Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v NUFC?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      56 (64.4%)
      Luis Diaz
      4 (4.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (5.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Fábio Carvalho
      22 (25.3%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: Sep 04, 2022 09:58:53 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 16140 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,448 posts | 3427 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Aug 31, 2022 11:54:10 pm
      Definitely miss Joel bringing the ball from out of the back and commiting players.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #714: Aug 31, 2022 11:54:14 pm

DOn't think Jürgen will do that I think maybe Darwin will start on the bench otherwise the blushite will be all over him like a rash trying to get him sent off
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #715: Aug 31, 2022 11:55:14 pm
      I think we're all in agreement that the start to this season has been pretty poor.

Check league table and we're 5th.  Brilliant.

Loving the high standards we have.

On tonight thought, Newcastle did nothing in that second half.  The number of times they had two people rolling about on the floor.  They got exactly what they desevered.. f**k all.

An unbelievably deluded gang of lads.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,656 posts | 3923 
      Reply #716: Aug 31, 2022 11:57:02 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #717: Sep 01, 2022 12:01:05 am

he is still influencing games but not having a Mo Salah scoring goals is not something we are used to  early on in the season
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6954 
      Reply #718: Sep 01, 2022 12:19:10 am
      Worth noting that Henderson, Robbo and Trent had all been substituted off before we got the winner.

Henderson was at fault for their goal, Robbo and Trent delivered a succession of poor corners and diagonal passes.

Nobody should live off past glories.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #719: Sep 01, 2022 01:07:03 am
      Shithouse toons got exactly what they deserved. Had to watch this on delay and just finished, what a finish to keep pounding away and pounding away.

One thing I’m noticing, we don’t seem to be making the smart touches and smart decisions that we used to make. Especially our defenders. Saw several times Fab, Trent, Joe and Virgil just pissing about and not really playing quick and incisive like they used to. Not sure what that’s about. And Salah, I really wish we’d try something different with him. Feel like teams are content to just put two guys on him, grab his shirt and take their chances on fouls. And when you get a ref like Mariner it works. He was still able to contribute but it’s becoming hard for him to be very have the ball with any time or space. Hendo’s injury not ideal given the question marks surrounding our midfield and I doubt anyone is coming in. Elliott does look promising though as does Fabio. Games like this are more satisfying than the 9-0.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #720: Sep 01, 2022 01:25:19 am
      And Salah, I really wish we’d try something different with him. Feel like teams are content to just put two guys on him, grab his shirt and take their chances on fouls. And when you get a ref like Mariner it works. He was still able to contribute but it’s becoming hard for him to be very have the ball with any time or space.

I think this is where Jota and/or Nunez can help.  An attacker who is more willing to threaten the space behind the CB's will require more attention from low block teams, which should allow Mo more opportunities to get 1v1, cut inside and combine.  I think we could see us shift to a 4-2-3-1 with either Bobby / Elliot / Carvalho playing in that #10 spot. 
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #721: Sep 01, 2022 01:52:28 am
      who does he drop for Darwin. Again after the game reflection on Mo's performance is he was involved in both goals and his pass for Bobby was just sublime. Having a fit Bobby is a definite bonus

Drop Bobby for a match is not a problem. Played 2 matches this week. I'd give Darwin the start this weekend. And remember away at Napoli will not be easy.  Good to have 2 options at CF
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #722: Sep 01, 2022 01:58:10 am
      I would argue this is what we needed...much more than the 9-0. Those are 3 points that required guts, determination, and willingness to bang away at it until it worked. I could type a whole lot of stuff about things I didn't like in our game, but honestly, that's the type of game I think gives you self belief and a feeling that, as a team, we will pull through adversity and get the points. It was a spirit building game and so I'll choose to just look at the positive, which outweighs the negatives for me, today.

On another note, something has to be done about the time waisting. It is, quite frankly, becoming ridiculous. What is the use of stoppage time if systematically, teams manage to waste much more than what the officials are allowed and willing to give at the end of the game AND anyway they can also waste the stoppage time as well. Something has to be done, especially with the goalkeepers, its getting to a point where you can waste about 30 seconds on each goal kick. I would argue that the yellows need to be shown early in the game for the keepers, but its not like we are seeing them late in the game either. Also, as a team, I think we should simply stop putting the ball out whenever we know that the other team is shithousing. Do this for a few games and preferably score from a situation or two of those and I'd be willing to bet we'll suddenly see a lot less of that crap being used against us. 
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #723: Sep 01, 2022 01:59:42 am
      DOn't think Jürgen will do that I think maybe Darwin will start on the bench otherwise the blushite will be all over him like a rash trying to get him sent off

I don't think Darwin will do what he did for the Red ever again.  Lesson learned, and Im sure Klopp mentioned it to him a few times ;D.   Bobby was solid today  but it would be his 3rd game this week , so

Start him  Blueshit can't stop him
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #724: Sep 01, 2022 02:55:55 am
      That end goal was special no doubt, hardly ever see a goal scored like that, can't recall many or any.
       But man even with the 9 nil and this I don't know, we look so vulnerable at the back and teams can slice us in half just by us simply having an attack now. All this conceding first thing needs to go. Still not too confident about us winning things this season Champions league maybe yep, I'll take that. heh
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #725: Sep 01, 2022 03:00:41 am
      Oh yeah Eddie howe, howe did the time wasting work out? Not too well ey you pleb and your team won't win anything. Peh man that pissed me off so much.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 745 
      Reply #726: Sep 01, 2022 04:12:51 am
      look at nunez ;D

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #727: Sep 01, 2022 06:04:44 am
      First half I thought we were sh*te and let frustration get the better of us. Some very sloppy passes and several players were miles off it.

