Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are you happy for us to be going after David Bentley?

Yes. Very good player with great potential.
      51 (60.7%)
      No. We could do better going after someone else.
      19 (22.6%)
      Undecided.
      14 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 83

David Bentley (Blackburn)

Read 27844 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Re: David Bentley (Blackburn)
      Reply #253: Jun 18, 2008 11:07:51 pm
      Where is this word spreading from?

Read it on a few other forums and apparently its been reported on five life
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #254: Jun 18, 2008 11:59:34 pm
      If they have all but signed him then it would have been on at least either the bbc or skysports surely. After all this is spurs who seem to have the slightest bit of transfer action as breaking headline news on sky sports. Probs just forum talk ;)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #255: Jun 19, 2008 02:25:21 am
      True. I hope it is, i want us to get him seeing as he is the most impressive right winger we have been linked to (that we actually look like we could get i mean).

Would be good to see him at liverpool. And seeing as we (stupidly) didnt use the riise sale to get mancini, we need to sort out a deal for a new RM soon.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #256: Jun 21, 2008 07:03:58 am
      Just wanted to ask if Babel is in your plans lil cisse? I think if we get Silva, Babel will shift to the right.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #257: Jun 21, 2008 12:05:59 pm
      Just wanted to ask if Babel is in your plans lil cisse? I think if we get Silva, Babel will shift to the right.

More than most. I prefer to use him as a striker as I feel we are wasting his time if we leave him out wide for another season, a player doesnt need two to get used to taking players on. There has been talk of people wanting to stay with the 4-2-3-1 and having Torres as the lone striker but everytime a new striker has been mentioned people have been keen to us him as a striker alongside torres but dont seem anywhere near as keen to give babel a shot at being torres long term strike partner next season. I think we need to give him a chance, I know torres has been phenominal but that has already stopped crouch from playing upfront and now he's going to leave, torres is amazing but we should still give other players a chance to partner him.

Although I want him to get a chance upfront, im not getting my hopes up as I know its unlikely. I actually think it would benefit both us and him for him to play upfront, he isnt a winger so I dont see the logic in playing him there for more than one season, it could both dent his confidence by making him assume we dont think he's good enough to play upfront and make him unhappy that he isnt even getting a fair shot at playing there. I actually dont see a way he could force his way in upfront, if he plays well out wide he will just be played there more, it looked like he had a chance when crouch and voronin were rumoured to be leaving but we look like we will look for a replacement. Also when I stated that we should have got bentley we hadnt been properly linked to Silva like we have recently.
      « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2008 12:32:46 pm by lil cisse »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #258: Jun 21, 2008 03:21:02 pm
      What i thought mate. Thats why i've been repeatedly bringing him up. In 3 threads i've asked what people are thinking of doing with Babel. He is a natural finisher and can work off another striker or do it himself.

Whatever we do though we have to leave someone out. 4-4-2 leaves either Masch or Xabi out for Babel to play, 4-2-3-1 leaves Babel out on the wing. Feel sorry for the kid, he will be a star just wont get the chance im afraid and will want to leave.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #259: Jun 21, 2008 08:51:39 pm
      What I thought mate. Thats why I've been repeatedly bringing him up. In 3 threads I've asked what people are thinking of doing with Babel. He is a natural finisher and can work off another striker or do it himself.

Whatever we do though we have to leave someone out. 4-4-2 leaves either Masch or Xabi out for Babel to play, 4-2-3-1 leaves Babel out on the wing. Feel sorry for the kid, he will be a star just wont get the chance im afraid and will want to leave.

Exactly how I feel. I know its hard for rafa as he has to leave someone out but this is the kind of thing I mean when I say rafa is too stubborn at times. I hope babel does get a shot he clearly has the ability and all the attributes, his goal against derby (despite the opposition) showed exactly what you want in a striker, trickery to decieve the defenders, technique to keep the ball within such close range with a great first touch, composure to pull that off without messing up the dummy or the shot and his finish was fantastic to round it all off. It seems when you see it like he cant miss once he's left the defenders but its still a great finish to the whole move the way he puts the ball in the net.

