Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 26th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Liverpool FC Refinancing deal

Read 4310 times
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Liverpool FC Refinancing deal
      Jan 25, 2008 07:30:45 am
      According to the BBC website the Americans have been successful in their refinancing efforts.

Apparently they are saddling the club with £160 million worth of debt. The £160m includes £105m of new money - £65m to kick-start work on the new stadium, and a further sum of £45m of working capital, including money for player acquisitions. The remainder is the existing debt the Americans inherited when they took over the club a year ago.

More false promises?? Do you think they will mention Rafa's position and start backing him publically??

For some reason I have my doubts!!!
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 02:21:04 pm by JD »
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: It seems as though the deed is done!!
      Reply #1: Jan 25, 2008 07:38:53 am
      We can only hope for the best. But it begins to look like the buy-out we all hoped for, will not be happening after-all. So Rafa Benitez' position in the club becomes more threatened.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Jan 25, 2008 08:14:13 am
      We can only hope for the best. But it begins to look like the buy-out we all hoped for, will not be happening after-all. So Rafa Benitez' position in the club becomes more threatened.
      If they get rid of RAFA i believe it will be the beginning of the end of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB as we know and have known it for so many years.It is a disgrace that 2 Americans who know zilch about football and the E.P.L.can and do make decisions which can only lead to the complete destruction of a club with over a 100 years of history.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Jan 25, 2008 09:32:13 am
      If they get rid of RAFA I believe it will be the beginning of the end of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB as we know and have known it for so many years.It is a disgrace that 2 Americans who know zilch about football and the E.P.L.can and do make decisions which can only lead to the complete destruction of a club with over a 100 years of history.

Totally agree sir.

These are critical days for LFC - history will prove it to be so.
      redhotrobbie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -16 
      Reply #4: Jan 25, 2008 09:39:25 am
      "With £60m of the £105m club debt allocated to stadium costs Liverpool will be left with a working capital debt of £45m - almost identical to the working debt under Moores."

Why dont you sue Parry for incompetence?  I'm sure there are some lawyers here who could make a case of gross incompetence.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jan 25, 2008 10:34:23 am
      Probably make some signings to sweeten it up for the fans and seem like nice men.
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #6: Jan 25, 2008 11:08:34 am
      I hope the sign Mash fast!!
      Lotuskid
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #7: Jan 25, 2008 11:16:21 am
      So am i right in thinking that before the takeover we were £45m or so in debt, and now we're £160m in debt?????????

Geeeez we're SOOOOOO much better off with billionaire owners....

Lets get OJ Simpsons lawyer on the case...
      Shanklys Ghost
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 25, 2008 11:22:04 am
      AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL LIVERPOOL SUPPORTERS

Yesterday was a day that will go down in infamy in the history of Liverpool Football Club. Yesterday was the day that the stewardship of our beloved club by two most undesirable proprietors was sealed. Yesterday was the day that Liverpool Football Club lost its soul.

I have stood and sat in the Kop for fifty years, through its greatest, its humblest (some on here may not realise we were in the old second division within the living memory of most Liverpool supporters) and most tragic times. I have witnessed all our major triumphs and all our humbling defeats. But now no more. This, my fellow Reds, is the end of the line for me.

Unlike many of those who resisted the takeover of Manchester United by the Glazer family I am not set against Americans per se owning our club. It is these particular Americans that I am opposed to for obvious reasons (it was educational to hear that former Chairman of Aston Villa, Doug Ellis, was prepared to accept a lower offer for his shares from Randy Lerner rather than allow Gillett gain control of the club). And make no mistake HICKS &GILLETT are in this now for the long haul – no matter how many REDS are left sleeping on bare mattresses!

What we are witnessing now is the birth of a commercial sports franchise the hub of whose operations will just happen to be within the City of Liverpool. It will be about as Scouse as any Merseyside branch of Tesco or Sainsbury. And worse still, as we have already become aware, our new and most unwelcome owners will do this in a way so underhanded that it would make MI6 blush.

But I haven’t ventured on to Liverpool fan websites for the first time in my life simply to deliver an ‘I Quit’ ultimatum. I have come here to say that ANY Liverpool fan that continues to go to matches is propping up the current regime. Boycotting the odd match here or there will not make the individual fan any less of a collaborator. S/he has to be ready to abstain from match attendance for the duration.

Unfortunately, the outlook for this kind of protest, at first sight, is not encouraging. Barely 300 people failed to renew their season tickets at Old Trafford after the Glazers took over. And those who stayed but decided to boycott club merchandise (and hypocritically vandalise the property of Manchester United executives) couldn’t prevent the clubs turnover reaching a record £250m last year (NB the 76% here who stated they would reduce their financial commitment to LFC should H&G remain).

The formation of an opposition football club on the other hand appears slightly more promising. Playing well outside Manchester at Bury’s Gigg Lane ground, FC United of Manchester regularly commands gates in excess of 3,000. More importantly, the dissidents are not only sticking with their new creation – they are growing in number.

There is much we can learn from the experience of Man U fans who opposed the Glazer takeover. I believe that we could make a sustained boycott of Liverpool FC much more effective and that a new club venture could be more successful. I believe this because Liverpool is a more tightly knit community with a more distinct identity with a greater appetite for struggle.

Fellow Reds, we are now at a crossroads. Either we can just talk of contempt for Gillette and Hicks while continuing to aid them in their monstrous scheme by passing through the turnstiles or we can sever our ties with their alien creation and reclaim our heritage by forming a new club: ‘Liverpool 2008 FC.’

I call upon the moderators, administrators and members of this forum, with links to the official and unofficial Liverpool Supporters Clubs and Associations to lobby your committees and officers to convene within a month an open meeting in a local public venue to discuss the topics that I have just raised: namely the launch of a long term boycott of ALL Liverpool FC fixtures and the establishment of a new association football club, ‘Liverpool 2008 FC.’

I hereby authorise all those who sympathise with the opinions expressed herein to reproduce them for a wider audience.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,361 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #9: Jan 25, 2008 11:53:46 am
      why give up our club cos of these 2 pr**ks. I turn 30 this year and for 25 of those 30 years ive been a fan of Liverpool Fc. Ive seen the success ive seen the heartache of the barren yeras and sadly ive seen the disasters. Ive seen brilliant players come and go and managers coaches etc etc. To me there is not another club like ours in the world how could there be. There is something about it I dont know what it is its more then a football club that you hope wins a game on a Saturday or Sunday. I as im sure we all do somehow feel like Im part of the club as silly as that might sound. I feel part of a Liverpool Fc family that means everything to me. In fact my love for the club has spread to being for the city of Liverpool also

Now tell me why I should turn my back on all that just because two yanks want to try and ruin it. As I stated yesterday hit these boys in the pocket by not buying ANY merchandise not so much as a cup of tea. Dont hit the team by boycotting games dont ruin our unique club.

At times like this I urge people thinking of turning there back to think of everything godd about the club think of its history think of the passion you have for Liverpool Fc think of our anthem

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #10: Jan 25, 2008 02:09:13 pm
      You are all wrong for hoping DIC bought us. WRONG. It made us look really bad, running to the Arabs, pleading..."ooohhh please, please buy us"
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Jan 25, 2008 02:10:56 pm
      DIC, DIC, DIC  :f_whistle:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Liverpool FC Refinancing deal
      Reply #12: Jan 25, 2008 02:43:10 pm
      Boycott?

We'd be worse than the fickle Newcastle fans who were screaming for Allardyce's head not so long ago! And it would just sadden me to see our stadium with empty seats. That's not what we're about.

Form a new club?

And get it in the neck all the time from the Mancs who did it first? Plus, United didn't exactly feel the pressure of losing a couple of 'fans' (see the Premiership trophy they've got tucked away in the cupboard for evidence of that, as well as all the extra noughts on the bank balance! :-\)  Fair do's, FC United of Manchester are doing okay at the base of English football, but why would I want us to play Southport or Waterloo rather than Inter Milan or Barcelona? 

Or more importantly, why let two people make us give up our beloved club we have worshipped for how many years? Think back to Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish. Even Rafael Benitez. 18 League Titles. 5 European Cups. Now throw all that away, we're going for glory in the Conference North! Can't wait! ::)

Our song helps us out in times of trouble! 'At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky. And a sweet silver song of a lark! Walk on!' Why let two men f*ck up our dreams and memories? If DIC come in, sound. But if the Yanks stay, it's still sound. I'm not arsed who owns our football club. I just want us to prosper, and want these massive nights in the Champions League and sunny days in May lifting the Premiership Title in front of our Kop, and for many years to come in front of our new one! Not so much to ask is it?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #13: Jan 25, 2008 02:50:23 pm
      Okay so we are now £160 million in debt.  We are paying £30 million in interest a year.

But that's only the start.  Wait until we have to get funding for the next £300 million to fund the completion of the stadium.  I wonder who will be taking that debt on.

That's right - from a club 'worth' only £170 million a year ago - pretty soon we will be a club carrying nearly £500 million in debt.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Jan 25, 2008 03:01:29 pm
      Okay so we are now £160 million in debt.  We are paying £30 million in interest a year.

But that's only the start.  Wait until we have to get funding for the next £300 million to fund the completion of the stadium.  I wonder who will be taking that debt on.

That's right - from a club 'worth' only £170 million a year ago - pretty soon we will be a club carrying nearly £500 million in debt.

Pathetic isn't it?

Considering they basically used our money to buy the club too, it's a pretty sh*t situation to be in! :-\
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #15: Jan 25, 2008 03:18:16 pm
      Done. And Dusted.

Reds seal £350 million refinancing

Liverpool's owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have announced the successful completion of a £350m financing package.

The pair have also come out in support of manager Rafa Benitez, stating they are "solidly behind" the Reds' boss.

