Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool V Blackburn Match Thread

Read 10844 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool V Blackburn Match Thread
      Reply #161: Apr 13, 2008 03:59:28 pm
      To be honest, at the moment neither are worthy of a first team place next season. If we are to play 3 in the center like we have been playing mostly this season, then Mascherano, Gerrard are worthy, and a decent center midfielder is needed to be bought in the summer...

Agreed mate, the Modric rumours seem clearer to me now. Lucas though, disappointing. Young Brazilian of the year and he has been pretty dull this season. I'm willing to give him a go next season necause as a young Brazilian especially it can be difficult to adjust quickly. Needs some time in the gym.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #162: Apr 13, 2008 04:08:53 pm
      Agreed mate, the Modric rumours seem clearer to me now. Lucas though, disappointing. Young Brazilian of the year and he has been pretty dull this season. I'm willing to give him a go next season necause as a young Brazilian especially it can be difficult to adjust quickly. Needs some time in the gym.

I think Lucas is another one who has been a victim of Torres' success. The majority of players, even the best of them, can take a full season to get used to the Prem, but Nando has raised the bar for everyone in terms of how well he's fitted in immediately. For his first season in the Prem I think Lucas has done reasonably without really setting the world alight, but due to the afore mentioned reasons he hasn't been so good relatively speaking.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #163: Apr 13, 2008 04:10:04 pm
      Well done you REDS!!! Same score for CHELSKI at ANFIELD!

NO, we don't want Chel$ki to score an away goal  ???
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #164: Apr 13, 2008 04:29:54 pm
      We won (3 - 1) . God game. Wanted badly for it to remain 3 - 0. Well. Voronin scored too. Good
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #165: Apr 13, 2008 04:36:30 pm
      A good perfromance by the lads cant say much more the 3 points were never in doubt.

As for Mr. Wiley get your head out of your ass! Well done to Voro for getting on the score sheet finally

IRWT YNWA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #166: Apr 13, 2008 04:54:43 pm
      For large amounts of the game we dominated it, so credit to the whole team in my opinion. Earlier in the season we found it hard to get a result against teams lining up like they way Blackburn did today.

Blackburn were defending deep making it very difficult for us to really cut them apart when we were on the attack. All we needed to break the deadlock was a bit of drive and cutting edge, which we found it a bit tough to do in the first half. But not surprisingly, it was Gerrard who was to come up with the goods - with a nice little lay off from Lucas.

I wouldn't say anyone was very poor today, but I do think Alonso looked half asleep for most of the game - you could see he wasn't happy with himself when he got brought off. And Lucas again looked a little weak in the first half, but he imposed himself a little more as the game went on. And well done to him for getting involved in our first goal. Skrtel had five minutes of sloppiness in the second half, which isn't usual and he was probably a little lucky not to see a red in all fairness. And Babel looked more concerned about players being tight on him rather than trying to beat them - some games will be like that for him but I'm confident he can keep working on these little things until the only thing on his mind is getting the better of opposing players, with the sole intention of causing damage from the kick off.

But on the whole, I don't think there was major cause for concern. The team kept plugging away whilst Blackburn kept trying to make it a scrappy game. And our quality showed in the end. We put in a good performance, so we got our reward. Well done lads!!

The ref was a nugget! I wouldn't say our first penalty shout was stonewall, but the second one for Gerrard and then the challenge on Torres in the box were poor decisions by the ref. Also that blatant foul on Gerrard in the first half, how the hell that wasn't given is beyond me. Thankfully, we didn't have to rely on fair (or the lack of) decisions by that plank of a referee.

Credit to our goal scorers - they made the result a fair one for all the graft that was put in by the lads. The only real negative apart from the ref today, was letting that goal in at the end. But the three points are in the bag and rightly so.

Well done to everyone for the minutes silence before the game. All our fellow reds will be looking down with a smile on their faces today. YNWA

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #167: Apr 13, 2008 05:08:54 pm
      Just back from the match, and a deserved 3 points eventually.

First half seemed like a European hangover.
      No real passion shown on or off the pitch, and when some quality was produced, the ref seemed to go against us.
      Obviously I've not had chance to see some of the incidents first half again, but surely we should have had a pen at least !!

Second half, still no real atmosphere being shown from the crowd, it was like going through the motions.

Great goal by Gerrard. Took in cooly with his 1 on 1 with Freidel.
      Well played by Yossi for it. He came on and showed the rest of the team how to play from the front.
      He gave us that needed energy and outlet which led to Gerrards opener.

