Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Torres Injured

Read 6155 times
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Torres Injured
      Reply #46: Feb 07, 2008 04:58:09 pm
      Saw this on SSN this morning.

GUTTED :(

I thought if anyone was going to score against Chelsea, it would be him!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #47: Feb 07, 2008 05:34:45 pm
      Agree Brian....hope Babel gets the nod to lead the line now. He needs this moment. Rafa has to show that he trusts him.....might be the making of him.

JP has to play as he has always done great against VD Cole.

Need a positive result to get the boys up and running again.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #48: Feb 07, 2008 07:42:25 pm
      They have just reported on Setanta that Torres will be out for about 10 days and will miss the Chelsea game on Sunday as well as probably the Inter Milan game at Anfield.

Benitez is absolutely furious about this and quite right to.......as if we haven't got enough problems at the minute, real devastating blow this...... >:(
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #49: Feb 07, 2008 07:54:24 pm
      From my complex calculations. Today is the 7th and he is out for 10 days, the inter milan game is on the 19th, therefore he will be back for that match.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #50: Feb 07, 2008 08:34:10 pm
      Just typical a meaningless friendly and we lose one of our star players sod the international games,hope its not to serious we dont want to be relying on Kuyt for goals do we?

Second time Torres has got injured on intl duty - same happened last time...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #51: Feb 07, 2008 08:37:13 pm
      This news (however serious or not the injury might be) is why I just can't quite get into the spirit of international matches especially when they're pointless friendlies in the middle of an action packed season. My first concerns last night were for Gerrard and Crouchy as they played for England. It had slipped my notice that there were other games with our players representing their countries so when I heard about Torres being injured it was a bit of a surprise for sure!

One of our prized assets is now in a race to be fit for Sunday and unless it is a minor injury that will heal in time I wouldn't even expect to see Torres on the bench. Rafa knows the importance securing 4th spot this season and also the prestige of the FA Cup and the Champions League.
      He won't risk Torres against the Chavs. (unless he's fit obviously but then it won't be a risk!  ::)) We have enough fire-power with Crouchy, Gerrard, Babel, Bennayoun and Kuyt and Lucas if they have their shooting boots on. If Sami is selected he can also pop up with a goal too. Risse might, just might remember where the net is too as he has a decent record against the Chavs.

Back to Rafa's dismay and I agree whole-heartedly with him when he says internationals should not interfere with the domestic season - What good is it if you have players injured and then half a dozen players in the four corners of the globe having a pointless kick-about? Compensation doesn't compensate for anything when the player's is laid up injured missing crucial league and cup games.

Club not country, every time.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery 'Nando.  :kop5cf8koxp6:

if he is out of the chelsea match *touches wood that he isn't* It is likely we will play a 4-5-1 with gerrard just behind crouch.

That's my guess too, suffocate the Chavs in the middle of the park and don't give 'em an inch.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #52: Feb 07, 2008 08:42:30 pm
      To be fair to Torres as soon as he felt it he didn't run another inch to avoid further damage.

I don't think (and certainly hope) it's not as serious as it sounds - he wasn't in terrible pain - but he did feel a definate twinge which is why he immediately asked to come off and slowly walked off holding his the top of his thigh.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #53: Feb 07, 2008 10:49:33 pm
      TORRES INJURY CONFIRMED

Steve Hunter 07 February 2008 

Liverpool have confirmed that Fernando Torres has suffered a hamstring tear in his right leg sustained playing for Spain in their international friendly win over France. 
      The Reds number nine lasted just 23 minutes of the 1-0 victory over Les Bleus before he was forced to leave the field.

Liverpool FC spokesman Ian Cotton said: "Fernando was examined by medical staff when he returned to Melwood.

"A scan later confirmed their diagnosis that he suffered a hamstring tear in his right leg. Fernando is expected to be out for approximately 10 days."

*******************************************************************************************

Setanta hopefully are wrong with their report........just trying to stir it up and cause trouble......

We can't manage without Torres for the Inter Milan game.....so lil cisse hope you're right and he will be fit and raring to go by the 19th.

Get better and fit soon Fernando :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #54: Feb 07, 2008 10:51:38 pm
      Rafa wont risk him like against arsenal as it just made it worse last time and was out for near on a month. And we have kuyt :) i mean its not like he has trouble scoring from distances as close as 6 yards :)

Yh were screwed if torres dont play. this is crouch', babel' and kuyt's chance to prove they deserve to be torres' partner.

I like it when we are underdogs because it makes the victory much sweeter:)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #55: Feb 07, 2008 10:58:18 pm
      This is a total kick in the bollocks.
      And why the F**k are there International friendlies in probably the most busiest part of the domestic season? With FA Cup games, Premiership games and Champions League games to be soon comming up.. why the F**k are there pointless International games in between them?

Benitez is right, when you go on International duty the players training changes, their diets change and there workouts are a lot different.. what the F**k is the point in this?

Is it not possible for Benitez or any manager to put International restrictions on there football players during the domestic season if NOT an important game for their countries.. eg like friendlies as we know they are NOT important.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #56: Feb 07, 2008 11:14:35 pm
      It is a kick in the bollocks without a doubt. But this is a chance for us not to rely on Torres. I've been worried for a while now we're becoming to reliant on him - like we have been for a good few seasons with Gerrard.

Whoever is picked to play upfront while he is out injured, I expect them to be trying their best to show we're not a one striker team.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #57: Feb 07, 2008 11:23:59 pm
      It is a kick in the bollocks without a doubt. But this is a chance for us not to rely on Torres. I've been worried for a while now we're becoming to reliant on him - like we have been for a good few seasons with Gerrard.

