Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

How important is Stevie G??

Read 2728 times
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      How important is Stevie G??
      Dec 20, 2007 06:59:14 pm
      i was listening to the bwin broadcast of the carling cup match, and one of the commentators said "it seems as if when mr. gerrard doesnt' show up to play, neither does the rest of the squad".

could this be true? what would happen if stevie suffered a major injury and would be out for about 6 weeks like john terry? what would happen to this club?

i hope and pray everyday that this doesnt' happen, but it might.  imo, stevie does carry us through some tough times and gives us those bursts of hope,  but if he does leave, or is out for a considerable amount of time, i fear that the team might slip as well. we have a talented group of guys

but i'm sure his stomach bug is going away, so i'm positive he'll be in the line up for popmey on sat. YNWA :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0:
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: How important is Stevie G??
      Reply #1: Dec 20, 2007 07:08:56 pm
      You have got a very short memory, dont you remember Stevie's foot injury he picked up against the Mancs in Sept 2004 ?  He never returned till late November that season.  The rest is history, do you remember May 2005 ?  :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: :champ: 
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Dec 20, 2007 07:09:48 pm
      thing is this has been said about our team time and time again. even after we won the games we played without him earlier in the season due to his broken toe ppl still doubted us. i think we can win without him he is extremely important due to how good a player he is i mean who doesnt want a player like stevie in their team, he could walk into any team in the league.

we only lost yestrdy due to not playing a full strength squad when chelsea played 10 first teamers with 1 reserve who is worthy of being a chelsea first teamer. alonsos first game back after such a heavy injury he wasnt going to be able to set the world alight was he. a different formation to usual and different players playing together.

i hope he doesnt get a big injury like that either as he is a phenominal player the worlds best imo, as there is no flaws to his game but i think we can cope without him when we do need to as we have already shown this season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,673 posts | 6967 
      Reply #3: Dec 20, 2007 07:37:08 pm
      Not sure about the stats but on a number on occasions when SG has been absent I have seen a real team ethic present amongst the Liverpool sides.

I personally think because he is an ever present, and he is a darling of the press, his involvement is over-hyped somewhat.

Let's just say I think we would avoid relegation if he left. By a long long way. ;)
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #4: Dec 20, 2007 08:01:09 pm
      Steven Gerrard is very important because he is a world class player and in any team the more world class players you have the better.

Having stated the bl**dy obvious can you go futher and state we would be lost without him?  There is no doubt he would be a loss but remember when he got sent off against the Blue Sh*te at Anfield we still won with ten men.

A great loss yes but not the end of the world.  Having said this it is a pointless discussion as he has committed the rest of his career to Liverpool and baring injury will remain one of the first names on the teamsheet for a long time to come.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 456 
      Reply #5: Dec 20, 2007 09:13:34 pm
      Steven G is the most complete footballer in the world it is obvious that we will miss him if he is not playing, like any other team would miss their best player.  Can we cope without him?  We have in the past and will in the future as we have a good enough squad to make do without him.   

Batman, I think the commentator that said that during the game was very stupid as he surely could see that we fielded a weaker team against a very experience team.  And it wasn't just Gerrard that was missing, a very very poor example.  Nevertheless, Gerrard is very important to us especially when we are behind.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Dec 20, 2007 09:48:28 pm
      One time i would of said that if Stevie was missing then we would be knacked but now i feel we have a decent squad to cope if he were to get injured,we arent a 1 man team anymore.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 564 posts |
      Reply #7: Dec 21, 2007 02:34:45 am
      thing is this has been said about our team time and time again. even after we won the games we played without him earlier in the season due to his broken toe ppl still doubted us. I think we can win without him he is extremely important due to how good a player he is I mean who doesnt want a player like stevie in their team, he could walk into any team in the league.

we only lost yestrdy due to not playing a full strength squad when chelsea played 10 first teamers with 1 reserve who is worthy of being a chelsea first teamer. alonsos first game back after such a heavy injury he wasnt going to be able to set the world alight was he. a different formation to usual and different players playing together.

