Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread

Read 29166 times
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool - CL Semi Final Match Thread
      Reply #230: Apr 30, 2008 10:41:51 pm
      Out  :  Reina, JAR, Hyppia, Pennant, Kuyt, Voronin, Finnan, Lucas

???

Reina are you mad, how would you replace him?
      Hyypia should be kept as a squad player, we need his experience and he'l teach Skrtl and Agger so much.

Other than that i think the rest are not good enough.  They are average players and are just mediocre.  The teams @ the top of the PL have stacks of top, world class names.  We have a few but are in need of more.

I am very proud of LFC.  Benitez has taken us to another level, we just about fell short again this season but are drastically improving.  We will keep on growing under Benitez. I'm sure if Rafa has enough financial backing we can dominate world football again!!

YNWA
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #231: Apr 30, 2008 10:42:10 pm
      I'll buy us Messi and I'll go on an enormous bender.

:lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #232: Apr 30, 2008 10:42:10 pm
      Need a total revamp of the team comes May  :-

In  :  Carragher, Skrytel, Agger, Arbeloa, Masc, Gerrard, Babel, Torres, Crouch

Out  :  Reina, JAR, Hyppia, Pennant, Kuyt, Voronin, Finnan, Lucas

What a ridiculous post. Have you nothing more constructive to say about the game without having to start this.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6976 
      Reply #233: Apr 30, 2008 10:42:45 pm
      I personally have been a long standing supporter of Rafa but what happened tonight was just bizarre!!

Long standing supporter of Rafa you say.  Interesting first post then.
      If Fernando could barely walk I'd keep him on.

Let's hope you never get his job then.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,836 posts | 477 
      Reply #234: Apr 30, 2008 10:42:59 pm
      Hmmm...

Let's face it Rafa is the man who has got us to these three semi-finals in three years. 

To be completely honest, if Benitez hadn't have replaced Torres with Babel who's to say it wouldn't have ended 3-1 and not 3-2.

Our strikers never had the ball in extra time so having Torres on probably wouldn't have helped anyway.  Look where Babel scored from.  At the end of the day, we just lacked that little bit of class.  Pennant, Benayoun and Kuyt are all a little bit lacking in quality for us, and Skrtel going off put a bit too much pressure on Sami TBH.

A good fight.  A good Champions League campaign.  I estimate that it would have cost Liverpool fans a total of £50 million to travel to Moscow for the final so just send your spends to me instead and I'll buy us Messi and I'll go on an enormous bender.
      Now that was funny. I needed that !!  My check is in the mail brother !!
      ;D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #235: Apr 30, 2008 10:43:04 pm
      Knee jerks.  I think some of you need a trip down to the out of hours.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #236: Apr 30, 2008 10:45:34 pm
      anyone else think rafa had planned to sub torres before they scored and couldn't reverse his decision after the goal?

or am i too upset to think straight ...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6976 
      Reply #237: Apr 30, 2008 10:45:42 pm
      Let's have a bit of class eh.  Stop looking for somebody to blame.

It's nobody's fault. 

Occasionally, sh*t happens.
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #238: Apr 30, 2008 10:45:55 pm
      the only way to look is forward and that is what we must do,

so this season was a slight disappointment, you cannot win them all!  if you look on the bright side our squad has serious potential there

top 3 in the world keeper in reina
      carragher and skrtel - a defensive partnership that is looking so promising, skrtel is looking top dollar - plus don't forget agger
      an awesome defensive midfielder in mascherano
      the heart and soul of liverpool in stevie g
      and a 30 a season striker in el nino torres

all we now need is out and out wingers, and more defensive options as wing backs

the future's bright, the future is RED
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4959 
      Reply #239: Apr 30, 2008 10:46:16 pm
      8,9 minutes into ET you take off your 30 goal striker! If Fernando could barely walk I'd keep him on.

Been listening too much to the SKY commentators I feel. Try and form an opinion of your own before posting such rubbish.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #240: Apr 30, 2008 10:46:21 pm
      Wish I was going to the last home game on Sunday. Everyone needs to sing their hearts out for the boys!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,132 posts | 456 
      Reply #241: Apr 30, 2008 10:46:47 pm
      There are two positive notes for the loss, firstly it would be disasterous to lose to utd as they are not in competition with us in the champ league our record is totally different class.  Giving them anything in the champions league would just be heartache.  Secondly, a champions league victory or the final alone might just give Hicks the finances to hold out for another season and trying to over value the club.  This should now make it certain that DIC will take over in the next few weeks.

