Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Result against the scum?  (You must be logged in to vote)

Liverpool hand United a lesson. Reds win.
      (75.9%)
      Unsatisfyng draw
      (7.6%)
      United buy the ref and beat us
      (3.8%)
      Match postponed because Gary Neville's got plans with his brother, father and mother.
      (12.7%)

Liverpool v Man Utd (Sun 16 Dec 1.30pm)

Read 35707 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Liverpool v Man Utd (Sun 16 Dec 1.30pm)
      Reply #46: Dec 13, 2007 03:06:46 pm
      Momo, stay at home mate ...I heard your place is going to be done over next ;0)
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #47: Dec 13, 2007 03:37:10 pm
      I think there should be another massive vocal display on Sunday in support of our manager!!
      just to hammer home the message to our Colonial owners prior to the summit after the game.
      I FOR ONE WILL BE SCREAMIN HIS NAME 
      YNWA
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #48: Dec 13, 2007 03:43:13 pm
      R
      A
      F
      A

R
      A
      F
      A
      E
      L
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #49: Dec 13, 2007 04:46:48 pm
      Hey guys, new to this forum. Been a long time reader though. Thought with it being such a massive game I would try and get in the spirit of things.

People seem very confident but this is going to be a very tough game. Its imperative we don't lose but a draw wouldn't be the worst result in the world. Let's not forget, they are a very, very strong side and we will need to at our absolute best to get anything. Stick with the team that played Tuesday and it gives us a good chance. We really have to try and shackle them in midfield. Anderson looks like the real deal from what I've seen so we need to censure we close them down and "get in their faces".

Forget about that Cup game in a couple of years back. We over-powered them then but they are a totally different proposition now. They swept us aside in ruthless fashion at OT last season but we could certainly feel hard done by from the Anfield clash. 

It'll be a cagey affair but a fascinating one. I can't share the same confidence as some on here but I'm going for a 1-1 with Torres on the scoresheet.

I wholeheartedly disagree with what you say, but you've given reasons for your opinion which is more than most new posters do. Good first post mate, welcome to the forum :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #50: Dec 13, 2007 04:59:02 pm
      Yeah, good post Fowler23, welcome to the forum. Can't see how you can say they swept us aside at Old Trafford though. And if Riise plays on Sunday, he'll certainly get swept aside!  ;)
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #51: Dec 13, 2007 05:18:52 pm
      Yeah, good post Fowler23, welcome to the forum. Can't see how you can say they swept us aside at Old Trafford though. And if Riise plays on Sunday, he'll certainly get swept aside!  ;)

From my perspective they certainly bettered us in that game I'm afraid. A very low point was that. It was our fith or sixth defeat or something. Darren Feltcher was made to look like Roy Keane as well by a hapless Momo. we were inept all over the park to be honest but we managed to re-group to some extent over the season, certainly in the Champions League.

Something about this up coming game brings back memories of the Arsenal game a few weeks ago. If we start brightly like we did then we have ensure we can keep it up and impose ourselves more. We let Arsenal back into the game far too easy and they managed to play some excellent Football as a result and eventually come a way with a well earned point. Getting an early goal Sunday may not be the best thing you know. A goal in the last twenty and it could be game over

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #52: Dec 13, 2007 05:39:57 pm
      I wouldn't go as far to say they swept us aside i honestly think it was just one of those days when nothing went right, granted our play was appalling that day but i do feel some hash lessons were learned that day and whilst the Mancs have improved so have we and at Anfield it is very rare that they come into town and walk all over us.
      We will also have some changes compared to the side who put up such an inept performance at Old Trafford last season.

25  Jose Reina 
      23  Jamie Carragher 
      3  Steve Finnan 
      4  Sami Hyypia 
      6  John Arne Riise 
      8  Steven Gerrard 
      10  Luis Garcia 
      11  Mark Gonzalez 
      14  Xabi Alonso 
      22  Mohamed Sissoko 
      18  Dirk Kuyt

