Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      59 (72.8%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      5 (6.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      4 (4.9%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (8.6%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Jan 06, 2022 06:24:58 pm

Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25015 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,306 posts | 1669 
      Re: Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: Jan 02, 2022 08:10:15 pm
      As strong as possible.
      Play the kids against Shrewsbury if we have to

Won't need to play many kids I would.expect against Shrewsbury
      Alison
      Williams
      Gomez
      Matip
      Tzimikas

Morton
      Milner
      Jones

Bobby
      Gordon
      Taki/Origi
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #806: Jan 02, 2022 08:11:23 pm
      I think the midfield is a big problem for us now. We used to have tons of energy in there but those levels seem to have dropped to me. Has Hendo lost his legs now? I was never a huge admirer of his footballing ability but always respected the miles he put in for the team for others to flourish but I donā€™t even see that from him nowadays. He was poor again today.

We miss Gini.  JĆ¼rgen wants to have a settled team, but that only works when the core group of players are regularly fit and available -- Gini could always be counted on in that regard.  We really are missing that reliable water carrier in the engine room. 

Title gone by 2nd Jan but we canā€™t be too harsh on the lads, itā€™s miracle we are still right up bearing the crumbs that JĆ¼rgen has at his disposal.

I think the problem is multi faceted.  It is true that FSG need to invest more.  However, it is also true that no one should be expected to match City's spending.  It's so frustrating to hear the FA, FIFA, and UEFA all whinge about sporting integrity at the suggestion of a breakaway league, only to do F**k all to curb the spending of teams like Chelsea, City, and PSG -- they are the ones truly making a mockery of sporting integrity in football.....

Still have the CL and cups to play for.  Hopefully we can land some silver this season. 

Cheers
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,155 posts | 3466 
      Reply #807: Jan 02, 2022 08:12:20 pm
      Don't think people are looking for glamour, or 100mill signings like Citeh and Chavs have.

Just maybe giving JĆ¼rgen SOME more money to invest in new players. To have a policy of constant improvement. So that you're not left with a squad that needs wholesale work. One player came in this summer.

Yes, Gini did decide to leave - and wasn't replaced [Elliot is a kid]

11 points behind Citeh now.  Hope we can close the gap, but the odds are lengthening, and defending FSG must be getting a bit more difficult.

Klopp has spent some money - how the hell did all those players arrive into the club

The squad doesnā€™t need ā€œwholesaleā€ work ffs

Yes we are behind City but ffs we canā€™t use a team with unlimited budget as a benchmark - we canā€™t compete with that and have to spend within the clubs means - we donā€™t have cash rich owners with bundles in the bank ready to spend on players , the club hasnā€™t worked that way

Tadders

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #808: Jan 02, 2022 08:14:29 pm
       City aside this would be a good result, they are ruining football. Just wish Pep would f**k off to Barca and rebuild them, thought he might show a bit of compassion in their hour of need. But as they are skint heā€™s going to stay with the sheiks.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,299 posts | 4944 
      Reply #809: Jan 02, 2022 08:17:38 pm
      I donā€™t think anyone is arguing ā€œagainstā€ strengthening the team

Agree.

No one has ever done so as far as I can see.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1223 
      Reply #810: Jan 02, 2022 08:21:52 pm
      F*ck this, back to Spiderman
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #811: Jan 02, 2022 08:23:49 pm
      What we are all witnessing now is the lack of investment that should have been made in the last two summer windows, FSG policy isnā€™t going to work if your stands lie empty on a match day, what I canā€™t get my head around is they are businessmen first and foremost but yet fail to have the wherewithal to invest where their model of investment ceased to exist, even if they were to dig deep into their own considerable wealth knew that any personal investment would be returned in due course, speculate to accumulate and all that,

I donā€™t suppose any of us know the real ins and outs of whatever happens between the boardroom and the accounts department but surely even they can see that our current squad is in the midst of their twilight years and perhaps need to be aware that, the longer they leave it the more expensive it will become.

Y  N  W  A
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,155 posts | 3466 
      Reply #812: Jan 02, 2022 08:25:28 pm
      City aside this would be a good result, they are ruining football. Just wish Pep would f**k off to Barca and rebuild them, thought he might show a bit of compassion in their hour of need. But as they are skint heā€™s going to stay with the sheiks.

Thatā€™s sums it up - if you take away City who have financially cheated to make the playing field uneven then it would be a great battle with Chelsea - but because they have been allowed to do what they have then any time needing to challenge needs to be perfect and they need city to drop their level , itā€™s going to be tough
      In One
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      • Iā€™m an arl arse
      Reply #813: Jan 02, 2022 08:26:03 pm
      Klopp has spent some money - how the hell did all those players arrive into the club

Yes we are behind City but ffs we canā€™t use a team with unlimited budget as a benchmark - we canā€™t compete with that and have to spend within the clubs means - we donā€™t have cash rich owners with bundles in the bank ready to spend on players , the club hasnā€™t worked that way
      I donā€™t think anyone is saying we can compete financial wise with the other two but surely to god we canā€™t carry on with a midfield with nothing going for it. And  I mean nothing itā€™s embarrassing . Are you happy with it be honest with yehself . One just one top class ball player with vision an a bit of bite in him Iā€™d settle for . Henry has to put his hand in his pocket Iā€™m afraid he makes enough off the bleedin franchise side of it and the fkn members cards and whatever else theve introduced. But heā€™s not arsed as long as him an his mate Lebron show there face now and again give a little wave to the whoppers and do one back the States . If anyone is saying there sound with what weā€™ve got then im afraid for the support of our great team .
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #814: Jan 02, 2022 08:27:21 pm

Keep yer hair on, not saying it needs wholesale work now.
      Just that squads without adequate and consistent investment end up having to do that.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,155 posts | 3466 
      Reply #815: Jan 02, 2022 08:29:13 pm
      Keep yer hair on, not saying it needs wholesale work now.
      Just that squads without adequate investment end up having to do that.

