:15 pm

erm did you miss the chances that Bobby had, the fact that he scuffed them or shot well wide when in good positions does not diminish them as chances, then there was Salah's shot which if it grazed the other side of slab heads ankle would deflect in. There were plenty of chances for both sides , I'd argue more for us to be honest, yes your lot forced more saves but that doesn't tell the whole story.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,052 posts | 2728 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #664: Jan 18, 2021 02:09:33 pm
      It's up to us to break down these bus parkers/anti football teams and at the moment we are not good enough.

At the moment yes I agree, can't see it lasting when all but full team back.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #665: Jan 18, 2021 02:10:33 pm
      All teams are just parking the bus as illustrated yesterday and trying to hit on the counter, nothing wrong with that, it’s football and it can work as almost seen yesterday. That’s why it’s getting harder to score, teams are happy with that system and a draw against us is a result for them.

then we need to adapt, BTW don't teams park the bus against City as well, we need to study how they unlock it, one clue, they are better and more intelligent about crossing hard and low into the box instead of floated crosses. They also don't have all their forwards in one line in the box but stagger them so the crosser of the ball has multiple targets, its fairly bloody basic really, bit surprised Jürgen has not figured it out yet!
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #666: Jan 18, 2021 02:14:27 pm
      The long ball counter attack game doesn't work because Salah and Firmino don't have the wheels to win foot races unlike players such as Kane, Son, Vardy..... and my man Mane has lost his finishing skills

The crossing game doesn't work because the front 3 are shorties (like Barcelona who practically view their corner kicks with disdain)

The LFC corner kicks provide nothing. The team desperately misses VvD in the box.

Salahs left foot dependency makes it easier for teams to control him in the box

Games go by with Firmino rarely touching the ball

Mane has been a mess

The little Swiss fellow was electric to start but then he got incredibly lazy

This goal draught is directly correlated with Jota's injury...which is mindboggling given the front trios' past accomplishments.

Quick Reply