Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

General transfer discussion (Summer 2008)

Read 56601 times
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Are we still a couple of quality players away from challenging for the league ?
      Reply #713: Aug 07, 2008 01:38:24 pm
      In my opinion, I would say we are still 2 or 3 top quality signings away from being able to challenge for the league this year...

We can hear the barry saga rumbling on and on...and by the way i would love to see him and stevie G linking up.

But we still also hear the constant moaning that we do not have any decent wingers, and here is where our main problem lies !

Babel is not really a winger, pennant is complete and utter horseshit and benny cuts in mostly and doesnt go down the wing, so to speak !

all the best teams with effective attacking players have top class wingers...

are we going to get one of these players this year or will someone like barry suffice?

myself i just cant see it, and im not a pessimist but a realist !

i think someone like silva or joaquim would be perfect...

your thoughts...
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Are we still a couple of quality players away from challenging for the league ?
      Reply #714: Aug 07, 2008 01:42:37 pm
      I think we have a very good squad that should challenge on all fronts however I feel we lack a quality natrual winger who will take a ball past 3 defenders get to the byline and whip in a telling cross which could be the difference against the utds chelseas and  Arsenals
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Are we still a couple of quality players away from challenging for the league ?
      Reply #715: Aug 07, 2008 02:06:28 pm
      Now we can challenge for the league but we need a vgood winger 'cos we are playing players off their prefered position like kuyt and babel.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #716: Aug 07, 2008 02:06:56 pm
      i feel we have some good quality players but, and it pains me to say this, we are not good enough yet to break the control of Man United. I do think however, with 1 left winger, 2 right wingers you never know what we could achieve
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #717: Aug 07, 2008 02:33:04 pm
      i feel we have some good quality players but, and it pains me to say this, we are not good enough yet to break the control of Man United. I do think however, with 1 left winger, 2 right wingers you never know what we could achieve

yes my thoughts exactly, we are still some way off the chelseas and united of the world.

its the wide players that cost the money these days as they are so sought after.

see roanldo, van da vart, robben, robinho etc etc

lets hope babel can continue to shine and maybe just maybe....
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #718: Aug 07, 2008 02:34:18 pm
      Across all the top teams these days it seems to be the fullbacks more & more that are tasked with providing the width, which is why I feel we've signed Degen & Dossena, both attacking fullbacks. Out of the top four how many traditional wingers are there? I only count Pennant, Giggs & Wright-Phillips, none of whom got that much gametime last season. Also if you look at the selection of strikers we've got they're not really the type that thrive off crosses, so I don't think we neccessarily need to sign someone who constantly gets down the wing & puts the ball into the box.

I do think we need another wide player ideally though, and preferrably someone who can play on both flanks. My ideal choice would be Silva, who can put in the crosses when needed but that isn't all he can do, and is also flexible, being able to play on either wing, through the middle, or even as an emergency striker if needed.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #719: Aug 07, 2008 02:39:13 pm
      Across all the top teams these days it seems to be the fullbacks more & more that are tasked with providing the width, which is why I feel we've signed Degen & Dossena, both attacking fullbacks. Out of the top four how many traditional wingers are there? I only count Pennant, Giggs & Wright-Phillips, none of whom got that much gametime last season. Also if you look at the selection of strikers we've got they're not really the type that thrive off crosses, so I don't think we neccessarily need to sign someone who constantly gets down the wing & puts the ball into the box

its not just the ability to beat the man and get to the byline but the all round quality and attributes of an attacking player, hence why most top class wingers or attacking midfielders can play in a number of positions, see giggs ronaldo, joe cole etc etc. the ability to go past a man be it inside or out and provide telling contributions is what we need, silva , as you mentioned, is just one of those players, he can go either way, play on either flank and has decent technique and can provide a threat.

and i think torres and keane would thrive off crosses be it along the floor or in the air, its what the winger does once hes past his man that counts !

robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #720: Aug 07, 2008 02:56:22 pm
      i now disagree with you all

i think we NOW do have a good enough squad..........

we just need that bounce of the ball and we seriously need to put the effort in against our main rivals..... after all we were only about 3 wins away from the league last year if you look at it that way (against manu, manu and arsenal)

babbel can be a winger, also yossi, and gerrard and kuyt (we have a lot of midfielders anyway)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #721: Aug 07, 2008 02:56:39 pm
      Out of the top four how many traditional wingers are there? I only count Pennant, Giggs & Wright-Phillips, none of whom got that much gametime last season.