Whoever is picked to play upfront while he is out injured, I expect them to be trying their best to show we're not a one striker team.

I think this is the reality check needed though, we are a one man striker team. And it's obvious out of all our players that in this moment, making something happen, Fernando Torres is the name we look to because he is the danger man for any opposition team.

I don't think we rely on Torres, not at all actually but I do think he is the player whos been keeping us up there. I think we rely on Gerrard, but Torres is the man who we have to thank right now.

Until we get more quality in the final third, then we can relax more when a key attacking player is absent. For example if Tevez gets injured then Man Utd still got Rooney, Saha & Ronaldo for attacking threat.. who we got? Kuyt? Voronin? In the final third our players lack that champion standard, this is where we need to improve most so we need quality players who can cover injurys such as Villa, Silva etc.. not Kuyt or Crouch
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Feb 07, 2008 11:26:49 pm
      GRRRRR. So annoying.

Red I agree, I don't mind internationals, but not friendlies in the middle of the week! Especially when City are doing ok (ok, we lost on Sat, but we went 10 games previously without losing and were playing some quality football). Luckily none of our players got injured (all 3 or 4 of them who play for Wales :P ) but luckily is the word.

10 days isn't as bad as I first imagined, I was imagining 4 weeks or more!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #59: Feb 07, 2008 11:36:41 pm
      I don't think we rely on Torres, not at all actually but I do think he is the player whos been keeping us up there.

Isn't that just the same as relying on a player?
      Cy
      Reply #60: Feb 07, 2008 11:48:59 pm
      Torres is injured..its bad news but..... We beat chelsea before without Torres and I'm sure we will do it again..Have some faith for God sake..what is wrong with some people in here, we lost Torres and we suddenly become useless against Chelsea??...Nahh..1-2 for the reds still! Come On Lads, and Torres rest and get fit for the Inter game..

Lot's of goal we score Vs chelsea were score by other players then our strikers..so why should it be different ??..Come on Reds, prove some here wrong..
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008 11:51:55 pm by Cy »
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #61: Feb 08, 2008 12:31:35 am
      Isn't that just the same as relying on a player?

Nope. We don't play route one football straight to him, we don't just look towards him and rely on him getting us the results.. but every now and then in the game he'll get the ball and just make something happen. It's not the same as relying on him, he's just a class act who'll make something out of nothing happen and thats what he's done in plenty of games.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #62: Feb 08, 2008 02:04:46 am
      Nope. We don't play route one football straight to him, we don't just look towards him and rely on him getting us the results.. but every now and then in the game he'll get the ball and just make something happen. It's not the same as relying on him, he's just a class act who'll make something out of nothing happen and thats what he's done in plenty of games.

Nope.

We don't usually route one to him. Route one-ing a player isn't relying on him. That's hit and hope. Although I recall Reina setting him up for a goal...

You can't say we don't look towards him though because we do. If you watch the passes to Torres you'll see they are deliberate in the hope he'll make something happen. That's relying on his ability.

Out of all the strikers we have, you'd have Torres in there first wouldn't you? Who's come up with the goods most this season for us? I think you've missed my original point of relying on Torres.

We rely on him and that's why people are not happy he's injured. Now's a chance for other players to prove we are not a one striker team.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #63: Feb 08, 2008 02:40:53 am
      Just heard that El-Nino could be out for 3 games if true it's a drag as the next two games could or will make or break our season also Mascha may miss Chealski game,gets worse still where there's life there's hope.... :(
      Kop-Of-Malaya
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -4 
      • Kop The Best
      Reply #64: Feb 08, 2008 03:31:30 am
      I hope that nino kid would'nt miss Italian job.Who should replace him against chelsea??Kuyt??Voronin(injured)??Babel??
      plsss....no 4-5-1 and put crouch in-front lonely....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #65: Feb 08, 2008 07:46:11 am
      Just heard that El-Nino could be out for 3 games if true it's a drag as the next two games could or will make or break our season also Mascha may miss Chealski game,gets worse still where there's life there's hope.... :(
      Radio Merseyside reckon Torres will be out for the Chelsea and Barnsley games.I think RAFA will play Babel up front and he will surprise Chelsea with his speed and get us the 3 points.It seems Arbeloa,Aurelio and Alonso will also miss the game so it is time for the lads to prove their worth,wonder if Insua will get a run or J.A.R. will play left back.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #66: Feb 08, 2008 07:51:34 am
      From LFC Website

Liverpool have confirmed that Fernando Torres has suffered a hamstring tear in his right leg sustained playing for Spain in their international friendly win over France. 
      The Reds number nine lasted just 23 minutes of the 1-0 victory over Les Bleus before he was forced to leave the field.

Liverpool FC spokesman Ian Cotton said: "Fernando was examined by medical staff when he returned to Melwood.

"A scan later confirmed their diagnosis that he suffered a hamstring tear in his right leg. Fernando is expected to be out for approximately 10 days."

I reckon we'll play 4-5-1 with Crouch up front for the Chelski game.  Barnsley should not be a concern but I just hope he is fit for the Inter game.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,327 posts | 2857 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #67: Feb 08, 2008 07:58:25 am
      depends on how bad the pull was. He could be back in a week to 10 days which would be around the 16th which would be in time for Inter. Get him into one of those oxegen tanks everyday speed up the recovery!!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #68: Feb 08, 2008 09:31:55 am
      Time for Babel upfront against the chavs then. Unlike most on here I haven't wanted to see them together as I think they're too similar, but with Torres out the pace of Babel is a must.

Quick Reply