Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Formula 1 2022

Read 90790 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,097 posts | 2129 
      Re: Formula 1 2022
      Reply #138: Feb 15, 2022 08:29:55 pm
      Some of the worst f1 car launches - plenty to choose from in 2014 when the 'penis nose' suddenly became fashionable.

It made the Williams walrus from 2004 look like a thing of beauty!

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,470 posts | 2857 
      Reply #139: Feb 16, 2022 04:52:42 pm
      Fingers crossed.

I think what I really want more than anything this season is a third team right in the battle and hopefully it's McLaren

I just have too much of a soft spot for McLaren. Would love to see them in the mix for titles again and it helps they’ve got two of my favourite drivers too.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,320 posts | 4956 
      Reply #140: Feb 16, 2022 05:48:42 pm
      I just have too much of a soft spot for McLaren. Would love to see them in the mix for titles again and it helps they’ve got two of my favourite drivers too.

Likewise mate.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,097 posts | 2129 
      Reply #141: Feb 16, 2022 07:57:30 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xoDJoe3fTw

Nice video about the changes at Williams. Longer term it would be great if they could secure a partnership with Porsche. Having ex VW men Jost Capito, Fracois Xavier Demaison and Sven Smeets there can only do their long term futures good. Next year or two is really about building them back up as an organisation so they are an attractive proposition for the big manufacturers out there. If they can be regular points scorers in that time then even better.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,082 posts | 630 
      Reply #142: Feb 16, 2022 10:07:15 pm
      Albon mentioned he struggled with visibility with the new tyres. It will be interesting to see how it affects races on street circuits.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,097 posts | 2129 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,198 posts | 2762 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,097 posts | 2129 
      Reply #145: Feb 17, 2022 01:54:42 pm

Yeah, regardless of the narrative spun not long after the race that he was under immense pressure and is not well supported, none of that hides the fact that he made a terrible error of judgement that was catastrophic in determining where the title would go.

It's bizarre that Brundle and certain media figures pushed that narrative (powered by Red Bull) as if it was sound reason to let him continue.

Good news about teams not having direct access to the race director. Hopefully means I won't have to hear Jonathan Wheatley's squeals on the slightest debatable move (while ignoring Max's recklessness) every second lap of every Grand Prix.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #146: Feb 17, 2022 02:12:31 pm
      Masi....Totto..!

Totto...yes Mikey...?

Masi...What was that...?

Totto...it’s called getting the sack Mikey,
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,082 posts | 630 
      Reply #147: Feb 17, 2022 04:58:07 pm
      Many things to unpack in the F1 world today...

Masi... He lost the trust of pretty much everyone involved in F1, so it was always going to happen. Good riddance.

New rules: radio communications from teams to race control will no longer be broadcast and there will be more control, so that team can no longer harass the race director. They will also implement a system similar to VAR in football, with an off-site control room.

Szafnauer named as Alpine team principal. Very good news for them, and he is exactly what they needed. He will definitely improve them.

The new Ferrari looks pretty cool. A nice throwback to when they ran with the 27 and 28 numbers.
      Here's an interesting analysis of their new nose concept:
      https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/revealed-ferrari-radical-f1-2022-nose/8253654/
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,097 posts | 2129 
      Reply #148: Feb 17, 2022 08:17:11 pm
      Many things to unpack in the F1 world today...

Masi... He lost the trust of pretty much everyone involved in F1, so it was always going to happen. Good riddance.

New rules: radio communications from teams to race control will no longer be broadcast and there will be more control, so that team can no longer harass the race director. They will also implement a system similar to VAR in football, with an off-site control room.

Szafnauer named as Alpine team principal. Very good news for them, and he is exactly what they needed. He will definitely improve them.

The new Ferrari looks pretty cool. A nice throwback to when they ran with the 27 and 28 numbers.
      Here's an interesting analysis of their new nose concept:
      https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/revealed-ferrari-radical-f1-2022-nose/8253654/

The FIA could have made it so much easier for themselves and Masi by moving him swiftly, rather than wait two months for the inevitable to happen. By protracting the process they've only added to people's miseries. Masi isn't a bad guy and he's not solely to blame for the mess in Abu Dhabi (what about the stewards who provided the most pathetic reasoning for throwing out Mercedes protest??)

It's one thing making changes but making these changes isn't enough. The fact that the FIA have said they wouldn't publish a report into the matter suggests they were quite happy to evade responsibility. Ultimately, Masi was responsible to them, the issues weren't just confined to one moment of madness from him (think of the failure to punish Max in Brazil, the Belgian GP farce). And the fact that they only reacted when the integrity of the sport was soiled shows they messed up big style. It's a real shame that it needed Mercedes to hold their feet to the fire. They were forced to react rather than be proactive themselves. That they were quite willing to hope it would all blow over is a real concern for the sport.

In other news - good to see Alpine finally get a man of credibility and history in the sport with Szafnauer. The job he did at Force India/Racing Point/Aston Martin was superb - securing the long term future of that team and now growing significantly under Aston Martin.

