Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Managerial Shortlist

Read 67553 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,158 posts | 3385 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #46: Jan 26, 2024 08:24:26 pm
      I am his biggest fan, but as I posted. Gerrard could have learned from his mistakes at villa and went to another decent league to hone his skills further but he went for the big pay packet

If Gerrard went to Spain or even Germany, and did a good job, then that could have been his springboard to eventually end up here but he’s thrown it away imo

He’s improving zilch in Saudi, and he should be honing his skills to compete with the big boys in a major league to prove himself and work on himself but he’s done the opposite

You could point at numerous examples of people who’ve tried honing their skills here and abroad and still continuously failed as well though, hurting their reputation - Rooney, Lampard, Barton etc etc. Paul Clement who’s been at Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern Munich but has had a disastrous managerial career.

Gerrard could, plausibly, argue going to Saudi gives him more of a chance of becoming a successful manager to earn him a better job on the continent at a club that can compete for honours. While that would be bollocks and he went for the money, it’s something he could believe himself.

As I said, I’m not lobbying for Stevie to get the job. I’m just trying to play devils advocate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #47: Jan 26, 2024 08:30:51 pm
      What I have read though is that FSG will hire a new sporting director first and they will hire the manager. Could be wrong, just what I read.

The way it should work.

If wer going to have a Sporting Director who works with that Head Coach then you hire the Sporting Director first if possible.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 843 posts | 142 
      Reply #48: Jan 26, 2024 08:31:03 pm
      The bookies choice, in order of favouritism:
      Xabi Alonso
      Roberto De Zerbi
      Pep Lijnders
      Steven Gerrard
      Julin Nagelsmann
      Luis Enrique
      Ange Postecoglou
      Zinedine Zidane.......
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #49: Jan 26, 2024 08:37:06 pm
      The bookies choice, in order of favouritism:
      Xabi Alonso
      Roberto De Zerbi
      Pep Lijnders
      Steven Gerrard
      Julin Nagelsmann
      Luis Enrique
      Ange Postecoglou
      Zinedine Zidane.......

Like anything there's a few names there only high as they've connections with the club which is understandable

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,528 posts | 224 
      Reply #50: Jan 26, 2024 08:37:42 pm
      You could point at numerous examples of people who’ve tried honing their skills here and abroad and still continuously failed as well though, hurting their reputation - Rooney, Lampard, Barton etc etc. Paul Clement who’s been at Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern Munich but has had a disastrous managerial career.

Gerrard could, plausibly, argue going to Saudi gives him more of a chance of becoming a successful manager to earn him a better job on the continent at a club that can compete for honours. While that would be bollocks and he went for the money, it’s something he could believe himself.

As I said, I’m not lobbying for Stevie to get the job. I’m just trying to play devils advocate.

You’re right but honing his skills and learning is what he should have been aiming for and quite simply he has chosen something else

Your only chance at getting a job at a club like Liverpool is being successful in Europe, otherwise it’s a no go and that’s the reality

For example, xabi is doing what klopp did, he’s knocking Bayern off their perch with hard work with less resources

That’s the pre requisite to be a Liverpool manager, beat a team with far bigger resources

We know the new manager will be handicapped by the owners, so that’s why it’s important to find a manager who can compete with that

Gerrard has to show that but he decided to not even try
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Jan 26, 2024 08:53:04 pm
      Yes let's hope the new manager can work miracles with the 6th biggest wage bill in the world.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #52: Jan 26, 2024 08:57:44 pm
      We know the new manager will be handicapped by the owners, so that’s why it’s important to find a manager who can compete with that 

Cut the nonsense. :D

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #53: Jan 26, 2024 08:57:55 pm
      Yup. If we can't get him, go all in for big Ange. He would be awesome for us I think.

Only stick point maybe the massive compensation Spurs would be after.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #54: Jan 26, 2024 08:58:39 pm

Yea and if Ange himself wants to move so quickly.

Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 180 posts | 28 
      Reply #55: Jan 26, 2024 08:58:44 pm
      No one mention Graham Potter?  I think he is good at Brighton and we all know Chelsea is a sinking ship.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #56: Jan 26, 2024 08:59:33 pm
      No one mention Graham Potter?  I think he is good at Brighton and we all know Chelsea is a sinking ship.