Second goal came when we really needed it.
      Blackburn had started to grow in confidence, although not threatening our net, they were playing the ball around and making us work for it. Times this season, this has happened again and again, with the end result - an equaliser.
      I thought Torres had a clear foul on him, but yet again the ref played on, only for Gerrard to swing in a superb cross straight onto Torres' head. 30 for the season Well In Lad !!!

Subs were made, and enter Status Quo.
      Within a few minutes, Riise breaks on the right and plays the ball to Voronin, who duely finished.

Still time for an injury time goal for Blackburn, but overall a good 3 points today.

Disappointments today - crowd atmosphere.

Positives - 3 points, Torres 30th goal,

Man of the Match for me - No-one really stood out, but I'd give it Gerrard.
      None stop involvement, a goal, and a great quality cross to set up Torres.

Other performance to note - Lucas - very quiet first half, but battled hard and stood out second half.

Overall a difficult fixture usually, and 3 points in the bag.
      A minutes silence before the game was impeccably observed (barring the dick heads who leave their phones switched on)

Well played lads.

RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #168: Apr 13, 2008 05:28:09 pm
      Heard the 1st half and saw the 2nd in the pub. 3 points in the bag and rightly so after so much possession. Classy goals from Gerrard and Torres (again!) and yes, credit where due to Voronin for nicking his goal... in a tackle you have to be in it to win it and he just edged that one so fair play.

I'll need to watch the highlights or more on .tv to give a better analysis but we deserved the victory due to the effort, even if it wasn't pretty at times. When you consider the amount of games we have drawn this season and dropped the points this could quite easily have been another one of those games. Blackburn are no mugs and I had a feeling they could nick a goal hence my 3-1 prediction. Liverpool ground out a respectable result after a fruitless 1st half but applied themselves much better in the 2nd, hence the goals. I won't talk about the ref, it's all been said already save for the fact that white stick and bat are conducive to his appearance today.

3 goals, 4th place, 5 points clear. Job done. ;)

Oh no! Gerrard and Torres have morphed into the same player... :f_doh:

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #169: Apr 13, 2008 05:49:29 pm
      Remads videos didn't work this time for me, not sure about anyone else, cas also said it didn't work for her....so here you go for anyone who hasn't seen them.

It buffers for a about 10 seconds at start, then plays...ENJOY

http://www.tvgolo.com/football.php?subaction=showfull&id=1208097720&archive=&start_from=&ucat=40&

MsGerrard
      Reply #170: Apr 13, 2008 05:53:23 pm
      Well I don't really think Liverpool played very well today, you could see they looked a bit jaded from Tuesday's  performance, but we still managed to win which is the sign of a good side, to not play well and still win by a 3-1 scoreline speaks volume's for Rafa Benitez side.

All credit to the lads today, this was not going to be an easy walkover, and when it was 0-0 at half time, my 3-1 prediction was looking a bit optimistic.............. .little did I know ;D

All credit to Stevie G today for getting the ball rolling, Captain Fantastic you did it again  ;)

Torres didn't play too well today, but after what this lad's done this season, he's allowed an off day, mind you he was very well marked........still scored though didn't you Nando :), how lucky are we to have him at Anfield.

I just Love him to bits..........Fernando Torres Liverpool's Number Nine :laugh:

The referee was appalling today, some of his decisions were diabolical, I bet Mascherano was well pissed off with what Roberts got away with as well  :f_steam:

Voronin.......what can I say, bloody marvelous player, take back all I said about you mate :f_tongueincheek:

Surely now with the bitters dropping points yesterday and this win for us today, that 4th spot is almost in the bag, I would love to see Rafa blood some of the young reserve lads in the last few league games, give them a taste of the big time to see how they perform, a reward for all their hard work this season.

Well done today Liverpool...........not easy with all the crap going on behind the scenes ::)

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #171: Apr 13, 2008 06:36:36 pm
      Remads videos didn't work this time for me, not sure about anyone else, cas also said it didn't work for her....so here you go for anyone who hasn't seen them.

It buffers for a about 10 seconds at start, then plays...ENJOY

Brilliant, thanks for that link AussieRed, I didn't get to see the match as I have been sick as a dog today, finally got out of bed after the game had finished! But great news, a 3-1 is fantastic, even if from reading everyone's posts we underperformed. Just shows that the confidence of the team is high, they could have been discouraged going in at half-time 0-0 but it was just the opposite in the end.

