Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Managerial Shortlist

Read 61071 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #897: Apr 03, 2024 11:59:16 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED

Again as Red Willy says

I know what he said. That's all he ever says. Brings nothing to the discussion.

It's unbelievable that someone could be that upset over something I said that might be 1% wrong, that its enough to be considered lying. Even if it is proven to be 1% wrong, it wouldn't be the first time somebody has said something vaguely wrong on this website. Nor the last.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,203 posts | 1644 
      Reply #898: Apr 04, 2024 07:16:58 pm
      I know what he said. That's all he ever says. Brings nothing to the discussion.

It's unbelievable that someone could be that upset over something I said that might be 1% wrong, that its enough to be considered lying. Even if it is proven to be 1% wrong, it wouldn't be the first time somebody has said something vaguely wrong on this website. Nor the last.

Shut up you lying c**t
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #899: Apr 05, 2024 10:25:24 am
      LFC have opened talks with Sporting Lisbon with a view to appointing Amorim when Klopp leaves according to a French publication.

https://www.footmercato.net/a2300740036014673602-liverpool-negocie-avec-ruben-amorim
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2024 10:40:43 am by stuey »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,586 posts | 1808 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #900: Apr 05, 2024 10:43:25 am
      Amorim does seem to be the fave now.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #901: Apr 05, 2024 08:37:19 pm
      Amorim doesnt seem to do well in Europe. Overall this season, his team has been leaking goals in almost all away games, I think Liverpool might be too big of a step up for him, Portugal and England are completly different levels entirely. I'd much prefer Nagalsmann, his Bayern stint wasnt too bad IMO.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,457 posts | 2852 
      Reply #902: Apr 05, 2024 09:46:26 pm
      Amorim doesnt seem to do well in Europe. Overall this season, his team has been leaking goals in almost all away games, I think Liverpool might be too big of a step up for him, Portugal and England are completly different levels entirely. I'd much prefer Nagalsmann, his Bayern stint wasnt too bad IMO.

Sporting have conceded two more goals than us away from home in the league and they've played a game more away than us too so not sure where you're going with that one.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,237 posts | 1225 
      Reply #903: Apr 05, 2024 11:38:40 pm

Not sure Nagelsmann did particularly well in Europe at least for Bayern? Villarreal knocked them out of the CL. Wasn't much competition in the league. He does have reasonable credentials mainly I think for what he did at Leipzig. Much prefer Amorim though.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #904: Apr 06, 2024 07:58:33 am
      Amorim appears to be fav if you believe totally in the media, I guess it won’t matter that much who gets the gig cos it’s gonna be a gamble whoever it is, but like my belief in Jürgen we have to believe that FSG will do their due diligence as well as the possibly can with the limitations on offer,

RdZ, Nagelsman, Gary O’Neil, whoever it is we have to be patient and not expect too much too soon, I’m still hoping Pep Ljinders receives a offer he can’t refuse but I’m certainly not holding my breath, maybe the silence in  that regard is  good news and that indeed conversations have taken place, makes sense to me, there’s been no elaboration of him moving on aside from what we know already, but the goalposts have shifted in regards to Xabi showing his loyalty to Leverkusen since then,

Getting back to Amorim, he seems to tick a lot of the boxes required, arguably the Premeira Liga isn’t of the standard of the EPL, however I look at the style of play rather than the league you employ it in for a more balanced opinion, the quality levels are so much better obviously so that in itself is perhaps a bonus for Amorim, knowing he will play a similar style but with a enhanced level of quality,

But right now it’s all pie in the f***in sky and no body knows F**k all except those who are part of the negotiations??

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,034 posts | 3961 
      Reply #905: Apr 06, 2024 11:13:50 am
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2024 11:31:44 am by stuey »
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #906: Apr 06, 2024 11:16:22 am
      Sporting have conceded two more goals than us away from home in the league and they've played a game more away than us too so not sure where you're going with that one.
      Portuguese league is not really known for its goals, meanwhile English teams have a good scoring record. Even bookies are pricing the "Both teams to score " at around 1.50 in PL for most games, thats almost same as Germany, which is a league well known to be a goal friendly league. Even Luton town who was supposed to be the weakest team has been scoring in almost all games.

Now imagine the same tactics in England, it's not going to be pretty IMO.
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2024 11:24:39 am by Gill95 »
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #907: Apr 06, 2024 11:23:15 am
      Not sure Nagelsmann did particularly well in Europe at least for Bayern? Villarreal knocked them out of the CL. Wasn't much competition in the league. He does have reasonable credentials mainly I think for what he did at Leipzig. Much prefer Amorim though.
      Nagalsmann was a victim of politics at Bayern, he was sacked while on a winning run, and they went on to appoint Tuchel, and we know how that is going.