I agree, the day of the out-and-out winger is gone, very few sides us them. They prefer to use attacking-mid in their position who can offer both wide play and cutting it to score goals.

I think with the squad we have right now we should be fighting for the title. I think the addition of new full backs and another game winner in Keane will help us win those games where we need to break down a team who is going to put ten men behind the ball. I think if Babel can take another step in terms of consistently playing well like he did in certain games where he started (Bolton away) and all the time he does off the bench it will be another important figure.

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #722: Aug 07, 2008 04:09:58 pm
      In my opinion, I would say we are still 2 or 3 top quality signings away from being able to challenge for the league this year...

We can hear the barry saga rumbling on and on...and by the way I would love to see him and stevie G linking up.

But we still also hear the constant moaning that we do not have any decent wingers, and here is where our main problem lies !

Babel is not really a winger, pennant is complete and utter horseshit and benny cuts in mostly and doesnt go down the wing, so to speak !

all the best teams with effective attacking players have top class wingers...

are we going to get one of these players this year or will someone like barry suffice?

myself I just cant see it, and im not a pessimist but a realist !

I think someone like silva or joaquim would be perfect...

your thoughts...

Jermain Pennant horseshit?.. Dint think so m8.
      He's the only real winger we have. He's at times inconsistent but definitely one of the best wingers in the prem..
      As i said before, I'd only want to replace him with a world class player like Silva and the only other player in the prem would be Joe Cole.
      I hate it when people say stooopid stuff like "we need a winger who will take a ball past 3 defenders get to the byline and whip in a telling cross". Even Silva wouldn't do that week in week out? Be realistic bruv ffs!!
      Theres only a few wingers available who are better than Pennant AND you can be sure there going to cost copious amounts of money.

I think that the couple of quality players missing this season to help us challenge for the league actually reside in our squad already. 2 seasons and i think some players will become world class, then we'll make our assault!!!
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #723: Aug 07, 2008 04:21:22 pm
      Jermain Pennant horseshit?.. Dint think so m8.
      He's the only real winger we have. He's at times inconsistent but definitely one of the best wingers in the prem..
      As i said before, I'd only want to replace him with a world class player like Silva and the only other player in the prem would be Joe Cole.
      I hate it when people say stooopid stuff like "we need a winger who will take a ball past 3 defenders get to the byline and whip in a telling cross". Even Silva wouldn't do that week in week out? Be realistic bruv ffs!!
      Theres only a few wingers available who are better than Pennant AND you can be sure there going to cost copious amounts of money.

I think that the couple of quality players missing this season to help us challenge for the league actually reside in our squad already. 2 seasons and i think some players will become world class, then we'll make our assault!!!

yes jermaine pennant is utter horseshit - which part of horse manure do you not understand ?

there are many wingers/widemen/attacking midfielders better than pennant - WAKE UP & SMELL UR COFFEE !

this is why we constantly have problems with breaking teams down, we lack the players with great technique who are able to make something happen. -- umm i think these are the ones that would cost copius amounts of money as you mentioned earlier.

i wonder why that is chico ?   :laugh:

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #724: Aug 07, 2008 04:46:55 pm
      Think we still need a left sided player. I dont mind the right i think yossi is great personally and i know we only have enough money for one winger. The left is more of a problem then the right.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #725: Aug 07, 2008 05:09:22 pm
      yes jermaine pennant is utter horseshit - which part of horse manure do you not understand ?

there are many wingers/widemen/attacking midfielders better than pennant - WAKE UP & SMELL UR COFFEE !

this is why we constantly have problems with breaking teams down, we lack the players with great technique who are able to make something happen. -- umm I think these are the ones that would cost copius amounts of money as you mentioned earlier.

