Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

RIP Bob Paisley

Read 21615 times
      MsGerrard
      RIP Bob Paisley
      Feb 14, 2008 03:11:31 pm
      For those of you who don't know, it is 12 years ago today since the Greatest Manager of all time died.

Bob Paisley.........

The most successful Manager in British Football. His record speaks for itself;

First Division Champions 1975 -76, 1976 -77, 1978 -79, 1979 - 80, 1981-82, 1982-83
      First Division Runners Up 1974-75, 1977-78
      FA Cup Runners Up 1976-77
      League Cup Winners 1980-81, 1981-82, 1982-83
      League Cup Runners Up 1977-78
      FA Charity Shield Winners 1976, 1979, 1980, 1982
      FA Charity Shield Shared 1977

European Cup Winners 1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81
      UEFA Cup Winners 1975-76
      European Super Cup Winners 1977-78
      European Super Cup Runners Up 1978-79
      World Club Runners Up 1981

Bob Paisley remains the only man in history to coach three European Cup-Winning sides.
      Bob was the first English born Manager to win the European Cup.

He also won Six Manager of the Year Awards, and won three First Division Manager Awards and two special trophies.
      In all Paisley would scoop 22 Bell's Managerial Awards.
      Bob won 10 Championship Winners Medals in his various Anfield roles.

He was given the Freedom of the City of Liverpool, and granted an O.B.E. He was also given an honorary degree of Master of Science by Liverpool University in 1983.

Bob Paisley was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2002. In November 1983, Bob was one of 11 people to receive 'Men of the Year' Awards at London's Savoy Hotel.

One of his most famous quotes was "I've been here during the bad times too, a couple of times we only came second"

What an amazing man he was, so quiet and unassuming, my one outstanding memory of him was a television programme I saw which I still have on video, all about his achievements, a very modest man who shun the limelight, and wanted his players to take all the glory.
      He was walking down the corridors at Anfield in his cardigan and slippers, with the Frank Sinatra song playing in the background.....I did it my way.

He did do it his way and what fantastic success he had and I feel extremely privileged to have seen Liverpool during some of these great times.

He spent 44 unbroken years at Liverpool and was replaced by Joe Fagan, another one of Shankly's Boot Room Men in 1983.
      He continued to serve Liverpool as a Director until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in 1992, after his death in 1996, he was honoured by the club with the opening of the Paisley gates.
      He was 77 when he died.

Outside the Paisley Gates, I heard a Kopite calling,
      He said: 'Paisley, they have taken you away',
      But you left a great eleven,
      Back in Rome in '77,
      Now it's glory round the fields of Anfield Road.

Rest In Peace Bob, you will never ever be forgotten by true Liverpool Fans from all over the world.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: RIP Bob Paisley
      Reply #1: Feb 14, 2008 03:13:24 pm
      R.I.P. Bob, a true Gentleman of the game.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Feb 14, 2008 03:31:27 pm
      Memories of this guy are all great ones ! R.I.P. Bob.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #3: Feb 14, 2008 03:57:07 pm
      Awesome, Awesome man! He won so many trophies and he was a fantastic manager after Shanks reign! He loved Liverpool to the core, his geordie accent and quality pressence will never be forgotten.

R.I.P Bob
      5strs
      • Forum David Johnson

• 222 posts |
      Reply #4: Feb 14, 2008 05:37:01 pm
      Bob Paisley was Mr Modest.  Warra Guy! 
      Never To Be Forgotten. R.I.P Bob. Y.N.W.A :'(
      « Last Edit: Feb 14, 2008 05:40:48 pm by 5strs »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Feb 14, 2008 05:39:23 pm
      RIP Bob - a true legend and gentleman x
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2856 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Feb 14, 2008 05:46:52 pm
      For those of you born say after 1986 read closely the lead post by msgerrard. Look at the honours list. Then look at the time span all those titles were achieved in. Nobody and I do mean nobody can compete with that so when you hear sky sports waffle on about Sir Alex Ferguson the greatest manager ever take it with a pinch of salt. The fact of the matter is the best manager of all time may not be a sir in writing but he is truly a sir to us

