Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leeds?

Alisson Becker
      10 (16.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.7%)
      Andy Robertson
      30 (50.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      3 (5.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      3 (5.1%)
      Darwin NĂșñez
      1 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (10.2%)
      James Milner
      2 (3.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Nov 02, 2022 08:41:09 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19541 times
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Leeds United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Oct 29, 2022 10:50:30 pm
      Christ - people pining for the same players they prob crucified when they were here at the club for not being good enough

Ok we keep Taki and give Origi  new contract but Nunez and Carvahlo don’t arrive 🤷‍♂ -
      How about Taki when he started fitting into the team stayed for back up considering his important goals too like you know back up players are supposed to, and FSG still spend some F***ing money and we don't rely on a crap bench, one player.
       You're saying we need to sell to buy all the time, sod off. The owners are taking us all for mugs, with a great manager at the helm too.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #737: Oct 29, 2022 10:52:48 pm
      there is no shame in this Hendo,Fab and Milner have really put some hard work into the last 4/5 years and now injuries and age has caught up with them.

Fabinho has only just turned 29 so I would expect a few more seasons from him.
      Henderson and Milner though look spent.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #738: Oct 29, 2022 10:52:54 pm
      The midfield doesn’t make

Gomez make a mistake
      VVD to be flat footed
      Nunez , Mo and Bobby to miss glaring chances

It seems to be the go to reason any time we drop points - midfield wasn’t great tonight but wasn’t the reason we lost - it’s getting to be a lazy excuse and allows some players to go under the radar

It does though because the defence are not constantly worried that they are going to face a onslaught of players running through.

As a defender having to constantly think which player to mark or run towards because you are 2 or even 3 v 1 creates uncertainty.

And probably more importantly in the back of your mind you know the players in front of you are not up to it you are starting off on a negative note. No great surprise Virgil said at the start of the season we need some new midfield players!

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #739: Oct 29, 2022 10:53:23 pm
      I'm half with you.  Would help if we had Diaz or Jota on the bench tonight for instance, or even better Diaz in the starting XI.  Firmino's had a good spell but was showing signs of two games in a week tonight.

We've got two options in that 'enforcer' midfielder role, Henderson and Fabinho and they both look done.  Unless there is some sh*t hot kid who fancies a go at it then the only solution is in the transfer market.  Keita/Ox/Thiago/Elliott/Jones - none of them are capable of doing it. 

Yes. Fabinho transformed this team much like didi hamann gave us a base when he signed. Energy, breaking up play, pressing , starting attacks ... a lynchpin.

Its like he's millys age now. Hendersons body is failing him. He can't get about the pitch as he used to. Milly is old ... I'm not getting on him. He's 37 ffs.

Keita, chamberlain and Jones arnt good enough. Fabio and Harvey are kids. Tough to shine in that midfield. Thiago is just unreliable and wasn't on it tonight. Might still be ill ... but at 31/32 he's on borrowed time too.

I'm really worried JĂŒrgen doesn't make the WC. This is serious now. Most of his senior players have their deckchairs out and he's got nothing to sell to raise any spends. He looks disillusioned. With him there and some funds I believe he can turn it round next season ... but I'm worried he won't get that far.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #740: Oct 29, 2022 10:54:08 pm
      Fabinho has only just turned 29 so I would expect a few more seasons from him.
      Henderson and Milner though look spent.

Mate even now Milner I guarantee you will outrun Fabinho.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #741: Oct 29, 2022 10:54:12 pm
      How about Taki when he started fitting into the team stayed for back up considering his important goals too like you know back up players are supposed to, and FSG still spend some f**king money and we don't rely on a crap bench, one player.
       You're saying we need to sell to buy all the time, sod off. The owners are taking us all for mugs, with a great manager at the helm too.

Taki left because he wanted first team football

And how many players do you think the squad can have - even more so non HG ones
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #742: Oct 29, 2022 10:55:17 pm
      Yes. Fabinho transformed this team much like didi hamann gave us a base when he signed. Energy, breaking up play, pressing , starting attacks ... a lynchpin.

Its like he's millys age now. Hendersons body is failing him. He can't get about the pitch as he used to. Milly is old ... I'm not getting on him. He's 37 ffs.

Keita, chamberlain and Jones arnt good enough. Fabio and Harvey are kids. Tough to shine in that midfield. Thiago is just unreliable and wasn't on it tonight. Might still be ill ... but at 31/32 he's on borrowed time too.

I'm really worried JĂŒrgen doesn't make the WC. This is serious now. Most of his senior players have their deckchairs out and he's got nothing to sell to raise any spends. He looks disillusioned. With him there and some funds I believe he can turn it round next season ... but I'm worried he won't get that far.

I share that concern. I hope klopp has enough credit to at least get another 18 months with funds.
      Who else is available right now?

It would be a massive gamble by fsg
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #743: Oct 29, 2022 10:56:24 pm
      I am off for tonight I will be having nightmare but I will leave you with this and ask yourself how this team compares.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HldRlTZj_g
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #744: Oct 29, 2022 10:56:24 pm
      It does though because the defence are not constantly worried that they are going to face a onslaught of players running through.

