Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Tennis

Read 179034 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Tennis
      Reply #92: Jul 08, 2008 09:52:30 pm
      Apparently tennis no longer exists until next June.

Nah it starts again in August with the US open @ Flushing Meadows.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #93: Jul 09, 2008 09:45:38 am

I improvised. For some reason i go for every Spaniard i watch, except Ferrero the b***ard.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #94: Jul 26, 2008 04:48:59 pm
      Murray defeats defending champion!
      Quote from: BBC Sport
      A brilliant display by Andy Murray saw him beat Novak Djokovic for the first time to set up a semi-final clash with Rafael Nadal in the Toronto Masters.

The British number one had lost his four previous matches against the world number three, the defending champion, but his battling approach paid off.

Murray's tactics were spot on as he clinched a 6-3 7-6 (7-3) victory.

Nadal lost a marathon first set against Richard Gasquet in his quarter-final but went on to win 6-7 (12-14) 6-2 6-1.

The Spanish world number two has now won 27 successive matches.

He meets Murray less than a month after destroying him in straight sets on his way to taking the title at Wimbledon.

It is a huge win for me, especially mentally - he has beaten me comfortably a few times in the last year or so

Andy Murray
      But the 21-year-old Scot will be in confident mood after finally ending his hoodoo against Djokovic, the Australian Open champion, who had inflicted heavy defeats upon him in their last three meetings.

It was a fascinating encounter between two different styles of play - with Murray's stubborn defence proving the match of the Serb's powerful groundstrokes.

Murray, the world number nine, broke Djokovic in his first service game and, after opening up a 3-0 lead, easily took the first set.

The second set was far tighter, with both players exchanging breaks, but Murray dominated the tie-break to move 6-1 ahead before serving out for victory.

"It is a huge win for me, especially mentally," Murray said. "He has beaten me comfortably a few times in the last year or so.

"So to win against him in straight sets, especially when he came back really well in the second set, was very pleasing."

Gilles Simon, conqueror of Roger Federer, will face Nicolas Kiefer in the other semi-final.

Simon, ranked 22 in the world, beat 19-year-old Croat Marin Cilic 3-6 6-2 6-3 in an error-strewn encounter featuring 104 unforced errors, 64 by Cilic.

But the Frenchman is confident of progressing further against German Kiefer, who clinically disposed of seventh seed James Blake 6-1 6-2.

"I don't even know what's happening," said Simon. "I'm just so confident, I want to win every match, even if I'm tired. I know I'm playing very good at the moment."

I was up last night and caught the last game of the second set and Andy was truly inspiring.  It seemed that the only points Djokovic could win were the silly mistakes from Murray (of which there were few)

Nadal next tonight (early hours) and I think this could be the right time for Murray to give him a game and a half to make up for Wimbledon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #95: Jul 27, 2008 08:20:54 pm
      Nadal has won the Toronto masters. Nadal can go to number 1 if he wins the tournament next week
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #96: Jul 27, 2008 10:07:33 pm
      Nadal is awesome, I love watching him play, he puts his heart and soul into it.  Don't know where they get the energy and stamina for these games, makes me knackered just watching them !  :D 
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #97: Jul 28, 2008 09:19:15 am
      Nadal has won the Toronto masters. Nadal can go to number 1 if he wins the tournament next week

I know he's 300 points behind now, he's like a wolf that smells blood and hunts down his prey like a trained killer................un stoppable
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #98: Jul 29, 2008 12:33:01 am
      I know he's 300 points behind now, he's like a wolf that smells blood and hunts down his prey like a trained killer................un stoppable

as well as his sheer brilliance I dont think anyone has the mental toughness to beat him now, not even federer after what happened at roland garros and wimbledon.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #99: Jul 29, 2008 08:58:03 am
      as well as his sheer brilliance I dont think anyone has the mental toughness to beat him now, not even federer after what happened at roland garros and wimbledon.

That was the turning point for him I think and he will now go on to reign supreme.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #100: Jul 29, 2008 09:55:10 pm
      That was the turning point for him I think and he will now go on to reign supreme.

without a doubt
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #101: Jul 29, 2008 09:56:57 pm
      Vamos Rafa!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #102: Aug 01, 2008 01:21:00 am
      Federer lost to karlovic today and it was his 11th defeat of the season so i think Nadal pratically has the number 1 spot in the bag (finally)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #103: Aug 01, 2008 08:21:44 am
      Too right! Simply the best. Has the fight, has the speed by the sh*t loads and has so much talent. Best player no doubt, but i'm a lefty so it may be seen as bias ;D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #104: Aug 01, 2008 01:25:03 pm
      Too right! Simply the best. Has the fight, has the speed by the sh*t loads and has so much talent. Best player no doubt, but I'm a lefty so it may be seen as bias ;D

Apparently lefties can get more curl on the ball too and Nadal uses that to his advantage quite well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #105: Aug 01, 2008 04:36:02 pm
      Apparently lefties can get more curl on the ball too and Nadal uses that to his advantage quite well.

