Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      59 (72.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      5 (6.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      4 (4.9%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (8.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2022 06:24:58 pm

Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25435 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Re: Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #782: Jan 02, 2022 07:50:01 pm
      Klopps going to rebuild this side now, we will se 3/4 more regulars. By start of next season we will be ready to go again

Hes got 2 years left and i don't see JĆ¼rgen staying beyond 2024. So if he's going to rebuild the squad it needs to be this month if possible to add someone and in the summer. The fat needs to be cut this summer, 4 or 5 in the first team squad need shipping out and fsg need to put some money in to back JĆ¼rgen.

Sadly though the latter won't happen ... its obvious to me where the money will come from.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #783: Jan 02, 2022 07:50:16 pm
      Are they not good players and didnā€™t they improve the squad ? Or are they not glamorous or more expensive enough

Gini decided to leave - turned down a new contract and left

Offered Gini peanuts clearly otherwise unless he preferred Paris I canā€™t see why he would leave, Kostas is a squad player.

So we bought 1 player in Jota who could slot into the first team.

FSG not paying you enough you got to do better than that 🤣

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5032 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #784: Jan 02, 2022 07:52:22 pm
      were did Ferguson get this policy from Shankly of course. We have been bargain hunting for too long look what happens when you go for the best with ALI and VVD you win the top prizes. Naby ,OX, Thiago all have injury issues we simply cant carry them. Hendo looks spent and Milly has given us all he can. Iamgine Gerrard and Alonso in this team City would be shitting themselves

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To do what we have done under JĆ¼rgen has been nothing short of miraculous, to appear in two Champions League Finals winning one, not forgetting a UEFA CUP final previously, and to compete for and almost winning two domestic league titles with a record points tally to boot, winning it in 19/20 of course, add the Super cup and the world club cup thingy tooā€¦.all done on a shoestring budget,

Man City despite the Millions they have spent and still have at their disposal have had to up the ante because we have been a threat, but to pardon the pun, the goalpost have shifted, we cannot expect to consistently compete with City on the current system of only investing on what you earn, today is further proof of that where we simply do not have the quality nor the quantity to remain a pain in the arse to the likes of City, 
      Chelsea wonā€™t be standing still they too have the finances to continue to improve, and we have the new kids on the block soon in Newcastle, itā€™s completely obvious to me that we need a fairly huge investment of squad numbers, Iā€™m only surmising but I reckon we have less than two seasons to completely revamp our squad, we cannot rely solely on the kids emerging from the U23ā€™s and beyond, we have the major of our current encumbants at 30 or near as damn it and although players play on longer these days we canā€™t afford to have a squad riddled with those past their best,

This summer for me is where it should all start, it is my belief that we are already playing catch up, so itā€™s absolutely pivotal we invest heavily particularly in the areas where we are weakest, midfield, we are fine up top for now, probably get another season with what we have, same at the back, but we need at least three new faces that are better than we have now, Hendo for me is starting to wane, he still has a lot to give but we need fresher legs and reliability, Jimmy is a legend but itā€™s time to move on from relying on 35 year olds, Fabinho similarly to Hendo, probably another good season in him, Thiago, his age is already against him, especially at the intensity we play at, Ox, is having his best season for what it seems like two years, again, not the level we need to compete at, all of those positions need filling with younger fresher higher quality individuals,

There is no question, we need, absolutely need to rebuild starting with the midfield, JĆ¼rgen knows this, heā€™s not daft, he knows exactly what is required, so I just hope he has his shopping list ready to demand to JW what exactly what he needs to do !!

Y  N  W  A
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #785: Jan 02, 2022 07:52:52 pm

If you want to win the league then you need a squad that is as good as other title contenders. Our first 11 is but we lack the bench, to rotate out injured or out of form players. you could either invest and challenge for the league, or do enough to get into CL because thats where the money is.
      Why spend to win something? when you can only do enough to get into the money league? Playing devils advocate here, so maybe 4th is good enough for the owners? i should also add, that i think alot of owners think that. not just ours. Its too much money in the game.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2022 07:59:58 pm by Billo »
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #786: Jan 02, 2022 07:53:02 pm
      Can't wait until we win again to cut all the FSG/Squad investment chat  ;D
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #787: Jan 02, 2022 07:53:44 pm
      Offered Gini peanuts clearly otherwise unless he preferred Paris I canā€™t see why he would leave, Kostas is a squad player.

I think we had to pay a minimal amount upfront for jota too and used hoover as a makeweight in that deal.

Back up at right back ... still none.

Creativity and goals in midfield ... still none

Quality back up for jota, Mo and sadio .... still none.

Wouldn't back him in our most desperate time last January.

Someone tell me who else will have us 2nd or 3rd operating on the peanuts JĆ¼rgen klopp is given.

Nobody.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #788: Jan 02, 2022 07:56:01 pm

Gini signed a contract worth Ā£165k a week after tax - which means we would have to offered over Ā£300k for him !! Ā£300k for Gini

Thiago slots into the first team does he not ?

Konate as well ?