I wonder why that is chico ?   :laugh:

Fair enough, I'm not as familiar with "Horse manure" as you mate and i don't drink coffee either but were all entitled to our own opinion i suppose, even if some are exaggerated garbage..

I just find it hard to agree that we can't break down teams just because Pennant is horse sh*t.. Please stick to the script. Theres obviously better attacking midfielders with skill out there but were talking about wingers.. You know, the ones who can beat 3 defenders and whip in a cross all the time.. haha

Ok... Name me a better wideman that provides width who's available right now.

clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Rafa: Yossi & Dirk are staying
      Reply #726: Aug 07, 2008 05:14:49 pm
      RAFA: YOSSI AND DIRK ARE STAYING
      Paul Eaton 07 August 2008 from lfc.tv

Rafael Benitez today responded to speculation linking Yossi Benayoun and Dirk Kuyt with moves away from Anfield and insisted: "Neither player will be leaving."
      Benayoun is reportedly attracting interest from Italian giants Roma while Kuyt has this morning been linked with a switch to Hamburg in Germany.

The Liverpool boss has spoken with both players over the past 24 hours and is adamant each has a big part to play in the club's quest for honours this season.

He said: "It is true that Roma are interested in Yossi. I was talking with him yesterday and told him I want to keep him. He is a player with quality and has shown that during pre-season. I have no more news about Yossi - he will be staying with us.

"I also talked with Dirk Kuyt this morning. I am really pleased with him and he will be staying with us."

That is what I want to hear because both are versatile players that at the moment are one of the best performer players. But I want to hear that also for Alonso.
      « Last Edit: Aug 08, 2008 01:51:29 pm by clint_call01, Reason: spelling mistake lol »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: General transfer discussion
      Reply #727: Aug 07, 2008 06:13:44 pm
      Im talking about youngsters here.

i knew that  ::)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #728: Aug 07, 2008 06:41:39 pm
      Im talking about youngsters here.

I think Lulinha, while he is majestic in the way he plays and a brilliant talent he would get absolutely smothered in this league.

Yea i can see that... but still a top class player can adapt, i think he has what it takes
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #729: Aug 08, 2008 07:46:09 am
      I'm just gonna back robbyr up with his earlier message, because I think he is spot on. A few more player brought in would help and increase competition for places. The only thing is I can't help but feel that we were not that far away last year. If Rafa's rotation policy had worked then great....but it didn't and I think he realised that after a while. I mean how can you leave the brand new El nino on the bench against Birmingham at home and then bring him on later and see him almost single handedly change the game. Rafa knows what he must do this year and I'm sure he will.    ;D

A few... and I mean two changes each week maybe, if that and we could really challange especially now we have the link to the dressing room in Sammy Lee.

As for Transfers now, Keane is obviously the step in the right direction one more would do, maybe Barry but a really pacy and creative winger (Silva) would be the final piece of the Jigsaw.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #730: Aug 08, 2008 08:02:43 am
      I'm just gonna back robbyr up with his earlier message, because I think he is spot on. A few more player brought in would help and increase competition for places. The only thing is I can't help but feel that we were not that far away last year. If Rafa's rotation policy had worked then great....but it didn't and I think he realised that after a while. I mean how can you leave the brand new El nino on the bench against Birmingham at home and then bring him on later and see him almost single handedly change the game. Rafa knows what he must do this year and I'm sure he will.   

A few... and I mean two changes each week maybe, if that and we could really challange especially now we have the link to the dressing room in Sammy Lee.

