Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

José "Pepe" Reina (Liverpool -> Bayern Munich -> Napoli)

Read 236441 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Jose Reina Player Thread
      Reply #2530: Aug 04, 2014 12:26:01 pm
      Reina would rather Liverpool receive nothing for him, so that he can keep his £100k pw wages, Liverpool want him to drop his wages, so that they can get some money for him.

One argument would be why should we pay him £100k pw when no one else seems willing to? While the other argument is if we are forced to pay him £100k pw we may as well use him. Save whatever money we are paying Jones (sorry Brad)and let Pepe and Mignolet compete for the shirt.

Sadly I think the only real option is the Aquilani solution .... agree that part of Pepe's wages comes out of the fee (which becomes basically a free transfer) and just take the hit.

I presume the contract termination would mean we would have to pay Pepe a lump sum.
      irishpool
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      • 1990 world cup, Ireland = England b team
      Reply #2531: Aug 04, 2014 12:30:40 pm
      does everyone have 1 or 2 seasons memory,???????
      seriously pepe was of to barca, that was 99% certain then there keeper did a u-turn and said he stay another year!
      pepe was gone in his mind, jumping ship and( obviouly not, looking at these comments) every supporter knew, as well the players around him, and the boss knew it!
       thats the main,only reason! brendan wants people commited to the cause end of!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2532: Aug 04, 2014 12:36:46 pm
      That said: moving Pepe on (even for free) saves the club £11.5m and that's the actual point I was making in response to your observation that "we seem very keen just to ship him out the door for nothing". To the club it's not "nothing", if you catch my drift.

Indeed.

Saving that massive wages is why we will let him go for 'nothing' but you're right in real terms the club will save a fortune.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2533: Aug 04, 2014 12:38:06 pm
      I'm not so sure it's totally financial in Pepe's case Mouse.

May be wrong but it's a feeling I've always had that Brendan doesn't quite rate Pepe as much as some of us.

BR might also carry a grudge about what Pepe said after going on loan.
      It would seem odd to me that such a people focused person would carry a grudge like that, but that's how it appears.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2534: Aug 04, 2014 12:45:04 pm
      BR might also carry a grudge about what Pepe said after going on loan.
      It would seem odd to me that such a people focused person would carry a grudge like that, but that's how it appears.

Maybe to show who's boss to the others Swab.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2535: Aug 04, 2014 12:49:45 pm
      Maybe to show who's boss to the others Swab.

Maybe. It's as good a reason as any.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2536: Aug 04, 2014 12:50:43 pm
      Sadly I think the only real option is the Aquilani solution .... agree that part of Pepe's wages comes out of the fee (which becomes basically a free transfer) and just take the hit.
      As you know s@int, the word I often used when describing the Aquilani situation was "clusterfuck".

You'd like to think the club would have learned from it. To believe that; when you [the club/Brendan/whoever] make it painfully obvious that you don't want a player and you need to off-load him then no F***ing club is going to bust a gut to pay good money; not when they can get the player on the cheap but this particular clusterfuck...

If it does nothing else should put paid to the 'theory'/'school of thought' that we would end up optimising Pepe's sell on fee by lending him to Napoli.   ;D
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #2537: Aug 04, 2014 12:52:09 pm
      I think you may have hit the nail on the head here as Mignolet if I remember correctly is on 40K a week and Reina is on 110K a week or something absurd like that.

It's a mentality thing. If you don't have the correct mentality under this manager you can forget it
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,030 posts | 3960 
      Reply #2538: Aug 04, 2014 12:53:33 pm
      Reina would rather Liverpool receive nothing for him, so that he can keep his £100k pw wages, Liverpool want him to drop his wages, so that they can get some money for him.

One argument would be why should we pay him £100k pw when no one else seems willing to? While the other argument is if we are forced to pay him £100k pw we may as well use him. Save whatever money we are paying Jones (sorry Brad)and let Pepe and Mignolet compete for the shirt.

I presume the contract termination would mean we would have to pay Pepe a lump sum.

It is sad mate that we are talking about such a great servant to LFC in such a way ie comparisons to the Aquilani debacle and ''taking a hit'' with regard to him leaving.
       Money is devoid of sentiment and loyalty.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2539: Aug 04, 2014 01:16:31 pm
      As you know s@int, the word I often used when describing the Aquilani situation was "clusterfuck".

You'd like to think the club would have learned from it. To believe that; when you [the club/Brendan/whoever] make it painfully obvious that you don't want a player and you need to off-load him then no f**king club is going to bust a gut to pay good money; not when they can get the player on the cheap but this particular clusterfuck...

If it does nothing else should put paid to the 'theory'/'school of thought' that we would end up optimising Pepe's sell on fee by lending him to Napoli.   ;D

Yeah, I used the Aquilani solution as a way of emphasizing the difference between just getting nothing for the player and terminating his contract which would mean not only do we get nothing for the player but we have to also pay him a lump sum to leave.

Sometimes a clusterfuck is the cheaper option :(

It is sad mate that we are talking about such a great servant to LFC in such a way ie comparisons to the Aquilani debacle and ''taking a hit'' with regard to him leaving.
       Money is devoid of sentiment and loyalty.