I hope he doesnt get a big injury like that either as he is a phenominal player the worlds best imo, as there is no flaws to his game but I think we can cope without him when we do need to as we have already shown this season.

very true mate, and i'm surprised that we held them to 2 throughout the game. i agree completely with that statement.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #8: Dec 21, 2007 06:51:42 am
      Personnally I think that when Alonso is fit we can make a pretty impressive team without Stevie. I'm bye no means saying that Alonso can replace him or that he is the same player, but I just think that he'll provide us with a edge in other areas that can compensate for the loss of Captain Fantastic. Rafa's turned us into a team and not a "one-man show" (as the media puts it) like we were before.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Dec 21, 2007 07:45:53 am
      Not sure about the stats but on a number on occasions when SG has been absent I have seen a real team ethic present amongst the Liverpool sides.

I personally think because he is an ever present, and he is a darling of the press, his involvement is over-hyped somewhat.

Let's just say I think we would avoid relegation if he left. By a long long way. ;)

I would agree with you on that. Also to note I have seen some bloody good performances when he hasnt been around. To be honest with you the game against the chavs I didnt think we played that badly and bear in mind we put a second string team out against the chavs first 11, albiet Sinclair was the only one who I hadnt seen in a blue shirt before.( Mind you that goal he scored for Plymouth was amazing). In fact most of the games Ive not seen SG play in we have performed really well, anyone remember Juventus??? Sometimes his role can be very much overplayed by the media because of their narrow minded view of things and the pressure to see a new angle on facts, ones own judgement can be influenced by such propaganda and it can be seen and construde that the team can do nothing without him on one game.

And yes I have swalled a dictionary this morning.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #10: Dec 21, 2007 08:29:23 am

And yes I have swalled a dictionary this morning.

You were going really well 'til you 'swalled'. ;D
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #11: Dec 23, 2007 03:30:26 am

Yes, Stevie is indispensable, however, i've got the hunch that other players, particularly the newer ones are in fear of him because of his enormous reputation while they tried their best not to make any mistake on the field or else they'll end up getting an earful from Stevie. How many times we have seen Stevie shouting at them already. This may have caused some of the newer players to be over cautious in their play and not really demonstrating their full potential on the field. Mascherano as an example, eventhough he's a defending midfielder, how many times we have seen him going forward but stop short just outside the box and made the back passes, hoping that Gerrard or someone else would do the rest and more importantly not to make a mistake. I was shouting away hoping that he'll continue to go forward and try to break down the opposition defence, never mind if he failed but at least he tried. If he could create something from every 2 tries, I'd be happy instead of those aimless high and long balls from our defenders. Going by what had happened before when Stevie got injured, the players expressed themselves more freely and we could see the creativity and fluidity in our play. Having said that, I'm not suggesting that Stevie should get injured and I sincerely hope not to see that but Stevie is older now and should stop his shouting and ranting but gives encouragement instead that would bring out the best in our players.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Dec 23, 2007 08:41:29 am
      When Stevie is on song there is not a player in the world to touch him,but I think we have got depth in the strength of the squad to still do well if he is out injured.Alonso is ready to come back,Agger cant be far away from returning and in Lucas we have a player who can play a similar role to Stevie.I.M.O would not want to see Stevie out injured but if he is I feel we have got enough cover.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #13: Dec 23, 2007 09:41:30 am
      World Class = Very Important.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #14: Dec 23, 2007 03:50:57 pm

Somehow true! Donrafael, Steven Gerrard is really inportant, but not indispensable. I think LiverpoolFC's loss at Stamport Bridge is not because of his absent! The first goal is Chelsea's luck and the second is because LiverpoolFC lost 1 men, that's all.

