Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Alexis "Kevin" Mac Allister (Brighton)

Read 23384 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Alexis "Kevin" Mac Allister (Brighton)
      Reply #230: Jun 06, 2023 05:33:23 pm
      Just seems a strange buy to me.

Thiago has to start when fit. Heā€™s our best midfielder by a country mile.

Thiago is neither a 6 or a 8, heā€™s somewhere in-between. But weā€™ve seen, at times, poor performances from Thiago because he requires legs alongside him to get the best from him.

People comparing Mac to Gini havenā€™t seen him play. Mac has more of a similar playing style to Thiago. Mac is neither an 8 or a 10 heā€™s also somewhere in-between.

But playing Mac and Thiago in the same team would be a car crash. Well, in certain fixtures at least. Would be great to see in games where we dominate the ball in fairness.

Thiago is a better footballer than MacAllister no question about it, so if JĆ¼rgen takes Thiago out because heā€™s unreliable with his fitness, and plays Mac alongside Hendo and Fab then we arenā€™t any stronger. Weā€™re actually weaker in my opinion.

Will be an interesting few weeks. Maybe Thiago is going?  But to get the best out of Mac itā€™s a very similar situation to Thiago, we need an engine alongside him, or we have to change our formation/style of play.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6422 
      Reply #231: Jun 06, 2023 05:53:39 pm

Thiago is neither a 6 or a 8, heā€™s somewhere in-between. But weā€™ve seen, at times, poor performances from Thiago because he requires legs alongside him to get the best from him.

People comparing Mac to Gini havenā€™t seen him play. Mac has more of a similar playing style to Thiago. Mac is neither an 8 or a 10 heā€™s also somewhere in-between.

But playing Mac and Thiago in the same team would be a car crash. Well, in certain fixtures at least. Would be great to see in games where we dominate the ball in fairness.

Thiago is a better footballer than MacAllister no question about it, so if JĆ¼rgen takes Thiago out because heā€™s unreliable with his fitness, and plays Mac alongside Hendo and Fab then we arenā€™t any stronger. Weā€™re actually weaker in my opinion.

Will be an interesting few weeks. Maybe Thiago is going?  But to get the best out of Mac itā€™s a very similar situation to Thiago, we need an engine alongside him, or we have to change our formation/style of play.

I think Klopp sees the writing on the wall with Thiago...like you say when fit he's awesome, but how often will he be fit? I'd say Mac Allister is going to play when Thiago doesn't for sure (which could be a lot). Trent will also play midfield and probably another DM to spell/challenge Fab. No Ox, no Keita, no Milner, Hendo is getting older, Thiago isn't really fit for every game, Fab could be headed downhill. So Mac Allister, Trent, Elliott, Bajetic, Jones and probably another DM (at least) is where we are going to be for the midfield going forward as for our starters. That's my guess anyway.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,109 posts | 2129 
      Reply #232: Jun 06, 2023 06:15:04 pm

A strange buy? How on earth is it a strange buy when half the midfield is being shipped out this summer?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #233: Jun 06, 2023 06:22:31 pm
      To me it makes sense. He can play deep and behind strikers. His age and he works hard, both offensively and defensively. His price tag is alot less then 100 and i think that means we can get another midfielder in.

We could have gotten jude for 120 million and it wouldnt have solved our midfield issues, since one midfielder isnt enough to fix the problems we have had this season. We haven't signed him yet, but him and atleast one another good midfielder ready for first team will go a long way for us.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 1111 
      Reply #234: Jun 06, 2023 06:34:34 pm
      No way Thiago starts over Mac. Not on the reg.  Thiago is class,  but Thiago doesn't give you much of the ball.  Mac gives you a shot ton of it. 
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #235: Jun 06, 2023 06:41:41 pm
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 848 posts | 303 
      Reply #236: Jun 06, 2023 06:42:26 pm
      Iā€™m confused 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø many of you lot state hes never been the same since Pickford. If thatā€™s the case why would every man and his dog take him. 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø Some of your post just donā€™t make any sense at all.

