Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (12.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      9 (12.9%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      18 (25.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      25 (35.7%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (10%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.4%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: Feb 25, 2023 09:55:13 pm

Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22167 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,756 posts | 863 
      Re: Liverpool 2-5 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Feb 21, 2023 10:55:47 pm
      Well that’s the big calls that Klopp and recruitment team have to make

He could just as easily come back next season and be imperious again

Konate might be a bigger miss at the moment but I guess there is a reason why the club are apparently looking at Gvardiol
      I'd take Gvardiol in a heartbeat. One of Matip or Gomez have to go and the former's contract is running out summer 2024 anyway. We might as well just get as much cash as we can on him this summer and send him back to the Bundesliga to retire there and keep Gomez as a rotation option. The truth is both can't be trusted to start. One is simply proving one time after the other that he isn't good enough and the other is good enough when paired with VVD, but will spend most of the season injured.

I wouldn't even be against the option of both players being shipped out if both will be replaced with quality, but realistically speaking I think we can only move one at a time.

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,618 posts | 1111 
      Reply #737: Feb 21, 2023 10:56:06 pm
      Grim that! 2-0 up and we literally started playing at their pace, once Madrid got the first they then controlled the game and battered us.

In a nutshell mate.

We just stopped playing ... stood off and gave them gifts. And totally collapsed.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #738: Feb 21, 2023 10:58:10 pm
      I'd take Gvardiol in a heartbeat. One of Matip or Gomez have to go and the former's contract is running out summer 2024 anyway. We might as well just get as much cash as we can on him this summer and send him back to the Bundesliga to retire there and keep Gomez as a rotation option. The truth is both can't be trusted to start. One is simply proving one time after the other that he isn't good enough and the other is good enough when paired with VVD, but will spend most of the season injured.

I wouldn't even be against the option of both players being shipped out if both will be replaced with quality, but realistically speaking I think we can only move one at a time.

I haven’t seen enough of him to make any judgement but he does seem highly rated

Matip is a strange one because he was superb last season
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,414 posts | 800 
      Reply #739: Feb 21, 2023 10:59:12 pm
      Numb
      Harrisimo

• 8,365 posts | 1414 
      Reply #740: Feb 21, 2023 10:59:58 pm
      Poor by Ali, can't try and pass it past the player, has to go right or left, but he's saved us numerous times. And TBH that goal annoyed me more than the others.

3nd...Yes it was a poor challenge by Gomez, just barged him over. For the header they were all in a line, flat footed, not moving or covering. It was bad organisation.

The 4th was a deflection. The 5th was desperation.

Positives..we kept it down to 5...

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,414 posts | 800 
      Reply #741: Feb 21, 2023 11:03:33 pm
      There's getting beat...and there's getting BEAT. I can't understand how 2 up after 14 can end up 2-5....That should just never ever happen
      CT_LFC

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #742: Feb 21, 2023 11:04:13 pm
      Wow steady on with that £20 mill budget you’ll cause a fckin riot , 😉😉

If Jürgen gets in the players he wants, why does it trigger you so much if we're able to make most of it back by selling the players we all want gone?
      « Last Edit: Feb 21, 2023 11:33:34 pm by CT_LFC »
      Harrisimo

• 8,365 posts | 1414 
      Reply #743: Feb 21, 2023 11:08:22 pm
      There's getting beat...and there's getting BEAT. I can't understand how 2 up after 14 can end up 2-5....That should just never ever happen

Sorry to say this mate...but I think your in shock...lie down...deep breathing..just relax..now just stay clam...have a cold cup of tea..then get some bo-bo's...

.....any time mucker..

No charge.
      paulow63
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 682 posts | 90 
      Reply #744: Feb 21, 2023 11:08:35 pm
      One thing I've learnt this season is that there is a big difference between a good player and an ageing good player. Unfortunately we've got six or seven of them.

Always shot down Souness for changing the 1991 team so quickly by getting rid of McMahon, Houghton, Beardsley and the likes all at once. He was most probably right but his recruitment wasn't.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,495 posts | 232 
      Reply #745: Feb 21, 2023 11:12:13 pm
      One thing I've learnt this season is that there is a big difference between a good player and an ageing good player. Unfortunately we've got six or seven of them.

