Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Inter Milan V's Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 14354 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Inter Milan V's Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #230: Mar 11, 2008 09:52:04 pm
      F***ing get in!!!

That sigh of relief hit me when Torres spun beautifully and scored an absolute worldie past Casar!  Bring on Schalke!
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #231: Mar 11, 2008 09:52:54 pm
      Jamie Redknapp now denying he said Rafa would never win the league... little tosser.
      F**k that London playboy. I'm as happy as i could be right now! That tosser ain't going to spoil it!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #232: Mar 11, 2008 09:53:47 pm
      INTER MILAN 0 - 1 LIVERPOOL
      Tuesday 11 March 2008 19:45 , Champions League Last 16 (2)

TORRES FIRES REDS TO SAN SIRO GLORY

Liverpool have gone some way to laying to rest the ghost of 1965 after Fernando Torres' virtuoso strike secured a magnificent 1-0 win over Inter Milan at the San Siro.

The Reds went into the match protecting a 2-0 lead and despite having to endure long periods of Inter pressure they did not succumb to the same fate that accounted for Shankly's men all those years ago, and will now progress to the quarter-finals of the Champions League courtesy of a 3-0 victory on aggregate.

It was El Nino's 26th strike of the season and a priceless away goal that ultimately killed off the Nerazzuri's hopes of producing their own Istanbul-style comeback.

It had been a nervy start for Rafael Benitez's men who were greeted by a hostile atmosphere at the kick-off and struggled to impose themselves on the game in the early exchanges.

But with the Travelling Kop determined to make themselves heard, they weathered an early storm before going on to create one or two opportunities of their own.

However, the opening 10 minutes of the clash belonged to Inter and the first chance of the match arrived on five minutes when Zlatan Ibrahimovic crossed from the left for Esteban Cambiasso, but the Argentinean's near post effort was well blocked by Lucas Leiva.

It gave Inter the impetus and two minutes later Pepe Reina had to get down brilliantly to tip Julio Cruz's strike from 25-yards just past his right-hand post.

Ahead of the match Rafael Benitez denied that his side would arrive in Milan hoping to see through a rearguard action but as the first half wore on they were forced to defend deeper than they would have hoped, as the Italians poured forward in an attempt to reduce the arrears.

In fact the only sight of goal the visitors had in the opening 20 minutes was when Dirk Kuyt's low ball in from the right found Fernando Torres, but the Spaniard was unable to get a clear shot away and saw his effort deflect to safety.

It seemed to spark the away side into life and they began to enjoy more possession and created one or two notable half chances on the counter attack, with Ryan Babel guilty of some poor control after being sent clear by Fabio Aurelio's raking through ball.

Torres was the next to hold his head in his hands, when he showed the sort of pace that has made him a revelation this season, by taking advantage of a slip from Cambiasso to skip beyond Rivas Lopezin the penalty area, but his effort form an acute angle well blocked by the legs of Julio Cesar.

The game was beginning to open up and on the half hour mark Ibrahimovic slid a delightful ball through to Cruz, who could only watch on in agony as he saw his low drive fly just wide of Reina's far post, after Fabio Aurelio had played him onside.

It was the best chance of the first period and one the hosts would eventually rue.

Both sides then manufactured good openings to secure an interval lead but Dirk Kuyt failed to take advantage after being released on the right side of the penalty area before Reina reacted well to deny Ibrahimovic at his near post, after the Swede had met Maicon's cut back with an audacious flick.

The Nerazzuri were always likely to lay caution to the wind after the break and Patrick Vieria was left to feel the wrath of the San Siro faithful on 49 minutes when his hesitation allowed Liverpool to block his attempted shot after a neat interchange between Zanetti and Ibrahimovic.

However, the expected onslaught did not materialise and the tide turned in favour of Liverpool on 51 minutes when Nicolas Burdisso was sent off for a second bookable offence, following a late tackle on Lucas.

With a one man advantage the Reds began to enjoy more of the play but they had to endure one last scare when a mistake by Martin Skrtel gave Ibrahimovic a clear run at goal.

The San Siro's sweetheart has so often been the hero for Inter this season but he turned to villain just shy of the hour mark when he contrived to drill his low strike just wide of Reina's far post.

Once again it was a let-off that seemed to inspire Liverpool into action and after Gerrard's free-kick was brilliantly tipped over by Cesar the visitors fired the killer blow.

Aurelio's low ball into the edge of the box found Torres in space, who turned Chivu brilliantly before lashing a vicious drive into the bottom right-hand corner of Cesar's goal on 64 minutes.

It was a goal worthy of winning any match and one that capped a magnificent display by the Reds who saw out the remainder of the game without incident, to keep our hopes of a sixth European Cup very much alive.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #233: Mar 11, 2008 09:54:41 pm
      F***ing get in!!!