Newcastle’s time wasting was ridiculous, along with the referee too. Came to spoil the game from the first minute and the 55,000 fans who paid good money to get in the ground watched grown men roll around on the floor more than they did play football. Embarrassing.

Second half we were a lot better without being particularly great, but what a way to win the game, especially after Newcastle’s antics. F***ing stupid geordie dick heads.

Took my lad last night and it was the first time he had seen a last minute winner, needless to say he was absolutely buzzing and that’s a memory we will share forever.

Harvey Elliott motm by a mile. Has to be first name on the team sheet currently.

Lost a lot of respect for eddie howe and newcastle after that tonight. I realise 99% of teams can’t go toe to toe with us or they’ll get battered but there was still no need for how bad that was, it’s blatantly cheating. They’ve got a decent side there and they played good stuff at times. Maybe if they focused more on trying to win the game instead of how to ruin it the they might have got something.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #728: Sep 01, 2022 06:30:04 am
      I gave Motm to Firmino because I am not his fan but played very well. Elliott was massive too.

Milner as sub is massive too.

Carvalho's goal wow.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #729: Sep 01, 2022 07:17:21 am
      95 mins the intended finish... but 97:07 when the goal was scored.

The "Fergie time" outrage amongst our rivals is greatly exaggerated. It's not that unusual to see an extra minute of additional time for some reason or another. We got one additional minute on top of that due to all their extreme time wasting*. Simple.

*plus we were attacking from a corner

If Pope didn't fake that injury in stoppage time the game probably wouldn't have got to the point we scored.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,656 posts | 3923 
      Reply #730: Sep 01, 2022 09:05:05 am
      Ali: No fault today. Had a very dodgy defence in front of him in that first half. Did well to not catch whatever was on them. 7/10

Robbo. Quiet day, slightly off but not totally off. More like suspiciously / slightly sour milk. 5/10

VVD -  Pulled it back with a more assertive display in the second half. Can't excuse him for the first half where he was out jumped and out fought by Isak. Skew whiff. 6/10

Gomez - Decent moments and bad moments. In fairness he wasn't helped by a fairly horrendous display by Trent. Got comfier when Trent went off. 6/10

Trent - Oh dear. Put us right in it with a shockingly bad attempt at a cross field ball that just stunk of laziness more than anything. Put us in trouble on the counter attack and even his wand of a right foot is rotten. If Robbo was slightly sour milk on the other side, Trent was the full lumpy, turning green cheese event of off milk that clogs up your drains. 2/10

Hendo: Not good. Slowed our play, offered little vision and any attempt to do something creative fizzled out. Went sideways and backwards much to the delight of Newcastle. 4/10

Fabinho: Started the game well and looked our most creative player early doors. But then got caught up in Newcastle's antics and looked more and more frustrated. 5/10

Elliott: Best player of the full 90. Buzzed around like a bee looking the most likely to do something. Ascended to greater heights in the first half. 7.5/10

Salah: Pound for pound (which at 350k) , probably the worst on the field. Couldn't do anything right. Newcastle full back must have had the easiest pay day of his life. Simply put, that's not what we pay 350k a week for and he's going to have to get his finger out sooner rather than later. Shockingly bad and you'd be tempted to drop him entirely from the first eleven. Gets a two just for staying on the field and doing a bit of running. 2/10

Firmino: 7.5/10. Could have been higher if he received the ball quicker but did his job, got the equaliser and

Diaz: 6/10. Great running and effort once again. But again, needs to be more clinical up top assists wise. Couple of early chances for an assist that were squandered.

Milner: 6/10. Usually brand of leadership. No nonsense and simple.

Carvalho: 7.5/10. What a star. Should start next game surely? Got on with the job and is direct and quick.

Kostas: 6/10. Decent. Love his pace and directness. A sub that had to happen.

Didn’t Salah get 2 assists?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #731: Sep 01, 2022 09:06:41 am
      Didn’t Salah get 2 assists?

yes he did.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #732: Sep 01, 2022 09:08:12 am
      Worth noting that Henderson, Robbo and Trent had all been substituted off before we got the winner.

Henderson was at fault for their goal, Robbo and Trent delivered a succession of poor corners and diagonal passes.

Hendo was injured, Hamstring.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,656 posts | 3923 
      Reply #733: Sep 01, 2022 09:17:50 am

He wasn’t great to be fair, his form has dipped. Just so passive and he’s bringing back the Hendo floating special which kills our game
      Scottbot

• 9,618 posts | 2159 
      Reply #734: Sep 01, 2022 09:21:44 am

That's a bit tough on Hendo mate, there was an element of fortune because he stretches and gets a foot to the first ball which puts him out of position for the ball that plays Isak in for the goal.
      Scottbot

• 9,618 posts | 2159 
      Reply #735: Sep 01, 2022 09:22:37 am
      Stull buzzing this morning! I couldn't sleep till half 12 after that last night!

Quick Reply