Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.4%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      62 (70.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.1%)
       Fabinho
      3 (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.3%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      11 (12.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.1%)
      Luis Diaz
      1 (1.1%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: Jun 01, 2022 10:32:52 pm

Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34610 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Re: Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: May 28, 2022 11:10:21 pm
      Hard to think if it's kneejerk or cold light of day thinking but a reset and refresh up front might not be the craziest idea in the world.

Fantastic players but it all was a bit predictable in the end.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #806: May 28, 2022 11:11:08 pm
      I'd have been more confident of a goal in the last 10 if Divock was on.

We don’t have a presence up front thinking about it.
      For all the crossing we do it might be useful.

That being said I think we need a driving force in midfield as well.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 826 
      Reply #807: May 28, 2022 11:11:50 pm
      Taki has a habit of finding the net when it matters
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 826 
      Reply #808: May 28, 2022 11:12:42 pm
      Hard to think if it's kneejerk or cold light of day thinking but a reset and refresh up front might not be the craziest idea in the world.

Spot on
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #809: May 28, 2022 11:13:17 pm

It wasn't a lack of quailty, more running absolute empty chasing all season.

Then it would mean Klopp made a big mistake. But I did not see it. We looked like we always look. We had 3-4 top chances, some of them maybe not looking like much like the header from Salah that would have been a goal if better placed. Real had these two counter chances which any good team will have because of our style. Usually we score at least once or they don‘t, but not this time. Again, purely hard luck in my book. Feels terrible, esp. against Real, but it is what it is.

For the future we need a better goalthreat midfielder. If we play with a high line and ball possession - and it looks Klopp is set on this - we need someone who can also score thru the middle. Hendo is good but does not have any offensive threat, neither Keita or Thiago. I hope Carvalho or Elliott could become it.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #810: May 28, 2022 11:13:47 pm

Mo has now had defenders watch his every move for 5 years same with Sadio we need a new Ian Rush. I think Jürgen whilst being loyal is very pragmatic so I think we may be in for some major changes up front keeping Bobby, Jota and Diaz and either Mo or Sadio going. I think this is the end of Mo' and Sadio's era and all good things come to an end
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #811: May 28, 2022 11:14:18 pm

Same here, we missed that change up Player in the last 15 mins
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #812: May 28, 2022 11:15:28 pm
      I feel the same as 2007. Back then I thought we could have had Milan but didn’t go for the throat.

Players need to rest hard for a month or so.
      Pre season and community shield and then crack on.
      A slow start in the league is not an option.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 735 posts | 113 
      Reply #813: May 28, 2022 11:15:29 pm
      Courtois made a lot of saves but I don’t remember any of them being world class - maybe the one he tipped onto the post but the others were saves you’d expect him to make.

We’ve had three finals this season - two of them have gone to extra time, so a total of 330 minutes - and we have not scored one goal. It’s all well and good scoring against the likes of Norwich but our players need to be more clinical when playing in occasions like this. I think the players will be hugely disappointed because I think what Michael Owen said is right - Liverpool probably are the most fearsome side in Europe. But in the big games we seem to lack that clinical edge and freeze. With more balls we could easily have won tonight by three or four - the players will know this and it will hurt much more than when we lost to them several years ago … Madrid had one shot on target and they made it count
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #814: May 28, 2022 11:15:47 pm
      Well we got mugged in Paris. We were the better team, but Courtois put in a MOTM performance at one end, and we went to sleep and gifted them a really soft goal at the other. Very frustrating cos that is not a great RM side, they were sluggish and unambitious in their play throughout the game. Thought that Ancelotti thought he was still managing Everton with those tactics. But they hung in and defended well and then hit us with a sucker punch.

Don't agree with those moaning about our players. We played pretty well, better than them. Mo was a bit off it, as he has been since Afcon, but still produced a beautiful touch and strike that Courtois pulled off another great save to stop. Diaz was very well defended by their right back. Mane was very good, especially first half. Our midfield bossed the possession. But if you doze off once at the back it can cost you, and that's what happened.

Ancellotti prob played like that against us with Everton, just did it again with better players.  Sit back, hit on break, long crossfield balls behind the fullbacks, don't commit too many forward.

We prob had more possession/shots, but they scored, had one dodgily disallowed, and some other proper chances on the break. Don't think we had a chance were you could say we missed a sitter, didn't open them up. They got a lot of bodies in the final third, we crossed in a lot of balls that they headed out, and put in a lot of poor deliveries that keeper just came out and claimed.

