Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Is it worth buying African players?

Read 5182 times
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Re: Is it worth buying African players?
      Reply #23: Dec 21, 2007 09:11:36 am
      you have all made points which i never disagreed with, i just would like someone with the skill and talent to bring us that title we all crave. i just think that some of our previous african players have not done it at the level liverpool fans expect. e.g diouf, salf diao, sissoko recently
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #24: Dec 21, 2007 09:16:49 am
      You're right, our recent African signings haven't been good enough, but that doesn't justify a statement like 'African players don't have good footballing brains'

Anyway we'll leave it there now, as you seem to have retracted your previous statement (I think?)
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Reply #25: Dec 21, 2007 09:32:24 am
      yep, ok at the time probably not the best thing to say on a quick harsh thought i had, just came out.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #26: Dec 21, 2007 12:53:33 pm
      This is a stupid debate

If they are good enough for Liverpool then it dosent matter were they are from and as for the African Nations ....imagine Torres was from Nigeria for arguments sake and we had to cope without him for about a month every few years . I think its safe to say we would all still have him !

If we were to sign Samuel Eto'o in January ........im sure everybody would be over the moon !

Therefore maybe this thread should be 'is it worth signing sh*t african players like Diao?' , in that case no.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #27: Dec 21, 2007 06:21:18 pm
      I wouldnt call it a stupid debate.

I agree that its still worth to buy african players who are good enough for Liverpool, but there might arise a problem if you had several african players in your squad. Take a look at Chelsea. Every january they risk loosing Drogba, Kalou, Essien and Obi Mikel. That is a pretty heavy loss, so the fact that many african players are away on national duty in january is not totally irrelevant.
      Maybe it should be called "How big a disadvantage is it that african players may be away in January?", but I think everybody understands the topic, so who cares about the name.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #28: Dec 21, 2007 08:23:57 pm
      I wouldnt call it a stupid debate.

I agree that its still worth to buy african players who are good enough for Liverpool, but there might arise a problem if you had several african players in your squad. Take a look at Chelsea. Every january they risk loosing Drogba, Kalou, Essien and Obi Mikel. That is a pretty heavy loss, so the fact that many african players are away on national duty in january is not totally irrelevant.
      Maybe it should be called "How big a disadvantage is it that african players may be away in January?", but I think everybody understands the topic, so who cares about the name.

Very true. Another team that seems to suffer as much as chelsea from this competition is portsmouth who have a number of african players
      theinsider
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #29: Dec 21, 2007 09:26:11 pm
      Well, I wouldn't mind Eto'o
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #30: Dec 26, 2007 03:46:28 pm
      I think there has to be considerations given to this factor, good thread Curse even though someone can not read your point and tried to give it a very different light.  We are alright at the moment, but if we did have influential African players then it would be an idea to try and limit the number of players in the squad.  But like most clubs we are all starving for tallent and it is a hard one. 
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #31: Dec 31, 2007 12:51:25 am
      I dnt think so, yeh they may be physical and have the stamina to out run all others but when it comes down to it, its all about the football brain, and not many of them have that, simple as!

This has to be the dumbest uninformed comment I have ever read in this forum. So illiterate.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #32: Dec 31, 2007 12:59:02 am
      im not being in any way prejudice, I am informed very well thank you, but I have an opinion which is valid, I would rather have a young european player, or to be honest top notch english if available rather then an african player. I agree there are some greats, but if you do look closely they are not great minded in football terms, all great african players learn there trade in either france or spain, so its the influence of those leagues that create players such as the toure brothers, drogba and okacha.

Racist piece of dog poop!
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #33: Dec 31, 2007 02:07:42 am
      I think some african players like Eto'o,Drogba, Yaya Toure, Essien, Zakora and the like are worth signing. It really does not matter if a player is from Europe, Asia or Africa.What matters is the ability and quality to perform on the highest stage.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #34: Jan 04, 2008 12:28:15 am
      I think some african players like Eto'o,Drogba, Yaya Toure, Essien, Zakora and the like are worth signing. It really does not matter if a player is from Europe, Asia or Africa.What matters is the ability and quality to perform on the highest stage.

For a single player, ability and quality count of course, but on .tv, sissoko (african himself) points out the things that points against you when you are a team with many african players. Like we have mentioned earlier in the thread. So; in this sense it matters if the player is from africa.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158260080103-1420.htm
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #35: Jan 04, 2008 02:58:20 pm
      Strange comments going on here when at the start of the season I seem to remember loads of posts crying out for us to buy Samuel Eto. Including me !
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #36: Jan 04, 2008 11:55:28 pm
      A very misinformed comment, I take it you haven't watched players like Yaya Toure, Sulley Muntari or Jay Jay Okocha, and are too young to remember the likes of George Weah. Let's not forget either there are players like Vieira, who whilst officially being French was actually born in Senegal. It is a very sweeping statement you have made there mate, and one that borders on being prejudicial, try engaging your brain before posting.

Well, I have to agree with you a bit, but also some of this "African Players Will Rule" rubbish needs to be looked at. Pele said an African team would win the World CUp by 2000 and how woeful he was. In fact, African teams were rubbish at the last world cup. Rubbish. Ghana got to the 2nd round and were hammered by a disinterested Brazil, the sort of team you imagine would have been exposed by a hungry African side. Now there is all this hype over South Africa, and I'll hazard a bet that there won't be an African team in the semis there either.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Jan 05, 2008 11:51:57 am
      If we're talking individual talent, yes. No matter where they are from, if they have the talent sign them, if not, on ya bike. There is no need to bring in race to football. Its talent and only talent.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #38: Jan 07, 2008 05:21:12 pm
      I'll hazard a bet that there won't be an African team in the semis there either.

Now that is a daring bet!
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #39: Jan 08, 2008 08:57:49 am
      Now there is all this hype over South Africa, and I'll hazard a bet that there won't be an African team in the semis there either.

To be honest...as things stand you might be right...we'll have to look for progress in this year's AFCON...

I have to say though that a lot of the African junior squads are very promising...so we'll just have to wait and see...

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #40: Jan 08, 2008 09:14:33 am
      I'm convinced that the African will produced a dozen or so new world-class player in the next 3-4 years.

Why?

Many African kids, just like Brazilians ... still play their footy in the street, a football ball is still seen as a treasure and as a Brazilian once said to me about footballs...

"give the ball some respect and love, and the ball will respect and love you in return"

(swap the word "ball" for PSP, Xbox or Playstation in Europe...)

Quick Reply