Is that the only way to invest- buy players to slot into the first team or to build up the strength of the squad ?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #789: Jan 02, 2022 07:57:17 pm
      Donā€™t understand why people come on forums and just push their strange agendas to the max.

This squad needs investment. It needs a slight freshen up. Itā€™s just fact.

Even with a few players out, our bench today was still shocking. I think people forget that weā€™re Liverpool at times.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #790: Jan 02, 2022 07:58:10 pm
      Try pick an 11 for Thursday 😬
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #791: Jan 02, 2022 07:58:30 pm
      Donā€™t understand why people come on forums and just push their strange agendas to the max.

Even with a few players out, our bench today was still shocking. I think people forget that weā€™re Liverpool at times.

yeah, i also find it strange that liverpool supporters arguing against strengthening the team.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #792: Jan 02, 2022 07:59:04 pm

Kelleher

Williams
      Konate
      Gomez
      Kostas

Morton
      Fabinho
      Ox
      Jones

Jota
      Taki

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #793: Jan 02, 2022 07:59:36 pm
      yeah, i also find it strange that liverpool supporters arguing against strengthening the team.

I donā€™t think anyone is arguing ā€œagainstā€ strengthening the team
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #794: Jan 02, 2022 07:59:41 pm

Let's be honest, I agree with that sentiment, but now in reality, do you see it happening?

That's what I'm going on, I don't see us spending just for the sake of it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #795: Jan 02, 2022 08:00:50 pm
      Rafa didn't, it was his missus, arl fella and his brother!!

you mean after his family got death threats .
      ā€œIā€™m in a difficult situation because Iā€™m a fan myself. I want to win things at this football club but I havenā€™t got time on my side. I canā€™t really wait three or four years for the club to be turned around and to be made into a title-winning side.
      seems very much like he wanted to leave to win things and dint think LFC would. but you take his own words how you choose
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,385 posts | 1542 
      Reply #796: Jan 02, 2022 08:01:00 pm
      Couple of points. We didnā€™t LET Gini go. He wanted the move just like Coutinho.

Three v 5 in midfield today, and when chavs started to get on top we didnā€™t adjust.

We had the grafters on there, I.e. Millie and Hendo.
      Players youā€™d bring on to close a game down, but not when they are outnumbered.
      IMO, we needed to bring off Jotta or Mane when we were 2 up, and bring on Keita to sit deep and cover the mid and not be to advanced.

We didnā€™t need to score any more, just needed to control the midfield and slow it down.
      We missed Tiago, but didnā€™t manage the game accordingly.
      Iā€™m not giving up, city can have a bad time as well as anyone. Just very tough now and need some luck to go out way !
      Kellegher motm for me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #797: Jan 02, 2022 08:01:54 pm
      Kelleher

Williams
      Konate
      Gomez
      Kostas

Morton
      Fabinho
      Ox
      Jones

Jota
      Taki

I was thinking 4 4 2 also, not sure is Taki back? Robbo is so Id movd Taki up left mid
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #798: Jan 02, 2022 08:03:41 pm

And you believed that tabloid bullshit, shame on you.

He asked for their opinion and they told him, win winning all those trophies with Chelsea, will it mean the same as what you win with Liverpool.

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #799: Jan 02, 2022 08:04:49 pm

Sound like a bluenose with that shout!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #800: Jan 02, 2022 08:05:26 pm

As strong as possible.
      Play the kids against Shrewsbury if we have to
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #801: Jan 02, 2022 08:06:07 pm
      I was thinking 4 4 2 also, not sure is Taki back? Robbo is so Id movd Taki up left mid

Seen a few reports that they expect him to be back - maybe Origi as well but not sure
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #802: Jan 02, 2022 08:06:19 pm

Kelleher
      TAA
      VVD
      Konate
      Robertson

Thiago if fit
      Fab
      OX

Jota
      Mini
      Origi if fit
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #803: Jan 02, 2022 08:06:24 pm

some on here do not realise this club has been going for 130 years and has unrivalled success we should not be scratching round for signings when its been clear for a couple of seasons we need more quality in depth. Our biggest problem is JĆ¼rgen he is a genius and got so much from so little but it cant go on forever. I dont know what FSG want from this Club their investment  stands valued now at Ā£3billion from a Ā£300mil initial investment WTF do they want from it. Even Thierry Henry noted that he thought the club give them clout and kudos in the sporting world but they have never shown any real interest in the on field success
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #804: Jan 02, 2022 08:07:53 pm
      Are they not good players and didnā€™t they improve the squad ? Or are they not glamorous or more expensive enough

Gini decided to leave - turned down a new contract and left

Don't think people are looking for glamour, or 100mill signings like Citeh and Chavs have.

Just maybe giving JĆ¼rgen SOME more money to invest in new players. To have a policy of constant improvement. So that you're not left with a squad that needs wholesale work. One player came in this summer.

Yes, Gini did decide to leave - and wasn't replaced [Elliot is a kid]

11 points behind Citeh now.  Hope we can close the gap, but the odds are lengthening, and defending FSG must be getting a bit more difficult.

Quick Reply