The lads have had a brilliant season but think they will be really really disappointed to finish it like that. Not just to loose, but not to score in a CL final, loose 1-0, to a resiliant rather than excellent RM team on the night. Bit of a sickener.

Some season. Shattered. Can only imagine what the players/staff feel like.  They've been brilliant.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,281 posts | 803 
      Reply #815: May 28, 2022 11:15:56 pm

Cold light all day mate.

It showed when Jota came in and again when Diaz came in that a change in personnel works wonders.

Personally I think a proper number 9 is what we need.

But I'm sitting here drinking beer and Jürgen is the best in the business so whatever he thinks is best is best.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #816: May 28, 2022 11:16:09 pm
      I wouldn’t get into ideas about fundamental changes to the style of play or the make up of the squad. Just not our night. Hopefully the lads use it to come back next season and win one of these two trophies
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #817: May 28, 2022 11:17:37 pm
      I wouldn’t get into ideas about fundamental changes to the style of play or the make up of the squad. Just not our night. Hopefully the lads use it to come back next season and win one of these two trophies

More slight tweaks maybe.

More traditional number 9 and a something a bit different in the 8 position would be my thoughts.

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,947 posts | 453 
      Reply #818: May 28, 2022 11:18:07 pm
      Any word from our camp yet?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,067 posts | 548 
      Reply #819: May 28, 2022 11:18:18 pm

It's a kneejerk mate. We don't need a reset up front. Every team in Europe, never mind the PL,  would like to have our options up front.

A reset may well be forced on us over the next year if Sadio leaves and Mo runs down his contract, both of which look quite likely. Luckily we've got a manager whose record in the transfer market is unbelievable. But, otherwise, it's not something we actually need.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #820: May 28, 2022 11:18:19 pm
      think I will give SKY Sports a miss for a few weeks maybe August. A crossroads for us and this squad City still have a little sparkle we dont have and it gained them 1 point more .
      Seriously we need just a few more goals against City.Chelsea and Spurs and the league will be ours.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #821: May 28, 2022 11:18:28 pm
      We played ancelottis game. Think he has beaten us every time in the last 7 or something.

Gutted but we have played 3 finals and at some point you have to score a goal
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #822: May 28, 2022 11:19:44 pm
      We played ancelottis game. Think he has beaten us every time in the last 7 or something.

He knows what it's about.

Makes Ferdinand suddenly realising he's very good tactically all the more silly.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #823: May 28, 2022 11:20:16 pm
      dont be a c**t mate your just being foolish now

You're making up excuses for no reason. It's as plain as day fir all to see that Salah has been awful and does not deserve a starting place.

We need to sign a possible replacement. Someone to push him and compete for the first 11.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,336 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #824: May 28, 2022 11:20:23 pm
      Can anyone really be arsed with the parade tomorrow?

Your team work their nads off for 63 games, bring two cups home, just miss out on making history with a quad and you think they don’t deserve a parade?  Who did you say you support?
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,947 posts | 453 
      Reply #825: May 28, 2022 11:20:50 pm
      Madrid beat every top team in Europe really on their way to glory. I dont think its in our nature to cruise to a CL season and win it. There was no Olympiakos, Istanbul or corner taken quickly for us this season.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #826: May 28, 2022 11:21:07 pm

It was one of the most one sided finals in this competition I've ever seen. Madrid were very poor, and count their lucky stars our strikers could not finish, and some great goalkeeping.

I would say tactically Ancelotti did not get it right to concede the insane amount of chances. Same against PSG, Chelsea, Man City. Somehow all those teams were not clinical enough. Its bizarre.

It is concerning we have not scored in normal time in 3 finals though. It is far from clinical.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 826 
      Reply #827: May 28, 2022 11:21:43 pm
      Mo has now had defenders watch his every move for 5 years same with Sadio we need a new Ian Rush. I think Jürgen whilst being loyal is very pragmatic so I think we may be in for some major changes up front keeping Bobby, Jota and Diaz and either Mo or Sadio going. I think this is the end of Mo' and Sadio's era and all good things come to an end
      We'll be eternally grateful for what Mo's done this past years. A gifted player no doubt, but he's been looking a bit of a one trick pony for a while. ( He didn't exactly light up AFCON ) Yes, its a criticism, but only due to the high standards he'd already given us.

That's me done for this season and Thank you to all the players and staff at LFC for a fantastic ride.
      Have a great summer everyone YNWA

Quick Reply