It's all about the money now mate. I think both sides know that the only solution is that Pepe leaves, it is just about who pays and how much now.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2540: Aug 04, 2014 01:45:32 pm
      They're good points but I do think there must be something we don't know about the Reina situation as Rodgers isn't stupid enough to know that Reina is at least worth a punt as number two ahead of Jones.

We can blame it solely on money but I don't think that would have denied him a half between the sticks in the US.

He has made his bed and is now lying in it is most probably the view point BR has taken. Those comments when he moved to Napoli sealed his fate.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2541: Aug 04, 2014 02:31:37 pm
      Looks like further proof that he is definitely not in BR's plans, his reported refusal to moderate his wage demands increasingly points to financial issues.
      That being the case the involvement of his agent comes into question; we all know what self-interested, grubby b***ard, greedy individuals they are who generally put short term reward before anything else, to the detriment of the player.

Maybe something to that!

Reports today saying that Stevie has bought Pepe's Ibiza apartment for £400k.

No matter what the grievances is or are between Brendan & Pepe, I'm not particularly fond of the way Brendan is ostracizing and publicly humiliating a fellow human being. What was the point of even taking him on tour?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2542: Aug 04, 2014 02:49:46 pm
      I'm not particularly fond of the way Brendan is ostracizing and publicly humiliating a fellow human being.

It's hardly the crime of the century mate and just maybe Brendan is trying to prove a point after Pepe's exit Napoli last summer.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2543: Aug 04, 2014 03:06:11 pm
      It's hardly the crime of the century mate and just maybe Brendan is trying to prove a point after Pepe's exit Napoli last summer.

I know. But it is somewhat childish and petulant don't you think?

What is it with LFC managers and goalies? :f_tongueincheek: :f_tongueincheek:

Brendan & Pepe
      Rafa & Dudek
      Houllier & Westerveld
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2544: Aug 04, 2014 03:22:43 pm
      I LOVE Pepe... But it's time to move on, would be disappointed if he'd happily sit on his wage on the bench instead of wanting to move for a pay cut. I'm in support of BR here
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,590 posts | 7141 
      Reply #2545: Aug 04, 2014 03:26:51 pm
      I LOVE Pepe... But it's time to move on, would be disappointed if he'd happily sit on his wage on the bench instead of wanting to move for a pay cut. I'm in support of BR here

but he will not be on the bench will he.
      His contract has a value to it so why should he settle for any less.Also Luis made the same noises about moving away last season but BR was happy for him to stay. If BR doesn't want him the club should let him go and deal with the financial issues surrounding his contract as it cannot be good for his team mates to see him marginalized like this.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2546: Aug 04, 2014 04:21:28 pm
      All the best managers have a ruthless edge. Reina was totally out of order with his "letter to the fans" before he went on loan, and Brendan doesn't look like he's going to forgive him. Any player who disrespects Liverpools manager can do one IMHO. Don't p!ss about with the boss, I agree with Brendan.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2547: Aug 04, 2014 04:31:39 pm
      Any player who disrespects Liverpools manager can do one IMHO. Don't p!ss about with the boss, I agree with Brendan.   

I agree Mick and as much as I've loved Pepe over his time here the boss is the boss for me and I've no problem with him exerting his authority when he feels it's needed.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2548: Aug 04, 2014 05:15:32 pm
      I agree Mick and as much as I've loved Pepe over his time here the boss is the boss for me and I've no problem with him exerting his authority when he feels it's needed.

I'm not having a dig mate, just curious as to what your feelings are when a manager makes matters personal - a la Houllier & Fowler.

Because this certainly feels personal and questions will inevitably be asked as to why Brendan didn't give Suarez the same treatment.     
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2549: Aug 04, 2014 05:17:09 pm
      I'm not having a dig mate, just curious as to what your feelings are when a manager makes matters personal - a la Houllier & Fowler.

Because this certainly feels personal and questions will inevitably be asked as to why Brendan didn't give Suarez the same treatment.     

I'm not sure it's 100% a personal issue but more that Brendan doesn't rate Pepe anywhere near as highly as some of us do. Just a feeling I have with no real evidence to back it up.

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #2550: Aug 04, 2014 05:40:32 pm
      I'm not sure it's 100% a personal issue but more that Brendan doesn't rate Pepe anywhere near as highly as some of us do. Just a feeling I have with no real evidence to back it up.

I guess we'll all have to wait for when Pepe's bio comes out then :f_tongueincheek: ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,590 posts | 7141 
      Reply #2551: Aug 04, 2014 05:44:39 pm
      All the best managers have a ruthless edge. Reina was totally out of order with his "letter to the fans" before he went on loan, and Brendan doesn't look like he's going to forgive him. Any player who disrespects Liverpools manager can do one IMHO. Don't p!ss about with the boss, I agree with Brendan.   

Didn't Luis do the same thing though last season .I think the issue is this, Brendan can decide if he wants a player or not but taking him to the USA just doesn't feel right.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,301 posts | 4946 
      Reply #2552: Aug 04, 2014 06:09:39 pm
      Didn't Luis do the same thing though last season .I think the issue is this, Brendan can decide if he wants a player or not but taking him to the USA just doesn't feel right.

What would you do with him Walt?

Pepe is in our squad and getting paid by us so for now he has to go to the US as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply