Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Rafa Benitez: Why the hell would I want to quit this fantastic club ?

Read 2419 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Rafa Benitez: Why the hell would I want to quit this fantastic club ?
      Jan 08, 2008 10:52:27 pm
      Jan 8 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/01/08/rafa-benitez-why-the-hell-would-I-ever-want-to-quit-this-fantastic-club-100252-20323782/

RAFA BENITEZ today moved to quell speculation that he feels he is a "dead man walking" at Anfield.

In an unprecedented move, the Liverpool manager has lifted the lid on conversations he had with sections of the media which he believes lies behind the upsurge in speculation about his future at the weekend.

Benitez says he was forced into taking such an unusual step because he wants his thoughts to be made a matter of public record so the Liverpool fans can know exactly what he is thinking without fear of misinterpretation.

A clearly upset Benitez told the ECHO: "I was shocked when I was told about the stories in the Sunday papers and when I saw them for myself I was even more surprised.

"I don't know how many times I have to say I only see my future at Liverpool Football Club before certain people believe me.

"But I will say it again because it is really important that everyone understands this – I love the club, I love the fans, I love the city and I am very, very happy here.

"I do not see my future at Real Madrid or Inter Milan or anywhere else. I see my future at Liverpool and this is where I want to stay.

"So to see my name linked with other clubs in such a manner, as it was in certain Sunday newspapers, really disappoints me.

"And the fact that the newspapers said that the stories had come from a source close to me is what disappoints me most."

Benitez believes the stories which appeared in several Sunday newspapers stemmed from a private conversation he had with a group of journalists following the regular weekly press conference at Melwood ahead of the weekend's FA Cup tie at Luton.

But he remains adamant that the stories which appeared following Friday's briefing bear little relation to the conversation which took place.

"I was asked several questions about my future," he said.

"I answered honestly, saying that there had been misunderstandings in the past but they are now in the past and that I am now working very well with the club's owners and Rick Parry and we all have the same objective – to do our very best for Liverpool Football Club.

"Then, just a couple of days later, I see quotes that are supposed to have come from me or from a friend of mine saying I don't see my future at Liverpool.

"All I can say is no such quotes came from me and I know my friends well enough to know that they did not come from them.

"So I can only assume that the conversation I had with the journalists from the Sunday newspapers meant something different to them than it did to me. But they were not my words.

"That is why I am speaking to the ECHO, I want to clear up any confusion and put my side of the story."

As speculation about his future reaches fever pitch Benitez knows his position as Liverpool manager will continue to come under intense scrutiny if results do not pick up.

But he still believes the squad he has assembled will continue to improve – and he also believes it will happen under his stewardship.

"I want to completely commit myself to Liverpool Football Club," he said.

"I do not see my future anywhere else because I do not want to go anywhere else.

"I want to win trophies for my club, for our fans and for the people and I still believe we can do this.

"I think back to the Champions League Final in Istanbul, to the FA Cup Final in Cardiff, to the Super Cup Final in Monaco and so many other great occasions and I know just what this great club is capable of.

"The backing of the supporters has been fantastic. As I walked onto the pitch at Luton on Sunday the fans were singing my name and that means so much to me.

"That is why I want to achieve even more success and I believe we can do that.

"There has been so much improvement here over the last couple of seasons and I believe there is still a lot more to come.

"The squad is now the best it has been since I first came here and we have many young players who are only going to get better.

"So I have no wish to be at any other club. This is a truly special club which means so much to me.

"All I can say is that I want to be here this summer and many other summers after that."
      « Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008 12:55:03 am by JD »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Rafa Benitez: Why the hell would I want to quit this fantasic club ?
      Reply #1: Jan 08, 2008 11:02:26 pm
      He shouldn't have to come out & deny anything, but the media's been like a dog with a bone so I suppose he had to. I'd like to think this will end the speculation but unfortunately I doubt it will. This story will probably be ignored by the redtops or some spin will be put on it to suit what they want to write.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Jan 08, 2008 11:14:23 pm
      I think the gutter press have used RAFAS interpretation of the English language to their advantage to make headlines.They have created problems that just dont exist.At least RAFA is wise to them now so that should stop their sh*t stirring,and hopefully when they want an interview with RAFA he will remember who the RATBAGS are and refuse to speak to them. :f_steam:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jan 08, 2008 11:30:57 pm
      He shouldn't have to come out & deny anything, but the media's been like a dog with a bone so I suppose he had to. I'd like to think this will end the speculation but unfortunately I doubt it will. This story will probably be ignored by the redtops or some spin will be put on it to suit what they want to write.

The speculation will never end until Rafa is publicly backed by either Parry or the owners mate. Until then, every little word Rafa says will be manipulated and twisted.