The game itself was very close and the difference was a stone wall penalty and the much controversial Riise own goal that will not be forgotten in a rush that was down to not only a bad decision by our player but equally it was the officials finding so much extra time.   Riise managed to put in one of his better performances this season.  For me everyone played well if anything I expected a little bit more from Pennant.  I think it's easy to contemplate the outcome if Torres was kept on the pitch, but then who would have thought that Chelsea were to score a third goal.  It just wasn't our tie, but hey we have come along way to out play chelsea in both leg is a positive for the future, lets just hope the boardroom drama is sorted out as soon as possible so that we can try to have a better season next season.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #242: Apr 30, 2008 10:47:44 pm
      Let's have a bit of class eh.  Stop looking for somebody to blame.

It's nobody's fault. 

Occasionally, sh*t happens.

sh*t hit the fan tonight mate.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #243: Apr 30, 2008 10:48:13 pm
      was drogba in outside in the third goal?

We will see in TV.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #244: Apr 30, 2008 10:48:18 pm
      Dont talk through your arse !!  Hyppia has just signed a new deal and Pepe is awesome !!

Pepe is a great GK no question about that,in the top 5 in the world imo.
      But you do expect a GK of his ability to cover his near post (two goals from similar positions) :(
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #245: Apr 30, 2008 10:48:39 pm
      the only way to look is forward and that is what we must do,

so this season was a slight disappointment, you cannot win them all!  if you look on the bright side our squad has serious potential there

top 3 in the world keeper in reina
      carragher and skrtel - a defensive partnership that is looking so promising, skrtel is looking top dollar - plus don't forget agger
      an awesome defensive midfielder in mascherano
      the heart and soul of liverpool in stevie g
      and a 30 a season striker in el nino torres

all we now need is out and out wingers, and more defensive options as wing backs

the future's bright, the future is RED

Nice positive qoute ;D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #246: Apr 30, 2008 10:50:13 pm
      The one thing we did well in the second half was to press them and in the end it produced our goal but once we had scored we seemed to sit back a little and we found it tough going after we scored , I think that 20 odd mins we were pressing took a lot out of us because of the conditions but it does show that you must have a strong bench backing you up........
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,836 posts | 477 
      Reply #247: Apr 30, 2008 10:50:58 pm
      Screwed that up, I was thinking the same. It would be alot worse if we lost to Man U in the Final.
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #248: Apr 30, 2008 10:52:29 pm
      Just read a few posts and realise that the pain of loosing is clouding judgement just a tad.
      First, and oh so important, someone has to lose. Today it was us, by a margin so thin even Chelsea would have to find it hard to start spouting their usual Sh%t!
      Secondly, if after every significant loss we call for the heads of players like Pepe or Rafa himself, then who are we kidding. We are been unrealistic, and perhaps don't deserve to support the team.
      I know many of us are hurting here but really, look at the positives if you can. Stretch to find them if you must, for you only make yourself more miserable by winging.
      And the last time I checked, Liverpool supporters unlike those of the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U have a bit more class than that.
      Lets get a grip shall we?
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2008 11:06:35 pm by Timi »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,678 posts | 6976 
      Reply #249: Apr 30, 2008 10:53:49 pm
      As I've said before I thought we were the better side over the course of the 210 minutes played.

Should have put the tie beyond them at Anfield.

It's natural for some people to try to apportion blame but at the end of the day we can't.  Amongst some of the F***ing idiotic posts in this thread some people have made some very succinct posts, which has made me feel so positive I've put the knife back in the kitchen drawer.
      XxGeRrArDxX
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #250: Apr 30, 2008 10:54:07 pm
      we could blame the ref for poor decisions
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #251: Apr 30, 2008 10:55:45 pm
      As I've said before I thought we were the better side over the course of the 210 minutes played.

Should have put the tie beyond them at Anfield.

It's natural for some people to try to apportion blame but at the end of the day we can't.  Amongst some of the F***ing idiotic posts in this thread some people have made some very succinct posts, which has made me feel so positive I've put the knife back in the kitchen drawer.

:lmao:

... GTA anybody?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #252: Apr 30, 2008 10:56:06 pm
      Just come from the pub read a few posts anyone who thinks we should dump PEPE is either mad or not a good reader of the game he kept us in this tie for long periods and dont forget it ,as for the rest, some you get some you dont all i will say at this moment is the ref did bottle it ,but we should not need excuses we were poor first half thats for sure ,but we came out the liverpool way and for that being in the middle of chavs and the scum fans i am gratefull they wern,t sure till the end ,look we scored two at the bridge and while its no concelation not many have done that  ,,,I will be there on sunday all the joking fans go back in youre closets.

Quick Reply