Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Daniel Agger (Liverpool -> Brondby)

Read 219452 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Daniel Agger (Liverpool -> Brondby)
      Reply #2047: Nov 03, 2014 03:49:09 am
      Agreed.

A true legend Dagger, loyalty like that can't be bought and he sets himself apart from many that have gone before because of that. Should still be starting for us now, Sakho brought in to replace him and now Lovren, neither are an upgrade in quality and you'd struggle to ever upgrade on personality for me.

Sorely missed in my book.

Agree mate.

He used to get crucified for his inabillity to defend set pieces and was an "aerial liabillity' many on here were glad to see the back of him. With 40m to adress the central defensive conundrum we have seemed to regress in that department.

Had offers from Barca and City and never had his head turned I would say probably 95% of the current squad would jump at the same opportunity.

Deserved a testimony or a mosaic in the Kop at least instead was farmed out like a nobody.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #2048: Nov 03, 2014 11:13:18 am
      Deserved a testimony or a mosaic in the Kop at least instead was farmed out like a nobody.
      This Sums it up.People complain why do players leave us when a offer from Barca or Madrid comes.The one who did stay shipped out like nothing.BR and the owners should've been more respectful to him just for his Loyalty.I'm sure he would've stayed here for even more years.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2049: Nov 03, 2014 12:20:32 pm
      As much as I rated Agger, only once did he manage more than 25 league games in a season, you're looking to replace him for a 1/3 plus of your games most seasons.  I can't have a go at Johnson for the similar reason and say it's not an issue for Agger, when it so clearly was.  Johnson should have been out the door first though.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2050: Nov 03, 2014 10:27:05 pm
      As much as I rated Agger, only once did he manage more than 25 league games in a season, you're looking to replace him for a 1/3 plus of your games most seasons.  I can't have a go at Johnson for the similar reason and say it's not an issue for Agger, when it so clearly was.  Johnson should have been out the door first though.

You can add Joe Allen and Daniel Sturridge to that list also, if same rationale as used.

Double standards.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2051: Nov 03, 2014 10:31:11 pm
      You can add Joe Allen and Daniel Sturridge to that list also, if same rationale as used.

Double standards.

Both have been here a lot longer than those two and as I gave them time, I'll give Sturridge time, Allen, for other reasons, is a bench/squad player at best.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2052: Nov 03, 2014 10:50:06 pm
      Both have been here a lot longer than those two and as I gave them time, I'll give Sturridge time, Allen, for other reasons, is a bench/squad player at best.

I thought poor injury records were what was being discussed not the length of their stay or their role, as for Allen I am 100% certain he was not brought here to be a bench/squad player however the said injury record and poor performances have ensured that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #2053: Nov 04, 2014 01:13:18 am

Double standards.

Maybe for Allen but to say that about Sturridge isn't valid. You put up with Sturridge's injuries because of what he gives you on the field when he's out there. No offense intended to Dagger, because I rated him and loved his loyalty and character, but he obviously wasn't "worth" waiting on to get healthy by someone (or multiple someones) in the organization whereas Danny is and I think it's a valid argument if you look only at stats or contributions to the team.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2054: Nov 04, 2014 02:35:12 am
      Maybe for Allen but to say that about Sturridge isn't valid. You put up with Sturridge's injuries because of what he gives you on the field when he's out there. No offense intended to Dagger, because I rated him and loved his loyalty and character, but he obviously wasn't "worth" waiting on to get healthy by someone (or multiple someones) in the organization whereas Danny is and I think it's a valid argument if you look only at stats or contributions to the team.

Hmm 20/22 clean sheets with Agger in the side is a telling stat and reasonable contribution.

If Sturridge comes back in December and goes on a 2 month hot streak where he scores 15 goals and then is out again Feb-May is it worth the wait then?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #2055: Nov 04, 2014 11:59:24 am
      Hmm 20/22 clean sheets with Agger in the side is a telling stat and reasonable contribution.

If Sturridge comes back in December and goes on a 2 month hot streak where he scores 15 goals and then is out again Feb-May is it worth the wait then?

