Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v MUFC?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      68 (70.1%)
      Rhys Williams
      1 (1%)
      Nat Phillips
      3 (3.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      4 (4.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (2.1%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      19 (19.6%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: May 17, 2021 10:09:07 pm

Manchester United 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24705 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,144 posts | 2743 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Manchester United 2-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #874: May 14, 2021 10:26:30 am

Last night was a more realistic reflection of just how deluded most Manc fans are, including some pundits, all it took was Slabhead to be missing and voila,  it was there for all to see that Mancs really are in a false position, the panic and fear in and around their box was telling, so much so Bruno, Pogba, Bailly,  Lindelhof , Henderson all collectively shat themselves when we pressed the crap out of them, Mctominay should have seen Red, Cafanny should have seen Red, and how the f**k was that not a penalty when Bailly up ended Phillips,  blatant foul, anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick,
      That bald headed Manc C**t Taylor gave a penalty then f***in bottled it, why didn't he go to the pitchside monitor...because his f***in wee mate at Stockley said no pen, typical refs sucking Manc dik at OT, every time,

We were slow out of the blocks but once we got going we battered them,  even when they got one back we rallied and never looked like losing,

Much much better from us, looked more like our old selves and dare I say the return of the Gegenpress,  thought Trent was awesome,  Thiago was excellent, very good signs and a glimpse of what we will see next season.

YNWA

Your players need to think their playing United every week Billy. Probably go unbeaten if you did that.  :lmao: You were all up for it and was shown on the pitch. However, I'd still be having a pop at them for not having the same hunger/passion throughout the season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #875: May 14, 2021 10:50:58 am
      That's more like it.

Now keep it up, and get in the CL.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #876: May 14, 2021 10:54:38 am
      Wankers fielded a weakened team against Leicester so they could play their strong 11 against us... hum.. 4-2.. nice.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,508 posts | 1484 
      Reply #877: May 14, 2021 11:07:58 am
      Watch us lose to West Brom after we’ve all spent an age doing maths homework  :lmao:
      One thing this  debate has taught me is that I should have paid more attention in maths at school instead of being more concerned in panini footie stickers.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #878: May 14, 2021 11:10:02 am
      This clears up nothing for me

So if we pip Chelsea but they win the ucl then 5 teams qualify other then that its 4 teams only

YEP, You got it!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,700 posts | 3937 
      Reply #879: May 14, 2021 11:13:42 am
      Wankers fielded a weakened team against Leicester so they could play their strong 11 against us... hum.. 4-2.. nice.

Love it
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #880: May 14, 2021 11:21:31 am

Right so lets get 4th chelsea 5th and city win the champions league
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #881: May 14, 2021 11:24:33 am
      Most excellent result. :-)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #882: May 14, 2021 11:26:35 am
      How sad. I'll leave the super fan stuff to you anyway.

Good. If you can moan and rip the team I can make fun of it.  There is a lot of space between "super fan" and "the lads have no hunger or desire to put in a performance."
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2021 11:32:33 am by Robby The Z »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,027 posts | 3960 
      Reply #883: May 14, 2021 11:31:29 am

Haha That ‘’weakened” side might have been an improvement on the shower of sh*te last night!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #884: May 14, 2021 11:35:19 am
      Your players need to think their playing United every week Billy. Probably go unbeaten if you did that.  :lmao: You were all up for it and was shown on the pitch. However, I'd still be having a pop at them for not having the same hunger/passion throughout the season.

It’s never been about hunger or passion. Don’t think you’ll find a more passionate team than us in the league. Passion has always been there and it always will be there too, certainly under klopp.

There’s lot of reasons why we’ve struggled this season but the main issue was obviously having our three centre halves out for the whole season. It throws the whole team off balance.

People will go on about mane and Bobby having poor seasons, which is true, but there’s a lot more to it than that.

When we play VVD and Gomez we’re happy to leave them in a 2 on 2 situation because they’re both that good and they’re both quick too.

But playing Phillips and kabak who aren’t blessed with pace has meant Trent and robbo have been a lot more grounded, taking away a lot of our creativity.