Yes the core of that team is in the reckoning for a Sunday start but with no Gonzalez or Garcia and a possible inclusion of the ever improving Arbeloa i feel we are more than capable of stifling some of the wing play the Mancs usually use to such good effect.
      Attack wise i still feel the Mancs defence is there to be got at and the pace of Torres (if he's not rotated ;D) and the bursting runs from midfield by Gerrard are more than a match for any team in Europe.
      Lets have a good start to the game with an explosive atmosphere and seriously give them something to think about.
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #53: Dec 13, 2007 07:14:37 pm
      i wud like to see babel up front with torres as he has shown he can be a good striker, alos him and torres are two of the quickest in the prem and i wud like to see there defence try and cope with their pace. or babel on the right as he would be able to expose evra. i think there may even be a part for lucas to play and that rafa may go gerrard playing just behind torres with mascherano and lucas playing more of a holding role with kewell and babel on the wings. as finnan is injured then the back 4 will be the same.

reina

arbeloa           carragher               hyypia           riise

mascherano
                                                         lucas
             babel                                                               kewell
                                             gerrard

torres

or

reina

arbeloa            carragher              hyypia         riise

gerrard            lucas                    mascherano      kewell

torres                babel/kuyt/crouch
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #54: Dec 13, 2007 07:24:13 pm
      Brian has the right team, with babel coming in for kewell at the 65th minute or so.......    HANDLE IT BOYS!
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #55: Dec 13, 2007 07:59:14 pm
      i think torres will run rings round the manks defence, the guy will love this tie. runing at fat boy ferdinand he wont know wot will hit him. i realy canot wait till sunday, a good win for the reds and a derseved win for the reds to. torres for a hat trick.
      Fowler23
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #56: Dec 13, 2007 08:05:25 pm
      I wouldn't go as far to say they swept us aside I honestly think it was just one of those days when nothing went right, granted our play was appalling that day but I do feel some hash lessons were learned that day and whilst the Mancs have improved so have we and at Anfield it is very rare that they come into town and walk all over us.
      We will also have some changes compared to the side who put up such an inept performance at Old Trafford last season.

25  Jose Reina 
      23  Jamie Carragher 
      3  Steve Finnan 
      4  Sami Hyypia 
      6  John Arne Riise 
      8  Steven Gerrard 
      10  Luis Garcia 
      11  Mark Gonzalez 
      14  Xabi Alonso 
      22  Mohamed Sissoko 
      18  Dirk Kuyt

Yes the core of that team is in the reckoning for a Sunday start but with no Gonzalez or Garcia and a possible inclusion of the ever improving Arbeloa I feel we are more than capable of stifling some of the wing play the Mancs usually use to such good effect.
      Attack wise I still feel the Mancs defence is there to be got at and the pace of Torres (if he's not rotated ;D) and the bursting runs from midfield by Gerrard are more than a match for any team in Europe.
      Lets have a good start to the game with an explosive atmosphere and seriously give them something to think about.

Certainly a different team alright but compare it to the 2006 Manc FA Cup team and I think theres about 4 from that who will start. Its a clean slate this game for both teams. Two very good teams who are both on form. Its stupid but also easy I suppose to get carried away in the furore surrounding tuesdays win. We're up against different gravy on Sunday. Its possibly the biggest league game between the two since 97. Can't wait now. Survive tommorow in work and then the real anticipation can begin!

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2007 08:10:34 pm by Fowler23 »
      Barnes.on.the.left
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts | -1 
      Reply #57: Dec 13, 2007 08:25:34 pm
      I really cant wait for Sunday now. Id go with something like this..

Reina, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Carragher, Aurelio, Benayoun, Masch, Gerrard, Kewell, Kuyt, Torres.

Only surprise is that id probably leave Riise out and put Aurelio in although we all know what Rafa is like... He'll probably play them both and leave Kewell out. Even still im going into the game in complete confidence that we'll get a good result this time. We aint beaten them in the league at home since November 2001 so were due a win! 3-0 Torres, Gerrard and Babel (off the bench :-))
      Barnes.on.the.left
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts | -1 
      Reply #58: Dec 13, 2007 09:02:22 pm
      Hey guys, new to this forum. Been a long time reader though. Thought with it being such a massive game I would try and get in the spirit of things.

People seem very confident but this is going to be a very tough game. Its imperative we don't lose but a draw wouldn't be the worst result in the world. Let's not forget, they are a very, very strong side and we will need to at our absolute best to get anything. Stick with the team that played Tuesday and it gives us a good chance. We really have to try and shackle them in midfield. Anderson looks like the real deal from what I've seen so we need to censure we close them down and "get in their faces".

