Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atalanta?

Alisson Becker
      5 (11.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      14 (32.6%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      3 (7%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (7%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      5 (11.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      1 (2.3%)
      Cody Gakpo
      6 (14%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Jayden Danns
      6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: Apr 22, 2024 09:54:34 pm

Atalata 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 4270 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 741 
      Re: Live: Atalanta V Liverpool
      Reply #575: Apr 19, 2024 07:24:28 am

We would, but we can still be disappointed with how the last few months have gone. All the talk was how big a send off we could deliver for Klopp, so it's a crying shame to end it like this.

Some ppl got carried away with the most basic media manipulation push for clicks and headlines. And now we're being manipulated again.

It could have just as easily been said that Arsenal were pushing for a treble (back in feb) or a double (up until last week), but there were no such headlines. Why not? It wasn't as sexy. The media spun a narrative with us and people fell for it.

Even with all the injuries we over performed and people believed the hype. And now, we've played 2 bad games in a long ass season, and suddenly every one's crap including Salah and Klopp.

Incredible.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Atalata 0-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #576: Apr 19, 2024 07:27:40 am
      Curious to hear what's everyone's read on that monumental unraveling. Is it fatigue? Mentality issues? Coaching issues?

Didnt Jürgen come out recently saying something about the utd game or games? The knock on from them?

Anyway some players look like theyve hit the wall. But at the same time 2 months ago we were lapping up winning a cup with kids so maybe a bit more game time for them would have helped?

Still not too late, for example if he trusts Danns id see him scoring more on the run in then salah nunez and diaz combined at the minute!!

Oh and the fact before last night we looked incapable of a clean sheet hasnt helped
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #577: Apr 19, 2024 08:31:30 am
      Love Klopp, but that is unbelievable!

Same as it’s as though he’s holding back for the Prem campaign.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #578: Apr 19, 2024 09:28:56 am
      We take the lead, then Mo inexplicably misses but from then on we played as if we were 1 up overall!

What the F**k was all that passing backwards and sideways and Ali holding onto the ball so long?

I just cant comprehend why we went into our shells, when we should have been putting the peddle to the metal!  Inexcusable.

Another wasted Cup run that was there for the taking!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #579: Apr 19, 2024 10:04:01 am
      Couldn't deal with Atalanta's style of play at all.
      They man marked and were a real pain in the arse, pressed us high and stayed tight.
      They didn't even have to come at us last night, but still caused us problems.
      We found it hard to get the ball forward at times, passing around at the back, trying to find an out.
      Bit disappointing after the first leg, and mistakes made trying to play out, we didn't come up with a better approach to the game.

Anyway, disappointment too for Arse and Shitty so see what happens back in the PL come weekend.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,489 posts | 220 
      Reply #580: Apr 19, 2024 10:22:46 am
      They man marked and were a real pain in the arse, pressed us high and stayed tight.
      We found it hard to get the ball forward at times, passing around at the back, trying to find an out.
      Bit disappointing after the first leg, and mistakes made trying to play out, we didn't come up with a better approach to the game.

Anyway, disappointment too for Arse and Shitty so see what happens back in the PL come weekend.

It’s the lack of quality we have, we don’t really have players that have excellent movement to make run in behind or play between the lines

As I said yesterday, our average transfer business has caught up on us when Edward went. We need a reset

There is no supporter who can tell you the 140-150m spent on Nunez, Diaz and gapko is value for money to even good business

We signed 3 decent players at best

Salah is on his last legs, we can see that as he is now running less this season imo

We need to make big decisions but the new manager has got a good base but this game showed how we need to be ruthless to get back to the top with some of the players we have

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #581: Apr 19, 2024 10:26:34 am
      To state the obvious, the Fulham game is the biggest of our season. Win it and we leapfrog City and hope springs anew on here and, more importantly, in the dressing room. Anything less than a win and our season really is over.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #582: Apr 19, 2024 10:39:28 am
      It’s the lack of quality we have, we don’t really have players that have excellent movement to make run in behind or play between the lines

As I said yesterday, our average transfer business has caught up on us when Edward went. We need a reset

There is no supporter who can tell you the 140-150m spent on Nunez, Diaz and gapko is value for money to even good business

We signed 3 decent players at best

Salah is on his last legs, we can see that as he is now running less this season imo

We need to make big decisions but the new manager has got a good base but this game showed how we need to be ruthless to get back to the top with some of the players we have

We definitely have some decisions to make in the summer regarding some of the players, mainly up front imho.

