Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 32004 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,247 posts | 1113 
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #253: Jan 13, 2024 02:56:37 am
      Most under appreciated player on our team, at least until Gomez has a mediocre game....
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #254: Jan 13, 2024 01:53:50 pm
      Most under appreciated player on our team, at least until Gomez has a mediocre game....
      Yup he's flying under the radar.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #255: Jan 16, 2024 03:25:37 pm

Very much so. 2 good feet. Good finisher. Intelligent both with and without the ball , links the attack well from that false 9 which allows the wide players to get into dangerous positions and the full backs push up into that space.

Part of our best 3 up top in-between salah and Jota imo. He will only get better too.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #256: Jan 25, 2024 09:06:30 am
      Not sure if it's my bias to Darwin but I always feel like there is quite a bit of a downgrade when Cody is on the pitch and Darwin isn't. I feel Cody takes too long on the ball before deciding anything and is also always focused on trying to score himself instead of setting up a team mate. Then again it could just be my bias towards Darwin.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #257: Jan 25, 2024 09:09:12 am
      Not sure if it's my bias to Darwin but I always feel like there is quite a bit of a downgrade when Cody is on the pitch and Darwin isn't. I feel Cody takes too long on the ball before deciding anything and is also always focused on trying to score himself instead of setting up a team mate. Then again it could just be my bias towards Darwin.

Can see how you feel that way but I think it's more due to the fact they're are totally different footballers.

Almost complete opposites.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,731 posts | 3946 
      Reply #258: Jan 25, 2024 09:11:22 am
      I think Gakpo is a proper tidy player with a superb finish on him. A run of games and I could see him scoring on the regular!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      Reply #259: Jan 25, 2024 09:14:29 am
      Can see how you feel that way but I think it's more due to the fact they're are totally different footballers.

Almost complete opposites.

Yeah you are probably right, just feel he slows our attacks down, think my preferred three now is Darwin Jota Salah.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #260: Jan 25, 2024 09:16:53 am
      Think Cody can also play the false 9.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      Reply #261: Jan 25, 2024 09:20:23 am
      Think Cody can also play the false 9.

He can for sure but is there a need for it at the minute when our team is fully fit. Salah seems to have adopted a new approach and is not making runs in behind, Diaz doesn't either, the only player who looks to get in behind is Darwin, I think the team is attacking in a different way now which doesn't require the false 9.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #262: Feb 19, 2024 03:20:42 pm
      Glad to see him score. I think he has an unbelievably high potential ceiling. I just hope he can get there. Will be hard being a squad option atm but maybe under the new manager he could flourish in a formation that plays with more narrow attackers. (2x10's and a 9 under Xabi for instance) 
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 227 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #263: Feb 19, 2024 03:38:54 pm
      Good versatile player who can play anywhere across the front line but hopefully we've seen the last of him in midfield.

Prefer him on the flanks and he tends to be more involved in games out wide, looks a little lost when playing centrally and he generally averages a very low number of touches.

The goals he's getting in the cups are handy, wanna see deliver the same in the league and I wanna see more creative impetus.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #264: Mar 02, 2024 08:30:54 am
      We expect Cody to start today as striker? Who else?
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #265: Mar 02, 2024 06:13:31 pm
      This boy seems shot confidence wise. I'd play him in Prague to try and get it back. We need all of them.
      rossyred

• 9,316 posts | 1672 
      Reply #266: Mar 02, 2024 06:45:28 pm
      This boy seems shot confidence wise. I'd play him in Prague to try and get it back. We need all of them.

Problem.with him and others in front line today all they want to do is come.to the ball has zero pace to go over top which is why Nunez is No 1 every time . He is actually better deeper on half turn and having space to carry ball forward
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,064 posts | 547 
      Reply #267: Mar 02, 2024 07:06:08 pm
      Didn't see the game but sounds like he is still struggling a bit. Think it is just a form thing. He's done alright since he joined us. Good on the half turn as rossy said. Deceptively strong when carrying the ball, rides tackles and generally puts in a good shift.

He's a pretty good finisher as well, just needs to get into the danger areas a bit more. He's probably pretty knackered as well, played a lot recently with everybody out.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #268: Mar 02, 2024 07:25:01 pm
      Didn't have a good game today. Main problem, in my opinion, was his decision making. He's not fast, but he's a player who has no problem creating space for himself because takes big strides with the ball at his feet and he also is very good at receiving the ball and swivelling with while keeping the defender at his back. The problem today is that every time he got the ball at the edge of the box or in it he made the wrong call (most prominent one was in the first half when he tried to square back the ball to Elliott when he all he had to do was take the shot).

Not very worried about this tho. He gets himself in situations where he can score and that means its only a question of time before it clicks. I'd much rather that than him being out injured with the rest of our team.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 227 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #269: Mar 02, 2024 09:49:07 pm
      He's just not very good I'm afraid to say, doesn't really have a spot in the team he can call his own. Looks lost playing the CF position, probably prefer him on the left. Pops up with the odd goal which is fine but he's never pushing for a first place spot when everyone is fit.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,247 posts | 1113 
      Reply #270: Mar 03, 2024 04:09:16 am
      I'm a Cody fan, and I do think this is just a blip on form. With that said, I think Cody is a bit of a tweener and is dependent on who he plays with. He's not fast, but he is smart. He seems productive when he plays with our best players, but he isn't going to put a team on his back. I like Cody coming off the bench. Like Elliot, it seems to accommodate his physical tools and skill set.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #271: Mar 03, 2024 06:45:05 am
      Gappers is knackered, that's all. Played a lot of footi recently
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 849 posts | 303 
      Reply #272: Mar 03, 2024 11:14:57 am
      I think Cody and Diaz are players who primarily create chances for others and help the team, neither are likely to score lots of goals. They have an important place in the team/squad, similar to Bobby Firmino. Mo and Jota have been our best goal scorers in recent years, maybe contributing a bit less to the team. It's unfortunate that in the last few weeks those players have been missing at the same time so we have retained possession, played well but struggled to score.

Nunez, I think, is developing into a forward that can do everything, create for others, help the team and score a lot of goals. That is why he was worth all that money.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #273: Mar 03, 2024 11:50:53 am
      Decent squad player at best
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,899 posts | 6826 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #274: Mar 04, 2024 01:12:55 am
      Gappers is knackered, that's all. Played a lot of footi recently

Yep he needs a break.

Just seems to be trying too hard but drifts in and out of games instead of making his presence felt.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #275: Mar 04, 2024 09:56:32 am
      Yep he needs a break.

Just seems to be trying too hard but drifts in and out of games instead of making his presence felt.

Himself and Diaz have been working Thier bollox off since Jota, Nunez and Salah have been injured .

Quick Reply