Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

Ronaldinho/Eto'o

Read 6101 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Ronaldinho/Eto'o
      Reply #23: Jul 18, 2008 01:48:18 pm
      Still dont want another striker, why do we always find a good formation that works for our team then destroy it, it makes no sense and just holds us back from the title. We get good partnerships going for our players then break them up.

If we get our targets, the stevie & torres partnership will not continue next season and torres wont get as many goals with a strike partner, how do people not realise the euros wasnt a one off he is a better lone striker with a am behind him (gerrard). It happened at athletico when they tried to pair him with aguero, its happened at the euros with villa and it will happen again. Why are we making these choices and putting a positive spin on something negative.

FINALLY! Someone see's what i'm saying!

We need goals from other positions before ruining the partnership Stevie and Torres have!

Ex-players are coming out playing the smart ones saying we need more goals from other players and not rely on Stevie/Nando but insist on adding a striker, why? Get 2 guys stuck on the wings who will score goals and also help out Stevie forward. Bentley and Silva, if not then bloody put Hammill ou ton the right and go all in for Silva if money is tight.

Its not rocket science.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #24: Jul 18, 2008 02:10:14 pm
      Still dont want another striker, why do we always find a good formation that works for our team then destroy it, it makes no sense and just holds us back from the title. We get good partnerships going for our players then break them up.

If we get our targets, the stevie & torres partnership will not continue next season and torres wont get as many goals with a strike partner, how do people not realise the euros wasnt a one off he is a better lone striker with a am behind him (gerrard). It happened at athletico when they tried to pair him with aguero, its happened at the euros with villa and it will happen again. Why are we making these choices and putting a positive spin on something negative.

I get what you saying but purely from the speculation it seems that rafa is looking to change the formation either that or Rafa feels he needs major depth but then why would he pursue Barry and Keane and spend the money to stick them on the bench? that doesnt make to much sence.
      all we can do is wait and see maybe Rafa will surprise us all and go all in on Silva near the end of the window.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #25: Jul 18, 2008 02:15:24 pm
      I get what you saying but purely from the speculation it seems that rafa is looking to change the formation either that or Rafa feels he needs major depth but then why would he pursue Barry and Keane and spend the money to stick them on the bench? that doesnt make to much sence.
      all we can do is wait and see maybe Rafa will surprise us all and go all in on Silva near the end of the window.

I doubt both.

Having 40 million sitting on the bench is not what Rafa would want. Going in for a big name late isnt what he wants either, settling in and getting used to the league, he would want him much earlier and train before playing.

It doesnt look promising. BUT one thing that we didnt see coming was Nando coming last season along with Babel. I still have faith in Rafa's judgement, he is the number 1 for a reason.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #26: Jul 18, 2008 02:24:42 pm
      Prefer Robbie Keane to be honest. We can't really pick and choose on the budget we're on though.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #27: Jul 18, 2008 03:58:57 pm
      FINALLY! Someone see's what I'm saying!

We need goals from other positions before ruining the partnership Stevie and Torres have!

Ex-players are coming out playing the smart ones saying we need more goals from other players and not rely on Stevie/Nando but insist on adding a striker, why? Get 2 guys stuck on the wings who will score goals and also help out Stevie forward. Bentley and Silva, if not then bloody put Hammill ou ton the right and go all in for Silva if money is tight.

Its not rocket science.

Thank you. At last someone see what i mean, this is exactly what we need to do, i see it this way, if we bought keane and this season he got 21 goals and torres the same as last year, would you all be happy for him the season after to be split from his partnership with torres, NO you wouldnt you would want the same thing and just some players brought in for the wings. Its the same thing, we cannot split that partnership of torres and stevie its too good. The main point im trying to make is look at the praise the two of them recieved for their link up play together. It provided 54 goals all competitions and countless asssists aswell, they were the main targets for other teams, who they saw as liverpools main threat. They couldnt stop them, the only teams that did were the ones who constantly fouled both of them for 90 minutes and got away with it.

Now imagine that partnership with all those goals and add to it, more gpals from babel, more from lucas, more from yossi, goals agger brings to the side which we missed out on last season due to his injury, goals alonso brings to the side which we missed out on last season due to his injury aswell AND goals from two new wingers plus the extra goals  they would provide from greater service from the wide positions. Its a no brainer, maybe not all of those players would necessarily outscore the total they got last season but its more likely than not that they all will. We just need wide players who will add an extra dimension to our team, as they say if it aint broke dont fix it.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #28: Jul 18, 2008 04:01:37 pm
      I agree that we need goals from different positions but to me it doesn't justify saying we should stick to the same formation all season.. Do people really think that Torres can really replicate what he did..? To rely on that solely probably isn't wise. Options are always a good thing.The phrase "eggs in one baskest" springs to mind!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #29: Jul 19, 2008 06:57:37 am
      I agree that we need goals from different positions but to me it doesn't justify saying we should stick to the same formation all season.. Do people really think that Torres can really replicate what he did..? To rely on that solely probably isn't wise. Options are always a good thing.The phrase "eggs in one baskest" springs to mind!!!

