Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Luckiest Players In Our History

Read 3088 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Re: Luckiest Players In Our History
      Reply #23: Sep 10, 2023 10:51:31 pm
      Julian Dicks was lucky to ever pull on a red shirt.

Been far worse than him
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #24: Sep 10, 2023 10:53:01 pm
      Michael Thomas and Ince very lucky in regards to previous and didn't do a lot thereafter
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #25: Sep 10, 2023 11:06:29 pm
      Hey Woy with his huge invaluable experience he gained in the massive leagues of scandinavia bought some crackers, no offense to scandinavia.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,102 posts | 2129 
      Reply #26: Sep 10, 2023 11:08:55 pm
      Moreno played for us 90 times wow nearly a century just to play for us that many times has to put him as a very lucky player.   But he was not alone and a lot of the back line in particular can consider them lucky to play the amount of games they did play all collectively being a bag of nerves mistake after mistake.  One other player will definitely stand out is Mignolet over 150 appearances for us can definitely consider himself very very lucky to have that many appearances.

Shocking. I get that we were waiting on the ultimate keeper in Ali, but it really wasn't hard to find a better keeper who could have acted as a stop gap until Ali arrived. Gerrard's slip against Chelsea is the defining error in that season 10 years ago, but you could draw up a whole list of errors committed by Mignolet that season that ultimately cost us. Quite simply you're not winning anything with a GK of such substandard quality. Add the fact that we had an ageing Kolo, an appalling Skrtel and Flanagan and Cissokho playing regularly that year and it's remarkable we came so close.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #27: Sep 10, 2023 11:15:17 pm
      Shocking. I get that we were waiting on the ultimate keeper in Ali, but it really wasn't hard to find a better keeper who could have acted as a stop gap until Ali arrived. Gerrard's slip against Chelsea is the defining error in that season 10 years ago, but you could draw up a whole list of errors committed by Mignolet that season that ultimately cost us. Quite simply you're not winning anything with a GK of such substandard quality. Add the fact that we had an ageing Kolo, an appalling Skrtel and Flanagan and Cissokho playing regularly that year and it's remarkable we came so close.

Honestly it is just amazing that we played him and continued with him for 150 plus appearance.   Some of Brendan's choices were amazing.  He's not that bad overall not our material but some of his decisions my god were embarrassing.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #28: Sep 11, 2023 07:40:24 am

Ah didn't realise it was a comparison just who we think was lucky to play for us. ;)

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #29: Sep 11, 2023 10:36:28 am
      Not exactly a legend but well thought of (or at least in my mind)….Stephan Henchoz.

Decent enough but in hindsight benefitted from Houllier’s tactics which would benefit any defender and then having big Sami alongside him who was brilliant.

If any of the 3 handballs he had in the FA Cuo final were given against him then I think he wouldn’t be thought of particularly fondly 😅

Nah mate, not having Steph as lucky. It might just be me being biased because that treble winning squad is my all time favourite Liverpool squad but I reckon Henchoz is probably where he should be with Liverpool fans.

Never gonna be an all time great but a really good solid player for most of his time. Granted the handballs in Cardiff do help his cause
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #30: Sep 11, 2023 10:39:02 am
      Ah didn't realise it was a comparison just who we think was lucky to play for us. ;)

It’s actually not for people who we think were lucky to play for us mate because there’s far too many of them to list. It’s more people who we think are held in a higher regard by our fans than we think they should.

I think Julian Dicks is considered by almost all of us who seen him play as F***ing useless.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,465 posts | 822 
      Reply #31: Sep 11, 2023 11:25:22 am
      It’s actually not for people who we think were lucky to play for us mate because there’s far too many of them to list. It’s more people who we think are held in a higher regard by our fans than we think they should.