He seems better fit to me than Amorim. Let's hope , we do make the right decision, because imitating Klopp under similar football model, looks impossible to me. Klopp also showed great European record while at Dortmund, which is not the case for Amorim.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #908: Apr 06, 2024 11:38:21 am
      Records, credentials, trophies and everything else mean F**k all. It’s all about the right person.

Shankly’s record when he arrived was hardly glittering. Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish all had very little (if any) first team management experience when they took over yet we dominated the sport with them at the helm.

Even Jürgen, he was known for losing finals more than actually winning the trophies.

But they’re all prime examples of people who got the club, the fans and the city of Liverpool.

So first and foremost it has to be the right type of person regardless of what their CV looks like.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #909: Apr 06, 2024 11:52:15 am
      Records, credentials, trophies and everything else mean F**k all. It’s all about the right person.

Shankly’s record when he arrived was hardly glittering. Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish all had very little (if any) first team management experience when they took over yet we dominated the sport with them at the helm.

Even Jürgen, he was known for losing finals more than actually winning the trophies.

But they’re all prime examples of people who got the club, the fans and the city of Liverpool.

So first and foremost it has to be the right type of person regardless of what their CV looks like.

I mean let's not cherry pick stuff, Klopp did win 2 titles with Dortmund, Rafa won la liga with Valencia. You should also add the managers post Hillsborough. Not everyone is going to do a Dalglish or Klopp, game has evolved a lot.

We need to be smart here or else we'll lose the momentum that Klopp has given us.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #910: Apr 06, 2024 12:00:35 pm
      I mean let's not cherry pick stuff, Klopp did win 2 titles with Dortmund, Rafa won la liga with Valencia. You should also add the managers post Hillsborough. Not everyone is going to do a Dalglish or Klopp, game has evolved a lot.

We need to be smart here or else we'll lose the momentum that Klopp has given us.

It’s hardly cherry picking, giving prime examples of our most successful period in which none of the managers between 59-90 had the sort of records that would be looked at now.

And yes Jürgen had won the league in Germany before coming here. Three years before arriving. Weren’t Dortmund struggling towards the bottom of the table when he left? Again if we went with somebody like that now people would be fuming. Look at the grief Tuchel is getting, a fella who has two league titles to his name and a European Cup but is currently struggling.

So again, it’s getting the right person in regardless of their CV.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #911: Apr 06, 2024 12:12:10 pm
      It’s hardly cherry picking, giving prime examples of our most successful period in which none of the managers between 59-90 had the sort of records that would be looked at now.

And yes Jürgen had won the league in Germany before coming here. Three years before arriving. Weren’t Dortmund struggling towards the bottom of the table when he left? Again if we went with somebody like that now people would be fuming. Look at the grief Tuchel is getting, a fella who has two league titles to his name and a European Cup but is currently struggling.

So again, it’s getting the right person in regardless of their CV.

Whole Dortmund's model was to sell their best players, in his last year, Klopp was running with Immobile, who although a decent striker, turned out to be flop there, and the injuries were rampant. He did made some recovery in the end etc

On the other point, Tuchel has a toxic personality though, he has burnt bridges wherever he has gone. So, I agree with your point of the personality being a high priority . I'm just slighlty afraid of Amorim turning out to be a Rodgers-esque manager.
      Don77

• 6,621 posts | 1114 
      Reply #912: Apr 06, 2024 12:13:53 pm
      Houllier arrived here with a cv. Won trophies. Rafa came with a cv ... 2 spanish titles overturning barca and madrid. Won trophies. Klopp came with a cv ... 2 german titles and a cl final. Up until this year nobody had won outside munich since klopp. Klopp won the lot.

Hodgson ... no real cv to manage us. Failed. Rodgers had no cv to manage us and failed.

The game has changed. Its not the 60s and 70s anymore.

However, i dont see a young manager out there with a cv in any big league. Someone who has had pressure, expectation, managed big players, big games in the biggest competitions.

I agree with dunlop though mentioning the 'right' person for our club. And alot more than a cv will go into determining who that is. There is no obvious standout candidate.
      Don77

• 6,621 posts | 1114 
      Reply #913: Apr 06, 2024 12:16:51 pm
      Whole Dortmund's model was to sell their best players, in his last year, Klopp was running with Immobile, who although a decent striker, turned out to be flop there, and the injuries were rampant. He did made some recovery in the end etc

On the other point, Tuchel has a toxic personality though, he has burnt bridges wherever he has gone. So, I agree with your point of the personality being a high priority . I'm just slighlty afraid of Amorim turning out to be a Rodgers-esque manager.