R.I.P SIR BOB PAISLEY
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #7: Feb 14, 2008 06:09:23 pm
      For those of you born say after 1986 read closely the lead post by msgerrard. Look at the honours list. Then look at the time span all those titles were achieved in. Nobody and I do mean nobody can compete with that so when you hear sky sports waffle on about Sir Alex Ferguson the greatest manager ever take it with a pinch of salt. The fact of the matter is the best manager of all time may not be a sir in writing but he is truly a sir to us

R.I.P SIR BOB PAISLEY

Amen, what a post! Spot on mate!
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #8: Feb 14, 2008 06:13:46 pm
      R I P Bob a true legend YNWA

Paisley the Greatest 22:45 Tonight Lfc tv
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #9: Feb 14, 2008 06:15:14 pm
      A fantastic post from MsG in honor of an iconic man and a wonderful manager.
      Bob Paisley's reign at Liverpool was unprecedented and a a true representation of the man himself.
      Total respect and nothing less...
      Bob Paisley thank you for all you did for Liverpool FC,YNWA

F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #10: Feb 14, 2008 06:19:16 pm
      Fantastic post RED1028, lest we never forget.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #11: Feb 14, 2008 06:28:07 pm
      RIP boss.

There's no words that are good enough to describe how much of a great manager and a great man you were and always will be. There's a place in the heart of every true red for you, forever.

Everyone has to take time to watch these. Part one and two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY1HTLupnx0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAahAaPU1iA&feature=related

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Feb 14, 2008 06:55:25 pm
      Wow, what a man, so humble, those videos had me smiling from ear to ear, and yet I felt so sad watching them.   Love the quote, 'What's your definition of flair ?  Something on the end of my trousers "  - Quality  :D

again RIP SIR BOB X
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Feb 14, 2008 07:55:22 pm
      As I type this with tears streaming down my cheeks  :( but   ;D at the same time, I would like to thank Redkenny and Red 1028 for posting those You Tube video's, they were just so magnificent and brought back so many lovely memories.

And how great was it to see Emlyn  :)

I was on the kop in that fantastic crowd on the day Bob retired, and I can tell you there was hardly a dry eye that day.

R.I.P SIR BOB PAISLEY

He did all that within 9 Amazing years, just incredible really.

I need a drink now, to celebrate the life of a very special man.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #14: Feb 14, 2008 08:01:07 pm
      Nice one Kenny!  ;) Sat here eating me tea and watched both those videos.

Bob' Paisleys most endearing characteristic is that he was so unassuming. That picture with the European Cup and Old Lady looks like he's sat there with a few mates on a park bench having a giggle. Apart from masterminding two victorious campaigns, the biggest in club football, he is just that regular down to earth kinda man.

Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #15: Feb 14, 2008 08:14:13 pm
      From what I have read on here and what everyone else says about him he truly does sound like a gentleman and a great person. Even though I haven't seen his managerial days I would just like acknowledge the fact that he is the best manager ever.

R.I.P
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #16: Feb 14, 2008 08:20:21 pm
      The last bit of that video says it all,THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE EARNED MORE .BUT NONE HAVE ENJOYED IT MORE .BOb rest in peace a legend to us all .. :) :) :)
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Feb 14, 2008 08:40:26 pm
      He was a genius! He did a lot for Liverpool and made us very legendary club!
      He is the best and the most succesful manager of whole British football history. I think not olny of British football, but of the whole world.
      He was always loyal to Liverpool as a player and as a manager. And it's very fine and great he won all his cups with our Liverpool. That I think makes him even greater than any one else!
      I heard he was unlike of Bill Shankly, more quiet, silent and modest.
      What makes people bigger is the thing they don't think they are great themselves.
      He was a great person. I hope his statue will appear somewhere next to Bill Shankly's one.
      He will be remembered forever in Liverpool history and stayed in Liverpool fans' hearts because of all big things he did for us!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #18: Feb 14, 2008 08:48:10 pm
      I just loved the bit in the Kenny's 1st video by Joey Jones when he said