But it's mid Apr and we're still within couple of points of the top of the table, albeit not in very good form.  So we're not a million miles away.

I haven't gone back over seasons in google or anything, but it does feel like from Feb-Apr in some years, we've had a few weeks of a major form dip that has knocked us completely sideways after putting ourselves in a good position. Could probably write a thesis on it though, and still not figure out why.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #583: Apr 19, 2024 10:46:19 am
      We definitely have some decisions to make in the summer regarding some of the players, mainly up front imho.

But it's mid Apr and we're still within couple of points of the top of the table, albeit not in very good form.  So we're not a million miles away.

I haven't gone back over seasons in google or anything, but it does feel like from Feb-Apr in some years, we've had a few weeks of a major form dip that has knocked us completely sideways after putting ourselves in a good position. Could probably write a thesis on it though, and still not figure out why.
      Philosophers since the dawning of time have struggled with "Why"anything ......Have a great day fella
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #584: Apr 19, 2024 11:22:10 am

1st half last night we were Dyno. Lots of movement to upset the man marking, but it faded 2nd half, we ran out of ideas and energy.

Heyho we gave it go.

YNWA
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #585: Apr 19, 2024 12:12:05 pm
      I'm struggling to remember their keeper having to make a save from open play....that's incredible. There was still 83 minutes left after we scored!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #586: Apr 19, 2024 12:20:43 pm
      No lack of effort, no lack of heart, no lack of skill. 
      We seemed short of confidence and belief, and the longer it went on at 0-1, the more the doubt (that we would ever score, that we could stop them scoring) grew among the lads.

This led to safe football, keeping possession as opposed to gambling in attack, backing off and covering for each other instead of making a dash into attacking space. Waiting for opportunity to come to us, when we needed to make opportunity, grab every hint of it.

Trent was awesome first half then tired. Cody was great first half, and prob our best overall. Curtis grew into it but looked nervy. Mac worksd his nads off but got isolated a lot and tired (he needs an Endo). Dom tried too hard to impress and couldnt find a pass all night. Mo patrolled in front of our defence at times, dallied, dashed and snatched at the ball up front and tried to do it all but did almost nothing. 

Atalanta and their canny boss, good luck to them, I hope they win it. Good outfit. Good players. We’d do well to look at one or two. The Dutch lad..
      Honest. Not the sh*te some are describing them as. They had a level of organisation, intelligence and enterprise that held us at bay (penalty aside) for 180 minutes and threatened us repeatedly on the back of our confused efforts to make our system work.

Btw, What is our system now?

Klopp’s great Midfield used to be the water carriers, being wherever needed - making triangles centrally or along the flanks, creating overlaps and overloads. Lately they seem uncertain when to attack or defend, together or alone.

Jürgen looked a sad figure I thought.  Almost helpless. Bewildered. I hope to god he’s ok.   

Sorry to ramble. I spent ages reading and overthinking about this tie and this season and what it means to us. Don’t really know what else to say.

YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #587: Apr 19, 2024 12:21:09 pm
      I'm struggling to remember their keeper having to make a save from open play....that's incredible. There was still 83 minutes left after we scored!

He didnt, closest he came to having to was Diaz that was called offside anyway as far as I remember

Its a wonder we never signed a " target man " for the amount of crosses we try to whip in the box, or even to have as a plan B
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,336 posts | 281 
      Reply #588: Apr 19, 2024 02:35:30 pm
      It wasn't though. If we score a second goal any time in the second half they would have started shitting themselves and it would have been game on. But we didn't show enough quality, urgency or nous in that second to even create a decent chance.

I think he means the belief and energy seemed to leave us after that moment. We'd have won from that point.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #589: Apr 19, 2024 05:03:41 pm
      I think he means the belief and energy seemed to leave us after that moment. We'd have won from that point.