I think Julian Dicks is considered by almost all of us who seen him play as F***ing useless.
      Basically it's about who would we put a statue of outside Anfield....but then tear it down again :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #32: Sep 11, 2023 12:11:47 pm
      Basically it's about who would we put a statue of outside Anfield....but then tear it down again :)

That’s one way of looking at it mate.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #33: Sep 11, 2023 12:24:51 pm
      Woy Hodgson was lucky to manage us. l o l
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #34: Sep 11, 2023 12:50:20 pm
      Nicky Tanner I remember seeing him in a Ford Mondeo sponsored by Fords Exeter. who was the goalie who they used to call "bonus" who never played but always claimed the win bonus
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,102 posts | 2129 
      Reply #35: Sep 11, 2023 01:06:57 pm
      Nicky Tanner I remember seeing him in a Ford Mondeo sponsored by Fords Exeter. who was the goalie who they used to call "bonus" who never played but always claimed the win bonus

Speaking of goalies, anyone remember Patrice Luzi, young French a signed in Houllier's latter seasons? If anything he was unlucky...made his debut coming on for injured Dudek in that win over Chelsea in 2004 (when Cheyrou scored). As Kirkland was also injured it was finally his big moment - perhaps get a good few games under his belt. But no. We signed Paul Jones on loan and that was the end of that for Patrice!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #36: Sep 11, 2023 02:02:33 pm

Tony Warner, who shops in our gaff.

Speaking of goalies, anyone remember Patrice Luzi, young French a signed in Houllier's latter seasons? If anything he was unlucky...made his debut coming on for injured Dudek in that win over Chelsea in 2004 (when Cheyrou scored). As Kirkland was also injured it was finally his big moment - perhaps get a good few games under his belt. But no. We signed Paul Jones on loan and that was the end of that for Patrice!

Similar to Doni.

Playing second fiddle to Reina then gets a go and ends up getting sent off against Blackburn and then disappears to Brazil never to be seen again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,102 posts | 2129 
      Reply #37: Sep 11, 2023 02:40:31 pm
      Tony Warner, who shops in our gaff.

Similar to Doni.

Playing second fiddle to Reina then gets a go and ends up getting sent off against Blackburn and then disappears to Brazil never to be seen again.

There's a good one cap wonder starting xi out there somewhere
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #38: Sep 11, 2023 02:52:29 pm
      Michael Thomas and Ince very lucky in regards to previous and didn't do a lot thereafter

Disagree about Thomas, loved him in our midfield with Barnes, circa 96 season, Evans made a bad call putting Redknapp straight back in. Team was on a boss run st the time. Plus has a fairly good Fa cup final goal to his nametoo.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3740 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #39: Sep 11, 2023 04:03:51 pm
      Lallana, Keita, OAC all won everything with us with decent contribution.

All good players with sh*t fitness and the team around them lifted them(literally) to win everything.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,102 posts | 2129 
      Reply #40: Sep 11, 2023 05:08:52 pm
      Lallana, Keita, OAC all won everything with us with decent contribution.

All good players with sh*t fitness and the team around them lifted them(literally) to win everything.

AOC was powerhouse for us in 17-18 and defined the brute force of our attack. We refined it a little more but I'll cherish his dimension shattering power for those few months.

As for Lallana - his contribution was vastly underrated. I'd say for the first year and a half under Jürgen, he was the guy who got it from the very start. I think the level he set in those initial months under Jürgen proved to the rest what it needed to succeed. Some matched and surpassed it, others failed miserably.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,082 posts | 630 
      Reply #41: Sep 11, 2023 05:37:41 pm
      I still can't believe the amount of games David N'Gog played for us. Why on earth was he the only backup we had for Torres?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,102 posts | 2129 
      Reply #42: Sep 11, 2023 06:23:34 pm
      I still can't believe the amount of games David N'Gog played for us. Why on earth was he the only backup we had for Torres?

Appalling wasn't it. Cost us big time as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #43: Sep 11, 2023 07:57:43 pm

Cos Robbie Keane wasn't as great as everyone made out and missed sitters which cost us a Champions league game. Plus we still had Kuyt who was coming from the right and one or two other attacking options. Plus N'Gog was still better than Voronin and the other serb pr**k which followed. Think on eh!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #44: Sep 11, 2023 08:00:31 pm
      Appalling wasn't it. Cost us big time as well.

Not really, what cost us wad simply converting chances in the early parts of the 2008/2009 season, the missing link wasn't another striker it was the link between attack and midfield which David Silva would have filled had Rafa not had the rug pulled from under his feet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #45: Sep 11, 2023 09:26:04 pm

That is true.

Quick Reply