Our front three have achieved immense numbers over the last few years but weirdly, none of them are what you would describe as a natural finisher or goal scorer. But because we usually create so many chances via the full backs, they’re bound to get on the score sheet at some point.

That hasn’t been the case this season so where mane for example would usually get half a dozen or so massive goal scoring opportunities, he’s probably only had the one instead. If that. They’re been restricted and limited to half chances instead.

The midfield has also been a big problem. We haven’t been able to press as aggressively as we normally would for the same reason. We can’t risk leaving the cbs exposed.

People will say we miss henderson (I don’t agree with that personally, look at yesterdays game for example). But I do think Fabinho is absolute key to our midfield.

We’ve had to play him at the back for a dozen games or so this season and we’re never the same side when he’s not in the midfield.  His reading of the game, positioning and his ability to play the ball forward (rather then sideways or backwards like most DMs) is second to none.

Thiago has been affected by not having Fabinho in the team but we've seen how good he is when Fabinho has been back in the midfield. I thought Thiago ran the game yesterday and anybody who didn’t notice him or don’t understand what he brings to the team needs to watch the game again and focus solely on him. But the point being, we’ve missed having the best of Thiago this season because of the re shape of the team.

Gini has also been affected because of the it and he has had a poor season by his standards too.

Then covid has played its part. I know it’s the same for everybody but I do think it’s affected us more than others. Look at Everton for example. Usually their atmosphere is quite toxic and they get on their players back. They’ve probably benefitted this season not having those divvys in the ground. We’re the opposite though. We get right behind the lads and even though it’s cliche, we can often be the 12th man. It’s no co incidence our home record has been dog sh*t this season.

Then there’s VAR. You might think I’m biased but we always seem to be on the end of horrendous decisions. Goals that go against us that never should. And when we have the same sort of incidents in our favour they never get given! Look at bailys tackle on Phillips in the box yesterday. It wasn’t given. But I guarantee if that was Phillips on one of your lads then you would have got a pen. We’ve had it all season.

I could go on. And on. And apologies for the lengthy post but one thing that isn’t a problem with this team is hunger or passion. You’ll see that when we win the title next season.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #885: May 14, 2021 11:39:01 am
      Good. If you can moan and rip the team I can make fun of it.  There is a lot of space between "super fan" and "the lads have no hunger or desire to put in a performance."

It's why I don't bother with the match thread.

Seems that instead of seeing how the match pans out, there's a section who can't wait to start whinging.
      Gets on my tits.

Last night's match for instance, Klopp said in his interview "They were overloading the wide areas, and it took us a bit of time to adjust to that."
      Always better to wait and see, instead of immediately slating the lads.
      But I guess that's the internet for you: no patience, everything has to be perfect from the start.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,350 posts | 289 
      Reply #886: May 14, 2021 11:58:16 am

And gave up on the title chase.. City still needed 3 pts from 3 games at that point, not likely but 2 draws and a loss wouldn't have been impossible? United needed to win all games obvs
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #887: May 14, 2021 12:02:25 pm
      It’s never been about hunger or passion. Don’t think you’ll find a more passionate team than us in the league. Passion has always been there and it always will be there too, certainly under klopp.

There’s lot of reasons why we’ve struggled this season but the main issue was obviously having our three centre halves out for the whole season. It throws the whole team off balance.

People will go on about mane and Bobby having poor seasons, which is true, but there’s a lot more to it than that.

When we play VVD and Gomez we’re happy to leave them in a 2 on 2 situation because they’re both that good and they’re both quick too.

But playing Phillips and kabak who aren’t blessed with pace has meant Trent and robbo have been a lot more grounded, taking away a lot of our creativity.

Our front three have achieved immense numbers over the last few years but weirdly, none of them are what you would describe as a natural finisher or goal scorer. But because we usually create so many chances via the full backs, they’re bound to get on the score sheet at some point.

That hasn’t been the case this season so where mane for example would usually get half a dozen or so massive goal scoring opportunities, he’s probably only had the one instead. If that. They’re been restricted and limited to half chances instead.