He is so desperate to play upfront we can all see it and I do hope rafa gives him a chance to play there. It must be tough to have to upset someone to make someone else in the team happy. I dont want Babel to end up wanting to leave though because he is playing in a position he doesnt want to play in.
      « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2008 08:54:58 pm by lil cisse »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #260: Jun 23, 2008 09:23:21 pm
      I wonder if Ince being the new blackburn boss would give us an advantage if we launched a bid for him along with say spurs
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #261: Jun 23, 2008 09:26:53 pm
      I wonder if Ince being the new blackburn boss would give us an advantage if we launched a bid for him along with say spurs

Ince might not want to let him go now  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #262: Jun 23, 2008 09:38:41 pm
      Ince might not want to let him go now  ;)

very true
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #263: Jun 23, 2008 10:01:12 pm
      I think Ince will do everything in his power to keep him sweet and at Blackburn for as long as he can .After all he will want the best squad possible for his first season in top flight managment.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #264: Jun 23, 2008 10:05:16 pm
      I think Ince will do everything in his power to keep him sweet and at Blackburn for as long as he can .After all he will want the best squad possible for his first season in top flight managment.

I see your point but on the other hand he might want extra funds to build his own squad.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #265: Jun 24, 2008 02:03:16 am
      I think if a player doesn't want to play for him then he has to go because it is no good to have a player who doesn't want play for you. That way Ince can cash in and buy players who he knows will want to be a part of his squad and play for him.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #266: Jun 24, 2008 02:36:08 am
      I would be surprised if Ince would be so eager to sell one of the clubs main on field assets.

If a bid was to be made hopefully if we were to fighting for him against another team, we would have the edge.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #267: Jun 24, 2008 06:45:41 pm
      He's come out today and said Bentley's going nowhere  ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,127 posts | 454 
      Reply #268: Jun 26, 2008 07:19:26 pm
      I think Mark Hughes departures makes it an absolute definite for Bentley leaving.  The only thing that may prelong his stay is if one of the top four don't go for him.  SO Rafa F**k MON go for him as VIlla don't have a chance to get him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #269: Jun 26, 2008 07:31:18 pm
      I personally think that Rafa should see if he can get Silva or not before he goes for Bentley and if we cant get him then get Bentley instead
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #270: Jun 27, 2008 10:40:34 am
      From today's Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/bentley-tells-ince-he-wants-to-leave-855313.html

Bentley tells Ince he wants to leave

David Bentley has wasted no time in spelling out his intention of leaving Blackburn to the club's new manager Paul Ince. The England international had a meeting with Ince at the club's training ground on Wednesday, when he told him that he wants Rovers to sell him despite the new manager's insistence that he was not prepared to part with any of his star names.

Bentley had not made any secret of his desire to leave the club prior to Ince's appointment as manager last Sunday. However, the speed with which he confronted Ince has surprised those at the club.

Blackburn are privately resigned to selling the player if one of the four Champions League sides makes an offer but, despite some preliminary interest from Liverpool that has not been followed up, there is no evidence that the player is in demand.

Ince made keeping Bentley and the striker Roque Santa Cruz his priority when he gave his first press conference in the job on Tuesday. "If the players tell me they want to go and I say no, they will have to knuckle down and help this club go forward," Ince said at the time. Bentley has been told that he can leave if a big four club make an acceptable offer, but otherwise he will be obliged to toe the line that Ince set out in his first day in the job.

The problem for Bentley is his decision to sign a new contract last year that ties him to the club until 2011, not exactly establishing for himself the strongest negotiating position. The discussion over him rejecting a new deal this summer was pretty academic, as all that was on offer was improved terms. With three years left on his deal it is the club who believe they have the upper hand with the 23-year-old.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #271: Jun 27, 2008 12:51:55 pm
      That crystal ball i pulled out earlier is sitting here, 12 million it says still.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #272: Jun 27, 2008 03:43:01 pm
      Then he would be worth it IMO if we were to get him for 12 mill.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #273: Jun 27, 2008 03:45:58 pm
      That crystal ball i pulled out earlier is sitting here, 12 million it says still.

I'd love it if we got him for that amount, but I'd be surprised. That's the same figure that's being waved around for Downing, isn't it? I know which one I'd prefer us to buy!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #274: Jun 28, 2008 02:22:55 pm
      i believe bentley is a good player. However, despite me going on and on about him for some time, i have kind of gone of us signing him. If u look at him when he plays for england,although england make every player look bad, he dosent play as well as we have come to expect from him. It is this reason why i am not sure if he could adapt to champions league football. I could be very wrong though
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #275: Jul 02, 2008 09:41:28 am
      I am liking Rafa benitez' transfer targets! I really thing Bentley should be one of the players Anfield-bound!

Quick Reply