Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Cardiff?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.2%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      2 (3.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (7.9%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      2 (3.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      25 (39.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      27 (42.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2022 01:50:36 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12295 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,467 posts | 4591 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Feb 06, 2022 06:17:07 pm
      Not watched any minute of the game today but glad we won…

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #392: Feb 06, 2022 06:19:19 pm
      Minamino is a decent squad player I think. Was ok today.

And Elliot is a great example to that Carvalho of what can happen if you come to Liverpool. You will get a chance. Not like at other clubs.

Bring on Norwich.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #393: Feb 06, 2022 06:41:59 pm

I'll whisper this... But also Tim Cahill
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 114 
      Reply #394: Feb 06, 2022 06:47:30 pm

Wash your mouth out with soap.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #395: Feb 06, 2022 07:19:52 pm
      Job done and a nice tie for the fifth round.

I liked the line up today. I had a feeling klopp would go weak for some reason so it was a pleasant surprise.

First half we were poor though. Cardiff sitting on the edge of their box and the wind didn’t help but a few of our lads were well off it. Naby and minamino were poor but curtis Jones really stunk the place out  again today, he was awful.

Second half we were much better though. The changes were needed and we went through the gears once elliott and diaz were brought on. We moved the ball much quicker. Made up for young elliott who was superb and diaz is going to be an animal in this side.

We didn’t have to do too much defensively but I thought virgil looked really good today too. He’s had a few ropey games this season but he dealt with everything and looked his old self.

One last thing. Can somebody else take free kicks other than Trent from now on ffs. He’s living off past goals but in general he’s actually quite sh*te at them.

What I really agree with here is the bit about Curtis Jones. I know it's good to have players come through the Academy and to be local, but he's getting past the age where we can keep saying "and he's only a youngster." Something has put the brakes on his development and again today, he really didn't add anything to the team. It's good that he tries to make things happen but it has to come off at least some of the time, and I can't remember the last time it did for Curtis.

Naby was fairly invisible as well, although he did produce a good pass to set up Jota for a chance early on. Our other starting midfielder was the captain, who always gets high marks for effort..........BUT..... ..............

wait for it.........

Our best three in midfield are Fabinho, Thiago and Elliott when all are healthy. Of course we need more than three midfielders in the squad, but I definitely see those three as first choice, and the ones who should be selected for big games. Makes for a bit of a conundrum.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,318 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #396: Feb 06, 2022 07:27:49 pm
      So pleased for Harvey, credit to him at such a young age that he bounced back so quickly. That boy has a cracking attitude to work.

Diaz looks like hell be the real deal

Crowd were miserable today, miserable

Onto round 5 we go
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8621 
      Reply #397: Feb 06, 2022 07:35:06 pm
      Crowd were miserable today, miserable

Kick off time to blame for that.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #398: Feb 06, 2022 08:08:33 pm

I quietly muttered Dennis Wise as well....
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,369 posts | 8621 
      Reply #399: Feb 06, 2022 08:34:17 pm
      I quietly muttered Dennis Wise as well....

F***ing hell......things I wouldn't compare a Liverpool player to is that cockney tw*t.

Plus Jota doesn't look the type to kick off at cabbies.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,371 posts | 1539 
      Reply #400: Feb 07, 2022 12:19:51 am
      If Harvey continues as he played today, I see Curtis warming the bench a bit more.

Quite a contrast between them
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #401: Feb 07, 2022 01:17:05 am
      If Harvey continues as he played today, I see Curtis warming the bench a bit more.

Quite a contrast between them

He was starting before the injury. I suspect he'll be starting again in the near future.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #402: Feb 07, 2022 06:07:39 am
      What I really agree with here is the bit about Curtis Jones. I know it's good to have players come through the Academy and to be local, but he's getting past the age where we can keep saying "and he's only a youngster." Something has put the brakes on his development and again today, he really didn't add anything to the team. It's good that he tries to make things happen but it has to come off at least some of the time, and I can't remember the last time it did for Curtis.

Naby was fairly invisible as well, although he did produce a good pass to set up Jota for a chance early on. Our other starting midfielder was the captain, who always gets high marks for effort..........BUT..... ..............

wait for it.........

Our best three in midfield are Fabinho, Thiago and Elliott when all are healthy. Of course we need more than three midfielders in the squad, but I definitely see those three as first choice, and the ones who should be selected for big games. Makes for a bit of a conundrum.

Jones is talented and has good feet but the reason he won’t make it here is because he’s painfully inconsistent and his decision making is poor too. He played well at Arsenal in the cup and then hes had a couple of shockers since. It basically sums him up.

