Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Liverpool v Inter Milan (19/02/2008) ko 7.45pm - Pre match thread

Read 8792 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Liverpool v Inter Milan (19/02/2008) ko 7.45pm - Pre match thread
      Reply #69: Feb 18, 2008 10:06:41 pm
      Rafa: Inter press conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYnLMGm_9A
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #70: Feb 18, 2008 10:44:59 pm
      This is going to be a F***ing tough game, however I think many people around the globe might be supprised by the outcome.

We were doing a lot worse back in 2005 but still somehow we managed to beat the likes of Juventus, Chelsea & Milan with such players as Baros, Biscan, Mellor etc.

Now we have quality such as Mascherano, Babel, Torres etc and if they pull their socks up then there is no reason why we can't totally dominate Inter Milan. I think we are actually a stronger team than Inter, just that we've been going through such a massive bad patch it's made us look like a team that lacks quality even though we don't. So underdogs we may be, but we have more quality than them all over the field!
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #71: Feb 18, 2008 10:56:20 pm
      This is going to be a tough game, no doubt about that, but Inter are notorious underachievers in Europe, and we are always the underdog who wins, so theres one positive!

Seriously though, I'd agree with Eddies line up, we need to pack the midfield, we can't allow players like Figo, Cruz etc any time on the ball, play with a high tempo and DO NOT CONCEDE! If we concede then we are going to have a really tough job going to the San Siro, we need a huge performance tomorrow night, from the players and the crowd.

This is all we got to aim for now, and Rafa's job is on the line, the players need to pull this one out of their arses for him. COME ON YOU REDS!!!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #72: Feb 18, 2008 11:00:23 pm
      We need everyone to stand up and be counted Wednesday no more excuses......

Well actually we need everyone to stand up and be counted on Tuesday, rather than Wednesday cos it will be all over by then mate :lmao: ;)
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #73: Feb 18, 2008 11:19:24 pm
      I agree its pointless playing Torres on his own.  F**k Kuyt AND Crouch off though.  They're both no-marks.

I'd rather see Babel up front with FT.  Actually scratch that - that kid Dani Pacheco is probably one of our most frightening attacking weapons these days.

I sincerely hope Harry 'The Showboat' Kewell doesn't get handed another chance for us to despise him. 
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #74: Feb 18, 2008 11:29:19 pm
      Anybody know if Tom Hicks is sticking by his decision to attend tomorrow's game?

If he is then he may want to take a trip to the bog before kick off.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #75: Feb 18, 2008 11:39:20 pm
      Eddie I totally agree with the line up it is top notch, and also would agree that Inter are not the fastest team around. Therefore one change i would make to tha line up is Pennant for Yosi, as Pennant has pace to burn and Im looking forward to Torres running at Materazzi at 34 years old i dont think he will be able to catch him easily. But i am also certain that he will elbow, spit, pull and hack the sh*t out of him.

Come on Reds

YNWA!
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #76: Feb 18, 2008 11:40:47 pm
      Eddie I totally agree with the line up it is top notch, and also would agree that Inter are not the fastest team around. Therefore one change I would make to tha line up is Pennant for Yosi, as Pennant has pace to burn and Im looking forward to Torres running at Materazzi at 34 years old I dont think he will be able to catch him easily. But I am also certain that he will elbow, spit, pull and hack the sh*t out of him.

Come on Reds

YNWA!
      Well Torres can do a Zizou then!
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #77: Feb 18, 2008 11:45:36 pm
      Is it me or do others feel that we always bounce back in the CL and turn up against the big teams?

Don't know about anyone else but I feel quite confident ::)

RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #78: Feb 18, 2008 11:46:08 pm
      Here is my team for Tuesday :

Reina

Arbeloa       Carragher   Hyypia   Risse

Mascherano   Alonso

Gerrard                               Babel

Torres     Crouch

Hyypia with his experiance of the big european nights is a must start for me. The fact that Inter do not have too much pace means that he should be able to cope well with that aspect of things. I was unsure as to whether to play Finnan at right back and Arbeloa at left back at the expense of Risse , yet i have the feeling that the early cross to crouch could prove pivotal and therefore by putting two naturally sided players as fullbacks will ensure this is a possibility. Mascherano and Alonso certainly have the ability to cut out any attacking play by Inter and this offcourse is pivotal in order to prevent them getting the crucial away goal. As for our attacking prospects , I believe we need to exploit the pace that is in our squad which therefore means putting Gerrard and Babel out as wingers. Although neither is an orthodox winger , they have the ability to cause problems and the pace that they possess will hopefully make the Inter wingers think twice about bombing foword.
      Torres and Crouch is the best partnership available , whoever we play. Somebody called him a "no-mark" or something of that nature in a previous post. The Inter players will certainly be uncomfortable playing against him and maybe will have lack of experience against such a target man. Therefore buying Torres that extra yard of space which he can as we all know use to devestating effect.

We should go out tomorrow , similar to the way we did against Juventus back in 2005.....basically straight from the off .....F***ing get in to them !

Im really going to be positive hear and stick my neck out.

2-0 to the redmen. Gerrard and Crouch the scorers.

