Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Torres Injured

Read 6144 times
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Re: Torres Injured
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2008 11:29:48 am
      Nice to read that he didn't want to risk being seriously injured by demanding that he be substituted...

Can't question the man's priorities on that one...
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Feb 07, 2008 11:49:35 am

"I preferred not to risk it," said Torres. "I demanded the change.

"I will have medical tests, but I intend to play on Sunday against Chelsea." [/I]
      This is the level of forsight and commitment all our players should be showing!!
      I can only commend "El Nino"
      Good luck on Sunday son!
      IRWT
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 11:54:18 am by neilh2105 »
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #25: Feb 07, 2008 11:50:48 am
      This is from SkySports.com. Seems like Nando is going to be fit after all!! Here is hoping!!!

Fernando Torres has played down fears over the hamstring injury which forced him off during Spain's victory over France and insists he will be fit to face Chelsea on Sunday.

The Liverpool striker limped off in Seville after just 23 minutes and immediately there were fears that the Spaniard could be set for a spell on the sidelines.

Spain's team doctor Jorge Candel was quick to come out after the game to play down the severity of the injury.

"The injury of Torres is not of major importance," said Candel.

Torres then confirmed that he came off at his own request to make sure he did not damage himself with Liverpool's match with Chelsea very much on his mind.

"I preferred not to risk it," said Torres. "I demanded the change.

"I will have medical tests, but I intend to play on Sunday against Chelsea."

He's still gotta be picked though and you know what Rafa's like!

I really hope he is fit but I can see the concerned boss leaving him out anyway fearing a risk of further injury.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #26: Feb 07, 2008 11:51:12 am
      good news that, lets hope its going to disappear before sunday!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #27: Feb 07, 2008 11:54:53 am
      TORRES: I WANT TO FACE CHELSEA

Jimmy Rice 07 February 2008

Fernando Torres insists he has every intention of facing Chelsea on Sunday despite being forced off with a suspected thigh injury during Spain's friendly with France last night. 
      The striker, who lasted just 23 minutes of the 1-0 victory over Les Bleus, is reported in the Spanish press as saying: "I preferred not to risk it. I demanded the change.

"I will have medical tests, but I intend to play on Sunday against Chelsea."

Torres' optimism is backed up by national coach Luis Aragones, who said: "He has a knock that does not seem important."

Torres will now be examined by medical staff at Melwood when he returns from international duty to determine whether he'll be fit for this weekend's crucial clash at Stamford Bridge.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "We will not know the full extent of Fernando Torres' injury until he is examined by our own medical staff. This will happen on Thursday afternoon."

************************************************************************************

What we don't want is for him to play and aggravate the injury further, and then be out for longer then necessary.

Strong fit lad though so we'll wait and see.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #28: Feb 07, 2008 12:15:20 pm
      Radio Merseyside's 12 0'clock bulletin thinks he will have no problem being fit for Sunday so good news there then, anyway whats all the panic we still have Dirk ;)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #29: Feb 07, 2008 12:30:03 pm
      Radio Merseyside's 12 0'clock bulletin thinks he will have no problem being fit for Sunday so good news there then, anyway whats all the panic we still have Dirk ;)

Problem? Call me up I have a bit of football abilty. Will only just last 2 minutes until I'm out of breath... :P
      Nah Torres will be fit, and he'll scare the living sh*t out of whoever is in defense for Chelsea.. trust me!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #30: Feb 07, 2008 12:32:15 pm

We also have Riise too and look how he's been playing of late (sorry John)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #31: Feb 07, 2008 12:34:14 pm
      We also have Riise too and look how he's been playing of late (sorry John)

haha (sorry John)
      He does seem to put it up a gear against the chavs tho..
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #32: Feb 07, 2008 12:45:03 pm
      Let him come off the bench 50 minutes in while we are beating Chelsea 3 - 0 due to a Dirk Kuyt hattrick.

....  :tosser:

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #33: Feb 07, 2008 12:58:50 pm
      ok ill try and put a positive spin on this disaster

This may now be the chance for Ryan Babel to play up front with Crouch and he may just prove to be in the class we know he can be ye never know. Rush Fowler Owen all got there chance due to others being injured so altough he has played a bit this season maybe now hell get a chance as striker

Y.N.W.A
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #34: Feb 07, 2008 01:14:31 pm
      From LFC Website

Rafa Benitez has confirmed Liverpool fans' worst fears by revealing Fernando Torres is very unlikely to feature against Chelsea on Sunday. 
      The striker lasted just 23 minutes of Spain's 1-0 victory over France on Wednesday after picking up a thigh injury.

B*llocks!!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #35: Feb 07, 2008 01:18:11 pm
      Mind games I tell thee!

Mrs. Grant will be having a good time round about now.  Or no.  Yeah, eew.

Reminds me of Golem flossing his balls...
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #36: Feb 07, 2008 01:21:03 pm
      Mind games I tell thee!