That sigh of relief hit me when Torres spun beautifully and scored an absolute worldie past Casar!  Bring on Schalke!

I want Manure - bring it on Fergie.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #234: Mar 11, 2008 09:57:30 pm
      I want Manure - bring it on Fergie.
      Would love to see Rafa rip the piss out of him in Europe! You can tell that the mancs would treat it like a PL game and Rafa would play his European style!
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #235: Mar 11, 2008 09:58:10 pm
      my heart leapt into my throat when skrtel gave that ball to Ibrahimovic i thought whyyyy but he recovered excellently.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #236: Mar 11, 2008 10:00:07 pm
      my heart leapt into my throat when skrtel gave that ball to Ibrahimovic i thought whyyyy but he recovered excellently.

Me too fella.  Although I laughed when Ibrahimovioc missed :D :D :D
      Ally
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #237: Mar 11, 2008 10:00:10 pm
      Theres been 2 pics now or torres and gerrard together, one from tonight and the other after torres scored against newcastle. Dont they look happy together  ;)

The league is not over yet. Torres, Skrtel and Mascherano have been the class weve been needing and is proof that Rafa knows how to spend the money! Hopefully itll be Dirham and not Dollars in the summer.

We TOTALLY took the piss outta Inter tonight and at Anfield
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #238: Mar 11, 2008 10:02:18 pm
      Whens the draw?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #239: Mar 11, 2008 10:03:04 pm
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #240: Mar 11, 2008 10:03:49 pm
      Strange that they are drawing the Quater Final & The Semi's.  Not much excitement in that is there?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #241: Mar 11, 2008 10:04:45 pm
      I don't know about anybody else but to paraphrase the famous banner...

That was another great night in with my bird.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #242: Mar 11, 2008 10:05:27 pm
      Strange that they are drawing the Quater Final & The Semi's.  Not much excitement in that is there?

Not really that strange when they have been doing it for a few years.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #243: Mar 11, 2008 10:05:46 pm
      I don't know about anybody else but to paraphrase the famous banner...

That was another great night in with my bird.

Love it JD!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #244: Mar 11, 2008 10:08:38 pm
      Out of interest, anybody know what the Luis Figo story was all about.

Apparently he refused to play?

Anybody.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #245: Mar 11, 2008 10:09:46 pm
      Not really that strange when they have been doing it for a few years.

I didn't actually look at it that way.  Another blonde moment.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #246: Mar 11, 2008 10:10:59 pm
      Out of interest, anybody know what the Luis Figo story was all about.

Apparently he refused to play?

Anybody.

Something to do with him being substituted the other day.  Whining little sod.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #247: Mar 11, 2008 10:13:50 pm
      I am so suprised players do this. How can you refuse to play but i guess we dont know what goes on behind closed doors. Remember Figo was close to joining us.

Just watching SSN, Inter milan fans were excellent at the end of the game i must say they are fantastic for that, most teams would be sour with losing and making excuses or just leaving the stadium but they stayed and applauded our performances.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #248: Mar 11, 2008 10:18:20 pm
      Just had a text from a couple of lads in the "neutral" section of the stadium.

Inter fans shaking their hands at the end of the match and admitting Liverpool the much better team.

Excellent banter. Forza Inter.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #249: Mar 11, 2008 10:21:50 pm
      TBH they slaughtered us until we scored :D :D :D

Thanks to the trusty defending of Jamie, Sami & Skrtel (well just about for Skrtel) we seen it through.  With a fantastic 'out of nothing' strike from the one and only.  Fernando ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #250: Mar 11, 2008 10:23:07 pm
      TBH they slaughtered us until we scored :D :D :D

Thanks to the trusty defending of Jamie, Sami & Skrtel (well just about for Skrtel) we seen it through.  With a fantastic 'out of nothing' strike from the one and only.  Fernando ;)

I thought Skrtel was truly awesome apart from one heart stopping moment which he made up for... in fact I thought he was man of the match.
      Betisfan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #251: Mar 11, 2008 10:34:32 pm
      Hello!

I'm new on this forum. My favourite club has always been Real Betis but I have also followed LFC since I was little, so you can say that LFC is my second club. I enjoyed watching the Champions league match, great goal from Torres :D

PS: Sorry my english, I'm norwegian :)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #252: Mar 11, 2008 10:35:02 pm
      Fukn get in lad!! Awesome performance I am cheering, we totally took the piss out of Inter. Well done lads truly amazing stuff, a few poor individual performances i.e. Babel and some impressive ones i.e. Lucas second half and a MOM performance by the end of the match.

I sh*t myself when Skrtel gave it to Ibrahimovic but that was purely Pepe's fault, Skrtel should never have received the ball in the first place. Anyways congratulations lads.

Only one team i want in the QF F***ing scum bring it on, id love to see that dog Fergie crawl in pain.

Any Rafa bashers about?????

Quick Reply