Just like asking, is Gerrard going to be the same great player he is next season? Of course he is. Torres has established himself as the best striker in the world and that doesnt go away over night. The phrase 'world class' springs to mind.

Look at how many goals he scored away from home as well. I think if he grabs 10 away from home then we will see him looking at maybe 40 goals a season or atleast 30.

54 goals between two men is excellent in one hand but on the other, what about the others? Where are their goals coming from? No where. If we thought that Reading game was enough indication to show that Nando is now a target for rough stuff then imagine how bad it will be next season.

We have to add that spark to other positions and make sure we dont rely on a 2 man show. Remember, Ronaldo has the protection of Fergie's comments in the media while Nando and Stevie have nothing.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #30: Jul 19, 2008 01:05:45 pm
      Just like asking, is Gerrard going to be the same great player he is next season? Of course he is. Torres has established himself as the best striker in the world and that doesnt go away over night. The phrase 'world class' springs to mind.

Look at how many goals he scored away from home as well. I think if he grabs 10 away from home then we will see him looking at maybe 40 goals a season or atleast 30.

54 goals between two men is excellent in one hand but on the other, what about the others? Where are their goals coming from? No where. If we thought that Reading game was enough indication to show that Nando is now a target for rough stuff then imagine how bad it will be next season.

We have to add that spark to other positions and make sure we dont rely on a 2 man show. Remember, Ronaldo has the protection of Fergie's comments in the media while Nando and Stevie have nothing.

Great post. Couldnt have said it better myself.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #31: Jul 19, 2008 03:42:56 pm
      But Stevies form has fluctuated over the last few seasons though. It hasn't dropped beneath an unacceptable standard but has still varied..
      He's a midfielder so we judge him on numerous elements to his game. (assists, tackles goals etc..) We take those things combined and work out weather he's having a good season or not. Torres is a striker so we mainly judge him on goals only..
      If Gerrard didn't score any goals but tackled like mad and threaded passes every game we'd still say he had a decent season, but if Fernando scored half the amount of goals he did last season and we didn't have another option (playing the same formation week in week out) we'd be fu**ed!!!...
      Banking on Stevie to have a good season is not like banking on Nando to score as many goals...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #32: Jul 19, 2008 04:16:26 pm
      But Stevies form has fluctuated over the last few seasons though. It hasn't dropped beneath an unacceptable standard but has still varied..
      He's a midfielder so we judge him on numerous elements to his game. (assists, tackles goals etc..) We take those things combined and work out weather he's having a good season or not. Torres is a striker so we mainly judge him on goals only..
      If Gerrard didn't score any goals but tackled like mad and threaded passes every game we'd still say he had a decent season, but if Fernando scored half the amount of goals he did last season and we didn't have another option (playing the same formation week in week out) we'd be fu**ed!!!...
      Banking on Stevie to have a good season is not like banking on Nando to score as many goals...

Just like saying, 'Oh is Ronaldo going to score 20+ plus?' Besides the fiasco off the pitch, he most certainly would and you wouldnt try to look elsewhere for back up even close to his ability.

Is Reina going to keep as much clean sheets? I mean you could doubt any player in the world but 99% of the time, if they are known world class players, they will perform to the same standard.

I think fans are getting abit out of hand. All these 'What if Gerrard/Nando get a major injury?' and 'Is Carra still as good?' questions are pointless. Its just bringing a negative side to our game. Ofcourse these things are likely to happen although chances are slim but are we prepared to spend 20 million on cover for Nando and 18 million on another CM? No. You would be stupid to think like that and are only holding this club back.

Dont listen to everything you hear! People who create these doubts are just looking at things to pick at.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #33: Jul 19, 2008 04:59:23 pm
      Theres two ways of looking at it..

Play the same formation next season (why change something that works?) and try to get a few goals from other postions..
      OR..
      Buy another capable goal scorer (Keane) to have additional formation options in fear of becoming predictable..

Speculating how we'd cope if major injury's occured to our main partnership is NOT being negative m8. To me its common sense.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #34: Jul 19, 2008 05:47:15 pm
      20 million pound back up? Much rather have a versatile striker who wont cost as much. Sergio Garcia anyone?
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #35: Jul 19, 2008 06:20:34 pm
      Like i just said in another post bruv, its not just back up its options..
      But yeah, i agree, 20 mil for Keane?

The thing is, that's what i was saying about Barry in earlier posts.. I suggested that he was too expensive and for that kinda money we should look on the global market. People at the time (possibly you..haha) was saying we need to buy British and that buying foreigners is too much of a gamble..(Torres????)
      But yeah.. *strokes imaginary beard* Garcia is possible a good alternative to Keane..