The news was revealed in a statement from Kop Football Holdings (Ltd).

Co-owner Hicks said: "This new financing package is a strong vote of confidence in the club's financial strength and a recognition of the exceptional opportunity represented by the construction of the Club's new state-of-the-art stadium at Stanley Park.

"The successful completion of this financing package is particularly significant in light of the currently challenging credit-market environment.

Enthusiastic

"With the refinancing process now done, supporters can look forward to the timely commencement of construction work on the new stadium and renew their focus on actions on the pitch."

Hicks also went on to say they are now looking to build bridges with Benitez.

The Spaniard's position had been undermined after Hicks confirmed he had sounded out Jürgen Klinsmann as a possible replacement if Benitez were to leave.

Hicks said: "Since the meeting with Rafa on December 16th, at which some widely reported communications issues were discussed, Rafa has been assured that he has continuing and enthusiastic support as the club's manager.

"Reflecting that support, Kop Football Holdings recently approved his transfer payment request to sign Martin Skrtel for £6.5million and is in discussions with Rafa and club management regarding additional player signings this summer.

"Rafa is under contract for two more seasons following this season. I am solidly behind Rafa and am confident of the team's competitive prospects under his continuing leadership."

In addition the club have confirmed Dallas-based architects HKS Inc will design the club's new stadium at Stanley Park.

Stadium

The new 71,000-capacity stadium is scheduled to open in August 2011.

The statement confirmed that of the £350million financing package, £105million will be debt tied to the club.

It is understood £60million will be used to kick-start the stadium and £45million for future player transfers, and to meet the club's working capital needs.

The other £245million will be tied to the holding company level and includes the £60million debts on Liverpool's books at the time of last year's takeover as well as the £185million loan the Americans took out to buy the club.

A statement from Kop said: "The overall financing is being supported by a combination of owner cash, letters of credit and personal guarantees totalling £225million, ensuring that the club remains on a sound financial footing."

Hicks added: "With the refinancing process now done, club supporters can look forward to the timely commencement of construction work on the new stadium and renew their focus on actions on the pitch."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3077872,00.html
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #16: Jan 25, 2008 03:19:25 pm
      Just confirmed the deal on LFC TV - are the last few paragraphs the deaded vote of confidence from the Chairman?

"In response to questions recently raised about owner support of Rafa Benitez as Manager, Tom Hicks today commented: "Since the meeting with Rafa on December 16th, at which some widely reported communications issues were discussed, Rafa has been assured that he has continuing and enthusiastic support as the Club's Manager.

"Reflecting that support, Kop recently approved his transfer payment request to sign Martin Skrtel for £6.5 million and is in discussions with Rafa and Club management regarding additional player signings this summer.

"Rafa is under contract for two more seasons following this season. I am solidly behind Rafa and am confident of the team's competitive prospects under his continuing leadership."
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008 03:23:08 pm by molby86 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Jan 25, 2008 03:20:30 pm
      Simple as that isnt it Tom?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: Jan 25, 2008 03:38:17 pm
      I don't believe him.

I think he's trying to win our trust again.  That they never ever should of.
      Ally
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #19: Jan 25, 2008 04:00:16 pm
      I'm totally lost with the whole situation. Its as clear as mud. Liverpool football club is and always will be the most unique, passionate and greatest supported team in the world and we as supporters of it are so proud of this. No matter who owns our club i will always support it and never turn my back on it. The 2 owners are making a complete  and utter mess and nobody has any faith in any of their words. They may own our club and we despise what they are doing to us but that isn't going to make me turn my back on LFC it ll make me even more passionate and vocal in my support.

Do you think the players want us singing songs to remind them of the sh*t that's going on, or songs that will inspire them to WALK ON
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #20: Jan 25, 2008 05:26:21 pm
      How many World Class players could we pay for £570,000 per week?

4?

Oh hang on - that's our weekly INTEREST bill.

That's right folks - over £85,000 a day to hand back over to the bank before we can even consider buying new players, or paying our staff.

Total disgrace.  :f_steam: :f_steam:
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #21: Jan 25, 2008 05:39:09 pm
      No matter wot happens these guys are just going to keep on saying the right things just to try and keep the fans sweet coz at the end of the day they are businesmen and we are their customers and they need that.

It aint gonna fool me for 1 second and i just hope that all the fans that made their voices heard against villa the other night dont now turn round and say oh lets giv em a chance we have to keep the fight up.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #22: Jan 25, 2008 05:51:30 pm
      At the end of the day they have lied on all three major points we expected from them.

1. Support for the Manager.
      2. Significant transfer spending
      3. Avoiding lumbering the club with debt 'this is no Glazer deal'

Bullshit the lot of it.

Some people seem resigned to the fact that they are here to stay which disappoints me greatly.  Businesses that aren't in good financial positions get sold.  They are basing the future value of the club on the number of paying punters going to a new stadium. 

Quick Reply