Chelsea was the wrong job for Potter and I think he's a great coach but definitely the time at Chelsea sows some seeds of doubt
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #57: Jan 26, 2024 09:00:58 pm

Nope.

Has the full on rent boy gene. Not for us.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,158 posts | 3385 
      Reply #58: Jan 26, 2024 09:05:38 pm

Almost nailed on to take Hodgson's job at Palace.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #59: Jan 26, 2024 09:15:32 pm

Ach. I'm sure that would not put us off if we decide he's the man and he is happy to leave spuds. I think he probably won't want to leave yet tho.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #60: Jan 26, 2024 09:16:46 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Southgate as well mibees.  :smack: :smack:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #61: Jan 26, 2024 09:56:18 pm
      Not sure of these Ange shouts, absolutely pummelled by City, Spurs look clueless.

Don’t think because they got lucky against us is a great predictor.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,417 posts | 1437 
      Reply #62: Jan 26, 2024 09:57:36 pm
      Very unlikely that they have sounded out anybody. Tapping up is not on our song sheet. If they had the Klopp news would've leaked out.

Now the news is out there, several could be interested. It's a tricky situation for someone like Alonso. He's very inexperienced, just getting to grips with the job, hasn't been down to the wire yet. Genuine talent and it's assumed by many that he's a much better shout than Gerrard or indeed any of the others.

I wouldn't be against Alonso.I wouldn't be against Gerrard. Others might come into it. Nagelsmann , De Zerbi. Who knows.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,251 posts | 1227 
      Reply #63: Jan 26, 2024 10:30:31 pm
      Very unlikely that they have sounded out anybody. Tapping up is not on our song sheet. If they had the Klopp news would've leaked out.

Now the news is out there, several could be interested. It's a tricky situation for someone like Alonso. He's very inexperienced, just getting to grips with the job, hasn't been down to the wire yet. Genuine talent and it's assumed by many that he's a much better shout than Gerrard or indeed any of the others.

I wouldn't be against Alonso.I wouldn't be against Gerrard. Others might come into it. Nagelsmann , De Zerbi. Who knows.

Not sure sounding out always means tapping up. I'm sure there will be a way to gauge his interest, if not now then certainly as the season draws to a close, whilst respecting that he still has important work to do at Leverkusen. Xabi would absolutely be at the top of my shortlist. I think it's a fairly limited field to be honest and he sticks out like a sore thumb.
      Harrisimo

• 8,417 posts | 1437 
      Reply #64: Jan 26, 2024 10:43:32 pm
      Not sure sounding out always means tapping up. I'm sure there will be a way to gauge his interest, if not now then certainly as the season draws to a close, whilst respecting that he still has important work to do at Leverkusen. Xabi would absolutely be at the top of my shortlist. I think it's a fairly limited field to be honest and he sticks out like a sore thumb.

But if your manager is still under contract..

On your other point I agree the short list will be short. It's a test for the owners. Wouldn't do any harm to take advice from..maybe Kenny. But yes it looks like Alonso could be the target.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #65: Jan 26, 2024 10:49:46 pm
      Why is Rafa not in the mix? I‘d like him to come back and finish business with winning our #20.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Jan 26, 2024 10:54:18 pm
      I feel sick that we got this thread going 2 years ahead of time.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #67: Jan 26, 2024 10:55:40 pm
      Why is Rafa not in the mix? I‘d like him to come back and finish business with winning our #20.

No. Love rafa but things have moved on. We need to move on as well
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,725 posts | 7164 
      Reply #68: Jan 26, 2024 10:57:16 pm
      50 years ago a61 years old Bill Shankly retired having give all he could Bob retired at 63 having taken us to unimaginable heights then Joe continued the success followed by Sir Kenny and all he gave including his health
      I have nothing but respect for Jürgen we owe him so much let's just continue to give him our total support and once again see him hanging of the back of an open air bus on the Strand surrounded by silverware

Quick Reply