Forget about that Cup game in a couple of years back. We over-powered them then but they are a totally different proposition now. They swept us aside in ruthless fashion at OT last season but we could certainly feel hard done by from the Anfield clash. 

It'll be a cagey affair but a fascinating one. I can't share the same confidence as some on here but I'm going for a 1-1 with Torres on the scoresheet.
      It is important we get at them in Midfield. If mascherano does his job that will be easy enough. A few of my Manc friends have been waxing lyrical over Anderson and his performances but im not so sure. They dont half miss Scholes.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #59: Dec 13, 2007 10:18:30 pm
      COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS! ANY SUGGESTIONS ON FIRST GOAL SCORER?

Got to be superman Torres  ;)
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #60: Dec 13, 2007 10:19:18 pm

Oh yeah, definetely. And then it will be Gerrard and then Babel and then Torres again.  :)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #61: Dec 13, 2007 10:25:25 pm
      I just hope Torres shows up that twit Ferdinand as the mediocre, over-hyped, arrogant tit he really is. I'd be happy with 1-0 though, you just can't underestimate Utd despite all their faults. They've got a good strikeforce in Tevez and Rooney, and you can't deny Ronaldo's not a brilliant player, despite being a dirty cheat.

One big question for me would be the inclusion of Alonso. If he is indeed fit, would you include him, at the risk of showing up his lack of match practice? He's a great player, but anyone who's been out for as long as he has will be lacking that sharpness needed to perform.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #62: Dec 14, 2007 01:07:04 am
      i hope we use the same team as on tuesday as rafa said it was almost perfect, solid and compact yet we had an effectiveness down both flanks. i think id like to see babel replace kuyt after 60 and pair up with torres, leave kewell and beneyoun down the flanks, but were not there duirng the training so things could change and rafas full of surprises. i wouldnt mind riise playing because he looked good the other day, but im praying he doesnt put on sissoko.

does any one think babel should start up front, or not a good idea?
      stellaakasugar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #63: Dec 14, 2007 01:57:23 am
      As long as we can get a few goals ahead before the 90th min we will definitely win. The scum have a real nack of scoring the winning goal in the 90th for as long as i can remember! (thats not that long really because my memory is terrible!)Think that's one of the reasons i hate them sooo much! Will have two scum fans here to watch the game as well so im really hoping for high goal win for us so i can kick them out the door laughing my little cotton socks off!  :)
      I thinking on the lines of a 3 - 1 win.
      Kop-Of-Malaya
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -4 
      • Kop The Best
      Reply #64: Dec 14, 2007 05:08:14 am
      yeah....love to see babel to score again.....btw , is he a striker or winger???wat ever unless he has a skill to show and beat evra at left-side then supply help 4 torres
      bt7cadillac
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #65: Dec 14, 2007 05:58:53 am
      Got a feeling Harry is going to net his first of the season.

Then Torres and Kuyt to round off a 3-0 result :)
      Kop-Of-Malaya
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -4 
      • Kop The Best
      Reply #66: Dec 14, 2007 06:48:23 am
      Got a feeling Harry is going to net his first of the season.

Then Torres and Kuyt to round off a 3-0 result :)

zzzzzz.........Kewell go for a volley???I hope Van De Sar ready for it
      cineaste
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts | -7 
      Reply #67: Dec 14, 2007 07:55:11 am
      I've read a couple of articles saying that Mascherano won't be fit for Sunday. Can anyone confirm that? I really (!) hope he makes it, he'll play a great part in neutralizing United's midfield.

I hope we start with the following 11:

Reina
      Arbeloa (if Finnan wasn't injured, I would play Arbeloa on left)
      Carragher
      Hyypiä
      Riise

Benayoun
      Mascherano
      Gerrard
      Kewell

Kuyt
      Torres

Gerrard with the first goal of the match. Momo did a pretty decent job last time the two teams met, but he's just waaay of his best at the moment.
      curse
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts | -1 
      • Torres = GOALS!!
      Reply #68: Dec 14, 2007 08:02:26 am
      I reckon we do to them what they did to us. W dominate the match from start to finish and then right at the end Torres does a superb individual goal to rub in the mancs faces. Also where's Danny Murphy whn you need him!

Quick Reply