And there is the crux - who decides whatā€™s ā€œadequateā€

Each year goes by they add to the squad - both with players to strengthen , players for the future and some back up

For some thatā€™s not enough
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #816: Jan 02, 2022 08:31:38 pm

Each year goes by they add to the squad - both with players to strengthen , players for the future and some back up

I'm not going back years. Just this summer. When we signed one player and let a lot more than that go. For me that is not enough.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #817: Jan 02, 2022 08:33:32 pm

Agreed but so was Owen. If youā€™re good enough, youā€™re old enough and Elliott more than looked the part until his injury.

If weā€™d paid X amount for Elliott last summer then people wouldā€™ve been raving about him rather than saying heā€™s just a kid. Same if Bellingham was signed (for example)
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,155 posts | 3466 
      Reply #818: Jan 02, 2022 08:33:35 pm
      I'm not going back years. Just this summer. When we signed one player and let a lot more than that go. For me that is not enough.

We signed Konate and then brought back Elliot and Taki back into the squad. Gini was the one main player to leave plus Shaqiri
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #819: Jan 02, 2022 08:35:12 pm
      I think the problem is multi faceted.  It is true that FSG need to invest more.  However, it is also true that no one should be expected to match City's spending.

Don't think anyone expects FSG to match Citeh's spending.
      Just maybe JĆ¼rgen more than he currently has, as he's shown he can make a lot from a little.

Also hope we can get some silverware this year :)
      Tadders

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #820: Jan 02, 2022 08:37:05 pm
      Donā€™t worry guys fifa will sort this with FFP
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #821: Jan 02, 2022 08:37:53 pm

Thatā€™s sums it up - if you take away City who have financially cheated to make the playing field uneven then it would be a great battle with Chelsea - but because they have been allowed to do what they have then any time needing to challenge needs to be perfect and they need city to drop their level , itā€™s going to be tough

I totally agree, but then you have the argument that being so close (to these certain clubs and we all know who they are) that if you dip into further resources, you could beat them which would be superhuman achievement. Not just the once. They are just not interested enough other than the profit, which is normal but not what we all really want
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,155 posts | 3466 
      Reply #822: Jan 02, 2022 08:38:09 pm
      Donā€™t worry guys fifa will sort this with FFP

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Guess if you canā€™t laugh what can you do
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,155 posts | 3466 
      Reply #823: Jan 02, 2022 08:39:43 pm
      I totally agree, but then you have the argument that being so close (to these certain clubs and we all know who they are) that if you dip into further resources, you could beat them which would be superhuman achievement. Not just the once. They are just not interested enough other than the profit, which is normal but not what we all really want

What profit ?

And the club is self sufficient beyond that would need relying on finance from loans
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6404 
      Reply #824: Jan 02, 2022 08:40:53 pm
      That was a weird game. On one hand it seem d like we were constantly under pressure and were maybe lucky to get a point. On the other hand it also left me thinking we really should have gotten 3 points.

Great goal by Mane but he was pretty wasteful with a lot of his possession other than that. Jota as well. He seems to be having a bit of a blip.

Midfield worked hard but sometimes itā€™s not really about how hard you work but how smart. We still seemed to be having trouble completing passes that normally we would complete.

Missing a bit of Robboā€™s bite as well I feel like.

I guess at the end of the day, disappointed we didnā€™t win but the point is something anyway.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #825: Jan 02, 2022 08:40:54 pm

It isnā€™t enough though mate, thatā€™s as plain as day, up until this season we have competed, as things are financially that is no longer viable, the FSG mantra of only putting back in what is earned has run its course, nobody is saying we need to match what City, Chavs and no doubt Newcastle will invest, but we have to spend a hell of a lot more than what we have so far,

Itā€™s commendable that what we have achieved with the current budget, but if you want to continue to dine at the big table we need to be eating steak rather than spam !

bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,267 posts | 282 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #826: Jan 02, 2022 08:41:04 pm
      What profit ?

And the club is self sufficient beyond that would need relying on finance from loans

I know that mate. They are loaded. There are different ways
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1670 
      • YNWA
      Reply #827: Jan 02, 2022 08:41:33 pm
      Agreed but so was Owen. If youā€™re good enough, youā€™re old enough and Elliott more than looked the part until his injury.

If weā€™d paid X amount for Elliott last summer then people wouldā€™ve been raving about him rather than saying heā€™s just a kid. Same if Bellingham was signed (for example)

Maybe should take this to the FSG thread, but the argument was made that Elliot coming in kinda equalised Gini/Shaq leaving. Elliot is a very promising kid, not doubt, and I do think if yer good enough yer old enough, but would be good to have a season under his belt at the top level.
      Gini was already a Klopp regular for lots of years, played LOTS of games, was the 3rd guy with Hendo/Fab, and is a different player to Elliot.

Don't even think it's about Gini specifically, don't want to get bogged down on him - it's more about investing in the squad 'to a level' that will allow JĆ¼rgen to freshen things up, consistently improve, to try and compete with the best.

Quick Reply