The midfield has also been a big problem. We haven’t been able to press as aggressively as we normally would for the same reason. We can’t risk leaving the cbs exposed.

People will say we miss henderson (I don’t agree with that personally, look at yesterdays game for example). But I do think Fabinho is absolute key to our midfield.

We’ve had to play him at the back for a dozen games or so this season and we’re never the same side when he’s not in the midfield.  His reading of the game, positioning and his ability to play the ball forward (rather then sideways or backwards like most DMs) is second to none.

Thiago has been affected by not having Fabinho in the team but we've seen how good he is when Fabinho has been back in the midfield. I thought Thiago ran the game yesterday and anybody who didn’t notice him or don’t understand what he brings to the team needs to watch the game again and focus solely on him. But the point being, we’ve missed having the best of Thiago this season because of the re shape of the team.

Gini has also been affected because of the it and he has had a poor season by his standards too.

Then covid has played its part. I know it’s the same for everybody but I do think it’s affected us more than others. Look at Everton for example. Usually their atmosphere is quite toxic and they get on their players back. They’ve probably benefitted this season not having those divvys in the ground. We’re the opposite though. We get right behind the lads and even though it’s cliche, we can often be the 12th man. It’s no co incidence our home record has been dog sh*t this season.

Then there’s VAR. You might think I’m biased but we always seem to be on the end of horrendous decisions. Goals that go against us that never should. And when we have the same sort of incidents in our favour they never get given! Look at bailys tackle on Phillips in the box yesterday. It wasn’t given. But I guarantee if that was Phillips on one of your lads then you would have got a pen. We’ve had it all season.

I could go on. And on. And apologies for the lengthy post but one thing that isn’t a problem with this team is hunger or passion. You’ll see that when we win the title next season.

Nails, hit and head,

If Carlsberg did reasons for our sh*t season they'd quote this post, it's exactly what it says on the tin.

Great posting H.

YNWA
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #888: May 14, 2021 12:04:30 pm
      Wow - that's more like it - brilliant performance from the lads.  I thought Nathan really grew into the match after a dodgy start, Diego was on fire... they all were!  A nervy last 15 minutes until Mo's goal went in.

That's given me a lot of confidence for the rest of the season and the next.  We'll ask for the football gods for a nice little Chelsea 1 Leicester 1 next Tuesday, and then it's inn our hands.

TAA MOM, but Mo deserves credit for hounding the ball back from them in our half and cooly finishing it off in the back of their goal.  BOOOOM!     
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,350 posts | 289 
      Reply #889: May 14, 2021 12:13:52 pm
      We've been shat on all year by VAR, when you think Robbos 'contact' on Welbeck at Brighton was a pen and that on Phillips wasn't, 100% that gets given against us.
      What about the Newcastle goalie rugby tackle on Mane during the 0-0 draw.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #890: May 14, 2021 12:27:39 pm
      That's given me a lot of confidence for the rest of the season and the next.  We'll ask for the football gods for a nice little Chelsea 1 Leicester 1 next Tuesday, and then it's inn our hands.

It’s in our hands already mate.

If we beat West Brom then we go on 63 points, one point behind Chelsea and 3 points behind Leicester. All three of us would have played 36 games. We would also be (at least) level on GD with Leicester.

If Chelsea beat Leicester and we beat Burnley then we go on 66 points level with Leicester. At that time, we would have gained at least +1 in GD and Leicester would have lost at least -1 too. Therefore we would be ahead of them on GD by at least +2.

That would take us to the last game of the season where we play palace and Leicester play spurs and we will have a minimum of +2 GD head start on them meaning they would have to batter spurs.
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #891: May 14, 2021 12:29:12 pm

You hit the nail on the head there.

The only slight worries for me are:

1) I think Andy Robertson's running on empty.  I don't know if that's him being too mindful of defensive duties with the casualties at the back, or the fact that it hasn't really gelled for him and Sadio on the left flank this season (again down to the enforced changes), or if he's simply played too many games.  He's earned the right to go to the Euros, and good luck to Scotland, but JĂźrgen needs to sort out the cover situation (Tsmikas or not?) for next season.  BTW, I think he still gives 100% every game but you can't play 2/3 games a week at that level for that long without it having an effect. 