I seriously hope Rafa has learned his lesson about talking to 'journalists'.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #4: Jan 09, 2008 12:12:32 am
      Rafa shouldn't have spoken to the press in the first place but he did.  I feel very sad that the poor man has to stoop so low to reiterate time and again his love for the club and fans. So doesn't that tells the owners something, that Rafa is desperate to stay due to his undying love for the club and the fans. He could have just just walked away like any other managers did in view of the mounting pressure, like Mourinho, but he didn't.  He is brave enough to stand up and fight on to stay, not because of anything else, but for the love of the Club and and the fans. So, I say to the Yanks' please do not push Rafa any further to the corner, leave him alone to do the job, no more speculation about Klinsman, we don't need Klinsman here. With Rafa, we're  doing fine already, just give him more time and money to deliver.

On the other, Rafa should really stop commenting about the owners, they're still be the owners of the club and it'll do him a world of a good if he can quickly and critically examine what has gone wrong so far and make swift changes to rectify situations. He's at the crossroad at the moment. Towards the end, maybe only the results will save Rafa than anything else.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6949 
      Re: Rafa Benitez: Why the hell would I want to quit this fantastic club ?
      Reply #5: Jan 09, 2008 12:59:49 am
      Agree with Eddie.  I look forward to the way the national media spin this.

For one they will be pissed off he went to a 'local' paper.
      For two it doesn't suit their agenda at all.

Tomorrow's papers will make interesting reading.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6949 
      Reply #6: Jan 09, 2008 01:04:19 am
      Here we go..... the national media bullshit-wagons...

The Independent

Headline:
      Benitez shows strain again as he dismisses talk of sacking
      By Ian Herbert

I got as far as the second paragraph before the Indy bullshit washed over me...

In what is now becoming an established pattern, Benitez made an unscheduled attempt to dispel the impression that he does not see a future for himself at Anfield in the long term

On to...

The Daily Mail

Headline:
      I'm not on the brink, says Liverpool's Benitez
      By COLIN WOOD

This time I could only manage the first paragraph before the media spin got too much for me...

Rafa Benitez made a last-ditch plea to Liverpool's exasperated American owners yesterday, asking to be allowed to carry on as Anfield manager.

The media in this country are laughable.  I think you would get less partisan information on the reds on a Man United forum than by reading the papers.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #7: Jan 09, 2008 01:33:27 am
      The fact being that most national newspapers are owned by one large group does little for unbiased reporting in this country does it? So what one does they all do :(
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 09, 2008 02:22:46 am
      The fact being that most national newspapers are owned by one large group does little for unbiased reporting in this country does it? So what one does they all do :(

Its because none of them are smart enough to think of anything else! :D

Now that we have the words from his mouth, I think we can relax a bit. He says he wants to stay here and has no intentions of leaving in the future. The man has never lied to us before. We just need to be patient and let him handle things his way now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Jan 09, 2008 07:11:50 am
      Bless Rafa for coming out and saying that. Forget the English media, we know he is staying and those b*stards have completely lost it.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #10: Jan 09, 2008 08:27:56 am
      There have been various threads opened on this forum about the national press, particularly the redtops, speculating as to the future of Rafa.  I have resisted in joining in the debate about these blatant speculations and non stories.

If you read crap papers you get crap information.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Jan 09, 2008 08:45:03 am
      There have been various threads opened on this forum about the national press, particularly the redtops, speculating as to the future of Rafa.  I have resisted in joining in the debate about these blatant speculations and non stories.

You are right Oldred about the number of threads basically of covering the insults to RAFA and L.F.C. ,I plead guilty to posting on these threads because I feel so strongly about it.Maybe the Mods could put the threads together so as there is just one thread going on the subject.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #12: Jan 09, 2008 09:07:18 am
      We have to stand behind him now. That peice from the echo justifies what I was saying in my other post. IT us against them and now that Rafa has come out and made statements to clarify his position, even those who do not, shall we say think the same way we do but do support the club should also get behind him. As I suggested all along I really beleive this is a conspiracy to unsettle the club so we dont get near the top spot. I sincerely believe we can still win the EPL and I hope that the players can now show all they are worth on the pitch and ram all the bullshit from the media back down their grubby little throats.

I totally agree oldred, personnally I have tried to make one post to clarify my opion, just make a topic and put your own thoughts about everything in it.

I agree Eddie the thing is Rafa has too much class for them and is more intelligent than what they like. Unlike Jose they cant dote on his every word making it easier for them to write their F***ing headlines. They are just looking for something to do to justify their overrated salaries.