I have a lot more tolerance with naby despite him having off games here and there, this cardiff match being one of them. He’s played well for us plenty of times though and I think if it wasn’t for injury he would have been a really great player for us. It’s a shame really because he will actually go down as a bad signing.

Agree on Hendo. He’s had a pretty poor season truth be told but I’d still pick him ahead of Harvey all day long.

Harvey is a great little player and I think he has a big future ahead of him but he’s not a natural CM and that will be exposed against top opposition. He looks great against cardiff when we have all the ball and they pose no threat, but if we were playing PSG tomorrow then it would be suicide putting elliott in the middle.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,715 posts | 3722 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #403: Feb 07, 2022 07:53:58 am
      Elliott is a player for now. He will be here lifting trophy. He is already better than most players older than him.

What a goal.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #404: Feb 07, 2022 08:43:35 am
      Jones is talented and has good feet but the reason he won’t make it here is because he’s painfully inconsistent and his decision making is poor too. He played well at Arsenal in the cup and then hes had a couple of shockers since. It basically sums him up.

I have a lot more tolerance with naby despite him having off games here and there, this cardiff match being one of them. He’s played well for us plenty of times though and I think if it wasn’t for injury he would have been a really great player for us. It’s a shame really because he will actually go down as a bad signing.

Agree on Hendo. He’s had a pretty poor season truth be told but I’d still pick him ahead of Harvey all day long.

Harvey is a great little player and I think he has a big future ahead of him but he’s not a natural CM and that will be exposed against top opposition. He looks great against cardiff when we have all the ball and they pose no threat, but if we were playing PSG tomorrow then it would be suicide putting elliott in the middle.

There's so much imperfection in the squad. And so off we go looking for more perfect players who are out there. Even then we only brought in a young player in our latest acquisition. I see why some of us are restless (the other irritating posts I mean... not referring to you). My solution then is we should try replacing Naby with Keita, and Jones with Curtis! We are still winning even though not perfect and often edgy. So let Jürgen develop them until he has enough of them! ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #405: Feb 07, 2022 04:52:00 pm

Harvey would be the farthest forward, starting over Curtis I think. But I disagree he isnt a top three midfielder on this team, and that will be his position going forward
      CT_LFC

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #406: Feb 07, 2022 04:59:19 pm
      Harvey would be the farthest forward, starting over Curtis I think. But I disagree he isnt a top three midfielder on this team, and that will be his position going forward

Harvey is going to be a starting regular for us, for sure. That Jürgen started him in a big game like Chelsea is a clear sign of how much he thinks of Elliott. I also agree he would have to be the farthest forward of the 3 for him to be most successful.

I'd see Fab-Hendo-Elliott as our starting 3 with Hendo helping out defensively and Elliott focusing on the offense. A 3 of Fab-Thiago-Elliott would give me a little pause in regards to defensive solidity, but maybe i'm underselling Thiago in that regard.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,174 posts | 3471 
      Reply #407: Feb 07, 2022 05:06:43 pm

It’s very clear that Klopp saw Elliott during pre season and decided this player is ready now - he doesn’t need to go on loan and he has the ability to play in the middle - so we don’t need to buy someone to replace Gini - the club will develop Elliott instead

He has been superb in the games he has played this season before his injury.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,963 posts | 5019 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #408: Feb 07, 2022 05:18:04 pm
      Naby lad, like him or loathe him I still feel there is a player in there somewhere, I’ve never known someone who has had so many injuries/niggles like we’ve seen with him, he has also been very unlucky in that he hasn’t had the amount of games to allow for any consistency to build, to me he’s a confidence player and needs a run in the side to build that confidence, it’s so frustrating because he is a f***in good player, Jürgen obviously thinks so, and he doesn’t but sh*te, but I feel time is running out for him, I remember saying this season was last chance saloon, it may yet still be but, unless we see some new faces this summer it may be wise he hangs around,

Curtis is still young enough to make it here, but he does need to up his game, again his inconsistency could be down to confidence and perhaps a touch of complacency too, whether Jürgen affords to allow Curtis to flourish here is certainly questionable,  you could argue that with the likes of Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo , Milner, have raised the bar in midfield to a level perhaps beyond Curtis I don’t know, but he seems to struggle against the better quality opposition, certainly  room for improvement for Curtis, but he has to work his nads off if he wants regular play,

Absolutely chuffed tae F**k about wee Harvey, for someone so young he is certainly got it all, he had what 30 odd mins yesterday but he looked like he was a seasoned pro, I don’t think we can blame anyone for getting very excited about our run in,  we’re  still attacking on four fronts with a nigh on fully  fit hungry passionate squad, what’s there not to like ?

