Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Alisson Becker
      20 (44.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (2.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (4.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (2.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (11.1%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      14 (31.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (2.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (2.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: Nov 03, 2021 03:53:04 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16176 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Oct 30, 2021 05:01:38 pm
      Yet to win 3 consecutive league games this season, let in 8 goals in the 10 games and thrown away 3 games after having the lead a total of 5 times. Need to learn how to see out games where we are put under pressure.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #323: Oct 30, 2021 05:01:48 pm
      Well another 2 points dropped at home which league winning teams simply do not do especially when they are up 2-0.

Midfield had no control Henderson left to do it all on his own Jones was absolutely awful the entire game and Konate all out at sea I know it’s his second league start but his positioning and awareness had Maguire vibes.

We’re shipping too many goals far too easily and we need to adress asap if we want to be in the mix for major trophies.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,175 posts | 525 
      Reply #324: Oct 30, 2021 05:03:19 pm
      He really does, 6 points dropped from winning positions this season, you don't win Premierships by drawing, 2009 showed us that. Can you believe Arsenal are just 3 points behind us.

I make it 5.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #325: Oct 30, 2021 05:03:41 pm
      You knew that five midfielders would be injured at once?

I sure knew that keita and Thiago would be!
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #326: Oct 30, 2021 05:04:44 pm
      ox sell
      keita sell
      thiago sell always injured
      jones need time, nowhere near top qually
      missing gini.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #327: Oct 30, 2021 05:05:42 pm
      Well another 2 points dropped at home which league winning teams simply do not do especially when they are up 2-0.

Midfield had no control Henderson left to do it all on his own Jones was absolutely awful the entire game and Konate all out at sea I know it’s his second league start but his positioning and awareness had Maguire vibes.

We’re shipping too many goals far too easily and we need to adress asap if we want to be in the mix for major trophies.

Konate reminded me a lot of Martin Skrtel
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #328: Oct 30, 2021 05:06:00 pm
      On a side note, Curtis' form has taken a very sharp dive. I don't know if he loses his shine without Fabinho's support, but he has been a complete passenger the last few performances.

The biggest single issue for us today. I don't think he's a holding midfielder, better suited as an attacking player with fewer responsibilities (and that role only exists for us in certain situations.
      CT_LFC

• 6,812 posts | 1406 
      Reply #329: Oct 30, 2021 05:06:16 pm

Konate was shocking in that 2nd goal. Once the ball got past him he needed to hustle his ass up to track back the player but he barely jogged into the box.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #330: Oct 30, 2021 05:06:22 pm
      You knew that five midfielders would be injured at once?

Obviously players missing from that position but our failure to try different systems isn’t helping. We could easily have taken Jones off today for Matip and gone for a set up like the Chavs are successfully deploying.
      As great as Klopp is, he is far too stubborn when it comes to changing formation. We stick to the 4-3-3 too often and when we are getting dominated in the midfield and constantly on the back foot for 45mins, you need to be flexible. We would’ve had an extra CB on and been able to push Trent and Robbo into help the midfield more.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Brighton
      Reply #331: Oct 30, 2021 05:06:26 pm
      We’ve looked totally brainless really. A lot of dumb play

All down to the midfield that. Keita's injury chaperoned a draw towards Brighton. Obviously, we win this game comfortably with him playing the full 90. Fabinho and Thiago can't come back soon enough.

Word about Curtis Jones - abysmal display. He may thinks he works hard enough but it's clear he still needs to work harder if he's to have a long term future at Liverpool. I cannot believe the lackadaisical nature of his "efforts" to run back during Brighton's equaliser. His efforts on the press were poor and mistimed. Worse, he was nowhere when the second ball was needed to be won. There was a moment a few minutes before he was taken off (around 81 minutes) where Hendo shirked and mis-cued a ball high up in the air. There must have been at least two chances for Jones to step in and take control of it and he failed both times. Brighton take the ball and were set off (thankfully with no results). With Thiago, Fabinho, Keita, Milner in his position, we probably take control of that second ball and we are facing them down on their own goal. But the opposite happens with Curtis Jones. With him in midfield, what should be Liverpool attacks turn into opposition attacks.

It's bizarre that such an obvious deficiency in performance was allowed to go on for so long. Jones playing 87 minutes is quite remarkable for just how poor he was and he was the centre of all our troubles.

Chamberlain's going to get flak and he didn't cut out the angle when the ball was spread out to the left in the lead up to Brighton's second. But at least Chamberlain offered something on the ball even if much of it was to no avail. But off the ball you can see that Chamberlain's also offering the same 0% that Jones is providing off it. I felt sorry for Hendo today. You could see he was frustrated at the massive gaps and space that Jones and Chamberlain left today for Brighton to run amok. Jordan was playing like a man asked to bail water out of a sinking ship with just a toy bucket in hand.