Mrs. Grant will be having a good time round about now.  Or no.  Yeah, eew.

Reminds me of Golem flossing his balls...

Eh??  What are you on?

Could be mind games though. ???
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #37: Feb 07, 2008 01:31:53 pm
      I don't think Raffa will risk Torres with Inter coming up so soon after Chelsea not unless he's 100% and listening to the media this morning they say Raffa says this type of injury normally takes up to a week to heal.

We will have a few injuries on Sunday but so will Chelsea have players missing so with a little luck and good play who knows we may surprise Chelsea......
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #38: Feb 07, 2008 01:38:21 pm
      Latest info from the LFC Website

Rafa Benitez has confirmed Liverpool fans' worst fears by revealing Fernando Torres is very unlikely to feature against Chelsea on Sunday. 
      The striker lasted just 23 minutes of Spain's 1-0 victory over France on Wednesday after picking up a hamstring injury.

The news comes as a major blow for Benitez, who is already without Daniel Agger, Andriy Voronin, Alvaro Arbeloa, Fabio Aurelio and the suspended Xabi Alonso.

On top of this, Javier Mascherano will not arrive back at Melwood until Friday due to Argentina's friendly clash with Guatemala later today.

Benitez said: "We have lost Torres and Mascherano is not back until tomorrow. I don't think it (the international friendly situation) is fair. I think Mascherano will be okay for Sunday but we will have to see.

"The news we have on Torres is that it is a hamstring injury. I need to talk to the doctor but I think he will miss this game. Normally it is a week when a player goes off like this.

"It is a big problem for us." 

It's not looking like it's mind games.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #39: Feb 07, 2008 01:47:38 pm
      Why did this have to happen .....for god's sake , this is the first time in a long time that im going into a big game with no confidence ...this has confounded my fears.

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #40: Feb 07, 2008 01:50:51 pm
      Fernando Torres: I'm determined to face Chelsea

Feb 7 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

FERNANDO TORRES is determined to be fit in time for the Reds' trip to Chelsea on Sunday despite coming off in Spain's 1-0 friendly victory over France last night.

The 23-year-old came off in some discomfort after just 23 minutes but he insists it was his decision to be substituted, and although he was set to undergo a scan today at Melwood today for his e injury will be assessed by Liverpool’s medical staff he is keen to face Avram Grant’s side.

"I preferred not to risk it. I demanded the change," he said.

"I will have medical tests but I intend to play on Sunday."

Echo Link

Look into the eyes not around the eyes...1..2...3....your under
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 02:01:22 pm by Glenbuck »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #41: Feb 07, 2008 02:14:53 pm
      Going to be a tough game with so many injuries. Expect us to play 4-5-1 now :(.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #42: Feb 07, 2008 02:17:39 pm
      Well, I can't say I didn't see it coming...it would be a logical decision given the games which will follow but we will certainly miss him. This takes even more pressure off us, no one really expects us to beat Chelsea given our recent form...this could well be to our advantage.

The idea that this may be a red herring is a tantalizing one but, alas, this time I don't think we'll see our beloved number 9 terrorizing the Chelsea back four...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #43: Feb 07, 2008 02:50:52 pm
      Me neither Saffi. And if it's his hamstring, I'd rather him not take any part. One of his biggest assets is his pace, so if he's not one hundred percent then he'd only risk making it a lot worse.

Injuries are a part of football so if we're without him, we'll just have to get on with it.

Gutted.
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Feb 07, 2008 02:57:21 pm
      Torres Out Of Chelsea Clash

Fernando Torres will be unable to play against Chelsea on Sunday after picking up a knock in Spain's game against France on Wednesday.

The Liverpool striker limped out of the match in Málaga after just 23 minutes and was replaced by Daniel Güiza before undergoing tests on his hamstring in the changing room.

While the diagnosis is not as bad as first thought, Torres will be unable to appear at the weekend against the Blues.

Benítez also bemoaned the fact that Javier Mascherano was called up to play for Argentina against Guatemala and will not return to England until Friday.

"We have lost Torres and Mascherano is not back until tomorrow," he said.

"I don't think it (the international friendly situation) is fair, although I think Mascherano will be okay for Sunday but we will have to see.

"The news we have on Torres is that it is a hamstring injury. I need to talk to the doctor but I think he will miss this game. Normally it is a week when a player goes off like this.

"It is a big problem for us."

Daniel Agger, Andriy Voronin, Alvaro Arbeloa, Fabio Aurelio and the suspended Xabi Alonso are all out of the game at Stamford Bridge, leaving Rafa and the Reds firmly on the back foot.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #45: Feb 07, 2008 03:16:23 pm
      Just typical a meaningless friendly and we lose one of our star players sod the international games,hope its not to serious we dont want to be relying on Kuyt for goals do we?

Quick Reply