Amorim has a cv. Rodgers had done nothing but talk a great game. But managing in portugal is a different kettle of fish than managing one of the top 3 clubs in the world and the pressure and expectation that comes with it. He doesnt know this league. He has not managed at the highest level.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #914: Apr 06, 2024 12:28:27 pm
      Amorim has a cv. Rodgers had done nothing but talk a great game. But managing in portugal is a different kettle of fish than managing one of the top 3 clubs in the world and the pressure and expectation that comes with it. He doesnt know this league. He has not managed at the highest level.

Yea thats the main thing, I remember Spurs bringing in Villas Boas from Porto, who had then won the league, and Europa with Porto, turned out to be a complete flop. Level difference is night and day. Ive watched a few games of sporting, against Atalanta, and Young boys. I wasnt too impressed with that
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,424 posts | 803 
      Reply #915: Apr 06, 2024 12:50:08 pm
      Some of the most successful managers ever, who'd won about a thousand trophies between them have moved to new clubs and have lasted 5 minutes...past success doesn't guarantee anything...it's going to be a leap of faith in whoever gets it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,278 posts | 931 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #916: Apr 06, 2024 01:06:19 pm
      Some of the most successful managers ever, who'd won about a thousand trophies between them have moved to new clubs and have lasted 5 minutes...past success doesn't guarantee anything...it's going to be a leap of faith in whoever gets it.

That and the toughest manager to follow
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,237 posts | 1225 
      Reply #917: Apr 06, 2024 01:07:36 pm
      It's a combination of CV, being the right fit etc. We're not going to hire some complete novice who doesn't at least show some signs of being a top manager. That's likely to mean they've either won trophies, have completed for trophies or, if options are more limited, are on a path to progression that shows they are not far off that level.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,237 posts | 1225 
      Reply #918: Apr 06, 2024 01:13:00 pm
      Nagalsmann was a victim of politics at Bayern, he was sacked while on a winning run, and they went on to appoint Tuchel, and we know how that is going.

He seems better fit to me than Amorim. Let's hope , we do make the right decision, because imitating Klopp under similar football model, looks impossible to me. Klopp also showed great European record while at Dortmund, which is not the case for Amorim.

I might have preferred Nagelsmann before but I don't like the fact he had a short stint at Bayern, not sure they played the best style of football, and there are signs he might not be the best sort of character for the club according to reports I've read anyway. This I suppose is where it comes down to judgment about the character involved and their fit for the club.

To be fair to Amorim, I don't think Sporting have ever done anything in Europe (at least not for a very long time) and it's not the same as comparing a club like that to Dortmund who were a stronger outfit in a stronger league.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #919: Apr 06, 2024 04:27:43 pm
      Houllier arrived here with a cv. Won trophies. Rafa came with a cv ... 2 spanish titles overturning barca and madrid. Won trophies. Klopp came with a cv ... 2 german titles and a cl final. Up until this year nobody had won outside munich since klopp. Klopp won the lot.

Hodgson ... no real cv to manage us. Failed. Rodgers had no cv to manage us and failed.

Houllier had done practically bugger all as a manager before coming here other than earning a couple of promotions (similar to Rodgers) and winning one League Title with PSG over ten years before becoming our manager.

He had a terrible time as the French national manager as well. Even failing to qualify for the 94 World Cup under his time there. He did alright the French youth team when the likes of Henry, Anelka and Trezeguet were up top and then he arrived here. And then was part of the national team again as they won the 98 World Cup but he wasn't the manager.

But he got the club very quickly. Having spent time here as a student probably helped there.

Hodgson, on the other hand, had won trophies at various clubs - though all long before he joined us. But he didn't get the club at all. Saying Old Trafford creates as good an atmopshere as Anfield in his very first press confernece probably didn't get him off to a good start. He was also replacing somebody that a lot of fans didn't want to see leave - that's something our next manager doesn't have to face because although we don't want Jürgen to go, it's his choice that he is leaving rather than him being sacked like Rafa.

And speaking of Rafa, his managerial CV wasn't one that was glittering up until his Valencia days. It was a fairly average record. His time at Valencia was remarkable, similar to Jürgen's time at Dortmund and that was what attracted the club to him but he got the club almost instantly.

Souness is another who turned up on the back of being successful at his previous club (actually won more League Titles than either Rafa or Jürgen albeit in a lesser league) but despite playing for us for years, he didn't seem to get the club as a manager. Was he the right man for the job at the time, having had success with Rangers and being a former Liverpool captain? He probably was. But it didn't work out for him.

Which just kind of backs up my point. If the manager gets the club, regardless of what they've done previously, then they have a much better chance of success.

And it may not be the 60s or 70s or 80s anymore, it doesn't change the type of person who fits the club. A passionate person who understands what the people of Liverpool want. We don't want flash harry who are full of front and bullshit, we want somebody is honest with us, somebody is prepared to take on anybody who is against us and above all else somebody who shows us the respect we will show them.

Quick Reply