Yes, Stevie is indispensable, however, I've got the hunch that other players, particularly the newer ones are in fear of him because of his enormous reputation while they tried their best not to make any mistake on the field or else they'll end up getting an earful from Stevie. How many times we have seen Stevie shouting at them already. This may have caused some of the newer players to be over cautious in their play and not really demonstrating their full potential on the field. Mascherano as an example, eventhough he's a defending midfielder, how many times we have seen him going forward but stop short just outside the box and made the back passes, hoping that Gerrard or someone else would do the rest and more importantly not to make a mistake. I was shouting away hoping that he'll continue to go forward and try to break down the opposition defence, never mind if he failed but at least he tried. If he could create something from every 2 tries, I'd be happy instead of those aimless high and long balls from our defenders. Going by what had happened before when Stevie got injured, the players expressed themselves more freely and we could see the creativity and fluidity in our play. Having said that, I'm not suggesting that Stevie should get injured and I sincerely hope not to see that but Stevie is older now and should stop his shouting and ranting but gives encouragement instead that would bring out the best in our players.

But I don't really agree with You! It's true that I have seen so many time Gerrard shouting at others players, but I don't think that his absent could make those players play better, I think what all the players try to do is to play without making any mistake, of course, in some specials cases, they need to risk to find chance.

After all, I don't think LiverpoolFC will fall when Gerrard leave, but if he's here, It's always better, right? It's not easy to have such a world class player play for your team!
      liverpooldan87
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts | 10 
      Reply #15: Dec 24, 2007 12:22:05 am
      In a word... instrumental.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #16: Dec 24, 2007 01:50:28 am
       :)  My Man Stevie G is hugely important to Liverpool, a rock in Midfield,  marshalling the back four when Carra's not playing and supporting the front two when he can with his surging runs from Midfield, I just love to see him power his way through defenders as though there not there.

But in saying all this, no one player is bigger than Liverpool Football Club and Liverpool will perform perfectly well with out him when the time comes, just like they managed in the past when all the past greats finally hung up their boots. :(

But I'm sure when the time comes for Stevie to end his playing career at Anfield, it will be a very sad day for all of us, let's just hope he has a few more years left yet and he finally gets to fulfill his dream of lifting that elusive Premiership title before he does. :)
      liverpooldan87
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts | 10 
      Reply #17: Dec 24, 2007 01:52:14 am
      Well said MsGerrard. Lets hope you're right hey.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #18: Dec 24, 2007 02:01:34 am
      Well said MsGerrard. Lets hope you're right hey.

Cheers Liverpool dan, lets hope I am  ;)
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #19: Dec 24, 2007 12:45:15 pm
      Watch t
      Somehow true! Donrafael, Steven Gerrard is really inportant, but not indispensable. I think LiverpoolFC's loss at Stamport Bridge is not because of his absent! The first goal is Chelsea's luck and the second is because LiverpoolFC lost 1 men, that's all.

But I don't really agree with You! It's true that I have seen so many time Gerrard shouting at others players, but I don't think that his absent could make those players play better, I think what all the players try to do is to play without making any mistake, of course, in some specials cases, they need to risk to find chance.

After all, I don't think LiverpoolFC will fall when Gerrard leave, but if he's here, It's always better, right? It's not easy to have such a world class player play for your team!

Watch the great Liverpoool sides of the past will explain better what i'm talking about, perhaps then the players are almost the same (high) standard and needs no shouting as everyone player knows their job well and what is expected of them.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #20: Dec 24, 2007 05:14:47 pm
      Sorry, seem like I mistook what did You mean, after all, do you think Gerrard is important too (or indispensable, at least, for now).
      SPARKYMK
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 24, 2007 05:54:12 pm
      Stevie is a World class player and it would be a miss to any team to have their world class player/s missing. But can we do without him...I think it depends where he plays. I would rather Stevie not play at all than play in central midfield as 1 of 2. This role needs him to get from box to box which essentially means 50% of his time he is in his own half defending OR 50% of his time not attacking and this is NOT where we need him.....Stevie needs to spend 80-100% of his time in the attacking half and not have any real defensive duties to worry about. So my position is this - as 1 of 2 CM players he IS dispensible, play as a roamer or behind the front 2 etc etc then he is devastating and there is no one in the world as influential and inspirational.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #22: Dec 24, 2007 08:20:46 pm
      How important is he, well i will repeat what others have said, he is a world class player who when he does play always gives us a chance of winning the game even if he has a poor game he has so much talent that a peice of magic can turn a game. also sometimes it seems as if gerrard decides that he is not going to loose and nearly always he guarentees this

Quick Reply