Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Uefa moves Champions League final in 2010

Read 2760 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Uefa moves Champions League final in 2010
      Nov 30, 2007 08:38:17 pm
      The Champions League final will move to Saturday from 2010, with Wembley in the running host it that year, says Uefa.
      The Intertoto Cup is to be abolished and the format of the Uefa Cup altered.

Qualification for the Champions League will also change, with 22 teams earning places based on their league finish and a two-part tournament for the rest.

Five places will be disputed by 15 teams from leading nations, and the rest contested by teams from Uefa's 40 other member nations.

The decisions were taken at a Uefa executive committee meeting in Lucerne.

Format changes also mean that three Premier League teams will qualify automatically for the group stage, as will the champions of Scotland.

But the fourth-placed Premier League side will face a stiffer test in the qualifying round, as they are more likely to face stronger opponents than under the current format.

"We are all of the opinion that this is a great competition which provides a considerable spectacle," said Uefa president Michel Platini about the changes.

"I also hope that playing the UEFA Champions League final on a Saturday will give families, especially children, the chance to see the game."

The Uefa Cup is also to be substantially changed between 2009 and 2012.

There will be 12 groups of four teams, with the top two of each group progressing to the knock-out stage, where they will be joined by the eight clubs that finish the group stage of the Champions League in third place.

Berlin's Olympiastadion, the Allianz Arena in Munich, Valencia's Mestalla and Real Madrid's Bernabeu Stadium are the other venues on the shortlist for the 2010 Champions League final with Wembley.

Personally I like the idea of a mid week final, as it is now.
      Having the final on a Saturday could cause a logistical nightmare.
      But then it's UEFA.
      They probably don't even think of the problems it could cause, it just might be easier for all there 'family' to attend  ::)

MsGerrard
      Re: Uefa moves Champions League final in 2010
      Reply #1: Nov 30, 2007 09:23:07 pm
      Don't like the idea at all of it being on a Saturday, it just wouldn't be the same, it's kinda special having a match like this at night  and in midweek.

Also not ideal at all for families or certainly children, Tommo you know what happened this year in Athens, would you have wanted kids with you that night?

Certainly when I was in Rome in 1984 for the final when we played Roma on their own ground, we were attacked with bricks, bottles and anything else they could lay their hands on after we'd beaten them.

kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #2: Dec 01, 2007 02:36:59 pm
      It will save us phoning in work sick on a Thursday morning now we can get Bladdered and stay in bed all day sunday.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Dec 01, 2007 05:43:15 pm

"I also hope that playing the UEFA Champions League final on a Saturday will give families, especially children, the chance to see the game."

I hope these 'children' have got Fancards to get their tickets  ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,675 posts | 6970 
      Reply #4: Dec 02, 2007 11:23:34 pm
      I also quite like the mid-week night matches but if we get past that fact then it will be better for hangovers, work issues etc to go of a weekend.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2007 08:13:26 pm
      By the title of this I thought they'd moved the venue.. haha.

Hm I think I'd prefer it on a Saturday to be honest. In May, I had an exam the Friday after, spent all of the Thursday after the final/before the exam in a daze and trying to revise.. it wasn't good. Especially as it's in May it's during exam time. At least on a weekend, nobody would be tired/hungover in an exam.

I also like the sound of the new qualifying things for CL and UEFA cup.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2007 02:03:27 pm
      I get the point of why they are changing the day but why not this year????

Quick Reply