Needless to say anyone going the game , like myself , get behind the lads and dont stop shouting to the last whistle.

REMEMBER WE ARE LIVERPOOL , AND THIS IS ANFIELD
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #79: Feb 18, 2008 11:57:20 pm
      REMEMBER WE ARE LIVERPOOL , AND THIS IS ANFIELD

I may be out of line here but to me Anfield seems to be the problem, our away form is very good, its our home form that is not.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      Reply #80: Feb 19, 2008 12:05:56 am
      I may be out of line here but to me Anfield seems to be the problem, our away form is very good, its our home form that is not.

Put a downer on it why dont ya !?

What im saying is we can beat anyone at Anfield. The atmosphere will be immense , Inter wont handle it.
      Let's have some faith.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      Reply #81: Feb 19, 2008 12:16:37 am
      Anybody know why Liverpool were training at Anfield ?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #82: Feb 19, 2008 12:26:49 am
      Anybody know why Liverpool were training at Anfield ?

Most likely Melwood was frozen. Might have done them good to get out of the comfort zone actually...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,681 posts | 6976 
      Reply #83: Feb 19, 2008 12:45:23 am
      Day Zero

That's what today is.

The players have under-performed for the last few months.

Some of the team selections have been baffling.

Tonight we expect to see the players display some pride in the shirt of one of Europe's finest clubs.  Inter Milan are no Liverpool.  Their record compared to ours is miserly. 

I expect our players to walk out there like many other Liverpool teams have in the past - focussed and determined in handing out another European lesson.  I expect another night of pride in the shirt.

Do not let yourselves, your manager, the millions of Liverpool fans around the world and most of all the tradition of our club down.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #84: Feb 19, 2008 08:26:12 am
      I think Aurelio will start this match, if he is fit that is;

Reina
      Finnan     Carragher        Agger      Aurelio
      Pennant  Mascherano     Gerrard     Babel
                    Crouch           Torres

That would be the team I would field anyway. Benitez is very un-predictable though.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #85: Feb 19, 2008 08:32:30 am
      I wouldn't take the gamble on Aurelio personally. Overall I think he's a better player than Riise, but he's the type of player that needs a few games to play himself into form, something he hasn't been able to do due to injuries.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #86: Feb 19, 2008 08:39:29 am
      I wouldn't take the gamble on Aurelio personally. Overall I think he's a better player than Riise, but he's the type of player that needs a few games to play himself into form, something he hasn't been able to do due to injuries.

It begins to look more like Riise is a more reliable LB than Aurelio and Arbeloa. The few matches Aurelio has played, he has not been better than Riise to a point where we can rely on him.

Liverpool (2) Inter (0)

Reina

Finnan Carragher Shrktel Riise

Pennant Gerrard Mascherano Babel

Kuyt Torres

BEnch: Crouch, Xabi, Benanyun, Kewell Lucas.

This is always our strongest 11. Kewell is very good. Babel just needs to play more.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #87: Feb 19, 2008 09:10:23 am
      i cant wait for this game its on normal tv which means i dont have to go watch it at my mates house, i can watch it at home and be as loud as i want! woohoo!!!!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #88: Feb 19, 2008 09:11:56 am
      I wouldn't play Pennant on the right TBH, he is a player who hugs the touchline & offers very little in terms of cutting into the middle. Having watched a fair bit of Inter since we were drawn against them their fullbacks seem to be very comfortable defending the flanks, and seem more susceptible to Benayoun's style of attack, coming into a more central role and forcing the fullback onto their weaker foot.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #89: Feb 19, 2008 09:12:30 am
      I cant wait for this game its on normal tv which means I dont have to go watch it at my mates house, I can watch it at home and be as loud as I want! woohoo!!!!

Think that everyone is getting those pre-match nerves, we've been waiting a while for this match! Can't wait either, I'm wearing my shirt all day for good luck!  ;)  ;D
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #90: Feb 19, 2008 09:23:01 am
      I wouldn't play Pennant on the right TBH, he is a player who hugs the touchline & offers very little in terms of cutting into the middle. Having watched a fair bit of Inter since we were drawn against them their fullbacks seem to be very comfortable defending the flanks, and seem more susceptible to Benayoun's style of attack, coming into a more central role and forcing the fullback onto their weaker foot.

Good point. Didn't observe that about Inter. Good point.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #91: Feb 19, 2008 09:35:47 am
      Good point. Didn't observe that about Inter. Good point.

And neither did I.  Good spot Eddie!

I heard Rafa was after a new assistant.  Might have to start a petition Facebook group for you again!  :D

I would of actually played Pennant from the start but with Benayouns none stop running penetrative attacks on the wing.  70th minute for Mr. Pennant when Benayouns done with tiring their back line out.

Skrtel is fit for tomorrow but I wouldn't put him in.  I understand Agger has been training and I would give Agger a start, depending on how fit he is. 

This is my team to beat Inter.

Reina

Finnan
      Carra
      Agger
      Arbeloa

Benayoun
      Gerrard
      Mascherano
      Kewell

Torres
      Crouch

Lets get match point & save Rafa's job and have a good F***ing night.

Quick Reply