Get more topspin as it comes natural in technique and much more kick/slice on the serve. Very handy tool using the left hand, about time a professional uses it to his advantage
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #106: Aug 01, 2008 09:19:01 pm
      Murray Update

Quote from: BBC Sport
      Britain's Andy Murray battled back to beat Carlos Moya 2-6 6-3 6-1 and reach the Cincinnati Masters semi-finals.

The world number nine struggled to reproduce the form that saw him cruise past Dmitry Tursunov in the last round.

He was broken in the first game of the first set and was in big trouble when he dropped serve early in the second.

But he won five straight games to level the match and easily took the deciding set to set up a semi-final with either Ivo Karlovic or Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Moya had looked in complete control but appeared to run out of steam as the 31-year-old played his third match in two days.

He had looked set to deny Murray a second successive Masters Series semi-final place as the British number one's serve was all over the place as he was broken three times in a hugely disappointing first set.

Murray was broken in the first game of the second set and faced break points to go 3-0 down.

But he saved those and went on to take control of the match and all of a sudden Moya looked a beaten man.

There looked to be only one winner in the decider and Murray raced out to a 4-0 lead.

Former world number one Moya stemmed the flow to hold at 4-1 but Murray secured the final two games.

Moya had played twice in one day on Thursday, defeating Igor Andreev and fellow Russian Nikolay Davydenko.

Earlier this week Murray has overcome the challenges of S Querrey (USA) on Wednesday 7-6 6-1 then D Tursonov (Rus) on Thursday (6-3, 6-3) and then former Cincinnatti champion C Moya (Spa) on Friday (2-6, 6-3, 6-1)

Murray will now go on to face either I. Karlovic (CRO) or P. Kohlschreiber (GER) who play later today (20:00 hours BST)

I have watched a few of these matches and I have to say his game is getting sharper and although he focuses more on his second serve, there has not been a real test for him so far and if he gets to the final and plays Nadal then it's game over and No 1 seed status for Nadal.  He has only dropped 1 set in this tournament in the match today against Moya in which he looked beaten, alas until he upped his game in the second and whacked the forehand back like it was a bomb, then it was plain sailing to victory.

Keep it up lad!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #107: Aug 02, 2008 08:58:29 am
      I soo hope Nadal gets No 1 spot, he really really does deserve it. But i don't think Federer will just had it to him, he will put up a fight.

Murray's not doing too bad is he. About time we had a good British tennis player that hopefully will go on and win lots of trophies.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #108: Aug 02, 2008 09:34:58 am
      Nadal has also reached the semi-finals of the Cincinnati Masters!!

From BBC Sport: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7538535.stm

Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal ensured he will take the world number one spot after reaching the semi-finals of the Cincinnati Masters on Friday.

Nadal's 7-6 6-1 win over Nicolas Lapentti means the Spaniard will end Roger Federer's four-and-a-half-year reign on 18 August at the latest.

Nadal, who now plays Novak Djokovic, could even usurp Federer immediately if he wins in Cincinnati.

"It's emotional. Getting to be number one is so satisfying," said Nadal.

Federer's run of 235 consecutive weeks at the top of the ATP rankings was put in jeopardy when he was knocked out of the tournament on Thursday by 16th seed Ivo Karlovic.

Nadal has been right behind him in second place since 25 July 2005, a span of 158 straight weeks.

And with two more wins this weekend, the 22-year-old would trade places with the Swiss, who he beat in last month's epic Wimbledon final as well as in the French Open final in June.

Nadal added: "I am happy because I have been fighting a lot these last three years, although I was happy as number two as I won a lot of tournaments.

"But for sure, number one is a goal and I am very happy."

Nadal's win over Ecuador's Lapentti was his 32nd straight victory, taking him a step closer to a sixth successive tournament triumph.

Should Nadal lose Sunday's final he would top the rankings on 11 August, while a semi-final defeat would delay his coronation for another week.

But he admitted he will need to change up a gear if he wants to progress past third seed Djokovic.

"If I want to beat Djokovic I have to play better than in this match (against Lapentti) and my best match in Cincinnati for sure.

"But the important thing is that I continue to play well and continue to win."

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #109: Aug 02, 2008 10:13:53 am
      Well done rafa (theres something about that name i guess :P) But still.... go novak!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #110: Aug 02, 2008 11:57:43 am
      And its about bloody time! That arrogant, self obessed, show pony is GONEEEEEE! I bloody love it >:D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #111: Aug 02, 2008 04:57:23 pm
      And its about bloody time! That arrogant, self obessed, show pony is GONEEEEEE! I bloody love it >:D

Fed isnt arrogant, he just knows he's the man ::) but novak is better ;)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #112: Aug 02, 2008 05:14:10 pm
      Fed isnt arrogant, he just knows he's the man ::) but novak is better ;)

Ahem I think you'll find NADAL is better ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #113: Aug 02, 2008 10:21:34 pm
      It was only a matter of time until nadal took his place
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #114: Aug 03, 2008 07:59:55 am
      Nadal goes down to Djokovic 6-1 7-5. Disappointing but who cares?! NUMBER ONE! Or should i say, NUMERO UNO!

Quick Reply