Absolutely love that Ferrari as well. Great colour scheme, very aggressive looking car. I do fancy them quite a bit this season.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,474 posts | 4594 
      Reply #149: Feb 18, 2022 09:29:33 am
      OMG! That Mercedes… 😳😳😳
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,198 posts | 2762 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,097 posts | 2129 
      Reply #152: Feb 18, 2022 01:41:54 pm
      https://twitter.com/lawrobarretto/status/1494654444625178625?s=20&t=ufOmO6yKalATNkENZDOhbQ

One hell of a statement from Lewis there. Personally, the form he displayed in those last 4 Grand Proxs was the best I've ever seen from him and maybe any driver apart from Schumacher in the early 00s.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #153: Feb 19, 2022 10:41:46 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      The FIA could have made it so much easier for themselves and Masi by moving him swiftly, rather than wait two months for the inevitable to happen. By protracting the process they've only added to people's miseries. Masi isn't a bad guy and he's not solely to blame for the mess in Abu Dhabi.

It's one thing making changes but making these changes isn't enough. The fact that the FIA have said they wouldn't publish a report into the matter suggests they were quite happy to evade responsibility. Ultimately, Masi was responsible to them, the issues weren't just confined to one moment of madness from him (think of the failure to punish Max in Brazil, the Belgian GP farce).

50k fine for Max in Brazil.
      The rules have been changed after Belgium. Now there must be at least 2 laps without a safety car to declare a result.

The easy thing was to redeploy Masi to a different role. What they have replaced him with however, is absolutely farcical. Alternate inexperienced racing directors and a VAR style hub, that can overrule their decisions. It's an admission that either nobody wanted the job or nobody was better qualified than Masi to do it. So there will be even more inconsistency in the decision making than there was. Jokeshop.

The sprints at Silverstone and Monza didn't produce enough action last year to retain their slots in the calendar. So Imola and Austria replaced them. There are more points on offer for more drivers, but I think most drivers will settle for 7 points instead of 8, as they did for 2 points instead of 3 from the sprints last season. Nothing has been done to help teams trying to run 26 races on just 3 engines, or the ludicrous situation where the winner of the sprint race still starts at the back to take engine penalties, as happened at Monza last year.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,082 posts | 630 
      Reply #154: Feb 19, 2022 10:45:32 pm
      There'll be a 'new' rule change for this season: drivers will no longer have to start the race with the tyres they used in Q2.

It's a probably good idea, to be fair. The rule rarely impacted races the way they intended. Now, we might see some drivers take a gamble on race day, and teams splitting their strategy between their 2 drivers.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,082 posts | 630 
      Reply #155: Feb 20, 2022 02:02:28 pm

I know you like to make strange arguments, but that's simply a lie.

Freitas was race director in WEC (including the 24h of Le Mans) and European/Asian Le Mans series.

Wittich was race director in Formula 2, Formula 3 and DTM.

Hardly inexperienced. In fact, they are each more experienced than Masi...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,198 posts | 2762 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #156: Feb 20, 2022 02:14:17 pm

Freitas was race director in WEC (including the 24h of Le Mans) and European/Asian Le Mans series.

Makes it up as he goes along  :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #157: Feb 22, 2022 01:11:21 am
      Quote from PTU

It's not a lie. I'm aware of the experience they have, but they have no experience in F1. As they won't be at every race, their decisions will not be consistent. It's the equivalent of a football team having "joint managers", and as in football, it won't work. It's an admission that they couldn't find someone else better qualified willing to do the job.

And just to add to the confusion, they have Big Brother watching them in a VAR style hub, doing what I don't know. Formula 1 is a global sport where big decisions have major consequences, it's not a training ground for beginners out of their depth. Honestly, I'd rather have Masi still in charge than this shambles of an arrangement.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,082 posts | 630 
      Reply #158: Feb 22, 2022 01:31:51 pm
      It's not a lie. I'm aware of the experience they have, but they have no experience in F1.

Again, a lie. Wittich supported Masi on F1 races on multiple occasions.

I also didn't mention Herbie Blash that will act as senior supervisor. And guess what? He used to be Charlie Whiting's right hand man...

As for Freitas, if you knew anything about racing, then you'd know officiating F1 races will be a walk in the park compared to 24h races...
      Try again...  :lmao:
      This is fun, I could do this all day!
      « Last Edit: Feb 22, 2022 01:47:03 pm by PTU »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,643 posts | 3868 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #159: Feb 22, 2022 03:06:30 pm

Freitas might be a solid option that commands respect but anyone who watch the farce that was the DTM Finale will hardly be filled
      with confidence about the appointment of Wittich.

Getting rid of Masi is not a silver bullet anyway and there doesn't need to be a VAR panel.

The rules were there. They weren't followed.

This is all optics.

Hamilton was robbed of a deserved title.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,198 posts | 2762 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #160: Feb 22, 2022 03:54:59 pm
      Again, a lie. Wittich supported Masi on F1 races on multiple occasions.

I also didn't mention Herbie Blash that will act as senior supervisor. And guess what? He used to be Charlie Whiting's right hand man...

As for Freitas, if you knew anything about racing, then you'd know officiating F1 races will be a walk in the park compared to 24h races...
      Try again...  :lmao:
      This is fun, I could do this all day!

You were warned what the snowflake was like  :lmao:

Quick Reply