Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Benitez press conference

Read 2715 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Benitez press conference
      Jan 25, 2008 05:40:58 pm
      Rafa's press conference prior to the H&W FA Cup game he touched a number of the issues of late.

Maybe an 'uneasy truce' has been called between all parties.

"I was in contact with the owners, they were telling me things, but now I must concentrate on the games. The key is to progress in the cups.

"We want to bring fantastic players to this club in the future, that is the aim. I have seen the new stadium plans, I hope to be here when it opens."

Benitez has received support from Sir Alex Ferguson this week as well as the League Managers' Association.

And he now feels able to discuss transfer budgets - the central issue in the fall-out between him and owners.

He said: "We are working on Sissoko's future, and we are close to a final solution.

"And I am confident that Mascherano will stay with us - the money from a transfer for Sissoko can certainly help. I talked with Mascherano this week and he wants to stay here. I believe he will.

"I must also say thank you to Sir Alex Ferguson for his personal support recently, but I do not have any doubts that we can bring in top players because this is a top club.

"I sat down with the players to talk about the situation. I said it was important to train well and to concentrate on the matches.

"The solution is to work harder, to progress in the FA Cup and Champions League and try to finish high in the Premier League.

"We have two important cup competitions to progress in and that will be very important for the club in terms of money coming in.

"When I came here we talked of having to be contenders three years later. In those three years we won four trophies and have been in finals."

He added: "We are in a very good position and want to be better.

"I have had some contact with the owners this week, we are progressing. We talked about Sissoko and Mascherano, we need to be proactive."
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Re: Benitez press conference
      Reply #1: Jan 25, 2008 05:48:05 pm
      This has to be a positive sign at least temporarily,otherwise he would just blank out the questions with silly answers.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,660 posts | 6955 
      Reply #2: Jan 25, 2008 05:52:30 pm
      If you are taking a positive sign as resigning himself to the fact that these two beauts are still going to control the club then yes, it is positive.

I take the whole day as a huge negative which upsets me a lot.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Jan 25, 2008 08:52:57 pm
      I was just talking about Rafa's future,nothing else.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #4: Jan 25, 2008 10:10:24 pm
      Raffa makes a lot of sense I just hope the owners will now keep their promises to all because if it's one thing the owners don't seem to have grasped and that is we are family if one gets attacked it's an attack on all.Now let Raffa do his job and back him 110% and we'll move on but trust is going to have to be earned back Mr Hicks...
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 25, 2008 10:28:19 pm
      we can all hope they will keep their promises but i see no evidence of them doing that myself
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Jan 25, 2008 11:02:05 pm
      I think the thanks to slur Alex speaks volumes myself. An uneasy and short truce.
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #7: Jan 26, 2008 12:03:07 am
      I have a hell of a lot of respect for Rafa at the moment, I did watch both the interviews on the official site and he is obviously under a lot of pressure and is putting on a brave face for the cameras.  There's not many people I know who could be so focused on the job in hand with all kinds of speculation about his authority and job future.

At the end of the day though he's human and these things do get to you, if you choose to relay these feelings in a public and underhanded way is entirely upto the individual ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Jan 26, 2008 07:29:35 am
       RAFA deserves the respect of all REDS fans for the dignity he has shown over the last 9 months.It cannot of been very nice for him the way Hicks has continually tried to undermine him. RAFA has shown he is committed to Liverpool Football Club,why else would he have put up with all this crap.After all that has gone it is rumoured that Rick Parry is going to audition for a silent movie,he has been practising for it since Tom and George arrived at Anfield.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #9: Jan 26, 2008 07:43:37 am
      Sissoko will be the victim of a "FINAL SOLUTION"!!!!!!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Jan 26, 2008 07:50:24 am
      Sissoko will be the victim of a "FINAL SOLUTION"!!!!!!
      Dont know about Sissoko being a victim,I understood he was wanting to leave and if it means that we get Mascherano signed up then that cant be all bad.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jan 26, 2008 08:27:24 am
      Billy, this is very bad. If we are relying on sales to buy players then in no way is it positive. No progress is made under the new owners and we are back to the Moores era except worse.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Jan 26, 2008 08:34:38 am
      Billy, this is very bad. If we are relying on sales to buy players then in no way is it positive. No progress is made under the new owners and we are back to the Moores era except worse.
      I do agree with you re selling players to buy players but iI understood that Momo was wanting away so does it not make sense to let a player go if he is not happy. still we have got plenty of cover in midfield ( we must have  if Alonso is not sure of being in the team.) Cheers.
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008 08:41:00 am by Billy1, Reason: Delete word »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: Jan 26, 2008 08:37:01 am
      Yeah obviously we need to sell him if he isnt commited to Liverpool and has his eyes set on a 'new challenge'. Just worried that Rafa stated we need to sell him to fund Masch's permanent move. They could find 17 million in their left pocket ffs!
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 26, 2008 10:32:04 am
      I agree, feels like they shown ther cards a little bit early in this deal. I was also thinking about what happens if Momo got injured down in Africa... does that mean that we won´t be able to sign Mash???
      willowlfc
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 916 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 26, 2008 11:02:04 am
      "I was in contact with the owners, they were telling me things, but now I must concentrate on the games. The key is to progress in the cups.

what do you think he means by "they were telling me things" ?
      Hysén007
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2008 11:25:45 am
      I don´t know but it doesn´t seem good.....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: Jan 26, 2008 11:39:42 am
      Tom: George got a mullet the other day

Rafa: And?

Tom: Huh?
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #18: Jan 26, 2008 03:00:50 pm
      Liverpool FC, Manager and fans, all have to begin to accept fully,the Americans' ownership  of the club. Sad that we might continue to have to deal with this type of issues every transfer period. I just hope the owners wont slow the club down.
      crabbers
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #19: Jan 26, 2008 03:06:24 pm

Quick Reply