Adding quality such as Diaz will be a confidence boost to everyone, they will see for themselves what he brings to the table, sh*t, he already has done within 20 mins,  I think Jürgen has definitely put more influence on grabbing more silverware this season particularly the domestic cups, but the big one the CL is the one he really wants, sat right beside the EPL Trophy would be perfection however we’re not in control of that so the CL for me is the new main target,

Gonna be a white knuckle ride ppl, so hang on to yer bellends it’s going to be fun ?

Y  N  W  A

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,704 posts | 3938 
      Reply #409: Feb 07, 2022 05:21:10 pm
      It’s very clear that Klopp saw Elliott during pre season and decided this player is ready now - he doesn’t need to go on loan and he has the ability to play in the middle - so we don’t need to buy someone to replace Gini - the club will develop Elliott instead

He has been superb in the games he has played this season before his injury.

Agree, Elliott is our future.

If everyone is fit I would genuinely play Thiago, Fabinho and Elliott.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,207 posts | 4409 
      Reply #410: Feb 07, 2022 05:23:19 pm
      Elliot will play for years on the right hand side of midfield and already with 1 game looks a upgrade on Henderson as the furthest forward of the midfield 3.

Fab is undisputed the best No 6 which leaves one spot for Hendo, Thiago, Naby and Curtis to fight over as CM.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,174 posts | 3471 
      Reply #411: Feb 07, 2022 05:28:19 pm
      Elliot will play for years on the right hand side of midfield and already with 1 game looks a upgrade on Henderson as the furthest forward of the midfield 3.

Fab is undisputed the best No 6 which leaves one spot for Hendo, Thiago, Naby and Curtis to fight over as CM.

It’s about options imo

Fabinho right now will be the only guarantee starter

Henderson will start most games but can also cover Fabinho

Naby can play as an 8 but also a little more forward - same with Jones , Elliott

Ox is the more forward one

And then Milner can be the cover

Come the summer Milner will leave and one more imo - prob Ox , can then see the club bringing in someone
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,963 posts | 5019 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #412: Feb 07, 2022 06:33:27 pm
      It’s about options imo

Fabinho right now will be the only guarantee starter

Henderson will start most games but can also cover Fabinho

Naby can play as an 8 but also a little more forward - same with Jones , Elliott

Ox is the more forward one

And then Milner can be the cover

Come the summer Milner will leave and one more imo - prob Ox , can then see the club bringing in someone

It’s quite a headache Jürgen has created for himself isn’t it, Fabinho right now I agree has to start, I’m not sure there is a better DM anywhere all across  Europe perhaps even globally,
       Hendo being Skipper does not guarantee a starting berth, as good as he has been, however he is a leader of men and when fully fit he should be starting, but that might depend  on who the opponents are, Thiago with his vision and passing expertise has to start, especially if we have a front  three combination of , Mo, Mane, Bobby, Jota or Luis, and again the opposition could influence who plays,

Harvey, I mean Wow, he has it all doesn’t he ? what I’m worrying about is that we don’t burn him out, like we did with little Micky O, don’t think that will happen in this day and age though if I’m honest, but still, we need to be careful with him, I agree that a midfield trio of Fabinho, Thiago and Harvey would be splendifferous but it could get overrun, it lacks steel for me so it will be interesting who come in in the summer especially if Jimmy hangs his boots up or moves on, we have young Carvalho come in but we’re still light in muscle imo,

Last night we seen when Diaz come on Bobby dropped back a tad, so is that a option for Jürgen to accommodate Diaz, I dunno but for me the combinations are endless, using the five attacking forwards we now have we will for the most part always have fresh legs to call upon, so say we started with Mo, Mane & Bobby, we could end with Harvey, Jota & Diaz, having 5 subs would be a great advantage for us in this kind of scenario, young Kaide could also feature sometime down the line,

Would really love it now if we landed Bellingham, if we get him and one other with muscle we won’t be far off having the complete squad and dare I say a pretty close match to those noisy neighbours over in Scumchester, not that we’re far off them now, tbh, let’s face it, on our day we can beat anyone , as we will soon prove again in Europe !!

Let the fun begin!!

Y  N  W  A
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #413: Feb 07, 2022 06:38:31 pm

Couldn’t disagree with you more. He started there against the Chavs and had a damn good game by all accounts. Some people almost seem desperate to convince others that Elliott isn’t a natural in that position or that he can’t play there long term and again I couldn’t disagree more. So far he has performed head and shoulders above Keita and Ox there and I’d go as far to say he’s looked better than Hendo there this season too. He’s taken to the position like a duck to water and I have no doubts he’d have been playing there week in week out, regardless of the opposition had it not been for the injury.

If we’d signed him in the summer for 40mill then some people would probably have a different view over his midfield role because then people would finally have the narrative of a replacement being signed for Gini sorted.

Quick Reply