I suppose that could be what he meant. It's definitely a better answer to my post ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      Reply #590: Apr 20, 2024 01:15:20 am
      Still can't get over that ...coming out ...pen inside 7 mins, scoring, then for the rest of the game played like they were trying to protect a 1 goal lead.

Baffling. I just don't understand how it all went so wrong.

Jürgen said, if we are going to go out, let's go out in style.

We went out without a F***ing whimper, is what hurts so much, even some 27 hours later.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #591: Apr 20, 2024 01:47:15 am
      Still can't get over that ...coming out ...pen inside 7 mins, scoring, then for the rest of the game played like they were trying to protect a 1 goal lead.

We went out without a F***ing whimper, is what hurts so much, even some 27 hours later.

All those sideways and backwards passes as the clock ticked down were pretty infuriating.

I think you've got to credit their coach with his half time tweaks. Jürgen had obviously told us what he wanted to do to combat what they did to us at Anfield and first half it actually worked pretty well. Jürgen probably told them to stick to the game plan second half, but Gasperini figured out how to close off our short passing lanes and the plan stopped working. I think the players on the park needed to show a bit more leadership and initiative and adjust on the fly but they didn't.

Think.this applies to the back 4 in particular. The forwards were hanging high up the pitch and basically going "just hit us with a long ball". The back 4 were going - nah let's just pass it short, why aren't you coming short? Think they should be taking the lead from the forwards there and serve them what they're asking for, game plan or no.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      Reply #592: Apr 20, 2024 02:17:37 am
      All those sideways and backwards passes as the clock ticked down were pretty infuriating.

I think you've got to credit their coach with his half time tweaks. Jürgen had obviously told us what he wanted to do to combat what they did to us at Anfield and first half it actually worked pretty well. Jürgen probably told them to stick to the game plan second half, but Gasperini figured out how to close off our short passing lanes and the plan stopped working. I think the players on the park needed to show a bit more leadership and initiative and adjust on the fly but they didn't.

Think.this applies to the back 4 in particular. The forwards were hanging high up the pitch and basically going "just hit us with a long ball". The back 4 were going - nah let's just pass it short, why aren't you coming short? Think they should be taking the lead from the forwards there and serve them what they're asking for, game plan or no.

Was a shamozzle from the 8th minute onwards!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,594 posts | 741 
      Reply #593: Apr 20, 2024 03:41:15 am

My brother in christ, we have lost 2 league games and 2 cup games all season. Can we get a grip?
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,129 posts | 83 
      Reply #594: Apr 20, 2024 06:11:10 am

This is no FIFIA 24. This is high profile football and there is a reason why things we did to Barca in 2019 happen very few times. If we tried too much after our lead they score 5 on us. We had plenty of time, so take time. But again, not easy because they wait for the counter attack. At the end the team decided to take a win instrad of going all out and lose 4-1, diggin an even larger hole. I can understand it. This mess of the last three weeks happen because of our injuries. They come back in and disrupt the flow of the team. But Klopp had no choice. And it will continue vs. Fulham. It is over and it is 90% on our many injuries which hurt us indirectly after all.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #595: Apr 20, 2024 07:44:58 am
      I have t posted in this thread since the game but you have to hand it to them. They were outstanding. I can’t remember a team pressing a ball so effectively as they did during that 2nd half. They were like machines.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #596: Apr 20, 2024 07:50:48 am
      Wonder what has changed, all through the season we have looked like we will score goals, yes we are conceding but always look like we will score more. Now do dont seem so sure upfont like we have lost out confidence. Could it be the effect ok Klopp leaving has sunk in. Hope it dosent last to long
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #597: Apr 20, 2024 09:04:59 am
      I wonder if the reality of Jürgen’s imminent departure and the uncertainty over who and what will succeed him is playing on players’ minds as we get towards the end of the season?
      Players tend to look after their own interests first despite fans thinking that they ‘love the club.’ This may be most true when things aren’t great on the pitch. I’d like to believe our lads are better than that, but I’m not sure about some.
      We need to remind ourselves that most of them were attracted to Liverpool because of Jürgen above all else, and might be thinking, “Where’s my next move?”

Sad to think.

YNWA

Quick Reply