As for Transfers now, Keane is obviously the step in the right direction one more would do, maybe Barry but a really pacy and creative winger (Silva) would be the final piece of the Jigsaw.

Good post, and welcome to the forum
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #731: Aug 08, 2008 08:07:41 am
      The more and more i think about it, how good would we be with a 4-3-3.

Should we get Silva i think he would be the missing piece in the puzzle before we can switch to the 4-3-3 sometimes, of course this means it would hamper our mids but how does this look:

Gerrard         Masch         Silva

Keane          Torres        Babel

And then you have Kuyt, Yossi, Xabi, Lucas, Ngog and even Voronin who could fit into that. Now this does mean Plessis has no real way to force his way into the side but i think should we get Silva it would add that little spark we need.

PS: I dont mean a permanent switch, just another formation should we buy Silva.

PPS: Buy Silva.
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #732: Aug 08, 2008 01:49:07 pm
      I'm in full agreement with you regarding the boy Silva. He is quality.

As for 4-3-3, yes give it a try at home against the lesser teams or teams with no real threat out wide.
      4-4-2 for most other games.
       I liked the 4-2-3-1 of last year, but only against the top three. This could help soak up the pressure and hit Teams on the break, but usually leads to stalemates and the Isolation of the lone striker but isn't that the way now.

Let's just hope that Torres and Keane will be the deadliest strike force in the prem because it really does have the potential to be.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #733: Aug 08, 2008 02:01:42 pm

Fair enough, I'm not as familiar with "Horse manure" as you mate and i don't drink coffee either but were all entitled to our own opinion i suppose, even if some are exaggerated garbage..

I just find it hard to agree that we can't break down teams just because Pennant is horse sh*t.. Please stick to the script. Theres obviously better attacking midfielders with skill out there but were talking about wingers.. You know, the ones who can beat 3 defenders and whip in a cross all the time.. haha

maybe he wouldnt help my grandads tomatoes grow like horse manure but hes about useful to this liverpool side as horse manure !
      cant score, cant cross, cant pass,cant beat a man, umm, not looking too good for him is it

ok, if pennant was any good, rafa would play him week in week out !
      or,
      people would be clamouring to sign him...

i dont see either of these things happening, do you chico?

[/quote]Ok... Name me a better wideman that provides width who's available right now.[/quote]

ok lets see, name a better wide man than pennant. thats bit too easy chico!
      silva ? hleb ? robben, robinho, bentley? um, ronaldo ? the fella at man city on the left ?
      i could go on as are so many better players.

so lets stick to the script then...

we struggle to break down teams sometimes because we do not have width or decent wide men and cannot rely on babel the whole time.

Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #734: Aug 09, 2008 02:51:41 pm
      maybe he wouldnt help my grandads tomatoes grow like horse manure but hes about useful to this liverpool side as horse manure !
      cant score, cant cross, cant pass,cant beat a man, umm, not looking too good for him is it

ok, if pennant was any good, rafa would play him week in week out !
      or,
      people would be clamouring to sign him...

i dont see either of these things happening, do you chico?

Ok... Name me a better wideman that provides width who's available right now.

ok lets see, name a better wide man than pennant. thats bit too easy chico!
      silva ? hleb ? robben, robinho, bentley? um, ronaldo ? the fella at man city on the left ?
      i could go on as are so many better players.

so lets stick to the script then...

we struggle to break down teams sometimes because we do not have width or decent wide men and cannot rely on babel the whole time.

We do not name our own players horse sh*t.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      Reply #735: Aug 11, 2008 10:24:49 am

Liverpool want Hungarian youngster
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/08/11/liverpool-want-hungarian-youngster-115875-20692986/

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is making a shock transfer raid for Hungary youth international centre-half Otikba Kenneth.

The giant 17-year-old is due to sign for the Reds' academy in the next few days as a deal is thrashed out with his club Bekescsaba.

He will a player for our reserves. lfc have good scouts in hungary.

Quick Reply