Thinking about it though, i really want Keane in a red jersey.. just not for 20 mil..
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #36: Jul 19, 2008 06:43:06 pm
      I just realised how completely off the topic that last post was!!..
      err.. I'd defo like to see Eto at Anfield.. Temperamental or not, i still think he's world class... Infact i think he's a beast of a striker..
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #37: Jul 19, 2008 06:51:22 pm
      Like I just said in another post bruv, its not just back up its options..
      But yeah, I agree, 20 mil for Keane?

The thing is, that's what I was saying about Barry in earlier posts.. I suggested that he was too expensive and for that kinda money we should look on the global market. People at the time (possibly you..haha) was saying we need to buy British and that buying foreigners is too much of a gamble..(Torres????)
      But yeah.. *strokes imaginary beard* Garcia is possible a good alternative to Keane..

Thinking about it though, I really want Keane in a red jersey.. just not for 20 mil..

I did back Barry coming and still do but i know when we are being ripped off and when money is better off spent elsewhere. Keane - back up - 20 million - rip off. Barry - looks like Alonso will stay - back up - 19 million inc. Finnan - rip off.
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #38: Jul 19, 2008 07:06:01 pm
      Thank you. At last someone see what I mean, this is exactly what we need to do, I see it this way, if we bought keane and this season he got 21 goals and torres the same as last year, would you all be happy for him the season after to be split from his partnership with torres, NO you wouldnt you would want the same thing and just some players brought in for the wings. Its the same thing, we cannot split that partnership of torres and stevie its too good. The main point im trying to make is look at the praise the two of them recieved for their link up play together. It provided 54 goals all competitions and countless asssists aswell, they were the main targets for other teams, who they saw as liverpools main threat. They couldnt stop them, the only teams that did were the ones who constantly fouled both of them for 90 minutes and got away with it.

Now imagine that partnership with all those goals and add to it, more gpals from babel, more from lucas, more from yossi, goals agger brings to the side which we missed out on last season due to his injury, goals alonso brings to the side which we missed out on last season due to his injury aswell AND goals from two new wingers plus the extra goals  they would provide from greater service from the wide positions. Its a no brainer, maybe not all of those players would necessarily outscore the total they got last season but its more likely than not that they all will. We just need wide players who will add an extra dimension to our team, as they say if it aint broke dont fix it.

One thing I dont understand: Why do you think the introduction of Robbie Keane will totally ruin the Gerrard - Torres partnership, while you keep backing the introduction of two new and different wingers as if they would not affect the way Gerrard and Torres play at all?

In my world, football is a team game, where you cant change one thing in one end of the field without changing something in the other end.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #39: Jul 19, 2008 07:15:55 pm
      One thing I dont understand: Why do you think the introduction of Robbie Keane will totally ruin the Gerrard - Torres partnership, while you keep backing the introduction of two new and different wingers as if they would not affect the way Gerrard and Torres play at all?

In my world, football is a team game, where you cant change one thing in one end of the field without changing something in the other end.

By sticking another man up top, it wont give Torres the space to run onto Gerrard's pass. They create goals, its time for goals to come from other positions before sticking another man up top and thinking he'll do the job. While adding Keane up top will see him score, it will take those goals away from Nando/Gerrard. Get those goals from then wings and other midfielders before separating our main attacking threat.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #40: Jul 20, 2008 02:00:36 am
      Forget Eto'o, forget Ronaldindo. I think we should stick with who we have (plus a few other signings, IDK who yet). I personally don't see where Eto'o or Goat would fit anyway.

Totally OT here guys, but do you think a 4-1-1-3-1 formation would work better than our current? Both Masch & Xabi have more freedom IMO:

------------------Reina-----------------

Degen-----Carra-----Agger-----Dossena-

--------------Mascherano---------------

-----------------Alonso-----------------

Yossi------------------------------Babel
      -----------------Gerrard----------------

-----------------Torres-----------------
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #41: Jul 21, 2008 08:59:12 am
      Forget Eto'o, forget Ronaldindo. I think we should stick with who we have (plus a few other signings, IDK who yet). I personally don't see where Eto'o or Goat would fit anyway.

Totally OT here guys, but do you think a 4-1-1-3-1 formation would work better than our current? Both Masch & Xabi have more freedom IMO:

------------------Reina-----------------

Degen-----Carra-----Agger-----Dossena-

--------------Mascherano---------------

-----------------Alonso-----------------

Yossi------------------------------Babel
      -----------------Gerrard----------------

-----------------Torres-----------------

Push Alonso up, put Finnan at RB and Hamill on the right and i think it would be a brilliant line up. Many would know thats my preferred formation.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42: Jul 21, 2008 03:44:51 pm
      ^^^^^^

why hamill???

Eto'o has said that Inter Milan, Chelsea and Spurs want him and seeing as Spurs are involved expect to hear a complaint of him being tapped up soon :D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #43: Jul 23, 2008 04:15:21 am

Out of the players we have right now he would be my choice. Of course if a new winger comes in then they will be given the crack but right now between Jermaine, Yossi and Adam, he has the best all round game for the right wing IMO.

Quick Reply