Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 91758 times
      Rhys Jones and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6754 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #1403: Apr 25, 2024 12:42:32 am
      What happened to that Striker who scored 2 against us playing for Benfica?

Thought at the time he would be a Natural Born Finisher ..... how F***ing wrong was I ?

The whole F***ing net and blasts it straight at the Keeper..unforgivable! Not the first time and probably won't be the last time.

Has he scored a hat trick for us yet? Na... would have hoped by now he would have had more then 0.

Tough decision has to be made.

Develops a Brain and could be anything. Don't see that happening though, he's had enough time.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #1404: Apr 25, 2024 07:12:41 am
      He turns 25 this summer.

He isn’t going to develop like a lot of people are holding out for.

Cut the losses and get him gone. Pretty sure Edwards and Hughes will be of the same thinking.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,711 posts | 151 
      Reply #1405: Apr 25, 2024 09:01:15 am
      Any new manager is basically gambling on his future if he starts him. This is isn't Klopp who earned the right to be sh*t, few bad results with a new manager and the pressure would be immense. Some people are suggesting to use him a sub, sorry but this is silly. We bought him for silly money and if he isn't starting then we should cash out and get someone who would.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 889 posts | 174 
      Reply #1406: Apr 25, 2024 09:17:50 am
      He turns 25 this summer.

He isn’t going to develop like a lot of people are holding out for.

Cut the losses and get him gone. Pretty sure Edwards and Hughes will be of the same thinking.

So he's not even entered his peak then has he? There's enough there to work with, second guessing what Edwards and Hughes would do is a futile experiment. He's not just going to walk back in, click his fingers and everything will fall into place.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #1407: Apr 25, 2024 10:29:14 am
      He’s a conundrum, can’t rely on him if you want to challenge for league titles, but can we afford to take a huge hit on him as I doubt we get anything close to what we paid for him.
      Might be best to use him off the left wing and get another striker to stand in for Jota when he is inevitably injured.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1408: Apr 25, 2024 10:33:29 am
      He’s a conundrum, can’t rely on him if you want to challenge for league titles, but can we afford to take a huge hit on him as I doubt we get anything close to what we paid for him.
      Might be best to use him off the left wing and get another striker to stand in for Jota when he is inevitably injured.

This is an interesting point and one I've been thinking about this morning after rashly saying all three could go. ;D

You could be in to something mate. Sell Salah and Diaz both who will generate bigish money.

Replace those two with starters and then we have:

New left forward
      New right forward
      Jota
      Nunez
      Gakpo

And ideally one of the new guys can play through the middle as well
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,884 posts | 421 
      Reply #1409: Apr 25, 2024 10:46:06 am
      I fail to see the conundrum in all honesty. I see a scrappy player who first touch is poor, who's passing is rash and who doesn't know the  basics of finishing chances.

If at 25 he's still slashing at the ball like a centre half whos found himself inside the box then it's ingrained in him. When the pressure is on his reflex reaction is to swing and hope. Can practice at the safety of the AXA Training Centre all he likes he will revert back to smashing it when the pressure is on.

He's a poor player. No conundrum.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1410: Apr 25, 2024 10:48:55 am
      I fail to see the conundrum in all honesty. I see a scrappy player who first touch is poor, who's passing is rash and who doesn't know the  basics of finishing chances.

If at 25 he's still slashing at the ball like a centre half whos found himself inside the box then it's ingrained in him. When the pressure is on his reflex reaction is to swing and hope. Can practice at the safety of the AXA Training Centre all he likes he will revert back to smashing it when the pressure is on.

He's a poor player. No conundrum.

I don't disagree to be honest but as Hsc said above we likely won't be able to move out every player we want in one summer so Nunez is one we might have to make do with for now.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,491 posts | 220 
      Reply #1411: Apr 25, 2024 11:02:03 am
      I don't disagree to be honest but as Hsc said above we likely won't be able to move out every player we want in one summer so Nunez is one we might have to make do with for now.

Would you not prefer to play a younger player instead of him ?

Seriously, Nunez is mid table level at best and it’s obvious as he has very little end product
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 14 
      Reply #1412: Apr 25, 2024 11:06:33 am
      absolute Tripe. We've got what? 4 games left? time to play Danns.
      Drop this dud to the reserves and take anything we can get for him closed season.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,711 posts | 151 
      Reply #1413: Apr 25, 2024 11:12:48 am
      If he isn't starting then sell him, he was bought for a lot of money and that money better be invested to someone who can finish. Despite how dreadful Salah was, he could've ended the match with 2 assists if we even had a competent finisher. I'm not joking but Solanke would've scored all them chances that Nunez got.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,088 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1414: Apr 25, 2024 11:16:10 am
      Until March time he has 31 goal involvements

18 goals and 13 assists

But too inconsistent and a lot of it imo is between the ears as opposed to the ability

Rooney was spot on about him , he has all the ability in the world but mentally lacks the the ability to think when with the ball
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1415: Apr 25, 2024 11:48:08 am
      Would you not prefer to play a younger player instead of him ?