A really important 3 points, made even more so after Everton's draw yesterday and all the behind the scenes stuff this week too. For the moment what matters is the team progress in the EPL and the CL and they're doing it brilliantly IMO. The rest of it is out of their hands unfortunately. I just hope that tomorrow mornings headlines will be about todays victory and not another Hicks outburst!  :f_steam:
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #172: Apr 13, 2008 06:40:49 pm
      A very well taken three points that looked at times if the referee had his was just going to nullify our game.  It takes a lot for Gerrard to get frustrated with officials, but we managed to make our dominance pay-off by our great captain – what a brilliant performance.  World class players bounce straight back, and after a mediocre game in mid week compared to his own very high standards, he was back to norm with another match winning performance.

I think all the players played well especially considering the crucial and very draining encounter they were involved in mid-week.  If anything the worst performance came from the stands.  We’ve all got our opinions of squad rotations, how about crowd rotation after huge games  ;)

Now that we’re in a comfort zone especially if the bitters lose to Chelsea, we can see some squad players for next season
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #173: Apr 13, 2008 07:31:10 pm
      Just got home from the game on a high after the win turn on my pc and straight into a low i honestly believe RAFA will walk if he finds out they were all in on that meeting with the german ,.On the minutes silence impeccably observed well done ,to all Blackburn fans as well
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #174: Apr 13, 2008 08:37:59 pm
      Just thought, due to this farce that is once again taking the headlines over our results :( I forgot to mention Yossis impact today was fantastic. Great player for helping to open up a defence. Would be good for him to start against fulham.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #175: Apr 13, 2008 08:39:15 pm
      Just thought, due to this farce that is once again taking the headlines over our results :( I forgot to mention Yossis impact today was fantastic. Great player for helping to open up a defence. Would be good for him to start against fulham.

Have to agree with you there lil cisse, he made a tremendous difference when he came on.   ;)
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #176: Apr 13, 2008 08:42:35 pm
      Have to agree with you there lil cisse, he made a tremendous difference when he came on.   ;)

Indeed he did.

Just reading gerrards comment on the game on sky sports website and glad to hear this from him ...

Gerrard also insisted the players were not concerning themselves with off-the-field matters after co-owner Tom Hicks this week called for chief executive Rick Parry to resign.

"We're Liverpool Football Club, we're better than that," he said.

"But we (the players) have got more important things to worry about."
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #177: Apr 13, 2008 08:53:06 pm
      We seem to have more supersubs in our team rather than first team starters.

Crouch, Babel, Benayoun.. all supersubs

Time for some real first team starters next season! Babel could be immense for us
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #178: Apr 13, 2008 09:09:39 pm
      We seem to have more supersubs in our team rather than first team starters.

Crouch, Babel, Benayoun.. all supersubs

Time for some real first team starters next season! Babel could be immense for us

Thats only 3 people you consider supersubs. We have loads more first teamers than 'supersubs'.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #179: Apr 13, 2008 09:42:06 pm
      Thats only 3 people you consider supersubs. We have loads more first teamers than 'supersubs'.

Why have I been so stupid latley? First Eddie and now you

I'll get me coat....
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #180: Apr 13, 2008 09:49:22 pm
      Why have I been so stupid latley? First Eddie and now you

I'll get me coat....

huh ?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #181: Apr 13, 2008 11:02:26 pm
      Im sure santa cruz goal never came off his shin. It was a good goal, unfortunately we didnt keep a clean sheet but it was a good goal.
      « Last Edit: Apr 13, 2008 11:07:21 pm by lil cisse »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #182: Apr 13, 2008 11:08:57 pm
      So so glad the people on MOTD picked up on Alonso's play. Showed how much impact his passes have on our matches and although it seems he doesnt have a big impact all the different passes count and set up alott of chances for us.

All those passes they showed benefitted us in some way and they were only the ones to gerrard.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #183: Apr 13, 2008 11:10:21 pm
      So so glad the people on MOTD picked up on Alonso's play. Showed how much impact his passes have on our matches and although it seems he doesnt have a big impact all the different passes count and set up alott of chances for us.

All those passes they showed benefitted us in some way and they were only the ones to gerrard.

Exactly he had a really decent game in the holding role, was baffled some people were having a go at him earlier.

Quick Reply