2) I still worry about the Africa Nations Cup next January/February: we'll lose Mo and Sadio for sure, and (haven't checked tbh) maybe Nabby too (although I'd like to believe the rumours that he's wanted by Atletico, in which case thank you very much, I'll take whatever you're offering!).  I think we really need to sign a decent striker - it's the area where we have the least cover and, as luck would have it, generally the most expensive player to buy.  I'm not dreaming of the likes of Halland or Mbappe, but definately an investment along the lines of Jota.  We'll need that to get us through the winter.

Really pleased last night how Nat Phillips grew into the game and is growing into the squad with more game time.  I'd really like to see JĂźrgen being more flexible next season and giving that type of player game time from the start of the season - not just sending them in as a last resort.  Nat isn't the finished article - maybe he never wil be - but I'd give him far more time in the team, even if it's the last 20/30 minutes when we're already 2-0 up - or start him against a struggler like Fulham.

Agree with you about Thiago - tbh, I was starting to ask myself why we signed him, but since Fab has been back in midfield he's beginning to prove his weight in gold.  Or Red!
      « Last Edit: May 14, 2021 12:35:09 pm by FrenchRed »
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #892: May 14, 2021 12:45:14 pm
      This clears up nothing for me

So if we pip Chelsea but they win the ucl then 5 teams qualify other then that its 4 teams only
      To be honest, I read the link below loads of times and I still don't understand!  Obviously Arsenal are out of CL qualification via winning the Europa but, as to the rest, who knows?  I'm pretty sure a team (probaby not us) will have to wait until the CL final to see if they've qualified for the CL, Europa or this stupid tin-pot trophy called the Europa Conference. 

Woud you be proud if we won a trophy by beating the equivalent of Grimsby Town or Welling United?  Thought not! 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56787573?fbclid=IwAR20z2BseTYwFsKr95SoKPJgY8RJbPXdXHEULT8Hs--HHJyLyk2RWP0mAwQ
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #893: May 14, 2021 12:48:56 pm
      Loved the Salah celebration - you can see how much it meant.

By the way, Fabinho has started 5 games in midfield in the prem this season and guess what - you guessed it - we won all 5.

Just a thought JĂźrgen
      Only 5?  Even when VVD and Jo were playing?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 2836 
      Reply #894: May 14, 2021 12:49:30 pm
      To be honest, I read the link below loads of times and I still don't understand!  Obviously Arsenal are out of CL qualification via winning the Europa but, as to the rest, who knows?  I'm pretty sure a team (probaby not us) will have to wait until the CL final to see if they've qualified for the CL, Europa or this stupid tin-pot trophy called the Europa Conference. 

Woud you be proud if we won a trophy by beating the equivalent of Grimsby Town or Welling United?  Thought not! 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56787573?fbclid=IwAR20z2BseTYwFsKr95SoKPJgY8RJbPXdXHEULT8Hs--HHJyLyk2RWP0mAwQ

CL winner is irrelevant.

Whoever wins it, the top four league positions will still end up going into the CL.

Now that Arsenal can't win the Europa League there's no situation where 4th misses out.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #895: May 14, 2021 12:50:41 pm
      Nope, even if Chelsea win both their remaining games and finish on 70 points, they’ve done it at the expense of Leicester losing 3 points, meaning we still get 4th as long as we win our three.
      Unless Leicester batter Spurs in their last game
      FrenchRed
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #896: May 14, 2021 01:00:21 pm
      Had it on a stream, I must have seen it on other coverage, it was from a different angle, Klopp on the left of McTominay, ManĂŠ not even in shot.

Anyway as long as Klopp can handle the situation, it's no biggie, but Sadio really needs to up his game and stop pissing and moaning if he wants his place back, no way he gets in the side ahead of Jota on this season, so tough sh*t Sadio lad
      Jeez, we beat Manure 4-2 and it could have been 7-2, and you're slagging off the players?  FFS - get a grip!

Quick Reply