As a defender having to constantly think which player to mark or run towards because you are 2 or even 3 v 1 creates uncertainty.

And probably more importantly in the back of your mind you know the players in front of you are not up to it you are starting off on a negative note. No great surprise Virgil said at the start of the season we need some new midfield players!

The midfield didn’t cause Gomez to play that ball or for VVD to stand off the attacker the way he did. Both were poor stand alone player mistakes
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #745: Oct 29, 2022 10:56:38 pm
      Mate even now Milner I guarantee you will outrun Fabinho.

But why? I think Fabinho still has more to give. Maybe he just needs a good summer to rejuvenate ?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,052 posts | 2728 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #746: Oct 29, 2022 10:57:36 pm
      The midfield doesn’t make

Gomez make a mistake
      VVD to be flat footed
      Nunez , Mo and Bobby to miss glaring chances

It seems to be the go to reason any time we drop points - midfield wasn’t great tonight but wasn’t the reason we lost - it’s getting to be a lazy excuse and allows some players to go under the radar

That very true it isn’t the midfields fault, it’s a combination of things as you basically  point out. However, out of the combinations it’s still your biggest problem in going forward.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #747: Oct 29, 2022 10:57:50 pm
      But why? I think Fabinho still has more to give. Maybe he just needs a good summer to rejuvenate ?

Didn't he just have a summer off? Or did he play a tournament. I've no idea. Switch off from footy in the summer
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #748: Oct 29, 2022 10:58:08 pm
      The midfield didn’t cause Gomez to play that ball or for VVD to stand off the attacker the way he did. Both were poor stand alone player mistakes

Gomez I give you but for the final goal how did the Leeds player get through so easily?

rossyred

• 9,297 posts | 1666 
      Reply #749: Oct 29, 2022 10:58:36 pm
      Pining for attackers mate. Taki is better than what options we had tonight as is origi. Those 2 lads contributed more here than Jones keita and Chamberlain ever will.

As for gini .... complete folly not bringing him back ... cut off nose job. Would have fitted back in perfectly and done the job. As it was we got melo instead. Happy f*cking days

You are guessing re Gini clearly struggled since he left . As for Taki and Origi we have two lads out long term so if we had kept them two they would have been 6th and 7th choice which I would imagine they wouldn't be too pleased about
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #750: Oct 29, 2022 10:58:40 pm
      I share that concern. I hope klopp has enough credit to at least get another 18 months with funds.
      Who else is available right now?

It would be a massive gamble by fsg

FSG would not dare touch him not if they know what is good for them remember we had agents visit Gillette and Hicks at their offices we have agents all over the world and they will act when needed just to remind them who really have the power in this club.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #751: Oct 29, 2022 10:58:55 pm
      That very true it isn’t the midfields fault, it’s a combination of things as you basically  point out. However, out of the combinations it’s still your biggest problem in going forward.

Yes it still needs addressing along with other issues but it doesn’t excuse top quality players playing poorly
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #752: Oct 29, 2022 10:59:41 pm
      Gomez I give you but for the final goal how did the Leeds player get through so easily?

Even JĂŒrgen said ALi slipped even Ali put his hand up to it.
      rossyred

• 9,297 posts | 1666 
      Reply #753: Oct 29, 2022 11:00:04 pm

Ali thinks he should have saved it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #754: Oct 29, 2022 11:00:06 pm

VVD just stood off him giving him all the space in the world , he should have been right on him
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #755: Oct 29, 2022 11:00:13 pm
      As bad as it is, I don’t think anyone clearly knows what the problem is, and even more so what the solution is.

How on earth can the players put in a shift like the one v city, and thereafter like tonight.

Injuries are a problem, but attitude and effort are a bigger one.
      We also have instances where players are going alone when a simple pass is an assist and a nailed on tap in.

Silly individual mistakes and wrong decisions are costing us dearly.

And when we do look like we are struggling and need a goal. Take Trent off and put Millie on !  I’m sorry, I just don’t see the sense in that.
      Theres a lot of problems going on at the mo. It’s not just a case of throwing lots of money at it.  We need to know what the individual players are feeling about the situation, why, snd how do we correct it 🤷‍♂
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #756: Oct 29, 2022 11:00:22 pm

Midfields control games. They dictate the tempo. It’s the engine room.
      Gomez has always made mistakes.
      VVD may be showing his age now with the injuries he had and also the World Cup might be on his mind as the last tournament was taken away from him?
      But our midfield problems spread throughout the team like covid in on a cruise ship.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #757: Oct 29, 2022 11:01:14 pm

He has always been slow but when we had Hendo and Gini and we pressed teams to death all he really had to do was mop up balls that the oppositions were trying to clear up field.

But now without those powerful runners next to him but the likes of Elliot he is being stretched across the width of the pitch and you can see his limitations in such a set up.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #758: Oct 29, 2022 11:01:15 pm
      You are guessing re Gini clearly struggled since he left . As for Taki and Origi we have two lads out long term so if we had kept them two they would have been 6th and 7th choice which I would imagine they wouldn't be too pleased about

Don’t think we would have had enough non HG spots but they would have been a long way down the pecking order

Quick Reply