Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Grant Says Refs Help Man Utd

Read 1953 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Grant Says Refs Help Man Utd
      May 15, 2008 06:53:40 am
      From The Times website:

Avram Grant says referees helped Manchester United to title

Avram Grant introduced the first note of controversy into the build-up to next week's Champions League final by accusing referees of handing Manchester United the Barclays Premier League title. The Chelsea first-team coach expressed his relief that the showpiece match in Moscow will not be controlled by an English official, hinting at a domestic conspiracy in favour of United.

Although he did not mention any names, Grant pointed the finger at Steve Bennett, who was criticised for failing to award a penalty against Rio Ferdinand and send off Paul Scholes in United's title-clinching victory away to Wigan Athletic on Sunday, and Mike Dean, who was in charge of Grant's first match as Chelsea's first-team coach at Old Trafford in September last year, in which John Obi Mikel, the Chelsea midfield player, was shown the red card.

Grant's comments will not have gone down well at United - Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to respond in some form or another at a press conference today - and could even invite scrutiny from the FA, but they are the result of deeply held convictions. Grant has long believed that Chelsea are treated unfairly, repeatedly complaining about the number of yellow and red cards his players receive. He was even warned by a fellow Premier League manager that United would benefit from a number of close calls as the season reached its climax.

Grant has no such concerns about the Champions League final, however, although his complaints had echoes of José Mourinho's infamous rant two years ago, in which he claimed that Chelsea would never win a leading European trophy until they joined the now defunct G14 group of leading clubs. “I can say yes, I'm pleased the referee is not English,” Grant said. “I think in England there are some very good referees, but there are some, a few of them, you can influence, like you saw. Look at the Wigan game. The referee? He was, as expected, good for one team.

“I will not say more than this. I think that the game we played against United at Old Trafford, the referee, he changed the result for sure. We know that. The red card for Mikel was not a red card, the red card that wasn't for Scholes on Sunday should have been. Then there was the penalty.

“I do not think the world is against Chelsea, or English football, but in this case there were some coincidences for Manchester United. What happened is what I expected, but again I congratulate them.”

Grant could be asked by the FA to explain his comments, although that is unlikely to alter his bullish mood before the match that could define his future. The Israeli is confident of keeping his job whatever happens in Moscow, despite the club's refusal to confirm their position, and he even took the unusual step yesterday of openly referring to his friendship with Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, although he back-tracked in confirming that their relationship was a professional one between employer and employee. “It's strange that there's still speculation and I don't know why,” Grant said. “Maybe you will explain it to me.”

Grant's mood was lifted further by the sight of John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho and Didier Drogba returning to training yesterday, although the first-team coach's claim that all neutrals will be cheering on Chelsea next week may be a step too far.

“Chelsea are the favourites of the neutrals, of course,” he said. “Why do you think? Because they respect what we did this year, coming from fifth place [to finish second in the Premier League] and after drawing the first [Champions League group] game against Rosenborg. People respect these things, don't they?”

Grant emphasised his pride in leading Chelsea to their first Champions League final and promised that it would not be the last time, either. “The club was in the semi-finals three times, which means this is a good club, more than good,” he said. “The main target was to be in the final because this is the stamp of a big club. We are in the final and we want more.

“It was the dream of the club, more than anything else to be in the final. I will not speak about the past. I am very happy to be in the final. When you come to a club and it is the first time in their history, I am even more happy.

“You will see in the next year that we will develop and, although not every year, it will not be the last time we are in the final.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This gave me a good laugh this morning!  :D Thought I'd share it with everyone!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Grant Says Refs Help Man Utd
      Reply #1: May 15, 2008 08:22:23 am
      Not a good move by Avram, Fergy's players are sure to be fired up for the Champions League, even more so now.
      But I guess he showed his anger/sadness and spoke his mind.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #2: May 15, 2008 08:54:06 am
      Not a good move by Avram, Fergy's players are sure to be fired up for the Champions League, even more so now.
      But I guess he showed his anger/sadness and spoke his mind.

Yeah, we know that mind games before matches don't change the result (unless your name is Ferguson...)! Still it gave me a giggle because it's what most football fans have known for years anyway, and hopefully Sir AF will choke on his cereal this morning when he reads that headline!  :angel:
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #3: May 15, 2008 09:44:46 am
      Yeah just a load of mind games isn't it? Hes now trying to influence the ref in his direction. Not that its untrue though...
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: May 15, 2008 10:31:28 am
      What refs help Utd?never in a millions years ha ha
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: May 15, 2008 12:04:32 pm
      Everyone gets decisions their way sometimes, and sometimes against them. It's just a shame Bennet has an uncanny ability to favour Man Utd in big games.... ahem...
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: May 15, 2008 12:06:59 pm
      Spotted Avram.

Remember anfield when Malouda was hacked down by Stevie Finnan?  ::)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #7: May 15, 2008 01:29:24 pm
      Or Carra hauling Lescott down? Or Kuyt on Hleb? Like I said, it all works both ways, it's entirely down to luck, although sometimes refs are heavily influenced by the crowd, the stadium and the implications of a decision.

I don't think any club can complain about referee's too much. Of course I'll rant about a particular decision in a match - I was fuming over the Malouda decision - but I'll never go so far as to say refs favour one time, or are deliberatly against Liverpool.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #8: May 15, 2008 01:55:35 pm
      Or Carra hauling Lescott down? Or Kuyt on Hleb? Like I said, it all works both ways, it's entirely down to luck, although sometimes refs are heavily influenced by the crowd, the stadium and the implications of a decision.

I'm not complaining about any referee's.

Decisions always even themselves out over the course of the season. Just as they did last weekend.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,129 posts | 454 
      Reply #9: May 15, 2008 07:09:16 pm
      I think a few basic errors in his interviews, but I am happy to put them right.

“You will see in the next year that we will develop and, although not every year, it will not be the last time we are in the final.” [/I]

What he really meant:

You will see in the next year that we will  spend, spend and spend. And although not every year, it will not be the last time we buy ourselves into a final.
      « Last Edit: May 15, 2008 07:12:36 pm by king kenny »

Quick Reply