I do worry about Jones to be honest. I think we give him the benefit of the doubt because he's a scouser but not enough is shone on his deficiencies which is costing us big time defensively. Does he want to be the next Steven Gerrard or Jay Spearing? On that display, it's certainly closer to the latter. He's got a long way to go if he is to make it. He's got age on his side at least but when starting at home to Brighton the very least you should be displaying is solidity and competency. Not tactical cluelessness and a display that sweeps the initiative all towards the opposition.

The saddest thing ultimately about Jones's display - towards the end no one in a red shirt was passing to him. Even when he was in space. That says it all.
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2021 05:22:59 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #332: Oct 30, 2021 05:07:45 pm
      Each game will have its own unique problems and challenges. As we've seen with City losing today, there will be a lot of dropped points at times during this season from the top 3. I would not panic every time we draw. Brighton are a good team. We're still unbeaten. On to the next one!

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #333: Oct 30, 2021 05:07:50 pm
      I sure knew that keita and Thiago would be!

But not five. The issue isn't quantity.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #334: Oct 30, 2021 05:08:10 pm
      Well done to Brighton, they played really well and certainly deserved something from the game. They have a real gem in Potter, really impressed with his tactical nous, hope they can keep him, but think they may struggle.
      As for us, I have no words, 2-0 up and we implode, not good enough, but a theme at the moment, something Klopp needs to sort ASAP!

Agreed ,Our disallowed 3rd was a get out of jail for them rather than get battered again and again they had a dash and got a point, so well done them,
       4 draws, Man City Chelsea Brentford Brighton  8 goals 8 pts  is a problem and needs attention
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #335: Oct 30, 2021 05:08:40 pm
      Really couldn't get back into the game when they scored the first goal. Disappointing to see after the last few performances from us. More open game you would figure be out favor but with all the space for our midfield and forward to attack really didn't muster much in the way of chances.

CT_LFC

• 6,812 posts | 1406 
      Reply #336: Oct 30, 2021 05:09:31 pm
      Each game will have its own unique problems and challenges. As we've seen with City losing today, there will be a lot of dropped points at times during this season from the top 3. I would not panic every time we draw. Brighton are a good team. We're still unbeaten. On to the next one!

Honestly, i find unbeaten streaks overrated when there are too many draws. I rather have 1w and 1L instead of 2 draws.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #337: Oct 30, 2021 05:09:38 pm
      Midfield is a big problem now.

Practically everyone in there is injury prone so we shouldn’t be too surprised we’ve got 5 or so of them out now.

On top of that we’re now full of midfielders that like to play a bit higher up - Jones, Ox, Keita, Elliott. Our team is set up for one of those max and in the big games we probably work best without any of them.

The more the season progresses the more I find the decision not to replace Gini with a disciplined defensive minded midfielder absolutely baffling.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,175 posts | 525 
      Reply #338: Oct 30, 2021 05:10:12 pm

Sensible post, some people need to realise we can't win every game and the season is a long one.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #339: Oct 30, 2021 05:11:52 pm
      Why Kopp didn't make bulk substitutions and inject some life during that lethargic 2nd half is puzzling.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,336 posts | 282 
      Reply #340: Oct 30, 2021 05:12:41 pm
      Sensible post, some people need to realise we can't win every game and the season is a long one.

True, very disappointing being 2-0 up and not winning but there's 28 games to go just have to dust ourselves down and go again.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #341: Oct 30, 2021 05:12:46 pm
      ox sell
      keita sell
      thiago sell always injured
      jones need time, nowhere near top qually
      missing gini.

tomx ignore
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #342: Oct 30, 2021 05:13:15 pm
      I would not panic every time we draw.

That’s not the issue, the issue is how easily we are drawing these games after having the lead and the amount of goals we are letting in. Drawing to Brighton after being 2-0 up at home is unacceptable, no two ways about it, it just simply shouldn’t be happening.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #343: Oct 30, 2021 05:13:59 pm
      Brighton are a tough nut to crack. Well organised and quick on the break. They will take points off a lot of the bigger clubs this season.

Still a disappointing result considering we had the chances to put the game away early in the second half. Very important we win the next couple or Chelsea might start to pull away a bit.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #344: Oct 30, 2021 05:14:22 pm
      Midfield is a big problem now.

Practically everyone in there is injury prone so we shouldn’t be too surprised we’ve got 5 or so of them out now.

Lots of truth in this.  Defensive injuries last season, Matip aside, were out of the ordinary.  Our midfielders though are a different kettle of fish.  Being honest I'm surprised Henderson has strung as many games together as he has done.

Quick Reply