Hypotheticals....hard to say unless it happens. But sometimes a player is good enough that missing time with injuries doesn't matter.

Suarez was obviously worth waiting on with all of his multi-game bans, it wasn't injuries, it was behavior but I would look at that situation to prove the point I'm making.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2056: Nov 04, 2014 12:58:18 pm

If, like Johnson and Agger, he has a couple of seasons in which he doesn't/can't play in more 60-70% of games, of course you have to sort the situation.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2057: Nov 06, 2014 03:05:36 am
      Sorely missed. He brought the calmness to the back 4 whenever he's got the ball too.

He may not be the fastest player but he could read the game and hardly had a bad game.

Won't forget that moment back in 08/09 where he made a mistake allowing Zaki to steal the ball after Reina played the ball to him and put Wigan 1-0 up.

What does Dagger do? Go on a 60 yard run and assisted the equaliser.
      Tadders

• 6,790 posts | 574 
      Reply #2058: Nov 10, 2014 04:44:47 pm
      cold light of day. Sakho 18m Lovren 20m

We sold agger for 3m.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2059: Nov 10, 2014 07:57:38 pm

We sold agger for 3m.

That really is approaching Andy Carroll level of transfer F**k ups.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2060: Nov 10, 2014 10:03:04 pm

We sold agger for 3m.

Manquillo--Lovren--Sakho--Moreno

A back four invested by Brendan. A back four that cost us £50m. How are they so sh*t?
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #2061: Nov 10, 2014 10:05:43 pm

A back four invested by Brendan. A back four that cost us £50m. How are they so sh*t?

In fairness they haven't all played together much. They did against Tottenham and got a clean sheet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #2062: Nov 10, 2014 11:06:16 pm

Those four have never played together though I don't think CR.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2063: Nov 10, 2014 11:33:01 pm
      Can Rodgers really justify Agger's sale in favour of Lovren? I know Dagger said it was his choice to leave and return to them but personally I think he was just saying it to almost save face for the club a bit in the way they treated him. Agger always loved the fans and the club so I doubt he'd have said anything bad about them regardless of whether he was forced out.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #2064: Nov 11, 2014 04:55:44 am
      Can Rodgers really justify Agger's sale in favour of Lovren? I know Dagger said it was his choice to leave and return to them but personally I think he was just saying it to almost save face for the club a bit in the way they treated him. Agger always loved the fans and the club so I doubt he'd have said anything bad about them regardless of whether he was forced out.

No he cannot. Same way he cannot justify sale of Pepe, purchase of Alberto, Illori, Assaidi, not playing Suso, Coates...I could go on.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2065: Nov 19, 2014 06:24:24 am
      let's hope it's a case of short term pain - long term gain. if Lovren ends up at LFC the same amount of time as Agger but without all the injuries then it obviously wouldn't be a "sh*t buy". the management have had a lot of tough decisions to make to build a sustainable squad, something we haven't had in years. it's easy to sit on the internet and criticize everything they've done despite you not having all the facts - it's much harder to be in their shoes actually dealing with these issues.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2066: Sep 01, 2015 02:50:10 pm
      Posted this on his instagram:

Absolute legend, sorely missed from mine and many others perspective.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2067: Sep 01, 2015 03:07:45 pm
      Should still be here, people will allude to the fact that he said he couldn't handle the physicality of the premier league any more, but I believe he went not wanting to speak ill of the club, he's a supporter and loves the club just as much as we do.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2068: Sep 01, 2015 03:21:46 pm
      Should still be here, people will allude to the fact that he said he couldn't handle the physicality of the premier league any more, but I believe he went not wanting to speak ill of the club, he's a supporter and loves the club just as much as we do.

Agreed Daz, I think much more is made of that comment than was intended by it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,349 posts | 6394 
      Reply #2069: Sep 01, 2015 03:23:02 pm
      Would definitely rather him here than Lovren.

Still think that him and Sakho would have been an interesting combination in the back.

Quick Reply