Always shot down Souness for changing the 1991 team so quickly by getting rid of McMahon, Houghton, Beardsley and the likes all at once. He was most probably right but his recruitment wasn't.

Madrid have done this part very well. Saw Kroos, Modric and Casimero get older and buy two young energetic stars and bed in Valverde. Its a remarkable piece of forward planning, and where we urgently need to take steps now.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,603 posts | 392 
      Reply #746: Feb 21, 2023 11:15:19 pm

Luka Modric is 37. absolutely mental that he can still play like he does.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,624 posts | 7145 
      Reply #747: Feb 21, 2023 11:17:31 pm
      Jürgen has said many times now about conceding goals defensively "that Can't happen" and again tonight he said it again but what does that mean when it keeps happening. He didnt seem at all angry just somewhat resigned to these mistakes costing the team massively. Hendo and Fab have been in some big fights but now they look punch drunk playing on memory.
      We are being destroyed by the pundits and the media even Carragher is still saying we are a shambles in defense and that Midfield offer no cover. So good luck if people think this is fixable because it isnt but after giving us so much we are 8th in the EPl and have just been beaten 5-2 at home recently beaten by Wolves and Brighton . A reality check is needed and a bit of honesty about where we are

Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 156 
      Reply #748: Feb 21, 2023 11:18:18 pm
      I haven’t seen enough of him to make any judgement but he does seem highly rated

We are not signing Gvardiol please don't do that to yourself. Gvardiol is 100 million alone.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 156 
      Reply #749: Feb 21, 2023 11:19:58 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #750: Feb 21, 2023 11:20:56 pm
      Totally collapsed in the second half, need a massive rebuild in the summer. FSG or whoever simply spend on the right players, or we are f**ked !
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,756 posts | 863 
      Reply #751: Feb 21, 2023 11:23:11 pm

The problem with Matip isn't his football. Its his injuries. Every time he is fit long enough to make a sizeable run in the starting 11 alongside VVD the results are undeniable (great pairing). The reason he looked so good last year was that he was actually on the pitch. Only problem is that last season seems to be the exception and not the rule in terms of his fitness.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,624 posts | 7145 
      Reply #752: Feb 21, 2023 11:24:02 pm
      Totally collapsed in the second half, need a massive rebuild in the summer. FSG or whoever simply spend on the right players, or we are f**ked !

there is no reason to believe we will be going out and be buying 4 or 5 quality players and with little to sell I cant see us bringing in a lot from transfer of players . If we can get top four then great it may help attract players but if not better out of European competition and just work on the league.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,756 posts | 863 
      Reply #753: Feb 21, 2023 11:24:22 pm
      No need to post this here. We all know this is happening, that its the usual transfer speculation crap and pretty much 95% of the people posting on here know not to go looking for that type of tweet.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,197 posts | 3477 
      Reply #754: Feb 21, 2023 11:25:36 pm
      We are not signing Gvardiol please don't do that to yourself. Gvardiol is 100 million alone.

Take a week off
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 156 
      Reply #755: Feb 21, 2023 11:30:01 pm

Nice argument here you have. If you want to believe that the FSG are going to sign a defender who's worth 100 million+ Bellingham that is fine by me.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,414 posts | 800 
      Reply #756: Feb 21, 2023 11:30:53 pm
      Sorry to say this mate...but I think your in shock...lie down...deep breathing..just relax..now just stay clam...have a cold cup of tea..then get some bo-bo's...

.....any time mucker..

No charge.
      Channeling your inner zen. I'll get my head down!!!!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,236 posts | 1224 
      Reply #757: Feb 21, 2023 11:39:22 pm
      Madrid have done this part very well. Saw Kroos, Modric and Casimero get older and buy two young energetic stars and bed in Valverde. Its a remarkable piece of forward planning, and where we urgently need to take steps now.

Is a fair point. The way we have played under Klopp also demands greater forward planning in midfield, such are the demands in that area of the pitch.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #758: Feb 21, 2023 11:40:13 pm
      Mad that, wasn't it?

FSG OUT 😊

Quick Reply