Pre Pickford assault he was probably the best CB in the world, I don't think there are many people who would dispute that.
      Since he's returned from the injury he's no longer the best CB, he's slower and less confident. Attacking players now have more belief that they can beat him.

There are other factors to, tiredness and loss of form after 21-22 season, maybe WC had a bigger impact on him than most players as he missed the EC due to injury. But he's not finished, as some have claimed. He's probably still our best CB and would walk into most team's starting 11. We need to give him time to regain his form and fitness.

And, back on topic, I like this McAllister.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #237: Jun 06, 2023 06:57:25 pm

A midfielder that contributes goals when weā€™ve just shipped out Milner, Ox and Keita. Whatā€™s strange about it?
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #238: Jun 06, 2023 07:01:59 pm

The price is strange. Ā£45-55m payment is way below the Ā£70m first mooted by the Argentine press. But then again the release clause is pre-world cup pricing. Strangely low price.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,241 posts | 3495 
      Reply #239: Jun 06, 2023 07:04:21 pm
      A midfielder that contributes goals when weā€™ve just shipped out Milner, Ox and Keita. Whatā€™s strange about it?

The take that he is a strange buy is puzzling
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #240: Jun 06, 2023 07:04:44 pm
      Strange type of buy for the midfielders we already have at the club. Just wrote a lengthy message for people to quote the first line when it was thoroughly explained.

If Thiago is being edged out and we bring in other midfielders with different attributes it makes perfect sense. If not, itā€™s absolutely bizarre.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,262 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #241: Jun 06, 2023 07:06:52 pm
      Pre Pickford assault he was probably the best CB in the world,

Id go one step further, i think he was the best CB  in the world pre Pickford..
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #242: Jun 06, 2023 07:14:05 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many did those three players you named bag between them this season?

We scored, was it 75 in the league this season? That was without jota and diaz for long parts, an inconsistent Nunez, salah not being as lethal as he was, Trent and Robbo no longer offering the type of service they once did and a worn out midfield who were feeling the effects from the previous season.

Goals wasnā€™t a problem and even at our absolute best under JĆ¼rgen how many goals did our midfield actually  contribute towards? Not many.

But for the record Iā€™m not against Macallister. Itā€™s why I never bother with this forum because you say something and the same people jump on it as always (not you). But I donā€™t think heā€™s this amazing zidane like player some are making out to be and I donā€™t think heā€™s the type of player we should be bringing in, unless like I said, others are following and there is a complete overhaul.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #243: Jun 06, 2023 07:17:55 pm
      I think Klopp sees the writing on the wall with Thiago...like you say when fit he's awesome, but how often will he be fit? I'd say Mac Allister is going to play when Thiago doesn't for sure (which could be a lot). Trent will also play midfield and probably another DM to spell/challenge Fab. No Ox, no Keita, no Milner, Hendo is getting older, Thiago isn't really fit for every game, Fab could be headed downhill. So Mac Allister, Trent, Elliott, Bajetic, Jones and probably another DM (at least) is where we are going to be for the midfield going forward as for our starters. That's my guess anyway.

If Thiago goes then it makes much more sense. I know heā€™s unreliable but Thiago starts for me whenever heā€™s fit. But Thiago and Macallister in the same midfield wouldnā€™t work.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #244: Jun 06, 2023 07:19:33 pm
      Heā€™s nothing like Gini.

Iā€™m clueless? What weā€™ve lacked this season is energy. Unless we bring in other players who compliment MacAllister then he is not what we need, at all. A midfield of Henderson  Fabinho and Macallister doesnā€™t improve us you whopper.

Surprised youā€™re in here and not the FSG thread.

I donā€™t want either, unless we bring in other players who compliment them.

But for what itā€™s worth, I think Macallister is the better footballer but strangely think Mount suits us better (currently) and is more of a klopp player.

I also think Macallister would suit your lot more over Mount too.

Blow it out of your arse!
      F***ing eejit.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #245: Jun 06, 2023 07:24:53 pm
      Blow it out of your arse!
      F***ing eejit.