Seriously, Nunez is mid table level at best and it’s obvious as he has very little end product

Again I don't disagree but it's not as simple as saying 'get rid'

I think he's sh*te, he's not convinced me otherwise, but he could still serve a purpose in a squad that will again be fighting on four fronts next season.

Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,711 posts | 151 
      Reply #1416: Apr 25, 2024 11:51:22 am
      We are not City. We are not keeping a players that cost over £60 million on the bench. If he isn't a starter material then he needs to go, sign a top forward and give Dans a chance on the bench.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,283 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1417: Apr 25, 2024 11:53:42 am
      We are not City. We are not keeping a players that cost over £60 million on the bench. If he isn't a starter material then he needs to go, sign a top forward and give Dans a chance on the bench.

He needs to go is a flippant statement. What if no one wants to pay what we want and need for him?

It's not FIFA on the playstation
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2024 11:59:02 am by srslfc »
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #1418: Apr 25, 2024 11:56:17 am
      wasn't signing him was one of the reasons most of our data guys left the club?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,351 posts | 782 
      Reply #1419: Apr 25, 2024 12:08:15 pm

18 goals and 13 assists

But too inconsistent and a lot of it imo is between the ears as opposed to the ability

Rooney was spot on about him , he has all the ability in the world but mentally lacks the the ability to think when with the ball
      An example of one of your interesting posts.... It's something I've also thought..He's completely dense when it comes to thinking (in a football sense...although he maybe thick as two short planks for all I know, or care)...Of course football is played in the mind as much as the feet...it's what separates the greats from the also rans. When there is attack, there are countless places the ball could end up...but there are fewer probabilities of where it will end up, and great players know that...they "see" it...and by anticipating where the ball is likely to be, you can then form an opinion of what to do if that happens....as opposed to losing precious seconds trying to work out what to do with the ball once you've got it...which is seemingly what this lad does....As I said the other day, Do we have the time to gamble on whether he learns to think....I think not.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #1420: Apr 25, 2024 12:11:48 pm

18 goals and 13 assists

It will be intriguing to observe the developments concerning him, particularly with Klopp departing and Edwards resuming a prominent role, seemingly wielding significant authority. While I can't confirm if he was a Klopp signing or not, there are assertions to that effect (though I lack the means to verify them). If indeed he was signed by Klopp (his wishes) and continues to present himself in the manner he does, it's likely that Edwards wont waste time moving that guy off.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,088 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1421: Apr 25, 2024 12:23:27 pm
      It will be intriguing to observe the developments concerning him, particularly with Klopp departing and Edwards resuming a prominent role, seemingly wielding significant authority. While I can't confirm if he was a Klopp signing or not, there are assertions to that effect (though I lack the means to verify them). If indeed he was signed by Klopp (his wishes) and continues to present himself in the manner he does, it's likely that Edwards wont waste time moving that guy off.

I think he will be given a season

Klopp prob likes the chaos part of him , the unpredictable aspect, the pace etc

But who knows maybe a new manager would look to work differently with him

The ability and pace is all there and there are periods where he is outstanding
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1422: Apr 25, 2024 12:24:53 pm
      Ive no issue with him playing wide......its pointless him playing central
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,298 posts | 1403 
      Reply #1423: Apr 25, 2024 01:04:43 pm
      Ive no issue with him playing wide......its pointless him playing central

Well Diaz started in Mo's position V Fulham then maybe...Diaz...Cody...Nu nez should be the front 3 V WH.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #1424: Apr 25, 2024 01:42:01 pm

I think he will be given a season

Klopp prob likes the chaos part of him , the unpredictable aspect, the pace etc

But who knows maybe a new manager would look to work differently with him

The ability and pace is all there and there are periods where he is outstanding
      Physically speaking it's all there. Pace, strenght, agility, etc. Mentally speaking, off the ball, its also all there. Mentally speaking, with the ball, quite nothing is there or, if you prefer, most of the time, there's nothing. And it gets worse as the pressure piles up.

His control gets abysmal, not cold enough to assess what's happening around him in terms of where are the defenders and the goalkeeper are. Not cold enough to choose the appropriate finish and all of what finishing in a certain manner implies and even less cold enough to apply the appropriate finish.

I'm not a football manager, but I'm not gonna lie to you, my hopes get lower with him with each game. And it includes the games he scored in because some of his most outrageous sequences of play came in those games.

He might end up being one of those "if only he had xyz attribute" type of player where the potential for greatness is undeniablly there, but the key enabling footballing attributes arent.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #1425: Apr 25, 2024 02:01:44 pm
      wasn't signing him was one of the reasons most of our data guys left the club?

The talk was that Ward and the data guys wanted Nkunku but Klopp forced through the move for Nunez and that led to Ward handing in his resignation and leaving 12 months later.

Guess we’ll never know the whole truth but I think it’s widely accepted that the manager has had increasing power over transfers in the last 2-3 years and that Edwards is not happy with that model going forward.

Quick Reply