I think the gutter press have used RAFAS interpretation of the English language to their advantage to make headlines.They have created problems that just dont exist.At least RAFA is wise to them now so that should stop their sh*t stirring,and hopefully when they want an interview with RAFA he will remember who the RATBAGS are and refuse to speak to them. :f_steam:

That just about sums up their so called investigative journalist skills doesnt it. But its not just the language they misinterpret how many times has the bullshit wagon surfaced when someone speaks perfectly good english. No matter what Rafa says they will pretty much print in words what they want, then take the lawsuits on the chin. It would make interesting reading actually how much money the papers had to pay out last year in lawsuits because of the bullshit they print.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Jan 09, 2008 09:43:18 am
      The "Rafa Pleading for his job " story has even spread to the Times, its like a virus.
      This is turning into an all out feeding frenzy!!  More than likely its exactally what the football and media establishment set out to achieve!!
      For us its not just about winning games and hopefully the league again, we've also got to battle these invidious cu*ts as well!!
      Its like brushing water up hill!!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #14: Jan 09, 2008 10:51:12 am
      Why doesn't Parry just back Rafa up and life can go on?

That is the bit that bemuses me, Rafa always left on his own with the press, in a 2nd language and swimming against the tide of vultures...

Come on Parry, G&H - get your act together... stuff it to the media and get behind Rafa, publicly, TODAY!!!!!!

I mean it's not as if Parry is media shy to protect the Yanks or very quickly rubbish stories that question them or there investments...

Come on Rick do the right thing... or is it against your Judas-type principles...??
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #15: Jan 09, 2008 12:58:04 pm
      Why doesn't Parry just back Rafa up and life can go on?

That is the bit that bemuses me, Rafa always left on his own with the press, in a 2nd language and swimming against the tide of vultures...

Come on Parry, G&H - get your act together... stuff it to the media and get behind Rafa, publicly, TODAY!!!!!!

I mean it's not as if Parry is media shy to protect the Yanks or very quickly rubbish stories that question them or there investments...

Come on Rick do the right thing... or is it against your Judas-type principles...??

I may be misjudging this but you don't like Rick Parry do you?
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #16: Jan 09, 2008 01:16:36 pm
      rafa doesn't want to leave, the british press will not be happy until they force another manager out of the game
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #17: Jan 09, 2008 01:18:34 pm
      I may be misjudging this but you don't like Rick Parry do you?

Er... no you are quite right to think that... I feel Rick handled the Pako/Rafa situation (last summer) terribly ...when it could have been saved ...and since then he has only managed to go down in my estimation.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #18: Jan 09, 2008 02:38:22 pm
      The media are loving this Rafas turn this month next month it will be someone else,how long before they are hounding Cappello out?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #19: Jan 09, 2008 03:24:46 pm
      The media are loving this Rafas turn this month next month it will be someone else,how long before they are hounding Cappello out?
      When he gets his first loss as England coach.

I sincerely hope they will eventually get the message (he isnt leaving) in a few months. The poorest pieces of journalism are coming out against Rafa.
      What needs to happen is someone FINALLY comes out ( Parry you tit! ) and says its all good, Rafa has the confidence of the board and is number 1 at Liverpool. Parry is a waste of space and money.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #20: Jan 09, 2008 03:42:07 pm
      Stupid media? Their only doing it because the media know that liverpool only 2-3 players new players away from winning the league.

They know Torres is a quailty striker and know Gerrard is having a great season, an Mascherano is a world class DM and Carragher is a class act at the back, with Renia being a brick wall in goal, and Babel looks a promising player which the media know with a few more addicions to the squad and it wont be long untill we see the title in the hands of are captian every season.

So while Liverpool are having a little blip in form it is the perfect time to start suggesting rafa is leaving and they are brainwashing some of are fans or (plastic fans who only go to finals) to want rafa to go aswell.

The media are just scared stiff cause they know liverpool are close to winning the title and bringing back the glory days of winning the title every season, the media are frighted of this as they are so jealous of are history.

So when we win the league it wouldnt suprise me at all in the media start saying things like torres isnt happy at liverpool or gerrard wants a move to Chelsea.

YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Jan 12, 2008 04:58:04 am
      lfc 4life, wouldnt surprise me if they do say that they want a move away, funny thing is, if we are champions and they are playing every week with their salaries, why move to Chelsea etc. The press are a bunch of absolute dickhe*ds. Their garbage has been the discussion in most of our topics, the best we can do is ignore it. Talk things Liverpool and not listen to them.

YNWA
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #22: Jan 13, 2008 03:39:48 am
      If Rafa left at this point in time it would be a disaster. If he left in the Summer, it would be a disaster. A Disaster. He needs to be left alone. But he also needs to get his own act together. Stop F***ing with the team. Get the basics right. Get back to basics. Get the Center back issue straightened out.

Quick Reply