Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v NUFC?

Alisson Becker
      18 (17.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      4 (3.9%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      1 (1%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1%)
      Darwin Nunez
      74 (72.5%)
      Jarell Quansah
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Voting closed: Aug 31, 2023 06:27:26 pm

Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19842 times
      Gomo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 31 posts | 10 
      Re: Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #805: Aug 27, 2023 08:59:01 pm
      It's fairly normal for klopp new signings to a bit off it before coming good so not worried about endo.

Nunez, robbo, thiago to name a few all started slow.

It's early days but I think  ideally endo would have been 1 of 2 new DMs coming in rather than being the main man that everyone is hoping solves the midfield puzzle.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,763 posts | 7182 
      Reply #806: Aug 27, 2023 09:30:15 pm
      By the way, what an absolutely diabolical refereeing display once again. It's always been of a shockingly low standard in England but it just gets worse. I'd be embarrassed to show face on that display.

9 red cards so far this season for what. They have fu**ed up football with VAR and how can you miss a dangerous shove in the back of Trent and end up giving him a Yellow. it is worrying how much they can affect the league this season with awful displays like today and last week and the Chelsea game
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,437 posts | 1441 
      Reply #807: Aug 27, 2023 09:34:44 pm
      The other issue is the Refs. Was there really any need to show a yellow to Trent. He was WAS pushed over the line by Gordon and just throws the ball from a sitting position. The Ref needs to act like a grown man and show a bit of common sense and give Trent a warning. Other Newcastle players knocked the ball away two or three times. How far does it have to go before a yellow is shown...5 yards ok....7 yards yellow. It's a nonsense and I'm sure they tell Refs you have a "bit of leeway". Just this Ref behaved like a schoolboy.
      Harrisimo

• 8,437 posts | 1441 
      Reply #808: Aug 27, 2023 09:46:12 pm
      Boss said it doesn't guarantee Nunez a place V Villa. Think the boss has this "I'll wind him up..then unleash him" Nunez theory. I hope not as being super-sub could have the adverse affect.

Nunez will screw up from time to time, miss open goals but he puts defenders on edge because of his pace and aggression. That will give others space and cause defenders to make mistakes. We all saw that about his game very early on . It's his inconsistency that goes against him. His head is in another galaxy half the time but when we fully harness his power he will become a serious force here.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,066 posts | 548 
      Reply #809: Aug 27, 2023 09:56:37 pm
      Obviously very satisfying win. Issues for me was Gakpo starting over Jota and Nunez. I'm not convinced by Macca tho. He looks a solid dependable type, may be in the same vein as Hendo but he's not as influential. Early days but have to see him run the midfield or show he has that ability in his locker. Run of the mill or slightly better is not the deal.

Gakpo has to up his game. Bit more bite, anger. Desire. Wasn't easy today but I haven't been convinced on him. May be I'm being harsh as we were up against it today.Game plan gone, we had to wing it untill we got the subs on and started to believe a bit more. So a win but numerous issues. Park it and see how the squad develops type thingy.

I thought Mac was excellent. Diligent on the defensive side and composed in possession, he was an MOTM contender for me until Darwin blew everybody else away.

Gakpo is a funny player. Sometimes looks a bit slow and not aggressive enough, and then you find he's ridden a tackle that he had no right to and he also is accelerating away from somebody without looking like he's really moving. I think he's a good all round understated centre forward, neat and tidy, hard working, quite deceptive, and we have seen he can finish.

Interesting choice for Jürgen between him and Nunez, cos they are almost total opposites in style. Gakpo starting with Nunez coming off the bench when the defenders are tiring is a nice option and probably what he'll stick with for now, even though it'll be hard to leave Darwin out after today.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,947 posts | 452 
      Reply #810: Aug 27, 2023 10:04:09 pm
      Is an absolutely fantastic win that against all the odds really.

If we want to compete this season we have to give Jürgen options. A cb and another mid should still be our priority.
      Harrisimo

• 8,437 posts | 1441 
      Reply #811: Aug 27, 2023 10:10:28 pm
      I thought Mac was excellent. Diligent on the defensive side and composed in possession, he was an MOTM contender for me until Darwin blew everybody else away.

Gakpo is a funny player. Sometimes looks a bit slow and not aggressive enough, and then you find he's ridden a tackle that he had no right to and he also is accelerating away from somebody without looking like he's really moving. I think he's a good all round understated centre forward, neat and tidy, hard working, quite deceptive, and we have seen he can finish.

Interesting choice for Jürgen between him and Nunez, cos they are almost total opposites in style. Gakpo starting with Nunez coming off the bench when the defenders are tiring is a nice option and probably what he'll stick with for now, even though it'll be hard to leave Darwin out after today.

Gakpo can be effective. Has a trick or two but does drift in and out a bit. Could do with some of Nunez's "dogs of war" mentality rubbing off on him.  And to be fair I should give the new midfield much more time. It's been a slightly inconsistent start and we will obviously get better. But early impressions of one or two haven't exactly set the pulse racing. That win against all the odds will be worth a good few points mentality wise. For 50/60 minutes we were all on the floor but we came good.

Sharper quicker passing. Better play from the back, seemed clueless a lot of the time. Much more movement OFF THE BALL to give options playing out from the back. Too early on Endo.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,763 posts | 7182 
      Reply #812: Aug 27, 2023 10:29:48 pm
      that last 30mins was a master class from Jürgen . Great boost for the lads confidence should be sky high now and shut up a few of the expert pundits
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,763 posts | 7182 
      Reply #813: Aug 27, 2023 10:34:07 pm
      1st up on MOTD 2
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,354 posts | 4969 
      Reply #814: Aug 27, 2023 10:44:56 pm
      Just seen the highlights as was working today.

Nunez finished those with class.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,737 posts | 3948 
      Reply #815: Aug 27, 2023 10:48:45 pm
      So happy watching Shearer all pissed off in the MOTD studio. Ha ha yes!!!
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 358 posts | 22 
      Reply #816: Aug 27, 2023 10:50:07 pm
      Holy sh*t that game was why I love watching. It was a struggle most of the match but the payoff was absolutely top notch.

Nunez from that spot for the first one made me just feel like when he got to that position again that he couldn't miss and he didn't.

Whooooooooooo!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,332 posts | 774 
      Reply #817: Aug 27, 2023 10:53:02 pm
      Gave "super sub" Nunez MotM for his two superb strikes, to see off the Geordies today. Well in Darwin Nunez !
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,259 posts | 1229 
      Reply #818: Aug 27, 2023 10:57:10 pm
      Epic. Nunez unleashed and surely starts the next game. That save by Ali from Almiron was ridiculous - we are so lucky to have him.
      Harrisimo

• 8,437 posts | 1441 
      Reply #819: Aug 27, 2023 11:14:15 pm
      So happy watching Shearer all pissed off in the MOTD studio. Ha ha yes!!!

Yeah and he's got that.."I'm always right" type mentality. Bit of a misery as well. I like Richards sense of fun, I mean their all wise after the event. Same on here I suppose but at at least Micah will laugh at almost anything.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #820: Aug 27, 2023 11:31:26 pm
      Can anyone tell me what all the fuss was about with Trent second yellow card that wasn’t.
      That slime all bitter clearly threw himself to the floor. The contact was minimal on his shoulder, he clearly wasn’t pulled back as he goes down forwards. The hand never hits his face, neck or throat !
      Trent puts his hand on the front of his shoulder FFS The shithouse Gordon was trying to get Trent sent off.
      The shove on Trent should have been a yellow for Gordon, and the dive should have been the second and red.

Clear as day to me, even with all the slow Mo’s.
      Just a load of sad cheating cu*ts, and the ref even worse for his interpretation.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #821: Aug 28, 2023 12:25:51 am
      Can anyone tell me what all the fuss was about with Trent second yellow card that wasn’t.
      That slime all bitter clearly threw himself to the floor. The contact was minimal on his shoulder, he clearly wasn’t pulled back as he goes down forwards. The hand never hits his face, neck or throat !
      Trent puts his hand on the front of his shoulder FFS The shithouse Gordon was trying to get Trent sent off.
      The shove on Trent should have been a yellow for Gordon, and the dive should have been the second and red.

Clear as day to me, even with all the slow Mo’s.
      Just a load of sad cheating cu*ts, and the ref even worse for his interpretation.

There was nothing malicious, but it was a professional foul.  Would have been a yellow if he hadn't just been booked, but the ref took pity because the yellow he got s few minutes prior was a crock of sh*t.  That kind of behavior happens every week, but we are the only team who's been punished for it this season, and we've got 2 yellows in 2 games for this sh*t....
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #822: Aug 28, 2023 04:43:58 am
      Massive stepping stone type of game. On the backdrop of last season where yes we finished the season with a nice unbeaten run, but we had not had that performance, that game where the squad is forced to just dig deep, work as one unit, believe all at the same time, everyone put in the extra yard, that extra push and come out on top with a massive result. That, for me, is the type of game that gives everyone associated with that club a huge boost of belief and for the rest of the league, this creates an aura around us.

I'm not going to go back and discuss the game because for me this is the type of game where I got so emotional during and after, its hard for me to even look back at it in a calm and analytical way.

With that said, what I want next is a nice home clean sheet win. I want us to start that Aston Villa game with two things in mind. First, without the ball, play with the same compactness and aggression we showed both times we got reduced to 10 men. Secure yourself defensively speaking, play as one unit and keep the clean sheet for the captain watching from the stands and you know we've got the creativity in midfield and the finishing abilities upfront to finish a game at any moment and in any situation. The second, keep hold of the ball. There's lots of new faces in that team and despite some being off to a flying start, everyone is still adapting to their new environment or to their new teammates and so there's no need to right away be playing with tons of creativity and invite press on us. Keep it simple, keep the ball for long enough and our qualities will shine. 

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,903 posts | 6829 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #823: Aug 28, 2023 06:44:33 am
      Let's start off with a

GET THE FUCKKKKKKK INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

What a win, what a comeback, loved the scenes at the end, the passion from Trent at that corner, the smile and fist pumps from Jürgen at the end to the interviews from Andy, Trent, Nunez  :D and Ali. Brilliant F***ing away result.

What I would have done to been in that away end.

I went a bit different in my MOTM. Could have easily given it to Nunez for his 2 goals or Ali for that wonder save but....

I think the minute Diego Jota came on, our whole attack looked menacing. The Lad gets in great positions and has wonderful feet and just loves to attack. He changed the tempo for me and that's when we started to get our groove back.

Over the moon with that result. F**k you Barcodes!
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 860 posts | 144 
      Reply #824: Aug 28, 2023 09:00:29 am
      Let's start off with a

GET THE FUCKKKKKKK INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

What a win, what a comeback, loved the scenes at the end, the passion from Trent at that corner, the smile and fist pumps from Jürgen at the end to the interviews from Andy, Trent, Nunez  :D and Ali. Brilliant F***ing away result.

What I would have done to been in that away end.

I went a bit different in my MOTM. Could have easily given it to Nunez for his 2 goals or Ali for that wonder save but....

I think the minute Diego Jota came on, our whole attack looked menacing. The Lad gets in great positions and has wonderful feet and just loves to attack. He changed the tempo for me and that's when we started to get our groove back.

Over the moon with that result. F**k you Barcodes!
      Absolutely this....
      And that interview with Jürgen after the game. What a joy to watch. Tears of joy!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #825: Aug 28, 2023 09:42:26 am
      Unbeaten season continues
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,258 posts | 3500 
      Reply #826: Aug 28, 2023 09:45:55 am
      I would hope after that game and the words of the players and manager some will have a lot more belief in them
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #827: Aug 28, 2023 10:15:15 am
      I’m very optimistic after yesterday’s result. We have that quality to win despite the odds.

Quick Reply