Strange bloke you mate. Gave the owners praise for this signing then or?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,109 posts | 2129 
      Reply #246: Jun 06, 2023 07:39:04 pm
      Strange type of buy for the midfielders we already have at the club. Just wrote a lengthy message for people to quote the first line when it was thoroughly explained.

If Thiago is being edged out and we bring in other midfielders with different attributes it makes perfect sense. If not, itā€™s absolutely bizarre.

But you explained it with some spiel about Thiago being better than Mac Allister.

It's a hot take given how poor Thiago was when he played this season but even poorer because it doesn't answer why such a buy is strange when we:re getting rid of half our midfield.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #247: Jun 06, 2023 07:45:55 pm
      But you explained it with some spiel about Thiago being better than Mac Allister.

It's a hot take given how poor Thiago was when he played this season but even poorer because it doesn't answer why such a buy is strange when we:re getting rid of half our midfield.

It was explained.

Itā€™s obvious to anyone who watches us that heā€™s our best midfielder. But we ask him to run around like a dog because Fabinho and Henderson were mostly dire so on occasion, he was sometimes poor. If you put runners alongside him and gave him more freedom you would see a totally different player though.

And itā€™s exactly the same situation with Mac.

If the season started tomorrow do you think we would challenge for silverware with a midfield of Henderson Fabinho and Mac?  Because that midfield isnā€™t any better than the one weā€™ve seen this season. Itā€™s actually worse.

So as Iā€™ve said a few times already, right now it doesnā€™t make any sense to me. But if we bring in at least two more then it might do.

Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #248: Jun 06, 2023 07:56:07 pm
      I think Thiago will be on his way. This signing and Trentā€™s successful switch to midfield will see to that. There are similarities between Mac and Thiago but this fella will chip in with a few more goals. Trent actually gives us the passing range and guile that we miss when Thiago is not in the side.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #249: Jun 06, 2023 08:05:16 pm
      Strange bloke you mate. Gave the owners praise for this signing then or?

Read the posts nobhead!
      There is mention of LFC scouts, agents and JĆ¼rgen Klopp to be credited for the signing; JWH and Co in Boston USA havenā€™t got a F***ing clue!
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 848 posts | 303 
      Reply #250: Jun 06, 2023 08:07:38 pm
      If Thiago goes then it makes much more sense. I know heā€™s unreliable but Thiago starts for me whenever heā€™s fit. But Thiago and Macallister in the same midfield wouldnā€™t work.

Thiago probably does not go this summer but has only 1 year left on his contract. If he is fit for the next season and plays 50 games then he deserves a 1-2 season extension but it's most likely that he leaves next summer when his contract expires.

Maybe Thiago and MacAllister will not play a lot of games together but MacAllister might need a bit of time to adapt to our style of play. We are in a transition and we can have both of them for 1 season.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #251: Jun 06, 2023 08:21:28 pm
      Read the posts nobhead!
      There is mention of LFC scouts, agents and JĆ¼rgen Klopp to be credited for the signing; JWH and Co in Boston USA havenā€™t got a f**king clue!

Arenā€™t you about 50? Time to grow up.
      rossyred

• 9,315 posts | 1672 
      Reply #252: Jun 06, 2023 08:23:45 pm
      It was explained.

Itā€™s obvious to anyone who watches us that heā€™s our best midfielder. But we ask him to run around like a dog because Fabinho and Henderson were mostly dire so on occasion, he was sometimes poor. If you put runners alongside him and gave him more freedom you would see a totally different player though.

And itā€™s exactly the same situation with Mac.

If the season started tomorrow do you think we would challenge for silverware with a midfield of Henderson Fabinho and Mac?  Because that midfield isnā€™t any better than the one weā€™ve seen this season. Itā€™s actually worse.

So as Iā€™ve said a few times already, right now it doesnā€™t make any sense to me. But if we bring in at least two more then it might do.

But we are bringing more in isn't that obvious . His skillset will compliment others that is what generally happens

Quick Reply