"We were having a shooting session and I played the ball into Roy Evans and he played it back and I hit it and it went over the crossbar and over the wall at Melwood training ground and it actually went through a bungalow window! I climbed over the wall to ask the fella for the ball back and he was going berzerk and I didn't know that Bob Paisley was looking through his office window and he shouted at me "Get in the office!"

When I got in there he made me stand in front of him and he said "D'ya know what" he said "I've been here over 30 years and no one, and I mean nobody, has ever done what you just done!" "You know ya problem don't ya?" I said "What...?"

"He said your leaning back, you wanna get your body over the ball!"

;) :D :D :D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2856 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Feb 14, 2008 08:56:56 pm
      Im very very proud of our clubs achievments on the pitch but what really makes me adore this club is the fact we have had true greats Like Sir Bob and Mr Shankly who have done outstanding things in football but remained so humble the stories that are told about them are amazing.

Was anybody at the spurs game earlier this season when Mrs Paisley spoke at half time? that was an honour to be at I have to say
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #20: Feb 14, 2008 09:00:33 pm
      I found his quotes and quotes about him.
      I know you know them, but I only want to remind them to you a little

•   "If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."
      •   "Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second."
      o   Notes: On his time as a manager with Liverpool F.C.
      •   "Bill was so strong it was unbelievable. You couldn't shake him off the ball. It didn't matter where he was playing, though I suppose his best position was outside-left. He could go round you, or past you, or even straight through you sometimes!"
      o   Notes: On Billy Liddell
      •   "Hey boss, do you think I look like a caveman?" - "I don't know about that, but you bloody play like one."
      o   To Alan Kennedy, dressed like a caveman for a photoshoot. (His nickname was "Barney", after the Flintstone-character.)
      •   "You may have found me mean and thirsty in my search for trophies, but the bad news is the man who is taking my place is hungrier than me. Fagan's the name and I don't think he'll need any help from the Artful Dodger!"
      o   Notes: On his assistant, and successor as manager, Joe Fagan
      •   "I just hoped that after the trials and tribulations of my early years in management, someone up high would smile on me and guide my hand. My plea was answered when we got Kenny Dalglish. What a player, what a great professional!"
      •   "I'll tell you something, they shot the wrong bloody Kennedy!"
      o   To Alan Kennedy after a bad first half in his debut as a Liverpool player.

About
      •   "I owe Bob more than I owe anybody else in the game. There will never be another like him." ** Notes: Kenny Dalglish on Bob Paisley
      •   "I go by records and Bob Paisley is the No 1 manager ever!"
      o   Notes: Alan Hansen on Bob Paisley
      •   "Liverpool wouldn't be the club it is today without Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley and the players who played there. When I first went there it was a typical Second Division ground and look at it now!"
      o   Notes: Ian Callaghan on Bob Paisley
      •   "If Shankly was the Anfield foreman, Paisley was the brickie, ready to build an empire with his own hands."
      o   Notes: Tommy Smith on Bob Paisley
      •   "I was Bob's first signing. He changed my life, as he did so many others. He gave us great memories and you can't put a price on that. He made me an adopted scouser."
      o   Notes: Phil Neal on Bob Paisley
      •   "Bob's knowledge of players and the game in general is unsurpassed. Football has known no equal in management or prize-winning, but his modesty and dignity were overwhelming as he led this club from one triumph to another. His name will always be synonymous with Liverpool."
      o   Notes: Liverpool chairman David Moores on Bob Paisley
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Feb 14, 2008 10:10:59 pm
      Shanks laid the foundations.

Paisley built the House.

Now, Rafa's doing the Garden.

;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone